Author

Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com - page 1833. (Read 3049501 times)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Hell?
August 15, 2013, 08:10:35 PM
what are the chances of theft though really? maybe since im canadian i dont worry about that kind of stuff...  Tongue
I don't know what city you live in, but ask anyone who lives in any big metropolis and they'll be sure to tell you of at least one person they know that was cleaned out.

really? wow, it really does suck down there.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
August 15, 2013, 08:09:38 PM
what are the chances of theft though really? maybe since im canadian i dont worry about that kind of stuff...  Tongue
I don't know what city you live in, but ask anyone who lives in any big metropolis and they'll be sure to tell you of at least one person they know that was cleaned out.

Yes it was everybody, by their banks.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
August 15, 2013, 08:08:10 PM
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000
August 15, 2013, 08:08:04 PM
gps tracking a bitcoin miner? this is a bit ridiculous isnt it?
No, the prices of ASIC miners is what is ridiculous.

Kano and I finally agree on something.
August 15, 2013, 08:07:06 PM

So would be good to have some tech where if some clown were to plug it in, you could get a fix on the location. And then send in the feds Grin

GPS module, but I guess it is too late for design changes Smiley
Maybe Gen 2 can have it Smiley
This sounds interesting. Is it something you could attach yourself, to the case or something?

Yes, you can just place it/attach it inside. Doesn't even have to be connected to anything - it's autonomous.
A GPS tracker like this one: http://dx.com/p/portable-mini-gsm-gprs-gps-tracker-for-personal-remote-positioning-22599
Are there any that work off a regular computer PSU? Like some kind of a PCB you could attach, that might look like it's part of the rest of the machine (rather than a box that says "GPS Tracker"  Grin )

I'm not talking about a few graphics cards here. An $8000 bitcoin miner. Surely it makes sense to protect your investment from theft? And if it is stolen, to give yourself the best chance of recovering it?

Exhausting as it's been KnC have silently been creating their own network of satellites orbiting the globe to provide precise, and accurate real time feedback of the miner positioned right next to you;

Perhaps alternatively you could just get a chain and anchor the thing? I do like the tile thing though.
Hell?
August 15, 2013, 08:04:28 PM
August 15, 2013, 08:03:46 PM

So would be good to have some tech where if some clown were to plug it in, you could get a fix on the location. And then send in the feds Grin

This sounds interesting. Is it something you could attach yourself, to the case or something?

Yes, you can just place it/attach it inside. Doesn't even have to be connected to anything - it's autonomous.
A GPS tracker like this one: http://dx.com/p/portable-mini-gsm-gprs-gps-tracker-for-personal-remote-positioning-22599
Are there any that work off a regular computer PSU? Like some kind of a PCB you could attach, that might look like it's part of the rest of the machine (rather than a box that says "GPS Tracker"  Grin )

I'm not talking about a few graphics cards here. An $8000 bitcoin miner. Surely it makes sense to protect your investment from theft? And if it is stolen, to give yourself the best chance of recovering it?
Hell?
August 15, 2013, 08:03:36 PM

that is a truth fact.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1851
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
August 15, 2013, 08:02:42 PM
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
August 15, 2013, 08:02:29 PM
Anyone buying one of these thought about security? Like, what to do if their miner is stolen by some bum who breaks in and thinks it's a fancy desktop PC?

It is called good locks, alarm system, and insurance.  Make sure you get a separate rider.  Most homeowner/renter insurance policies by default have limits on high value items and computers tend to have some ridiculous low limit.  Given the economic lifespan of these devices is likely not more than a year (maybe two is you want to be naively optimistic) insurance is likely going to be a better deal.
Hell?
August 15, 2013, 07:59:24 PM

Are there any that work off a regular computer PSU? Like some kind of a PCB you could attach, that might look like it's part of the rest of the machine (rather than a box that says "GPS Tracker"  Grin )

August 15, 2013, 07:57:57 PM

Activity: 812
Merit: 502
August 15, 2013, 07:54:37 PM

August 15, 2013, 07:50:41 PM

Activity: 812
Merit: 502
August 15, 2013, 07:49:19 PM

August 15, 2013, 07:43:34 PM
Seeing as there hasn't been any troll comments on this thread for almost an hour, I'll ask a question.

Anyone buying one of these thought about security? Like, what to do if their miner is stolen by some bum who breaks in and thinks it's a fancy desktop PC?

Any thoughts? Getting some kind of serial number engraved on the case? Marking the PCB somehow? Some kind of tracking that is it powers up, gps coordinates get send somewhere? I imagine high end industiral machinery must have something like this to protect the investment, but I don't really know.

If someone were to steal your rig and didnt realise what it was I'm afraid to say it would get thrown to the side of the road.
Perhaps. But I imagine they'll steal it, bring to whoever they sell stolen goods to and say "How much will you give me for that?", regardless of whether they know what it is or not.

Thanks FUKT.

(And to the other guy that trolled my question - is it impossible to simply offer an answer if you have one or else stfu?)
August 15, 2013, 07:41:04 PM
Seeing as there hasn't been any troll comments on this thread for almost an hour, I'll ask a question.
Any thoughts? Getting some kind of serial number engraved on the case? Marking the PCB somehow? Some kind of tracking that is it powers up, gps coordinates get send somewhere? I imagine high end industiral machinery must have something like this to protect the investment, but I don't really know.
I keep seeing adverts for this.
http://www.thetileapp.com/
Sort of like Lo-Jack for gadgets.
I may be wrong but I think the range of these tileapps is like 300'

But should you set the device it is tagged to up for communicating through other tile users, if it goes beyond range it pings other closer tile users if they exist so they can bounce and alert you back.

Watch the video, if you live in a cosmopolitan area with other tile users it could be useful.

Should get one for Yifu. Grin
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1019
Be A Digital Miner
August 15, 2013, 07:39:11 PM
I keep seeing adverts for this.
http://www.thetileapp.com/
Sort of like Lo-Jack for gadgets.
I may be wrong but I think the range of these tileapps is like 300'
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
August 15, 2013, 07:36:12 PM

If someone were to steal your rig and didnt realise what it was I'm afraid to say it would get thrown to the side of the road.

Considering they all are going to be worth a ton less in no time at all why bother. Ooh look I mined 0.01BTC in 5 days.
Activity: 446
August 15, 2013, 07:32:48 PM

Jump to: