Author

Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com - page 1726. (Read 3049501 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
September 02, 2013, 10:10:59 PM
You know something makes me wonder.
Mercury has now been discontinued.
I wonder why. It sold out quick. Undecided
Probably because the Nov. price break makes it not worth the effort comparatively. While they're only using one board, they're still using the same case, and same man-power to test and ship, etc., etc.
Activity: 462
September 02, 2013, 10:07:03 PM
Prediction: Jupiter's total Gh/s will be > #pages of this thread.

lol   ---  by shipping?
Activity: 47
Merit: 0
September 02, 2013, 10:05:22 PM
Prediction: Jupiter's total Gh/s will be > #pages of this thread.
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Mining for the hell of it.
September 02, 2013, 09:59:31 PM
Okay however with that being said. Are they still going to honer the paid orders that are currently in place and by what time. All that has been said is about there other 2 miners.
Activity: 824
Merit: 712
September 02, 2013, 09:56:12 PM

They don't want to deal with thousands of small-time customers.  With the price cut, the price would have been low enough to attract tons of buyers that would have cost them too much time in customer service.
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Mining for the hell of it.
September 02, 2013, 09:44:15 PM
Activity: 252
September 02, 2013, 09:43:27 PM
Oh come to think of it possibly the recent better estimates of ultimate power usage might indicate they already reached some stage at which some additional data pertinent to estimating ultimate power usage became available.

Good point.
Activity: 1176
Merit: 265
September 02, 2013, 09:43:00 PM
I honestly don't think KNC will have all these preorders filled by end of October. I haven't seen a Knc Asic chip yet, and it is already going on September. They'd have to have everything lined up just right if they expect to get chips installed on the board without any issues and everything communicating right. Not to mention to assemble all these units and then ship out all these orders by end of October, they'd need one hell of a team.

Without seeing a chip already, I'd be surprised if they'd even have a physical prototype ready by Oct 1st.

Where is your 28nm Asic Chips?

News on Slogan, PCU, PSU, Prices, etc.., but nothing on the Chips, Where are the Chips? Still at the Design stage?

Talk about selective reading and impressive trolling. Tapeout ? Miss that part?
Activity: 19
September 02, 2013, 09:38:53 PM
Hi guys,
Does KnC allow you to sell / transfer orders? I have an order for a Saturn that I might need to part with  Embarrassed.

Thanks

They allow refunds.
Yep and I'm glad they do but I figured if anyone wanted an early October Saturn (#32xx) I'd throw it out there.

Still love KnC but life got in the way.
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
September 02, 2013, 09:35:56 PM
I honestly don't think KNC will have all these preorders filled by end of October. I haven't seen a Knc Asic chip yet, and it is already going on September. They'd have to have everything lined up just right if they expect to get chips installed on the board without any issues and everything communicating right. Not to mention to assemble all these units and then ship out all these orders by end of October, they'd need one hell of a team.

Without seeing a chip already, I'd be surprised if they'd even have a physical prototype ready by Oct 1st.

News on Slogan, PCU, PSU, Prices, etc.., but nothing on the Chips, Where are the Chips? Still at the Design stage?

No, they already reached and passed the tapeout stage some time ago, next step after that is the shipped from the foundry or bumper or packager stage or maybe, to satisfy people's curiosity, the making actual measurements of the characteristics of a completed chip stage.

Oh come to think of it possibly the recent better estimates of ultimate power usage might indicate they already reached some stage at which some additional data pertinent to estimating ultimate power usage became available.

-MarkM-
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
September 02, 2013, 09:27:34 PM
Hi guys,
Does KnC allow you to sell / transfer orders? I have an order for a Saturn that I might need to part with  Embarrassed.

Thanks

They allow refunds.
Activity: 19
September 02, 2013, 09:26:15 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks
eve
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
September 02, 2013, 09:02:54 PM

legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
- - -Caveat Aleo- - -
September 02, 2013, 09:01:02 PM
I hope KnC has better luck with its chips than Metabank is having with Bitfury's chips.  Underperforming 20% at this time... Undecided

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.3047904

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
September 02, 2013, 08:51:51 PM
Maybe the chips won't ever leave china? Cheaper and faster to send a guy there to test, then crack on with production there? I've not seen anything official mention them being assembled in Sweden, and I'd bet there's some factories over there about perfect for the job.

That slogan on their boards should have been, "Chips. Do you want to know more?"

The chips aren't being made in China.  There are no 28nm fabs in China.  TSMC's 28nm fabs are in Taiwan.  Also, KnC said the boxes would be assembled in Sweden.  I don't know where the chips are going to be mounted on the boards.  Could be Taiwan, could be Sweden.  It's not likely to be in China.

Also even IF KNC is using a production house in another country they will want the first batch of chips sent directlyto them so they can hand assemble a few boards for testing.   Nobody has thousands of boards assembled without testing.   It isn't economical to hand build a board but that doesn't mean you can't use a reflow oven and do a half dozen boards by hand to get some prototypes.
eve
Activity: 210
September 02, 2013, 08:51:30 PM
all that doing knc is good
but still no asic chip Smiley

Activity: 238
September 02, 2013, 08:43:20 PM
Maybe the chips won't ever leave china? Cheaper and faster to send a guy there to test, then crack on with production there? I've not seen anything official mention them being assembled in Sweden, and I'd bet there's some factories over there about perfect for the job.

That slogan on their boards should have been, "Chips. Do you want to know more?"

The chips aren't being made in China.  There are no 28nm fabs in China.  TSMC's 28nm fabs are in Taiwan.  Also, KnC said the boxes would be assembled in Sweden.  I don't know where the chips are going to be mounted on the boards.  Could be Taiwan, could be Sweden.  It's not likely to be in China.
Activity: 238
September 02, 2013, 08:40:26 PM
Now as far for the chips, i think they have them already but due to the high production / development costs
They are not showing it yet, because other MF could copy the basic design of the chips and they don't want that.

Maybe im talking bullshit big time here so lets call this my personal speculation (@ least an optimistic one) :-)
It's not that they have the chips--they were never going to have the chips. The chips are manufactured in China and immediately shipped to the next production house that will package and install them. That's the likely scenario.

So why are they not showing chips? Because they didn't receive engineering samples--this was a rocket run, they've got no test units at all. There's no chips to show, even though by now they've undoubtedly already been produced and are probably, at this very moment, being shipped somewhere for the next stage of production.

The chips undoubtedly exist right now, somewhere in the world--they taped out weeks ago. But even KNC cannot get their hands on one of them.

They taped out months ago.  Tapeout is just when you send your files to the fab (used to be on magnetic tape).  The chips take a long time to physically produce and go through the fab's system. It's actually unlikely this was done as a bullet run.

The chips may or may not be finished.  They could still be 'growing' inside the fab's vacuum chambers. Or maybe the wafers are finished and they're being packaged.

Once they're packaged, they'll be mounted on boards and those boards will be put inside the cases, and those cases will be shipped out to customers. KnC will have the chips for only a short period of time.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022
Anarchy is not chaos.
September 02, 2013, 08:07:00 PM
And to think, on Star Trek they meet strange aliens from different galaxies and instantly understand every word they say. lol
That's because on Star Trek the aliens aren't cognitively impaired.

Well, most of the time. See the TNG episode "Darmok" for an exception. They have a universal translator that actually works. Lovely how we can do that with fiction, eh?
Jump to: