Author

Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com - page 1830. (Read 3049501 times)

legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
LIR DEV
August 16, 2013, 11:32:11 AM
£120 (Good quality PSU for example Corsair HX850)

That won't be enough. For Jupiter you would need to have at least HX1050 PSU (or better) to be on the safe side. ($240, £155)

Also, you forgot import taxes. Wink At least for Norway, that's 25% of the unit cost. Don't know about Sweden->UK
There is no reason to buy a single huge expensive ATX for the Jupiter.
You can achieve the same or better results using two smaller Power units, which cost less than a single Biggie.
Activity: 125
Merit: 100
August 16, 2013, 11:18:22 AM
With regards to tracking an idea comes to mind.  I was planning on putting a gprs modem in the router for the racks of machines to act as a backup internet connection.  $40 USD for prepaid sim card that charges $2 USD a day when active and $60 for the modem.  But the modem also has GPS.  One could easily have it not only fail over to the GPRS but also beacon the GPS location.

Again, I'm not worried about theft from a data center.

You may want to verify that you will have reception.  Datacenters tend to be wireless unfriendly.  I don't mean by policy, I mean by physics.  Lots of concrete, wiring, and steel.  Most datatcenters today use water cooled CRACs mounted on the roof so there is another couple tons of steel and water between your modem and the tower. 

This is true, however, the data center I already signed a contract for to host these has reception.   And to be clear, the GPS supports AGPS as most GSM/GPS combos do.  Unfortunately I don't know how they'll feel about what will likely become a grotesque effort in cable management for the PSU wiring.  In light of the external power supply blunder of KNC miner, I ordered a Supermicro 1400W 1U PSU to see if I could retrofit it to a molex ATX connector.   If so, the internals of the case would look cobbled, with the PSU being mounted to the wall and the power coming out the front and back into the lower panel.   But at least it eliminates the possibility of the data center commenting on how unsightly the power looks sitting on trays with the cabinet door removed.

Also to those saying "external means less heat inside the case".  Yes this is true, however it is < 100W with modern ATX supplies and typically something engineered around, requiring no more than a day of setup in OpenFOAM and 10 minutes of simulation per iteration.  Currently in our primary data center (not the one chosen for hosting btc miners), we have racks of quad E5-4650's, each pulling ~1kw per RU.  The power supply is internal and air streams are baffled internally at the fans to allow sufficient cooling.  We rarely see temperatures > 70C on the CPUs, although a defective CPU once yielded 85C and was decommissioned.
Activity: 812
Merit: 502
August 16, 2013, 11:08:18 AM

Sadly the biggest worry on shipment would be customs if anyone has been following the Avalon chip hostage crisis...

I would be driving to the customs office pronto on first hint of any delays

Feels so good to be in the EU right now and so close to Sweden. I would expect to have a 1 day delivery straight to my door Smiley
August 16, 2013, 11:06:17 AM

That won't be enough. For Jupiter you would need to have at least HX1050 PSU (or better) to be on the safe side. ($240, £155)
I'm 99% positive it will be enough. I don't expect Jupiter to consume more than 900W and this specific PSU have a headroom for more than 1000W

Check THIS review:
A quote from it:
Also, you forgot import taxes. Wink At least for Norway, that's 25% of the unit cost. Don't know about Sweden->UK

No taxes of dispatches within the EU Smiley
I though Norway was part of EU, but I was wrong: The non-EU member states of Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland participate in the single market but not in the customs union.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
August 16, 2013, 11:03:20 AM

Sadly the biggest worry on shipment would be customs if anyone has been following the Avalon chip hostage crisis...

I would be driving to the customs office pronto on first hint of any delays
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
August 16, 2013, 11:02:41 AM
With regards to tracking an idea comes to mind.  I was planning on putting a gprs modem in the router for the racks of machines to act as a backup internet connection.  $40 USD for prepaid sim card that charges $2 USD a day when active and $60 for the modem.  But the modem also has GPS.  One could easily have it not only fail over to the GPRS but also beacon the GPS location.

You may want to verify that you will have reception.  Datacenters tend to be wireless unfriendly.  I don't mean by policy, I mean by physics.  Lots of concrete, wiring, and steel.  Most datatcenters today use water cooled CRACs mounted on the roof so there is another couple tons of steel and water between your modem and the tower. 
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014
August 16, 2013, 10:52:08 AM

Activity: 125
Merit: 100
August 16, 2013, 10:44:27 AM
With regards to tracking an idea comes to mind.  I was planning on putting a gprs modem in the router for the racks of machines to act as a backup internet connection.  $40 USD for prepaid sim card that charges $2 USD a day when active and $60 for the modem.  But the modem also has GPS.  One could easily have it not only fail over to the GPRS but also beacon the GPS location.

August 16, 2013, 10:43:43 AM
I was making a basic comparison between KNC Hosting and Home Hosting and here are the results (they are based on delivery to UK).

Jupiter Hosting 6 Months costs = $2200 = ~ £1400
Delivery and 6 months hosting at home
£80 - Delivery
£550 - Power costs for 6 months
£150 - Missed revenue during transit based on 150 mil difficulty and ~ $100 for 1 BTC. Probably it will be even less for October deliveries.

So in my opinion it is not worth it to purchase hosting unless you want the quickest response in case of a fault.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
August 16, 2013, 10:31:52 AM

If you were referring to shady "shares of the resulting miner" arrangements or somesuch, nevermind you're on your own.

Obviously I'm referring to that issue Smiley
I'll order though you and then what happens?

If you order through someone who has an affiliate link you still buy through the merchants site as usual, just the referral link is acknowledged and a tally is kept for the affiliate salesperson. As per KnC's deal for every 10 sales they have a unit equal to 10% of that hashpower they have resold.

There is nothing that effects you, your purchase, or your consumer rights.

There's no greater risk buying through an affiliate, but if I personally get paid I'm seen as a scumbag, so would rather sit it out. Peace.

Dude, are you sleepy again?
You are explaining to me how much is 2+2.
I'm perfectly aware of this.
I'm just looking for a way to capitalize on the reseller program by sharing the expected dividends.

Ah...sorry...zzz.
August 16, 2013, 10:26:16 AM

If you were referring to shady "shares of the resulting miner" arrangements or somesuch, nevermind you're on your own.

If you order through someone who has an affiliate link you still buy through the merchants site as usual, just the referral link is acknowledged and a tally is kept for the affiliate salesperson. As per KnC's deal for every 10 sales they have a unit equal to 10% of that hashpower they have resold.

There's no greater risk buying through an affiliate, but if I personally get paid I'm seen as a scumbag, so would rather sit it out. Peace.

Dude, are you sleepy again?
You are explaining to me how much is 2+2.
I'm perfectly aware of this.
I'm just looking for a way to capitalize on the reseller program by sharing the expected dividends.
Activity: 280
Hell?
August 16, 2013, 10:23:54 AM
Just for the record bitcoinorama, your open day Q&A has been a huge impact on me and my decision to purchase from KNC. I really do appreciate all the time and effort you put in helping us out. Forget about all the idiots on the internet, what does there opinion even matter anyway right?

Thanks again for your help, you are appreciated!!!!! ill send some BTC your way shortly as a tip for sure.
August 16, 2013, 10:20:01 AM

Activity: 280
Hell?
August 16, 2013, 10:16:35 AM
i wonder if upgrades applied to the reseller program??? hmmm...

i guess today is the last day for that anyway.
August 16, 2013, 10:14:28 AM

Activity: 574
1.21 GIGA WATTS
August 16, 2013, 10:12:19 AM
+1
that's right, why would you need to trust the re-seller, and you have to use one.
you would be paying KnC and would be shipped directly from KnC.
there should be no trust issues
Activity: 386
August 16, 2013, 10:09:47 AM

Bitcoinorama, why don't you register as a reseller?
I'll be ordering 2 Jupiters soon and to be honest there's no one I feel I can trust.
I wrote to John K, Graet, theymos and Gavin, but nothing Sad

You don't have to trust anyone. (other than KnC)
All the reseller does is get you to order from KnC with their reseller ID.
If you're buying a new machine you use your favorite reseller's "reseller id" when you do so.
It's all done through KnC.

It's more of a referral bonus than a traditional "reseller".
That's why KnC can allow any previous customer to be a 'reseller'.

I'd imagine a couple of the popular posters will get some shiny before it's all said and done.

See the link below, It just tells KnC to credit me 1/10 of a unit if you order using my number.

https://www.kncminer.com/?resellerid=206

(^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ shameful plug)

August 16, 2013, 10:07:59 AM

Why don't you  register as reseller and buy off yourself.

Or was this the question to knc when you called them?

No, I haven't asked them that.
And I intend to purchase just 2x Jupiters, which is nowhere near the 10 sales quota.
Unless there are people who would trust me and order though me Smiley
Activity: 574
1.21 GIGA WATTS
August 16, 2013, 10:01:02 AM
Actually there was a thread where some guy had his Avalon stolen ...
but I couldn't be bothered looking for it and I don't know what came of it.

Yeah that guy had also announced to the world how rich he was through Bitcoin, his name and where he lived.

He then followed it up by selling his Porsche for Bitcoin and basking in the press again stating how rich he was, what his name was and where he lived.

He then promptly told everyone about his Avalon printing press. He may as well have left the door open to be fair. People need to use some common sense. If these were jewellery boxes you wouldn't tell all who would listed what you had and where you kept it, now would you?

Bitcoinorama, why don't you register as a reseller?
I'll be ordering 2 Jupiters soon and to be honest there's no one I feel I can trust.
I wrote to John K, Graet, theymos and Gavin, but nothing Sad

Why don't you  register as reseller and buy off yourself.

Or was this the question to knc when you called them?
August 16, 2013, 10:00:47 AM
You've been one of the few that followed through and made some calls prior to make sure you're behaving responsibly before purchasing anything here, so good luck bud Wink

When I spoke with him today he made a remark: "It's good you did a research", which most people don't do Smiley

Still I don't see a reason why you souldn't register as a reseller Smiley
It's free Smiley

I may do once chips are in their hands and proven to exist. Until which point I'm still the scum of the earth according to this forum. I'd be damned if I did, and damned if I didn't. I'd personally prefer the lesser of two evils and wait before adding any kind of reseller link for myself. The abuse is just not worth it. I'm sure if everything work out as planned there will still be reasons to demonise me. I actually kind of regret going if I'm honest.
Jump to: