Pages:
Author

Topic: Starting a new FPGA mining farm/contract! Cognitive Resurrected on[Havelock] - page 54. (Read 300616 times)

Activity: 245
Merit: 250
Blood in blood out, right mainline?

The thing is, if the price increases, mining solutions that would not make ROI actually have the chance to do so. Meaning buying gear with a less than 100% ROI is just a gamble, one supposing that the price will increase.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
Within a simple model where difficulty is proportional to Bitcoin price in US dollars (or, maybe, just correlates with it positively), investment in mining securities is essentially a bet against rising Bitcoin price.

I'm afraid garbage in->garbage out (junk model).

There is clearly no causal relationship between difficulty and bitcoin price, otherwise we should be able to drive the price by increasing the hashrate.
The correlation between hashrate/price is also flaky at best.  It's impossible to make even the most basic assumptions, like !((price of mining gear) > (bitcoins mined over lifetime)) - see 99% of all the ASICs bought at consumer level to date.  We're not dealing with a rational, frictionless system.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1033
"logic"bomb  Roll Eyes

Seriously, if you price a Bitcoin security in USD, you're a retard. There is no way around that.
Just keep your bitcoins and don't invest, you'll be richer.

You're wrong.

Within a simple model where difficulty is proportional to Bitcoin price in US dollars (or, maybe, just correlates with it positively), investment in mining securities is essentially a bet against rising Bitcoin price.

In reality it is much more complex, but the general idea is the same. You can dig up a story of burnside's Litecoin mining bond, it provides empiric evidence to this theory. (Rapid rise of Litecoin price -> rapid decline of perpetual bond value.)

If you have a crystal ball and are 100% sure that Bitcoin price will go up, it probably makes sense to keep bitcoins in your paper wallet.

But ordinary people do not have a crystal ball, and they know that Bitcoin price can go down, or stagnate for a couple of years. That's what happened July 2011 - January 2013, after all.

So they need to hedge... Obviously, one can just sell his bitcoins and keep US dollars, we can consider it a baseline.

Buying mining-related securities is another way to hedge it.

And thus this graph definitely makes sense:

1. it shows performance of investment into mining security against default hedge strategy (keeping US dollars)
2. in general, price of mining hardware is in USD, so in makes more sense to price mining company shares in USD as well... they are traded on Bitcoin exchanges, yes, but Bitcoin can be seen as a payment system here.

tl; dr: You'll see how it works if you won't look at it from permabull's position.
Activity: 260
Merit: 250
USD  Roll Eyes

As much as you want to doubt it, the world still runs on FIAT. And it will probably continue to run on FIAT for a looooong time.
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
Psi laju, karavani prolaze.
USD  Roll Eyes

Dood, its algorithmic dollar!
Activity: 213
Merit: 102
legendary
Activity: 947
Merit: 1008
central banking = outdated protocol
Quit feeding the troll, people.  A religious zealot is someone who believes for poor reasons.  A religious zealot will use whatever facts he can to support his presuppositions, and when the facts fail, resort to ad hominem attacks.

Sometimes zealots are right, and sometimes they are wrong.  Even a broken clock is right twice a day.  This troll was right that not everything was perfect with Garr, and mistakes were made, but he's been proven wrong that the intent was malicious.  There is no reason to believe it was in garr's best interest to pay 32BTC just to "further the scam".  FIMB was not a scam, it was just a failure.  COG is not a scam, and when the hardware arrives, it has the potential to be very successful.  But despite this new evidence, some people aren't looking at the evidence, and some people will never be convinced.  Those people should be ignored.

Nobody should forget what happened in the past, but they should consider all the evidence.  Garr is obviously making an effort here and we should continue to encourage him to improve, hire the help he needs, etc.

(Disclosure:  I own about 1.7% of COG by shares)

+1

Thanks for your insights and contributions to Cognitive.
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
What's a GPU?
Quit feeding the troll, people.  A religious zealot is someone who believes for poor reasons.  A religious zealot will use whatever facts he can to support his presuppositions, and when the facts fail, resort to ad hominem attacks.

Sometimes zealots are right, and sometimes they are wrong.  Even a broken clock is right twice a day.  This troll was right that not everything was perfect with Garr, and mistakes were made, but he's been proven wrong that the intent was malicious.  There is no reason to believe it was in garr's best interest to pay 32BTC just to "further the scam".  FIMB was not a scam, it was just a failure.  COG is not a scam, and when the hardware arrives, it has the potential to be very successful.  But despite this new evidence, some people aren't looking at the evidence, and some people will never be convinced.  Those people should be ignored.

Nobody should forget what happened in the past, but they should consider all the evidence.  Garr is obviously making an effort here and we should continue to encourage him to improve, hire the help he needs, etc.

Thank you for your level head, theterabyte. I am working to correct everything that has gone wrong. By the end of the year (hopefully much much sooner) FIMB will be fully repaid. Fixed interest with mining is a risky thing to attempt, and it has costed me dearly.
Activity: 118
Merit: 10

legendary
I confirm having received the first half of FIMB re-payment (BTC38.56) from Garrett today. Hallelujah!

Fucking hell what a release !

We're on the good way.

Yes, this is very good news. I'll put the cognitive link back in my sig. 

Kakobrekla is not helpful at all here and should be ignored, but this is a serious issue that needs to addressed sooner rather than later.

If retards like you would listen to me, you would never get into this mess with this scammer in the first place.
Even then, I gave fair warnings to get out, 3 months ago.

Do not worry, I enjoy looking at fools being parted from their money.

That is a sick way to get enjoyment. You aren't being helpful at all because you have no substance in any of your claims, just predictions of doom and a personal vendetta.  It makes you look like a sad little person with nothing better to do than hurl feces at others from the sidelines.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1131
I confirm having received the first half of FIMB re-payment (BTC38.56) from Garrett today. Hallelujah!

Fucking hell what a release !

We're on the good way.
Activity: 175
Merit: 100
(The following is not related to Cognitive)

alincoln, I do realize that that would be the best case scenario for you. However, please acknowledge that I am taking a heavy loss on this one, so please accept a full refund of your initial investment Plus all dividends up to the last one that was paid. With that case, you've still made more money than just holding coins, which is pretty damn good.

I hope you believe this request to be reasonable. It's the best I can do.

I accept your offer. However if you are leaving half to be paid later as you said, I expect as a minimum that you schedule monthly payments according to your personal mining revenue and finish paying in 2014.

I own 7712 bonds and my withdrawal address is 1Bqg9YKE25U1BRCRm3pJiGsiFE5vvgirtB

Please confirm and post here.

Repayment for FIMB (BTC38.56) will be sent sent to alincoln today, 1Bqg9YKE25U1BRCRm3pJiGsiFE5vvgirtB txid:

I am looking forward receiving the other half in monthly payments as stated above, so I am expecting to hear from you no later than 03/04/2014. I would appreciate if you always sent payments to that same address and posted here in the sequence.

If you would like to re-pay the other half with COG shares you personally own, I am doing this one time offer of swapping your remaining BTC38.56 debt for 800 shares. While I prefer cold hard bits, I am willing to take the shares for the sake of putting a definitive end to this issue, so we can both move on with our projects. Let me know asap.

legendary
Activity: 910
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
someones doing well.. 84 btc in change.  enough to buy some mining equipment...
Activity: 843
Merit: 1001
hope the cointerra's machines are arrived...
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1131
FIMB is going to be repaid as promised to alincoin within an hour. I am very sorry for the delays here, they will not happen any longer.
Also, I just got two sCrypt rigs set up for Cognitive on Tompool.org. The mining output is viewable by looking for the address starting in "1cog".

I confirm that the GPU rig is running. The hashing was low at the start but slowly increasing as the pool calculate the average speed.

I hope you can complete your deal with alincoin asap so we can end the drama.
legendary
What's a GPU?
(The following is not related to Cognitive)

alincoln, I do realize that that would be the best case scenario for you. However, please acknowledge that I am taking a heavy loss on this one, so please accept a full refund of your initial investment Plus all dividends up to the last one that was paid. With that case, you've still made more money than just holding coins, which is pretty damn good.

I hope you believe this request to be reasonable. It's the best I can do.

I accept your offer. However if you are leaving half to be paid later as you said, I expect as a minimum that you schedule monthly payments according to your personal mining revenue and finish paying in 2014.

I own 7712 bonds and my withdrawal address is 1Bqg9YKE25U1BRCRm3pJiGsiFE5vvgirtB

Please confirm and post here.

Repayment for FIMB (BTC38.56) will be sent sent to alincoln today, 1Bqg9YKE25U1BRCRm3pJiGsiFE5vvgirtB txid:
legendary
What's a GPU?
FIMB is going to be repaid as promised to alincoin within an hour. I am very sorry for the delays here, they will not happen any longer.

Also, I just got two sCrypt rigs set up for Cognitive on Tompool.org. The mining output is viewable by looking for the address starting in "1cog".

Will respond to the rest of the questions in this thread later tonight, busy setting up more miners right now.

Cheers,
Garrett
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
Psi laju, karavani prolaze.
Kakobrekla is not helpful at all here and should be ignored, but this is a serious issue that needs to addressed sooner rather than later.

If retards like you would listen to me, you would never get into this mess with this scammer in the first place.
Even then, I gave fair warnings to get out, 3 months ago.

Do not worry, I enjoy looking at fools being parted from their money.
Activity: 150
Merit: 100
Have you thought about the fact that attacking cognitive is killing your COG/COG.F2 investment ?
It is obvious that Garrett cannot pay back FIMB. Your only chance to get back your investment (or a part of it) is to let Garrett make Cognitive profitable again.
Also attacking Cognitive is damaging all the investors. It is selfish to do that.

I am not attacking Cognitive, where did you get this weird idea from? Kakobrekla does that.

I come here and ask for my money and that's very legitimate thing to do. After a long absence, Garrett finally said on 01/31 he'd pay up half of his debt on that same day, and failed yet another time. Why someone that can't pay up would make such a statement? Is this business or child's play?

I am sorry if you don't like what you read, I'm afraid you're the selfish here or worse, you're delusional for believing Garrett can keep acting this way on his 'personal' loan and yet be a successful manager of Cognitive. Feel free to ignore me. I'll continue posting until I am paid in fully.

Let's put the blame where it belongs. Garrett is twisting in the wind and making promises he can't keep. This is a very bad sign and my personal experience with this kind off thing tells me that it cannot be further ignored. Garrett could have said that payback was dependent on receiving the hardware, but he didn't... he said he would pay half and then didn't follow up. alincoln can't be blamed for bringing this to our attention and is really doing us a favor. Kakobrekla is not helpful at all here and should be ignored, but this is a serious issue that needs to addressed sooner rather than later.

Exactly I start belive Garett is not a proper person to invest in COG. I am dropping my shares
legendary
Have you thought about the fact that attacking cognitive is killing your COG/COG.F2 investment ?
It is obvious that Garrett cannot pay back FIMB. Your only chance to get back your investment (or a part of it) is to let Garrett make Cognitive profitable again.
Also attacking Cognitive is damaging all the investors. It is selfish to do that.

I am not attacking Cognitive, where did you get this weird idea from? Kakobrekla does that.

I come here and ask for my money and that's very legitimate thing to do. After a long absence, Garrett finally said on 01/31 he'd pay up half of his debt on that same day, and failed yet another time. Why someone that can't pay up would make such a statement? Is this business or child's play?

I am sorry if you don't like what you read, I'm afraid you're the selfish here or worse, you're delusional for believing Garrett can keep acting this way on his 'personal' loan and yet be a successful manager of Cognitive. Feel free to ignore me. I'll continue posting until I am paid in fully.

Let's put the blame where it belongs. Garrett is twisting in the wind and making promises he can't keep. This is a very bad sign and my personal experience with this kind off thing tells me that it cannot be further ignored. Garrett could have said that payback was dependent on receiving the hardware, but he didn't... he said he would pay half and then didn't follow up. alincoln can't be blamed for bringing this to our attention and is really doing us a favor. Kakobrekla is not helpful at all here and should be ignored, but this is a serious issue that needs to addressed sooner rather than later.
Pages:
Jump to: