Pages:
Author

Topic: T17/S17 malfunction: cases, solutions, remedies, RMA history - page 4. (Read 6919 times)

Activity: 13
Merit: 6
Dear Mr. wndsnb, can you tell me from which country, because I am from Europe, the state of Serbia, I am asking you so that I would know when you reply to our messages so that I can respond to you quickly and not just for a few hours.
I have no problem being next to the computer at any time of the day or night just to finally find a way to fix one hash board, also thanks for the tips so far.
Activity: 544
Merit: 589
The side of the capacitor that your probe is touching in the image is the ground side, so it would always measure 0V. The other side should be 0.8V.

The 1.8V and 0.8V flow through each chip to the next, in this image the signal travels A -> B -> C. The 0.8V enters the ASIC at A, and exits the chip at B.

To make sure the connection is being made through the new ASIC you put down, measure the resistance between these two points indicated in the following image. The resistance should be less than 1 ohm.

Hello, here I am after a break.

now I have encountered a problem that one capacitor that should pass a voltage of 0.7v does not give me any value. my question is whether to sell to replace with someone else from some other record or to do something else. The hash board is from T17e.

https://imgur.com/Gt9PdtL
https://imgur.com/gEsZ2Cb
https://imgur.com/TD6ZSAb

and I have another problem because when I'm on another hash board from the same machine it performs a voltage check on those capacitors, my test device started the hash board so now I don't know what to do with it because I just turned it off and didn't continue testing because other obligations.
Activity: 208
Merit: 46
Solder?? i see. thank you.

If the plating is still there what kind of solder you can use? lead or leaded?i guess have to add just a little for complete.
What kind of glue use the heatsinks of the S17 T17 hashboards?

At the factory, the heatsinks are soldered on using low-temperature melting point solder (~140 degC). This is what I use https://www.chipquik.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=470006.

The soldering only works if the copper plating is still on the top of the chip, and from my experience, most of the time heatsinks fall off it is caused when the plating delaminates. If that is the case, then the only options are to use a thermally conductive adhesive or to replace the chip.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 6279
be constructive or S.T.F.U

The cheapest would be the black glue from China, it's available on both Aliexpress and Zuesbtc > https://www.zeusbtc.com/RepairDetails.asp?ID=86, keep in mind that this product can't be stored outside the fridge for more than 10 days, so check with the seller as well as the carrier, the second option which is a lot more expensive but probably has better quality and easier to get would be Arctic > https://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Silver-Premium-Adhesive-ASTA-7G/dp/B0087X7262.

wndsnb also mentioned using a different product somewhere which I can't find, I hope he would chime in and post the link
Activity: 208
Merit: 46
legendary
... a little sketchy that Zuesbtc is trying to sell it when you can read it yourself with the tools needed to program the chip.

Not sure if I agree with this logic, that is a "know-how" that they utilize just like most other businesses. If members of this forum were not generous enough to share such knowledge for free, most people would not know about using pickit to accomplish the same result, plus, they make the process simpler/faster, you don't need a pc or any extra software to copy-paste and confirm the hex.

Of course, if you know how to do that it makes no sense to pay $300+ for that tool, but the average joe would probably not touch a pickit at its basic level, but I don't think it's "sketchy" by any means, and that is just my opinion.

I haven't actually programmed a chip with the firmware I read out, so maybe there is some issue with doing that that I'm not seeing. Or maybe some boards do have the read protection bit set and I got lucky.

Nop they don't, you can read and write using MPLAB without an issue.
Activity: 6
Merit: 1
[2021/01/25 22:20:02] ERROR: src/power.c:161 Malformed power response

I'm pretty sure I've seen this error from a flaky control board before, so it might be worth trying another control board.

please explain to me a little bit more about where those measuring points are.

The 1.8V for each voltage domain is supplied by a regulator shown in the photo below, and then it is transmitted through each chip. The schematic in my previous post shows the pinouts for the regulators, and the photo from my previous post shows where the voltage can be measured at each chip. I have not worked on a T17+, but on other miners there is 2nd 0.8V regulator near the other side of the board that generates the 0.8V for the chips on that side of the board for the same voltage domain.

First, check that the correct voltage is present at the output of the voltage regulator for that voltage domain, then trace it through each chip to find out where it goes bad. Most likely, a connection in or out of an ASIC chip is not good.

please explain to me a little bit more about where those measuring points are
legendary
Activity: 2422
Merit: 1706
Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.
^ In the power.c file, at the row 161,
there is some system check that it has failed.

Most likely something PSU related like Mikey said.
legendary

This usually indicates a bad PSU, either the PSU is dying or it gets way too hot because of dust, it could also be a voltage related issue, these PSUs will only function well between 200v and 240v, outside of this range in either direction usually creates problems, so you want to check your voltage as well.

There are few more things that need troubleshooting but the info you provided is not enough, please create a new topic and post the following:

1- Complete Kernel Log
2- Miner Status page

and of course, any more info you have on this, like was the miner working fine for a long period before? is it brand new? any piece of info you can provide will increase the chances of someone here giving you the right answer.
Activity: 6
Merit: 1
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this so please bear with me. I have S 17 pros and I am having a problem I have not seen posted on this thread, if it is and i missed it sorry. My miner will start get to hashing power and then after five minutes the it slowly starts to loose hashing power then resets. It will keep doing this forever if i let it. i decided to unplug as this cant be good for the miner.  I have checked the log there are no errors, no warning,  everything looks normal and can not see a reason for this to happen. it is detecting all 144 chips and all the temps sensors are fine. please help.

2. what does this mean? i can not find it anywhere i look.

if you want to help me then you have to show me where everything you say is measured, as in the previous picture
First, check that the correct voltage is present at the output of the voltage regulator for that voltage domain, then trace it through each chip to find out where it goes bad. Most likely, a connection in or out of an ASIC chip is not good.
Mr. wndsnb I have to thank you and say you were right for the capacitor

the capacitor in the first example does not give voltage in front of the chip, while the chip in front of it normally sends a voltage of 0.8v and 1.8v

https://imgur.com/zMvEssQ

also on the second hash board we have the same problem but this time it is chip number 1

https://imgur.com/MWKENUE

do you have any solution to this problem
The capacitors are just convenient places to measure, if the voltage is not correct they would not be the components you would need to replace. If voltages are bad at the capacitors, then normally either the connections are not being made through the asics, or the voltage regulator has failed.
can I use these capacitors from other hash boards, I have a lot of used ones from D3 + L3, what are their labels and how do they change and how is it examined if you replaced them well

In general, I think I have more problems with voltage than with chips, because where my machines are, there are large voltage oscillations and I would be very grateful to everyone for their help.

this is the first time i see it now i thought it was just measured in front of and behind the chip at those five points

nor did I see Zeusbtc explain the voltage domain nicely
Are you checking the IO supply voltages? Once you find where either RO or CO is bad, the next thing you should do is check the IO supply voltages (1.8V and 0.8V) for that chip. The 1.8V voltage is generated by a regulator at each voltage domain, and the 0.8V supply voltage is generated by two different regulators per voltage domain. They are fed through each chip. So the output of the regulator could be fine, but the input to a chip may not be if there is a bad connection to a chip before.

If the IO supplies aren't good, then a perfectly good chip will not have good RO, CO, and CLK signals.

You can measure the IO voltages for each chip at the capacitors shown below:

Pages:
Jump to: