Author

Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com - page 1926. (Read 3049501 times)

Activity: 201
Merit: 100
A bit disappointed that they're asking for the hosting $$$ up front. I thought it would be on a month-to-month basis. Anyone else disappointed?

Nope - doesn't bother me at all. It'll be painful for them to chase after people that don't pay their month to month hosting and then they have to be concerned about shutting off customers who just forgot to pay a bill.

I'm all for paying up front.

That could be remedied by not returning the miner to the customer until balance is paid in full, or implementing late fees and service disconnection. I don't think that's too difficult to do. If people are getting ROI, I don't see why customers wouldn't pay the monthly fee to continue to get even more ROI.

To me it looks like you pay a premium to start mining in September.  But unless BTC is $150 or higher, its just gonna kill profitability on these with the insane rate of difficulty...I guess so long as you're mining btc, you could just look at it as a deferred ROI if btc doesn't hit or exceed $150 for another 6 months..

If you order today, and then order hosting, you'd still be waiting in line until all orders before you - hosting or not - get shipped or put into hosting. So, it does not necessarily mean that you'll be able to cut the line and guarantee September mining start date. The only premium/time you save is the time it takes to ship/get through customs. Someone confirm?

Absolutely!
You get the miner based on when you ordered.
When you take hosting it means they put it online that day... the day your order comes from the factory... not 1 day sooner...
Well, actually when you paid your order! (although there are some exceptions to this)

Sorry - I was referring to those who preordered/paid and have the best possibility of making the highest return.  If you are in that position and DONT choose hosting, you could be forfeiting a substantial portion of your ROI, depending on the length of time it takes to receive the shipment - at least according to http://mining.thegenesisblock.com
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
- - -Caveat Aleo- - -
I am going to assume that not too many customers are going to pre-pay for hosting until they see a chip image (die shot) or at least are told the tape-out date. At this point it just seems like another money grab to me without any clear idea on when the miners will be available.
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001
Why not wait until late august to do the upgrade? What's the rush? It doesn't affect your shipping date.

Probably to assure the hosting right now, no?

Or just in case they get a ton more orders and can't match capacity. They did say they should be able to ramp up production to whatever order size, but come on, there's gotta be some limit.

In my case, I chose it to get the hosting option. I imagine that power capacity at their hosting facilities will be the limiting factor - it appears that hosting capacity will be more limited than production capacity.
Activity: 262
Merit: 250
I hate my family
Why not wait until late august to do the upgrade? What's the rush? It doesn't affect your shipping date.

Or just in case they get a ton more orders and can't match capacity. They did say they should be able to ramp up production to whatever order size, but come on, there's gotta be some limit.
Activity: 602
Merit: 501

legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
- - -Caveat Aleo- - -
legendary
I have the opportunity to upgrade my Saturn for $3500 and really not sure what to do. It is already pumping 200G/H/s which isn't bad for my first miner. If money wasn't an issue I'd probably just go ahead and do it.

Has anyone else upgraded their units with their upgrade packages or just kept the same?

FYI, I pulled the trigger on a Saturn->Jupiter upgrade + hosting option today. (fixed your Saturn hash rate typo above from 400 to the 200)
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
A bit disappointed that they're asking for the hosting $$$ up front. I thought it would be on a month-to-month basis. Anyone else disappointed?

Nope - doesn't bother me at all. It'll be painful for them to chase after people that don't pay their month to month hosting and then they have to be concerned about shutting off customers who just forgot to pay a bill.

That could be remedied by not returning the miner to the customer until balance is paid in full, or implementing late fees and service disconnection. I don't think that's too difficult to do. If people are getting ROI, I don't see why customers wouldn't pay the monthly fee to continue to get even more ROI.

To me it looks like you pay a premium to start mining in September.  But unless BTC is $150 or higher, its just gonna kill profitability on these with the insane rate of difficulty...I guess so long as you're mining btc, you could just look at it as a deferred ROI if btc doesn't hit or exceed $150 for another 6 months..

If you order today, and then order hosting, you'd still be waiting in line until all orders before you - hosting or not - get shipped or put into hosting. So, it does not necessarily mean that you'll be able to cut the line and guarantee September mining start date. The only premium/time you save is the time it takes to ship/get through customs. Someone confirm?

Absolutely!
You get the miner based on when you ordered.
When you take hosting it means they put it online that day... the day your order comes from the factory... not 1 day sooner...
Well, actually when you paid your order! (although there are some exceptions to this)
Activity: 262
I hate my family

To me it looks like you pay a premium to start mining in September.  But unless BTC is $150 or higher, its just gonna kill profitability on these with the insane rate of difficulty...I guess so long as you're mining btc, you could just look at it as a deferred ROI if btc doesn't hit or exceed $150 for another 6 months..

Don't know if their 62% difficulty increase is realistic... maybe worst case scenario?

It's the change over the last 30 days. I don't know how any other number could be considered more realistic than what has happened in the last month.

Agree - looks really nasty if, like me, you ordered a Mercury you won't receive until October at best. But this is probably the most realistic calculator compared to say coinish which paints a rosey picture.  Really dependent on btc...push price to $150 and thinks look much more palatable.  At any rate, I hope to use this whole experience as evaluation to determine if I continue the mining journey with KnC in March w/ their 2nd gen stuff..
Activity: 168

They have almost no risk of people not paying since they still have the miner in hands (and if u don't pay they could just point the miner to their own account) so the pay 6 months up front is a bit much.   I agree with the contract length (6/12 months) but the full payment up front is tough when that could be close to another $10k for some of us.

I think I would sign up today if it was month to month and 6 month contract. (payment of first month today).

I fully agree.

Its madness to take payment for hosting before product is available if u ask me, no?
Activity: 778
Merit: 563

They have almost no risk of people not paying since they still have the miner in hands (and if u don't pay they could just point the miner to their own account) so the pay 6 months up front is a bit much.   I agree with the contract length (6/12 months) but the full payment up front is tough when that could be close to another $10k for some of us.

I think I would sign up today if it was month to month and 6 month contract. (payment of first month today).
Activity: 8
What I understood is at this moment hashing power is 250.000 GHs.
1000 Jupiters deliver 400.000 Ghs.
There are over 3000 orders I think... (I don't know how many Jupiters, some order something else and some order 20 Jupiters)
Do the math... I just hope for only 62% increase...

Pls correct me if I am wrong anyone...
Activity: 560
yeah the whole upfront hosting kinda kills it for me also, maybe if they give you a month window to pay for it so we can use the profits of mining to pay for it other than that, it just adds more and more costs.
Activity: 43
Don't know if their 62% difficulty increase is realistic... maybe worst case scenario?

It's the change over the last 30 days. I don't know how any other number could be considered more realistic than what has happened in the last month.
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
mining.thegenesisblock.com

Pick a Jupiter in October, add in hosting fee, change power costs to 0, change pool fee to 1.5%.

Activity: 389

No, this would not be better. I imagine that the pool will only be available for internal network connections at the KnC hosting facilities and this reduces the likelihood of a denial of service attack. Reliability is what we want - not massive scale for KnC to make more pool profits.

It is absurd, putting a limit to 5s for denial solves the problem of a DDOS attack. Any current firewall has this option.

You, sir, appear to have never been under a real DDoS attack. Maybe a denial of service attack, but not a distributed attack. Maybe you think that NetworkSolutions for example, just didn't check off the right box on their firewall.

http://www.informationweek.com/security/attacks/network-solutions-recovers-after-ddos-at/240158685

If you have a Router/os  Router insert this rule in firewall

Code:
ip firewall filter
add action=accept chain=input comment="Aceptar conexiones establecidas" \
    connection-state=established disabled=no
add action=accept chain=input comment="Aceptar related conexiones" \
    connection-state=related disabled=no
add action=drop chain=input comment="Rechazar conexiones invlidas" \
    connection-state=invalid disabled=no
add action=drop chain=input comment="Bloquear Lista SSH" disabled=no \
    src-address=!192.168.1.0/24 src-address-list=SSH
add action=drop chain=input comment="Bloquea Lista Telnet" disabled=no \
    src-address=!192.168.1.0/24 src-address-list=Telnet
add action=drop chain=forward comment="Bloqueo Lista P2P" disabled=no \
    src-address=!192.168.1.0/24 src-address-list="Bloqueo de P2P"
add action=drop chain=input disabled=no src-address-list="Bloqueo de P2P"
add action=drop chain=output disabled=no src-address-list="Bloqueo de P2P"
add action=add-src-to-address-list address-list="Accesos Via Web" \
    address-list-timeout=1d chain=input comment="Conexion WebBox" disabled=no \
    dst-port=80 protocol=tcp
add action=accept chain=input disabled=no dst-port=80 protocol=tcp
add action=add-src-to-address-list address-list="Winbox Aceptado" \
    address-list-timeout=1d chain=input comment=\
    "Agrega IPs Que entran por Winbox" disabled=no dst-port=8291 protocol=tcp
add action=accept chain=input disabled=no dst-port=8291 protocol=tcp
add action=log chain=input disabled=no dst-port=8291 log-prefix=\
    "Entrada por Winbox" protocol=tcp
add action=accept chain=input comment="Aceptar pings limitados" disabled=no \
    protocol=icmp
add action=add-src-to-address-list address-list="Entradas por FTP" \
    address-list-timeout=2d chain=input comment=\
    "Crea Lista de IPs que entran al FTP" disabled=yes dst-port=21 protocol=tcp
add action=accept chain=input disabled=yes dst-port=21 protocol=tcp
add action=add-src-to-address-list address-list=SSH address-list-timeout=2d \
    chain=input comment="Crea Lista de Entradas SSH" disabled=no dst-port=22 \
    protocol=tcp
add action=accept chain=input disabled=no dst-port=22 protocol=tcp
add action=add-src-to-address-list address-list=Telnet address-list-timeout=2d \
    chain=input comment=ListaTelnet disabled=no dst-port=23 protocol=tcp
add action=accept chain=input disabled=no dst-port=23 protocol=tcp
add action=add-src-to-address-list address-list="Bloqueo de P2P" \
    address-list-timeout=1d chain=forward comment=P2P disabled=no p2p=all-p2p \
    protocol=tcp
add action=drop chain=forward disabled=no p2p=all-p2p protocol=tcp
add action=drop chain=input disabled=no p2p=all-p2p protocol=tcp
add action=drop chain=output disabled=no p2p=all-p2p protocol=tcp
add action=accept chain=input comment="Conexiones desde la red Local" disabled=\
    no src-address=192.168.1.0/24

So it is impossible to suffer because of a DDos attack.
So you put a limit connections to 1 every 5s rejected. If you has more than 100 reject per second.
With other firewalls, it is much easier. Because I have incorporated anti-DDoS
Activity: 43
mining.thegenesisblock.com

Pick a Jupiter in October, add in hosting fee, change power costs to 0, change pool fee to 1.5%.
legendary

No, this would not be better. I imagine that the pool will only be available for internal network connections at the KnC hosting facilities and this reduces the likelihood of a denial of service attack. Reliability is what we want - not massive scale for KnC to make more pool profits.

It is absurd, putting a limit to 5s for denial solves the problem of a DDOS attack. Any current firewall has this option.

You, sir, appear to have never been under a real DDoS attack. Maybe a denial of service attack, but not a distributed attack. Maybe you think that NetworkSolutions for example, just didn't check off the right box on their firewall.

http://www.informationweek.com/security/attacks/network-solutions-recovers-after-ddos-at/240158685

To me it looks like you pay a premium to start mining in September.  But unless BTC is $150 or higher, its just gonna kill profitability on these with the insane rate of difficulty...I guess so long as you're mining btc, you could just look at it as a deferred ROI if btc doesn't hit or exceed $150 for another 6 months..
Jump to: