Pages:
Author

Topic: TalkImg.com - Image hosting for BitcoinTalk - page 36. (Read 13206 times)

legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
I don't want to be that guy but I'm a little bit skeptical here.
I'm not Tongue Joker_josue seems to have experience hosting images.

If it becomes popular service and people upload hundreds of image daily, then you will have to seriously take care of this service, add more space, create full daily backups with incremental backups multiple times a day and even you need a cluster network of databases to lower the probability of data loss.
All this can be worked out once it happens. I know a thing or two about storing data, and while I started it for data dumps that were too large to fit in one post, I now have several TB of data. What can I say: things get out of hand!
But, while that happened, people also appreciated what I do, which lead to sponsored hosting.

Also, you'll have to optimize uploaded images without losing quality (slight quality loss is okay), so, the best way to do that is to implement something similar to TinyJPG and compress all the uploaded images automatically, this will reduce the server load, the data and things will be better for us too.
As a user, I don't like it when a host messes with my images (although wiping exif is a good thing). It's not up to the host to decide what quality losses are acceptable.

Also, don't forget that you may get DMCA complains and you will have to take care of that. I don't really know how it works or if you ever get complains but still i would say that server located in DMCA free area can be a better idea.
That's the part I would worry about much more than the technical aspects.

Does it worth to take extra expenses and extra responsibility on yourself?
I assume it's a hobby. Or maybe he just wanted to the the top-merited user this month Tongue I'm kidding of course.
Activity: 854
Merit: 772
Watch Bitcoin Documentary - https://t.ly/v0Nim
I don't want to be that guy but I'm a little bit skeptical here. There is a chance that this service won't become popular and you'll just waste money for nothing because for example, if 10 image is uploaded a day and you have a total of 3650 image in your database, if you just shut down this service, 3650 image will disappear from this forum, which, can be a problem for users. And if you don't shut down, it can become a little bit boring to take care of such service and pay some money out of pocket.

If it becomes popular service and people upload hundreds of image daily, then you will have to seriously take care of this service, add more space, create full daily backups with incremental backups multiple times a day and even you need a cluster network of databases to lower the probability of data loss. Also, you'll have to optimize uploaded images without losing quality (slight quality loss is okay), so, the best way to do that is to implement something similar to TinyJPG and compress all the uploaded images automatically, this will reduce the server load, the data and things will be better for us too.

Also, don't forget that you may get DMCA complains and you will have to take care of that. I don't really know how it works or if you ever get complains but still i would say that server located in DMCA free area can be a better idea.

Does it worth to take extra expenses and extra responsibility on yourself? I wouldn't rely on public donations.
legendary
In the few days with the project running, what I already realized is that the server bandwidth has to be considerable because the images have a lot of requests.
Does the forum's image proxy not cache them? How much bandwidth are we talking about? From what I've seen, bandwidth is expensive at cloud providers, but can be much cheaper in monthly plans elsewhere. But you probably know that already Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 4508
**In BTC since 2013**
I have to work up the courage to send a PM to @theymos.  Roll Eyes
Theymos isn't scary Smiley

I know not. I have to elaborate well the message I want to send. This week I deal with it. Wink

In the few days with the project running, what I already realized is that the server bandwidth has to be considerable because the images have a lot of requests.
But, I already have everything organized, so that none of this affects the taskimg service.
legendary
Theymos isn't scary Smiley

Image storage may not be too brutal because Talkimg is still used by bitcointalk forum users only.
But if it's used by a lot of people like imgg of course it will require bigger hosting.
I checked my own images: In the past 4 years, I've uploaded 369 images (31 MB) (I'm not counting non-image data). If you multiply that by 1000, it still fits a fairly small VPS.
legendary
**In BTC since 2013**
It's always better to do it now than later Wink
Adding donation address on website costs nothing.

I inform you that I have already added the donation address, footer of the site and in the OP.  Wink
In the third post of this topic, I signed a message indicating the donation address.
Activity: 1316
Merit: 268
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
Are you the one who created this hosting service for uploaded images on this forum platform? In fairness it's nice that you gave it away.

At least this time there are two options that can be used in this kind of photo uploading, if before it was just imgbb,
I will definitely use https://www.talkimg.com/, it will help a lot of people. here. Congratulations to you.
legendary
Activity: 2520
Merit: 1721
MrStork Exchange Service
That's not good: This domain is owned by Alibaba Cloud. If they decide to change the URL (be it soon or 10 years from now), all embedded images are gone. It also means you have a vendor lock-in: you can't move to a different webhost anymore without losing those images. I'd say change this while it's still early.
I don't like this, but I think many alternatives people are using today for uploading images are doing something similar.
We can't expect joker_josue to use his own hosting and hard drive space for this, but have you tested how imgur, imgbb and others are handling this?

I've already adjusted that aspect, and everything is saved on my server! And I will make every effort to ensure that it stays that way for many years to come.  Wink

This is what we need in this forum. consistency to maintain and ensure the service survives for the next few years.
so that the history of uplaod images is not lost.

Like what happened in satoshi's 2010 "new icon/logo" thread with images that were lost because they were no longer available on bitcoin.org hosting.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.7415

Image storage may not be too brutal because Talkimg is still used by bitcointalk forum users only.
But if it's used by a lot of people like imgg of course it will require bigger hosting.

But so far it's quite satisfying, I switched to Talkimg because of the faster process and haven't experienced any problems.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 5622
Non-custodial BTC Wallet
Great work joker_josue

Stating a new project is really exciting.  There are many challenges here, such as the ones mentioned by LoyceV about hosting cloud costs and so on.

But certainly that is an important project here and your website can really get lots of visitors and be very useful.

legendary
**In BTC since 2013**
That's not good: This domain is owned by Alibaba Cloud. If they decide to change the URL (be it soon or 10 years from now), all embedded images are gone. It also means you have a vendor lock-in: you can't move to a different webhost anymore without losing those images. I'd say change this while it's still early.
I don't like this, but I think many alternatives people are using today for uploading images are doing something similar.
We can't expect joker_josue to use his own hosting and hard drive space for this, but have you tested how imgur, imgbb and others are handling this?

I've already adjusted that aspect, and everything is saved on my server! And I will make every effort to ensure that it stays that way for many years to come.  Wink

I hope to draw on donations and perhaps accept an advertising banner similar to subscription campaigns if any campaign managers are interested. I just haven't mentioned it yet because I thought it was too early to talk about it.

Well, if you think it's better to put the donation option now, I'll add it soon.
Once again thank you for your support!

Can you please share the stats? Well, instead of sharing the visitor stats here, you can create a menu with "Advertise" and share all the necessary information with the outsider in that menu so anyone interested can analyze the data.
Do you have any plan to reach most bitcointalk users so your visitors can grow faster? I know the project is a non profit one so far but trying a ninja style marketing would attract a lot of users to use the site. Or maybe approaching theymos to put the site on the forum ad slots, that would be great for you.

It's still too early to have statistics, the site has only been online for a few days. But I'm planning to share the stats throughout the project.
I have no plans to attract more users quickly. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.
legendary
Most image sharing sites don't really care about long-term availability of user-images.

We can't expect joker_josue to use his own hosting and hard drive space for this
It's not as if cloud hosting is free.

but have you tested how imgur, imgbb and others are handling this?
From what I've seen, they host the images on their own domain, or a subdomain of their domain. That gives them the possibility to move to a different webhost without breaking external links.
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1981
Marketing Campaign Manager |Telegram ID- @LT_Mouse
I hope to draw on donations and perhaps accept an advertising banner similar to subscription campaigns if any campaign managers are interested. I just haven't mentioned it yet because I thought it was too early to talk about it.
Can you please share the stats? Well, instead of sharing the visitor stats here, you can create a menu with "Advertise" and share all the necessary information with the outsider in that menu so anyone interested can analyze the data.
Do you have any plan to reach most bitcointalk users so your visitors can grow faster? I know the project is a non profit one so far but trying a ninja style marketing would attract a lot of users to use the site. Or maybe approaching theymos to put the site on the forum ad slots, that would be great for you.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
This is a good suggestion. For the sustainability of TalkImg's image hosting, there must be a donation button so that those who want to donate and support the website to continue to exist can donate directly via Bitcoin or other coins. Image hosting requires storage that has to be upgraded when the capacity is full and this will continue, as well as maintenance costs and some other support.
For start adding bitcoin address at the page bottom for donation is also fine, but additional donation buttons are welcome addition and they can include more fiat donations, paypal, etc.

If images are created after embedding them on the forum, it will still create broken image links. The user could just edit their post so the image isn't shown anymore. It's better to have a delete-button that only works for a short time.
All posts and images is archived so changing links is not doing much, but I wanted to delete image from server itself and stop wasting space for hosting useless stuff.
I know saw some image hosting have temporary image upload that gets auto-deleted after set amount of time.
This is not best use case for forum but it can be useful for something else.

legendary
**In BTC since 2013**
But the part you said that once the image is uploaded, you can not delete it again. I don't think that part is nice because there are sometimes that one would make a mistake of uploading a wrong image and would like to delete it. So let it be that the image can be deleted within some seconds.

After uploading an image, on the page with the embed links, there is a link to delete the image. If you use this link the image is deleted. If you don't save that link, you can't delete the image.

The idea is to prevent an image loaded and posted from the site from disappearing over time. Once posted, it is visible to everyone.

Some have been asking me, how will it be in the long run.

Well, initially I was a bit reluctant to share. But, as he said, he has been working with image galleries for almost 20 years.
And one of the projects I'm most proud to have done, despite being discontinued, is still online 10 years after it was discontinued.

Between 2005-2010 it was the biggest online art gallery in Portugal.
To date, I have not been able to shut down the site. So it's online: https://jokerartgallery.com/

So friends, when I say that I want to keep this project alive as long as possible, I will! Than depending on me, of course!

Thank you for your support!
Activity: 854
Merit: 1246
This is good. I appreciate your effort in bringing such to the forum. But the part you said that once the image is uploaded, you can not delete it again. I don't think that part is nice because there are sometimes that one would make a mistake of uploading a wrong image and would like to delete it. So let it be that the image can be deleted within some seconds. Personally in must time I used imgur and the process is some how long. There are some time that the network of imgur would not even allowed you to upload image. Thanks you very for the site.
Activity: 1028
Merit: 144
Diamond Hands 💎HODL
This is a fast Image hosting you don't need to create an account just drop the image and copy the code which is convenient for a lot of members here in the forum. I might switch on using this one as a main one, didn't really encounter problem load fast as well even my VPN is on. Good luck to your project!
legendary
**In BTC since 2013**
Can I make a daily backup? My (donated) dedicated server has enough space to keep this up, and I like making incremental backups with rsync. This gives a TimeMachine overview of old snapshots, in which all existing files get hardlinked instead of downloaded again. I manually clean up older backups once in a while.
This would require access to use rsync on your server though.

You can send me a PM about what you need, so we can take care of it. The more backups there are the better. Wink

Hope not too early to ask this question, but have you considered having support staff to your service that can dedicate resources to the continued running of TalkImg for the image hosting service for BitcoinTalk?

My goal is clear: to keep the site running as long as possible! And as you can see in my response to LoyceV, I want everything to be secured so that it always works.
I've been working with image gallery websites for 20 years. I know the resources I need to keep everything running and viable.
What I might ask for is support for maintenance costs. But for now it is something I can handle.

But first I would have to find the API or at least reverse-engineer the endpoint for uploading images.

It wasn't something I had planned for right now. But if you think you can do that, we can see that from the API. Just send a PM for us to look into it further.  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
This should serve as an excellent alternative to Imgur now that it's going to shred all unregistered users' posts very soon (or maybe they have already started).

I will make a KIPI plugin for it so that those using KDE (and in particular, Spectacle for screenshots) can export to there directly. Not sure what the alternative for GNOME is, but I believe that plugins for Eye of GNOME image viewer and clones will do the job for those desktops as well.

But first I would have to find the API or at least reverse-engineer the endpoint for uploading images.
Activity: 1792
Merit: 871
Rollbit.com ⚔️Crypto Futures
Congratulations  @joker_josue on this great service that supports/compliments the forum, and seeing this is built more like a centralized platform I saw a nice question that wasn't addressed, but in the name of continuity, it would be nice to know the road map TalkImg holds.

What will happen to the image database if something happens to you? Would you consider give access to another (trusted) user in the future perhaps?

Hope not too early to ask this question, but have you considered having support staff to your service that can dedicate resources to the continued running of TalkImg for the image hosting service for BitcoinTalk?

Perhaps this will be answered later on depending on the success of the service?
legendary
**In BTC since 2013**
I just tried with Tor Browser and it only partially works. Initially i see security check with message "Please wait while your request is being verified..." which use HTTP before the website perform redirection to HTTPS.

Can you double check if it's still working like this?
Pages:
Jump to: