Author

Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com - page 1829. (Read 3049501 times)

legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
LIR DEV
August 16, 2013, 12:04:49 PM
You're buying a $7000 miner but then skimp out on the power over an additional $200?  Madness!  Haha...  To each their own man, I like the reliability of PC P&C's PSU's.  They can be a bit pricey but they are solid.  Having your PSU puke on you can not only require a replacement but has the potential of damaging your components depending on how it fails.  I lean towards quality over dollars in that respect.  Just makes sense to me.  But it's cool, that extra $200 might be food on your table, so do what is best for you.
Thats great if you are only buying a single miner, some of us are buying several, and plan on more....  which could add up significantly, especially if suppliers are short on stock. Also, in any retail business... high demand usually means raising the price. You can still get a quality PSU for a good price if its not a monster
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
August 16, 2013, 12:00:38 PM
DON'T go out buying a PSU, they've stated that before. They will recommend closer to the delivery date.

You like telling me things that I already know, don't you  Tongue

Let's try the other way around - do you know which cable/cables from the PSU will be used to power the miner? (I know the answer to this one too)

You truly are the master of making a question out of a statement Cyper, that's three times in a row! Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001
August 16, 2013, 11:59:12 AM

O'rama...  Yeah, I know, but with the 4000+ people going to look for PSU's at once... One could end up in "A pickle" if the ATX's end up "out of stock" for a bit.

Thousands of people world-wide, placed over a period of a weeks - that's not going to be a problem for even one store to handle and restock. Unless there's an earthquake that takes out manufacturers in China/Taiwan/Korea then it won't be a problem.
Activity: 729
August 16, 2013, 11:58:42 AM
You're buying a $7000 miner but then skimp out on the power over an additional $200?  Madness!  Haha...  To each their own man, I like the reliability of PC P&C's PSU's.  They can be a bit pricey but they are solid.  Having your PSU puke on you can not only require a replacement but has the potential of damaging your components depending on how it fails.  I lean towards quality over dollars in that respect.  Just makes sense to me.  But it's cool, that extra $200 might be food on your table, so do what is best for you.
Activity: 812
Merit: 502
August 16, 2013, 11:58:01 AM
DON'T go out buying a PSU, they've stated that before. They will recommend closer to the delivery date.

You like telling me things that I already know, don't you  Tongue

Let's try the other way around - do you know which cable/cables from the PSU will be used to power the miner? (I know the answer to this one too)
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001
August 16, 2013, 11:56:39 AM

+1. There's not going to be a run on PSUs - at least not from KNC customers. Even 10K units isn't going to take out everyone's inventory of quality, suitable units. Just sit tight...
legendary
LIR DEV
August 16, 2013, 11:56:21 AM
£120 (Good quality PSU for example Corsair HX850)

That won't be enough. For Jupiter you would need to have at least HX1050 PSU (or better) to be on the safe side. ($240, £155)

Also, you forgot import taxes. Wink At least for Norway, that's 25% of the unit cost. Don't know about Sweden->UK
There is no reason to buy a single huge expensive ATX for the Jupiter.
You can achieve the same or better results using two smaller Power units, which cost less than a single Biggie.

What PSU will you recommend then?
In my opinion Seasonic and Corsair make the best ones, but other brands are good too - Antec, Enermax, Coolermaster, OCZ, Silverstone Smiley

O'rama...  Yeah, I know, but with the 4000+ people going to look for PSU's at once... One could end up in "A pickle" if the ATX's end up "out of stock" for a bit, and there are only so many "Good deals" around.
Activity: 574
1.21 GIGA WATTS
August 16, 2013, 11:54:57 AM

That won't be enough. For Jupiter you would need to have at least HX1050 PSU (or better) to be on the safe side. ($240, £155)
I'm 99% positive it will be enough. I don't expect Jupiter to consume more than 900W and this specific PSU have a headroom for more than 1000W

even if the Jupiter ran at 750W it still could peak at or over 1000W.  These miners aren't like a normal computers were power consumption wouldn't be 100% full load 24/7

also keep in mind that if there were any breakthroughs and I bet there will be someone if not KnC trying to tweak or overclock pushing them to their limits.
if you were into overclocking and trying to push the envelope so to speak, then you want more power.
After KnC release final spec on power consumption I'll be getting something with at least 50% more power than it needs.
Activity: 532
August 16, 2013, 11:53:00 AM

Also, you forgot import taxes. Wink At least for Norway, that's 25% of the unit cost. Don't know about Sweden->UK
You can achieve the same or better results using two smaller Power units, which cost less than a single Biggie.

In my opinion Seasonic and Corsair make the best ones, but other brands are good too - Antec, Enermax, Coolermaster, OCZ, Silverstone Smiley

Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Hell?
August 16, 2013, 11:51:50 AM
300 dollar psu for a bitcoin miner? yeah thats nuts.
legendary
LIR DEV
August 16, 2013, 11:50:45 AM

That's an overkill unless you want to power 1x Jupiter and 1x Mercury.
Actually NOT overkill, the best efficiency is achieved around 60% draw on the PSU... Just a tad expensive to do with a single ATX
August 16, 2013, 11:49:13 AM
True, but I'd rather have more power than running a PSU on the edge of its capacity.  I also like that I can switch it to silent if the load isn't that high.  A quiet miner is a friendly miner.  Haha...
August 16, 2013, 11:47:00 AM

That's an overkill unless you want to power 1x Jupiter and 1x Mercury.
legendary
LIR DEV
August 16, 2013, 11:44:14 AM

I used Amazon, and ended up with several Corsair "Builder's series" 600 watt ATX's for about 50 dollars each. I also ordered them two weeks ago, to avoid the "ATX Hunt Rush" that will surely ensue when there are 4000+ people looking for Power supplies.
August 16, 2013, 11:41:28 AM

August 16, 2013, 11:40:52 AM
Ah. thank you sir.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
August 16, 2013, 11:37:30 AM
If when they get the chips they'll start hashing and shipping, should they not have the boards already?  Or are they going to get the chips and do further testing and then construct the boards?  The reason I ask, is because BFL had numerous problems with parts related to their boards.  (I realize they are no benchmark for precision, but still)  Some components were too hot and had to be replaced, the power drain ended up being much higher than expected, and lord knows what else since getting information out of them is next to impossible.  But even the Klondike boards and such have taken quite awhile to spec out with known information about what they were getting in.  So I am just curious how this process works.  Do they have the boards already?  And if so, are there any pictures of them I can look at?  If not, how long does it usually take to get the boards built for something like this?

They said in their last announcement pictures of the PCB will be coming end of next week.
August 16, 2013, 11:33:31 AM
If when they get the chips they'll start hashing and shipping, should they not have the boards already?  Or are they going to get the chips and do further testing and then construct the boards?  The reason I ask, is because BFL had numerous problems with parts related to their boards.  (I realize they are no benchmark for precision, but still)  Some components were too hot and had to be replaced, the power drain ended up being much higher than expected, and lord knows what else since getting information out of them is next to impossible.  But even the Klondike boards and such have taken quite awhile to spec out with known information about what they were getting in.  So I am just curious how this process works.  Do they have the boards already?  And if so, are there any pictures of them I can look at?  If not, how long does it usually take to get the boards built for something like this?

Jump to: