Author

Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com - page 1698. (Read 3049501 times)

Activity: 83
Merit: 10
September 08, 2013, 05:06:32 AM

I also need to purchase a UPS to protect my miners. I was thinking of something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842106116

I like this, thanks!  Battery back up is pretty cool. I wander how well that works.  
I bought this PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171078
It was ~$50 cheaper when I got it.  I think we're driving up the price.

Edit:  APC makes some really good power protection products.  Problem is there are so many and I have no clue how to shop for one.  I may give them a call to see which one would be best for a Jupiter or two.  Also, no need for a battery back up now that I think of it.  If your power goes out, so does your internet.  With KNC products having internal mining software, how would this work?  Does it keep trying to connect to the internet without intervention?  I'm sure these questions can't be answered right away.  So I'm going to wait on this purchase.  Surge protectors are all we should need for now.

that's not right. If your power goes out but both your modem and router are on a UPS as well, why would your internet go out? I am mining with network devices backed by a UPS as well and I do not loose internet during a power outage. At least as long as the UPS can feed the beasts. You will need a beefy server-grade one like a SmartUPS.

Hope this helps,
   T
Activity: 91
September 08, 2013, 03:18:19 AM
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe just the Jupiter alone will need 4 PCI-E connectors. I believer each of the PCB takes one PCI-E connectors, so for both of your orders, you will need 6 PCI-E Connectors. Seems you might be needing to get that extra PSU.

Ok, a clarification on the thermaltake psu. It's got EIGHT 8-pin pci-e power connectors on four cables, which is what I meant by four connectors. Each cable splits into a pair of 6+2 pci-e power connectors. It will definitely power two miners.

Which leads back to my original question: Should I run two miners on one psu? Is it safer to run a separate psu for each unit? I do have a spare 650W corsair psu, which I could use for my Saturn and save the Thermaltake for the Jupiter. This may not be as efficient at the wall, but it could prevent both miners from crashing if a single psu fails. How often does that really happen with a 1475W thermaltake gold psu, though? The geek in me says I should use the single PSU for both units. Not just for efficiency of electricity, it means having less power cords to deal with and less space taken up by external psu's.
Activity: 251
Merit: 250
September 08, 2013, 03:10:06 AM
Battery backup! Christ, something else I hadn't thought of. Although, I don't remember ever having a power outage in the few years we've been here, so hopefully I won't ever need battery.
Activity: 752
Merit: 500
September 08, 2013, 02:38:13 AM

I also need to purchase a UPS to protect my miners. I was thinking of something like this:

I like this, thanks!  Battery back up is pretty cool. I wander how well that works.  
I bought this PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171078
It was ~$50 cheaper when I got it.  I think we're driving up the price.

Edit:  APC makes some really good power protection products.  Problem is there are so many and I have no clue how to shop for one.  I may give them a call to see which one would be best for a Jupiter or two.  Also, no need for a battery back up now that I think of it.  If your power goes out, so does your internet.  With KNC products having internal mining software, how would this work?  Does it keep trying to connect to the internet without intervention?  I'm sure these questions can't be answered right away.  So I'm going to wait on this purchase.  Surge protectors are all we should need for now.
Activity: 346
Merit: 100
September 08, 2013, 02:37:29 AM
So during my GPU mining days I bought huge Thermaltake 1475W Gold power supply, and it's been sitting in the corner waiting for a miner to play with. I have a Jupiter and a Saturn on order, which means my total power needs should be around 1000 watts. The PSU has 4 sets of pci-e power connectors, so it could technically run two Jupiters and still have over 200 watts in reserve.

The questions is; should I actually run two miners from the same PSU? My intellectual side says it's fine, because it'll be more efficient at the wall having just the single PSU plugged in. My paranoid side thinks that something might get fried in the PSU and I lose two miners 'stead of one.

Here's the PSU I have:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153154

Would this suffice for two miners? Should I go bigger? I know power here in New Mexico can be very flaky sometimes, but it's relatively cheap at 12c kwh after fees. Still need to protect my investments though.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe just the Jupiter alone will need 4 PCI-E connectors. I believer each of the PCB takes one PCI-E connectors, so for both of your orders, you will need 6 PCI-E Connectors. Seems you might be needing to get that extra PSU.
Activity: 91
September 08, 2013, 02:11:34 AM
So during my GPU mining days I bought huge Thermaltake 1475W Gold power supply, and it's been sitting in the corner waiting for a miner to play with. I have a Jupiter and a Saturn on order, which means my total power needs should be around 1000 watts. The PSU has 4 sets of pci-e power connectors, so it could technically run two Jupiters and still have over 200 watts in reserve.

The questions is; should I actually run two miners from the same PSU? My intellectual side says it's fine, because it'll be more efficient at the wall having just the single PSU plugged in. My paranoid side thinks that something might get fried in the PSU and I lose two miners 'stead of one.

Here's the PSU I have:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153154

Would this suffice for two miners? Should I go bigger? I know power here in New Mexico can be very flaky sometimes, but it's relatively cheap at 12c kwh after fees. Still need to protect my investments though.
Activity: 574
Merit: 501
September 08, 2013, 01:57:51 AM
They could have made an infinite number of things that they didn't.  They could have built some 4.5 Gh/s thing that would be available in "two weeks" and called it a fucking Pineapple.  But they didn't, so what's your point?  
erk
Activity: 826
September 08, 2013, 01:51:24 AM
They wanted it to be rack mountable for data centers.  Racks are typically 19" wide.

The case is nowhere near 19" wide.  They could have made the case 19" so it actually could be rackmounted and would have had enough space to mount a (user supplied) ATX PSU inside AND put the modules in a line.

I never said they were 19".  You can put something in a rack that is less than 19" with a shelf but you can't put something in a rack that is over 19" wide which the case probably would have been if they put 4 boards next to each other.

They could have made a 3 module 300GH/s unit for 19: racks with the modules nicely side by side in a good push pull cooling setup.

Activity: 752
Activity: 1176
Merit: 265
September 08, 2013, 01:22:22 AM
You'll find some good reviews of PSUs here on youtube, other kit too. Reviewed and in builds. IF you're sick of reading it's a more relaxing way to find out these thingsI find  http://www.youtube.com/user/TastyPCTV/videos
Activity: 251
Merit: 250
September 08, 2013, 12:53:33 AM
i dont think the psu really matters honestly. dont waste money on anything crazy. just get a decent well priced unit and you will be fine, just wait for KNC to tell us the specs first.
A more efficient PSU should give you a longer tail--but that's also when you're earning the least, so perhaps it won't matter quite as much, much as you suggest here.

These are the best power supplies you can buy, I think. I have them running in multiple computers and they run so efficient the fan barely ever comes on to cool it. Never really maxes out and they aren't over powered for the system at all. Trust me, these are high quality power supplies.

http://www.seasonicusa.com/

I got a couple lying around, so I'm all good. I'm mining with my 28Mhs GPU while I wait. Just for the sake of it. LOL!
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
Personal text my ass....
September 07, 2013, 11:49:54 PM
i dont think the psu really matters honestly. dont waste money on anything crazy. just get a decent well priced unit and you will be fine, just wait for KNC to tell us the specs first.
A more efficient PSU should give you a longer tail--but that's also when you're earning the least, so perhaps it won't matter quite as much, much as you suggest here.

These are the best power supplies you can buy, I think. I have them running in multiple computers and they run so efficient the fan barely ever comes on to cool it. Never really maxes out and they aren't over powered for the system at all. Trust me, these are high quality power supplies.

http://www.seasonicusa.com/

Activity: 15
Merit: 0
September 07, 2013, 11:03:14 PM
This thread is a total joke - you have finger pointers, speculators, trolls(negative speculators), and those who actually want to share information.  

When KNC shows the ASIC all that sh*t goes away.

felix64
Activity: 476
Merit: 266
September 07, 2013, 09:46:26 PM
Don't expect civilized behavior from the bitcoin community. It's been ravaged by scams and greed. At least he answered your question. That's more than I would've expected.

Effing brilliant bro;) thanx for making my drunken night
ImI
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019
September 07, 2013, 09:19:31 PM

Grin
Activity: 616
September 07, 2013, 09:17:42 PM
Keith from KNC says:

There has been a slight revision in our casing that we had neglected to previously explain.

The case has had an airflow improvement to ensure increased thermal efficiency.

We have ensured the hot air from the front two heatsinks is redirected, avoiding the rear chips, and is expelled from the casing by installing fins affixed to the upper casing section (despite appearing in the CAD as part of the lower section of casing). In turn this allows a sufficient amount of cool air exits to ensure a cooler operating environment for the rear heatsinks to operate comfortably.

What I don't understand is why they didn't make a wider case with all four modules side by side instead of trying to direct the air with baffles.

They wanted it to be rack mountable for data centers.  Racks are typically 19" wide.

It's not 19" wide, and not rackable.  Further, the PS is external and has to live next to the case.  Awful solution from every perspective.

absolutely! i should immediately cancel all my orders. the psu isnt in the case? oh my fuckin god!!!!!

I read that, hearing it in Cartman's voice, and absolutely lost it Cheesy
Activity: 1176
Merit: 265
September 07, 2013, 09:15:44 PM
Yes. Actually it is. Since it's the truth.

I quote: Who is going to read >400 pages and the search function of this site sucks.

I read them. All of them. And I am able to use the search function properly.

Congratulations! I guess that achievement gives you the right to belittle anyone else that comes along with a question.

Nope, but it gives me the right to point out the information you wanted in a short and effective way and critize your lack of ability to get them yourself. Seriously, if you feel emotional hurt over my comment - just don't post questions like that.

I am generally in favor of questions. Every one has them, you know? But most people try to get the answers themself first before spamming a 400+ pages thread with them.

If your question would have been: Hey does anyone know if Upgrades are possible for November orders? - I would have given the same answer in the same tone as bitcoinorama. But not to a "hey guys, I am too lazy to look for the answer myself for 5 minutes" post!

It wasn't my question.  Go back and look.

The question was mine.  Sure like the ignore - mash it all the time.  And I would have thought if I had happened across mention of how those modules are attached to the main board it would have registered.  I still don't know.  Reading 400+ pages on the chance an informed reader mentioned it seems less a good idea than asking.

You thinking about adding extra modules maybe? I wondered that too if so. Could be handy if we can , if even for a next gen module.
I've read the whole thread and mentioned it a time or two but still nothing interesting. I figured I'd wait and look for myself since I'm not likely to be wanting to do that for a while Smiley

This question was answered on the KnC forum I just saw.
""We will be releasing individual upgrade modules which you will fit into the device yourself. More information will be released on this in the coming weeks, most likely after shipping has started."

Looks good, "coming weeks" rather than month also looks nice.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
September 07, 2013, 07:36:18 PM
absolutely! i should immediately cancel all my orders. the psu isnt in the case? oh my fuckin god!!!!!

No, u should keep your orders.  You're giving me delicious lulz.  Never change.

what lulz? you are sooo fuckin right man! the psu isnt in the case!!! thats SUCH a BIG problem! no lulz here, just pure gratitude towards you.

If u knew "what lulz," u wouldn't be quite as lulzy, would u now?  Ur doing fine.
Activity: 824
Merit: 712
September 07, 2013, 07:33:09 PM
They wanted it to be rack mountable for data centers.  Racks are typically 19" wide.

The case is nowhere near 19" wide.  They could have made the case 19" so it actually could be rackmounted and would have had enough space to mount a (user supplied) ATX PSU inside AND put the modules in a line.

I never said they were 19".  You can put something in a rack that is less than 19" with a shelf but you can't put something in a rack that is over 19" wide which the case probably would have been if they put 4 boards next to each other.

I think the thing is ~16 inches wide, leaving just not enough room for a power supply on the side (remember, there's a nasty bundle of wires, PS fan exaust, and the shelves are a hair narrower than the rack (just trust me on that).  So, the PS lives on top anyhowz. Smiley

Yeah, that sucks.  Looks like most power supplies are 3.39" tall so you end up over by .14 inches if the case ends up being exactly 400mm wide.  The power supply could still go in front of or behind the unit but of course, then you have issues with blowing hot air into the case or getting it from the case.  Hopefully gen 2 will be better thought out.

ImI
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019
September 07, 2013, 07:30:50 PM
They wanted it to be rack mountable for data centers.  Racks are typically 19" wide.

It's not 19" wide, and not rackable.  Further, the PS is external and has to live next to the case.  Awful solution from every perspective.

No, u should keep your orders.  You're giving me delicious lulz.  Never change.

what lulz? you are sooo fuckin right man! the psu isnt in the case!!! thats SUCH a BIG problem! no lulz here, just pure gratitude towards you.
Jump to: