Author

Topic: Starting a new FPGA mining farm/contract! Cognitive Resurrected on[Havelock] - page 157. (Read 300616 times)

legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
What's a GPU?
Okay, perhaps we're leaning towards rev3s. I think I would prefer passive heatsinks (without fans) so I could set it up like this http://fpgamining.com/gallery/fizzisist unless I'm mistaken and having individual fans along with the main ones would help.
I'm reading a few other threads as well as all of the documentation for the boards. I'm also going to find some fans to purchase today.
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
FPGA Mining LLC
I doubt you'll get these boards at $400, even if you order huge amounts.

Rev3 has the advantage that there are fan connectora on the boards and that there are heatsink mounting holes, so you can just use thermal grease instead of epoxy, which should not only conduct the heat better, but also won't fall off as easily.
And I don'think there are any Rev2 stocks left that you could buy, at least not in those quantities.
legendary
What's a GPU?
Thanks Jesse.

Fiz, I would really appreciate some guidance on that, as well as us getting some boards arranged. I saw your pictures in the gallery on your site and I think I'll be invensting in some 80mil fans soon Tongue Unless there's a significant difference I'm not aware of, I have no preference on whether I get rev2 or 3 boards. I would prefer heatsinks pre-mounted, but that doesn't really matter. I don't want to blow $100 on sinks for these, but if you recommend getting a certain kind that is a possibility. If you have any other suggestions about anything I'd appreciate that as well. I'm so excited for this I think I'm going to buy some additional shares with whatever coins I can scrounge up between now and Monday! I just found a broken link on your site: http://fpgamining.com/documentation/hardware/setup/molex5V-12V from http://fpgamining.com/documentation/hardware/setup

Thanks for the help.

An update to the investors: The computer that will be hosting these boards is currently what I use as a web server. I am going to supply my own PSU, cables, etc, so that won't subtract from the money being put towards the FPGAs.
Also, I think I'll point my 1gh I get with two 5850s and a 5830 to the contract's fund until I get some boards. This will allow me to have everything sorted out before I get the boards, including charts on the site, dividends (about one ninth of what you will receive when all boards are in place), and deal with problems that might have shown up later.

Thanks all!

-Garrett
Activity: 602
Merit: 512
GLBSE Support [email protected]
GLBSE2.0 is launching on Monday.
Activity: 720
Merit: 525
Just checked out the new website and it looks awesome! Great work there! You might also want to try to set up some stats (or maybe I missed the spot where that's planned to go). If you need any help setting that up, I can explain how I did it on my side (using munin).

Good luck with this operation! I'm excited to see how it turns out!
legendary
What's a GPU?
Okay, I'll do that. Specifics will be posted here or on the site when things get started. I will probably create a poll determining whether we should do GPUmax and a backup or solely P2Pool.
donator
Activity: 490
You asked about which pool to mine with.  I think you should still use GPUMAX even if you can only get some shares there, but I also like the concept behind p2pool.  I would suggest GPUMAX with a failover pool of your choice while you look into setup on p2pool.
legendary
What's a GPU?
Well I know what I'll be doing Monday night!

Could make soooo many jokes about this comment.

Lol, pun intended.

The professionalism has left the building.

Could make soooo many jokes about this comment.
legendary
What's a GPU?
Watching.

Also please bear in mind that GLBSE2.0 is going to be launching on Monday, so please wait until after the launch.

Nefario.

If all goes as planned, the IPO will be then. Thanks for the heads up.

-Garrett
Watching.

Also please bear in mind that GLBSE2.0 is going to be launching on Monday, so please wait until after the launch.

Nefario.
legendary
What's a GPU?
List to what he just said because he is right on.  When investors know where their money is and can see the value of the share today it builds great confidence.  I'm also interested in investing in your IPO.

Thanks. I am definitely going to do what he's suggested!
legendary
What's a GPU?
Great.  Also, keep good records and account books.  One of the things that lack in the other mining farms is the ambiguity in valuing their equities.  Every month (or whatever) release an itemized list of costs.  Keep up to date on the value of your mining rigs and the earnings they make.  With these things and the dividend information you should be able to release well documented information on your mining farm's return on assets and give your shareholders information that is easy to obtain.  People will reward the transparency by providing more liquidity for your mining farm's shares.

This stuff is not hard to do, but if you need any help you can PM me.  I would be interested in investing in your IPO.

Okay, I like that advice and will definitely utilize it. I had initially planned to keep weekly profit and hashrate charts on the site (and publicly archive previous weeks), now I will do what you suggested also. I believe the shareholders have as much or more right to know what is going on, because it really is your investment, not mine, so I will definitely keep everyone informed.

Another thing I should ask all investors: Which pool should we mine for? I currently point my two miners to GPUmax because it has been much more profitable than anything else, but in the last few days shares aren't selling for the 0.00005 they always have for me.

Thanks for the advice, stochastic.

-Garrett
donator
Activity: 490
Listen to what he just said because he is right on.  When investors know where their money is and can see the value of the share today it builds great confidence.  I'm also interested in investing in your IPO.
Activity: 532
Thanks for all of the positive feedback and math in the previous posts everyone!

I'm going to do this mainly for the fun if it, I'm not really concerned with the profit aspect of it. I don't have the resources to just buy the boards, so I thought this would be a really cool way to get into FPGA mining.

Not to be mean, this is constructive criticism and it has nothing to do with your age.  Some of the best entrepreneurs start young, but remember you are going to use other people's money to do this.  This means you have a fiduciary duty to act in the best interests of your shareholders.  Having fun is fine, but the profits for your shareholders comes first before fun.

Yes, I fully understand the duty I will be assuming. I am doing this for the experience as well as the fun and profit. Thanks for being proactive and informing me of this, I believe your assumption is fair that I may not have operated in such a way, but you can rest assured I will.

-Garrett

Great.  Also, keep good records and account books.  One of the things that lack in the other mining farms is the ambiguity in valuing their equities.  Every month (or whatever) release an itemized list of costs.  Keep up to date on the value of your mining rigs and the earnings they make.  With these things and the dividend information you should be able to release well documented information on your mining farm's return on assets and give your shareholders information that is easy to obtain.  People will reward the transparency by providing more liquidity for your mining farm's shares.

This stuff is not hard to do, but if you need any help you can PM me.  I would be interested in investing in your IPO.
legendary
What's a GPU?
Thanks for all of the positive feedback and math in the previous posts everyone!

I'm going to do this mainly for the fun if it, I'm not really concerned with the profit aspect of it. I don't have the resources to just buy the boards, so I thought this would be a really cool way to get into FPGA mining.

Not to be mean, this is constructive criticism and it has nothing to do with your age.  Some of the best entrepreneurs start young, but remember you are going to use other people's money to do this.  This means you have a fiduciary duty to act in the best interests of your shareholders.  Having fun is fine, but the profits for your shareholders comes first before fun.

Yes, I fully understand the duty I will be assuming. I am doing this for the experience as well as the fun and profit. Thanks for being proactive and informing me of this, I believe your assumption is fair that I may not have operated in such a way, but you can rest assured I will.

-Garrett
Activity: 532

Not to be mean, this is constructive criticism and it has nothing to do with your age.  Some of the best entrepreneurs start young, but remember you are going to use other people's money to do this.  This means you have a fiduciary duty to act in the best interests of your shareholders.  Having fun is fine, but the profits for your shareholders comes first before fun.
Activity: 956
Merit: 1001
The expected generation output, from 1600 Mhps, at current difficulty 1496978.5950256, is 1.075 BTC per day

266.67 shares per gpu cluster (assuming $600 for the board and 2.25/share)
so 266.67 shares get to share in 1.075 BTC/day
Those 266.67 shares would cost you 133.335 BTC (sale price of .5BTC/share)
Payback period = 124.03 days

assuming a $4.5/BTC price level, my payback period on a 1250MH rig is about 177 days

Interesting..
Activity: 504
FPGA Mining LLC
An x6500 board can do 400MH/s (possibly more with future firmwares). So this would be an 8GH/s cluster, or 1.6MH/s per share.
Hardware cost total should be around $550-600 per board (including shipping, excluding possible taxes/customs fees), so that's $11k-12k total, or $2.2-2.4 per share.
He tries to collect BTC 2250, that being around $11250 at current exchange rates, so that's $2.25 per share.

I'll leave the calculation of the monthly earnings based on the per-share hash rate as an excercise to the reader.
Activity: 134
Merit: 100
What is the expected return (assuming current PPS/difficult rates, and current cost of the hardware) for a single share?
6.3/1.5*365/5000=0.3BTC/share in 1 year or about 60%. There is no point in more detailed calculations since those are pure hypothetical, and also don't count for reward drop and all unforeseen consequences of that.
Jump to: