Pages:
Author

Topic: So many new ICO, how to check if it's scam? - page 19. (Read 14801 times)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0
February 12, 2018, 02:19:56 PM
Besides looking at the obvious website, and whitepaper. If there is no actual product, no proof or backing then I would avoid getting into it. That's the general rule of thumb I use.
Activity: 68
Merit: 3
February 12, 2018, 02:17:41 PM
at least 80% are scams, including the ones you've already bought into.

Envion?  Scam most likely.  Electroneum, definitely a scam.  Etc.

You are giving money to people who have ZERO - accountability.  It is totally unregulated.  If you were given money in an unregulated way with ZERO accountability...would you bother following through with your "design?"

Sure, there have been some real ones.  But most of the real ones, you never had a chance to buy into as they were private icos.

Here are some legit items: Augur, 0x, Civic, OMG, shapeshift, trueflip, ripple, polychain, kyber, filecoin.
Activity: 186
Merit: 10
February 10, 2018, 01:43:37 PM
No way to be absolutely sure; more over, there is also the possibility that someone that started with good intention, when he find himself with some millions on dollars in his hands, begins to think different and may be tries to find a way to keep everything.
Activity: 210
February 10, 2018, 01:23:08 PM
Research is the great solution to avoid scam ICO. in my opinion the most important is a team behind that project  Cool

You can detect that ICO is scam are not with 10 key following thread:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/the-most-important-information-when-we-decide-to-invest-in-icos-2889318
Activity: 280
Merit: 3
February 10, 2018, 12:06:31 PM
you can never be 100% sure because once they collect money it's easier just to say sorry we tried and keep it. But first thing to check is the team behind the project, then white paper. If it all makes sense, there is a good chance they will deliver
Activity: 336
Merit: 100
February 10, 2018, 12:01:20 PM
So many new ICO, and they all have new idea and tech listed on their webpages,

and even the websites use the same template...

but so many new ICO, how to check if it's scam, or worth to invest...

The only thing you could do is research. Check the background of the project and its team. See if the team that is developing the project do have the skills and experiences to make the project a potential long term success. The team's background also affects the view of investors on a certain project. It is also one of the criteria taken before rating a certain project in different sites.
Activity: 395
Merit: 129
February 10, 2018, 11:30:00 AM
There is one great tool to check if an ICO is legitimate or a scam, but you must have learned how to use it. Most people have this tool at hand, but didn't ever learn to use it properly up to all its potentialities. But if you train yourself enough in using this tools, you will almost always detect a scam ICO and distinguish it form a good one. The tool I am talking about is human brain - you should have one, it is placed by default in the skull at the moment of delivery.
Activity: 150
Merit: 2
February 10, 2018, 11:23:15 AM
I'd like very much to have an answer: unfortunately, there are so many proposals and so many aspects to check that it's very easy to make costly mistakes.
But - in the meanwhile that some rules will appear - we can at least identify and stay away from the most evident scams.
Activity: 546
Merit: 33
Rasputin Party Mansion
February 10, 2018, 06:51:58 AM
Actually there is no a safe way to detect a scam.
Of course, using common sense and normal analyze you can easily identify the most obvious cases of scam or - very often - poor project and bad management.
But don't forget that there are a lot of professional also between the scammers, and they know how to present a project in a way that it seems absolutely convincing.
Very difficult topic.
Activity: 280
EQUAL Network Token
February 09, 2018, 12:55:02 PM
A smart contract can be a key factor in choosing a project. A strong team will always have a good smart contract. My subjective opinion
Activity: 252
Merit: 102
February 09, 2018, 12:50:15 PM
we cant know the project is a scam or not, but there is a way to minimize so as not to get scam
Read whitepaper, roadmap, and how team manage that project
Activity: 406
Merit: 100
February 09, 2018, 12:46:36 PM
Guys, I've made this topic "How to recognize scam"

There is a couple of things everybody should know https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.25772947

Activity: 560
Merit: 502
February 09, 2018, 12:36:28 PM
To not be scammed you gotta analyze lending page, the developing team, if the technology is far reaching, check the statistics on sites and don't forget about the level of popularity, it's still very important.
copper member
Activity: 123
Merit: 4
February 09, 2018, 12:34:34 PM
I notice the latest trend with many ICOs is to release an alpha or preview build of the product they're releasing. This will allow you to see the direction of development the dev team intends to head. Also as others have stated, read the whitepaper, but also make sure to examine the code on GitHub if it's available. Make sure there's real code there and not just readmes.
Activity: 154
February 09, 2018, 12:14:42 PM
I'd like to know. There are so many project apparently very good that it's really difficult to make a choice without the stress of making a bad one.
But some ICO are a so bad project and a so poor management that it's just common sense to stay away from them.
So, even there are no clear rules, just some common sense can help to avoid big mistakes.
Activity: 97
February 09, 2018, 10:41:24 AM
You need to invest in the great team and good project. You should make an investment in different ICO. Do not expect only 1 project.
Activity: 126
February 09, 2018, 10:34:49 AM
You got to do your due diligent checks and research on the ICo you are interested in, study their whitepaper and understand more about the project. This will lower the chances on investing on a scammed ICo.

Activity: 193
Merit: 1
February 09, 2018, 10:31:58 AM
So many new ICO, and they all have new idea and tech listed on their webpages,

and even the websites use the same template...

but so many new ICO, how to check if it's scam, or worth to invest...

I wanted to look at it in a different way that it's not a scam rather than unsuccessful projects, but yeah a lot of new ICO's seems to be a scam or the project's idea is really bad. I frequently read whitepapers because I like joining bounties for extra profit. Sadly to say most of them seems to be a scam, so I always think twice because aside from my account receiving several negative trust, I don't want to be an accessory to the crime.  Wink
Activity: 84
February 09, 2018, 10:20:43 AM
It is very educational, every day, reading the article will know something new for yourself! I recently do the study of ICO, but I am very addictive! Every day I am more and more immersed in ICO and the only way to find out what will be good, and what a fake! And 100% do not know!
Activity: 210
Merit: 1
OMNITY Knowledge, connected
February 09, 2018, 10:07:44 AM
In theory, ICOs are a very good way to finance a start up, or even a well established business, without all the fulfillments needed for a standard IPO.
But this lack of control allows scammers to make the most dishonest posed without fear of being persecuted.
So, there is no whey to know if something is a scam, out the common sense and deep research and evaluation.
Pages:
Jump to: