Author

Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com - page 1832. (Read 3049501 times)

Activity: 1176
Merit: 265
August 15, 2013, 08:46:50 PM
Seeing as there hasn't been any troll comments on this thread for almost an hour, I'll ask a question.

Anyone buying one of these thought about security? Like, what to do if their miner is stolen by some bum who breaks in and thinks it's a fancy desktop PC?

Any thoughts? Getting some kind of serial number engraved on the case? Marking the PCB somehow? Some kind of tracking that is it powers up, gps coordinates get send somewhere? I imagine high end industiral machinery must have something like this to protect the investment, but I don't really know.

Someone nicks mine in February, I do a little dance and call the insurance company. Then I'd have the cash to buy either a discounted replacement or something better if it exists.
I already asked my company (Morethan) and they just said to do like I already do with other "attractive items" worth ove a grand and declare it to them. IF I didn't, it wouldn't be covered. Probably different to other companies so worth a phone call.

A simple laptop security cable and lock (maybe modified) will do to stop most thieves, they want to get in and out ASAP and won't want to mess about.
I use one on my bike and it's worked twice now that I know of.

You could also whack a Butterfly Labs sticker on it, then no-one would want it Smiley
Activity: 490
Merit: 501
August 15, 2013, 08:45:34 PM
the best type of LoJackish tracker is one that looks like it is part of the equipment. gut a cell phone with gps and make it look like part of the box and always on. then the powers that be could ping it for it's location.
Yeah, this is exactly what I meant. Something that looked like it was just another part of the machine, but actually sending out the location. Gutting a cell phone is a good idea, although would be hard to keep it powered up unless you could hook up a rechargeable battery to the PSU, so it would always be juiced up.

just about every PC has a battery to keep the clock running.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
August 15, 2013, 08:44:16 PM
Seeing as there hasn't been any troll comments on this thread for almost an hour, I'll ask a question.

Anyone buying one of these thought about security? Like, what to do if their miner is stolen by some bum who breaks in and thinks it's a fancy desktop PC?

Any thoughts? Getting some kind of serial number engraved on the case? Marking the PCB somehow? Some kind of tracking that is it powers up, gps coordinates get send somewhere? I imagine high end industiral machinery must have something like this to protect the investment, but I don't really know.

Its called Video surveillance, a big ass dog, and 12 Gauge with 00 Low velocity buck... Best Home defense ever.

That, or dig, just keep digging, they'll never find 'em down there. Wink

THAT is an epiphany... Everyones minds have just been BLOWN! Shocked
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
August 15, 2013, 08:35:05 PM
the best type of LoJackish tracker is one that looks like it is part of the equipment. gut a cell phone with gps and make it look like part of the box and always on. then the powers that be could ping it for it's location.
Yeah, this is exactly what I meant. Something that looked like it was just another part of the machine, but actually sending out the location. Gutting a cell phone is a good idea, although would be hard to keep it powered up unless you could hook up a rechargeable battery to the PSU, so it would always be juiced up.
Activity: 490
Merit: 501
August 15, 2013, 08:31:26 PM
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
August 15, 2013, 08:31:07 PM

Its called Video surveillance, a big ass dog, and 12 Gauge with 00 Low velocity buck... Best Home defense ever.

That, or dig, just keep digging, they'll never find 'em down there. Wink
August 15, 2013, 08:30:35 PM
No idea, but you'll never 'lose' one in the post! Haha. Grin
It's a vision of the future. We'll probably always put a tiny, disposable GPS tracker in every parcel we send in 20 years time...

Scarily they will still be called stamps.
As it's gps, I'd say staGPS. Stagps. A bit hard to pronounce though  Cheesy
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
August 15, 2013, 08:29:49 PM

August 15, 2013, 08:29:14 PM
It's a vision of the future. We'll probably always put a tiny, disposable GPS tracker in every parcel we send in 20 years time...

Scarily they will still be called stamps.
August 15, 2013, 08:27:53 PM
Activity: 1176
Merit: 265
August 15, 2013, 08:24:37 PM
It is better that you get out of the bitcoin game while you are ahead, I seen too many good bitcoin peeps go to prison or washed up or burnt out because they went against the big centralize banking business. You are a smart man. Just live a normal life. It is dangerous out here.

WTF are you talking about?

There are only two ways out of the bitcoin business:
1) The big centralize banking governors go after you and everything you own, and you end up in jail or dead.
2) you get out while ahead

Too many people end up in prison and dead or washed up and burnt out on the streets. If you get out early while ahead, then you are ahead.

Who do you think you are dealing with when you deal with bitcoin? It ain't all friendly and everyone giving out here. This is real life muh niggah.

Yes I have Banking VP's that have been sitting out in front of my home in unmarked cars "watching" me for weeks..   Grin

Bank Vp's don't wear white coats.
August 15, 2013, 08:22:27 PM

I'm sure software could be made that pings you ip location if the device is taken

We are going really off track here but IP location is not precise at all. It will just show the city, maybe the block/district.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/trax-gps-tracker/trax-gps-tracker-for-children-and-pets
Are they shipping by end of September?  Cheesy

August 15, 2013, 08:21:02 PM

I'm sure software could be made that pings you ip location if the device is taken

We are going really off track here but IP location is not precise at all. It will just show the city, maybe the block/district.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/trax-gps-tracker/trax-gps-tracker-for-children-and-pets
Are they shipping by end of September?  Cheesy
August 15, 2013, 08:19:32 PM

Activity: 812
Merit: 502
August 15, 2013, 08:18:58 PM

Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Hell?
August 15, 2013, 08:17:53 PM
what are the chances of theft though really? maybe since im canadian i dont worry about that kind of stuff...  Tongue
I don't know what city you live in, but ask anyone who lives in any big metropolis and they'll be sure to tell you of at least one person they know that was cleaned out.
really? wow, it really does suck down there.
Yes, but we have this big ball of fire that rises each day and that makes it pleasant and prevents us all from moving to the great white north.     I think Canada has it too but you only paid for 28 days worth of it.

lol. i dont think you know how the weather works in canada. were not in the arctic!

but yes i am jealous of your southern climates like cali and texas. florida is just pure crazy and avoid going there. lol
August 15, 2013, 08:16:45 PM

Exhausting as it's been KnC have silently been creating their own network of satellites orbiting the globe to provide precise, and accurate real time feedback of the miner positioned right next to you;

Perhaps alternatively you could just get a chain and anchor the thing? I do like the tile thing though.

Now even Bitcoinorama is (semi) trolling my question  Cry

Anyway, CYPER has put me on the right track and I'll look into that more. Thanks bud.

Now I shall return this thread to it regularly scheduled troll fest  Wink

Haha it's a joke bro. If it's very metro, you could look at renting server space somewhere, or placing it a garage if you have one, and bolting it down, to an immovable object, which essentially what arcade machines were to arcade PCBs worth thousands back then.

I'm sure software could be made that pings you ip location if the device is taken, bit GPS would be unnecessary additional hardware, redundant for most users if they keep their products fixed in a secure location.

EDIT: Boom!: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/trax-gps-tracker/trax-gps-tracker-for-children-and-pets
Activity: 812
Merit: 502
August 15, 2013, 08:15:35 PM

Exhausting as it's been KnC have silently been creating their own network of satellites orbiting the globe to provide precise, and accurate real time feedback of the miner positioned right next to you;

Perhaps alternatively you could just get a chain and anchor the thing? I do like the tile thing though.

Anyway, CYPER has put me on the right track and I'll look into that more. Thanks bud.

Now I shall return this thread to it regularly scheduled troll fest  Wink

I believe there are even smaller devices with built-in battery, that you just stick to something. And they look much less conspicuous.
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1019
Be A Digital Miner
August 15, 2013, 08:14:04 PM
what are the chances of theft though really? maybe since im canadian i dont worry about that kind of stuff...  Tongue
I don't know what city you live in, but ask anyone who lives in any big metropolis and they'll be sure to tell you of at least one person they know that was cleaned out.
really? wow, it really does suck down there.
Yes, but we have this big ball of fire that rises each day and that makes it pleasant and prevents us all from moving to the great white north.     I think Canada has it too but you only paid for 28 days worth of it.
August 15, 2013, 08:12:09 PM

I shall return this thread to it regularly scheduled troll fest  Wink
Jump to: