Pages:
Author

Topic: Suicide - page 6. (Read 7156 times)

legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
August 16, 2015, 03:27:38 AM
"The number of people executed in India since independence in 1947 is a matter of dispute; official government statistics claim that only 57 people had been executed since independence. However, available information from other sources indicates that the official government figures are false, and the actual number of executions in India may run to several thousand."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_offenders_executed_in_India

Has this anything to do with the topic?

Suicide is taking your life into your own hands. Rape is taking some one elses life into your hands
Religion already is the reason why suicide is ilegal, so I rather see a place where people can be set up to die, rather than jumping off a bridge .
Society needs to come to grips with some people not wanting to go through this journey. Baby boomers will change this aspect for us I think.
I have been through dark times, held a dying stranger from jumping off a bridge and saved a homeless man that changed his mind after jumping . My thinking will never change on this...My life, my choice.
The real issue is making sure people think it through and are given a safe place to die.

People who attempt suicide needs psychiatric counselling and help. In my opinion, it is not ethical to leave people who are prone to suicide on their own. My opinion has nothing to do with religion, as I am an atheist.
Activity: 581
Merit: 250
August 16, 2015, 02:18:32 AM

"The number of people executed in India since independence in 1947 is a matter of dispute; official government statistics claim that only 57 people had been executed since independence. However, available information from other sources indicates that the official government figures are false, and the actual number of executions in India may run to several thousand."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_offenders_executed_in_India
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
Never ending parties are what Im into.
August 16, 2015, 02:10:11 AM
This is retarded. These sort of things can't be permitted under the banner of religion. If we permit suicide, then tomorrow someone will invent a new religion, and claim that raping women is a part of his religious belief. And as far as I can understand, attempt to suicide is a punishable offense under the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
Suicide is taking your life into your own hands. Rape is taking some one elses life into your hands
Religion already is the reason why suicide is ilegal, so I rather see a place where people can be set up to die, rather than jumping off a bridge .
Society needs to come to grips with some people not wanting to go through this journey. Baby boomers will change this aspect for us I think.
I have been through dark times, held a dying stranger from jumping off a bridge and saved a homeless man that changed his mind after jumping . My thinking will never change on this...My life, my choice.
The real issue is making sure people think it through and are given a safe place to die.

Jains have been around along ass time and predate this new moral code.
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
August 16, 2015, 01:02:44 AM
This is retarded. These sort of things can't be permitted under the banner of religion. If we permit suicide, then tomorrow someone will invent a new religion, and claim that raping women is a part of his religious belief. And as far as I can understand, attempt to suicide is a punishable offense under the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
Activity: 446
Merit: 251
August 16, 2015, 01:02:09 AM
One of my best friends committed suicide a month ago, a boy of 18 decided to end his life because he felt worthless, government's gives no shit about mental health care. Some people have illness that can be hard to understand or diagnose, like schizophrenia and others. I hope we can all raise awareness about this issues.
Activity: 364
Merit: 252
August 16, 2015, 12:33:02 AM
Santhara is a practice in Jainism where a person voluntarily gives up water and food and waits for death.
An Indian court has ruled that this was akin to suicide and therefore illegal.

http://scroll.in/article/748119/fasting-unto-death-for-religion-is-not-suicide-or-euthanasia-say-outraged-jains

I never understood what legality or policy or government or anyone for that matter has to do with the decision to commit suicide.  Once you choose to check out, who cares if it's against the law?

I find the way society views suicide to be very strange...as if it's the worst outcome and no one in their right mind would ever do it.  There are tons of people with a level of suffering that is difficult for others to understand, and it should absolutely be everyone's right to end their life if they choose to.  What's the point of going into palliative care, being pumped full of opiates, not being able to function mentally or physically and waiting until your heart stops beating?
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000
August 15, 2015, 11:02:41 PM
Santhara is a practice in Jainism where a person voluntarily gives up water and food and waits for death.
An Indian court has ruled that this was akin to suicide and therefore illegal.

http://scroll.in/article/748119/fasting-unto-death-for-religion-is-not-suicide-or-euthanasia-say-outraged-jains
Pages:
Jump to: