Author

Topic: Tennis League All Thread - page 611. (Read 201050 times)

Activity: 2142
Merit: 254
August 30, 2018, 02:21:39 PM
Too bad that Murray is out, but his comments after the matchare not the one that a great sportsman would do. What a cry baby.
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1353
August 30, 2018, 10:29:46 AM
Tsitsipas vs Medvedev turning out to be one hell of a match. Stefanos Tsitsipas was down 2 sets and down 4-2 on the third set, he then went on to with the next four games and and won the third set at 6-4. Currently they are battling, with Medvedev leading 4-1 again. I don't know if Tsitsipas can pull again in the 4th to even and go to 5th set. I'm sure that Medvedev doesn't want this slip away.

It wasn't meant to be as Medvedev took the final set 6-3. It wasn't meant for the giant killer to duplicate his feat in the US Open. They fought really hard but at the end of the end, the best man win. So gone is the 15th seed.

Yes, could say its a upset because Tsitsipas is 15th seed, and perhaps the hype that the brought specially how he overran top 10 players last month. I think the hype has died. And Medvedev is no pushover as well, and I read that those two has personal beef going back early this year in Miami, During their post match handshake, something might have been said and the umpire need to go in between the two.

@vella85 - I think it was expected, Like I said, I thought Murray might skipped this tournament because his body is not fully healed.
Activity: 2646
Merit: 686
August 30, 2018, 10:14:36 AM
It was good to see Andy Murray get through his 1st round match in 4 sets.

Interesting news. I checked and he did win a 4 set match. But it was closed and he has problems with the sweeping heat across US West Coast. I'm sure it will make a toll on those players not used to playing with extreme heat.

Yes, Murray might find it hard with the heat as he has struggled sometimes in the past with the heat but then again I think most players do. Verdasco will be a tough next up opponent that will test Murray's fitness. Hopefully he makes it through the match okay.

Federer won comfortably as well, 6-2 6-2 6-4 against Nishioka. Interesting to see his comments:

"I'm very happy with how I played tonight. It is particularly tough for us Europeans because we don't get this type of humidity. You are sweating so much you don't know what has hit you," Federer said.

"It is tough so you are happy when you survive a day like this."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/45338492

So he admitted that they are really affected by the weather, so its going to be extremely hard for others not to be affected by this bad weather. So let's see if. there are going to be upsets as Kemarit is implying.

Andy Murray is lucky that he made it past the first round considering his recent struggles to keep himself fit, and I thought the heat would be too much for him but luckily he managed to pass through it. I don't expect him to last much, considering the humidity factor he'll be out soon. Roger had a comfortable match, but his comments suggest he had a hard time. It'll be interesting to see how other athletes adjust to the humid conditions.
Activity: 1862
Merit: 590
August 29, 2018, 06:56:37 PM
Andy Murray just lost his match to Verdasco, I had a feeling that he would find it tough to beat Verdasco as he is still recovering from his injury and that Verdasco can be a tough opponent to face. This is why I didn't risk betting on Murray as he still has a long way to go before being 100% fit. I got a scare with Thiem as it looked like he would lose but he fought back well to win the match in 5 sets, winning the last set comfortable 6-1. Other big names to make it through, Del Potro, Raonic, Wawrinka and it looks like Kevin Anderson will also go through as he is up in the 3rd set 5-4 and he won the 2 previous sets. Looking forward to seeing Nadal in action a little later on.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1655
August 29, 2018, 04:01:47 PM
Tsitsipas vs Medvedev turning out to be one hell of a match. Stefanos Tsitsipas was down 2 sets and down 4-2 on the third set, he then went on to with the next four games and and won the third set at 6-4. Currently they are battling, with Medvedev leading 4-1 again. I don't know if Tsitsipas can pull again in the 4th to even and go to 5th set. I'm sure that Medvedev doesn't want this slip away.

It wasn't meant to be as Medvedev took the final set 6-3. It wasn't meant for the giant killer to duplicate his feat in the US Open. They fought really hard but at the end of the end, the best man win. So gone is the 15th seed.
legendary
August 29, 2018, 01:50:52 PM

Activity: 2660
Merit: 551
August 29, 2018, 02:44:19 AM
It was good to see Andy Murray get through his 1st round match in 4 sets. I didn't see the match so I'm not sure if he looked good or not, I still think that he has a while to go before he is 100% fit and healthy. The main game I'm interested in is later on tonight with Thiem taking on Basic which he should win comfortably. Nadal and Ferrer should be an interesting battle even though Ferrer is old he still puts up a tough fight.

Interesting news. I checked and he did win a 4 set match. But it was closed and he has problems with the sweeping heat across US West Coast. I'm sure it will make a toll on those players not used to playing with extreme heat. He will face Fernando Verdasco of Spain next, so let's see if he can at least make it to round of 64.

Yes, Murray might find it hard with the heat as he has struggled sometimes in the past with the heat but then again I think most players do. Verdasco will be a tough next up opponent that will test Murray's fitness. Hopefully he makes it through the match okay. So far in the Men's draw we have seen all the top seeds make it through to the next round, right now Federer is live and is looking in good shape to win in 3 sets, Kyrgios on the other hand is having a 1st battle with Albot who is showing some fight but I expect Kyrgios to get through.

Federer won comfortably as well, 6-2 6-2 6-4 against Nishioka. Interesting to see his comments:

"I'm very happy with how I played tonight. It is particularly tough for us Europeans because we don't get this type of humidity. You are sweating so much you don't know what has hit you," Federer said.

"It is tough so you are happy when you survive a day like this."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/45338492

So he admitted that they are really affected by the weather, so its going to be extremely hard for others not to be affected by this bad weather. So let's see if. there are going to be upsets as Kemarit is implying.
August 28, 2018, 07:44:30 PM
It was good to see Andy Murray get through his 1st round match in 4 sets. I didn't see the match so I'm not sure if he looked good or not, I still think that he has a while to go before he is 100% fit and healthy. The main game I'm interested in is later on tonight with Thiem taking on Basic which he should win comfortably. Nadal and Ferrer should be an interesting battle even though Ferrer is old he still puts up a tough fight.

Interesting news. I checked and he did win a 4 set match. But it was closed and he has problems with the sweeping heat across US West Coast. I'm sure it will make a toll on those players not used to playing with extreme heat. He will face Fernando Verdasco of Spain next, so let's see if he can at least make it to round of 64.

Yes, Murray might find it hard with the heat as he has struggled sometimes in the past with the heat but then again I think most players do. Verdasco will be a tough next up opponent that will test Murray's fitness. Hopefully he makes it through the match okay. So far in the Men's draw we have seen all the top seeds make it through to the next round, right now Federer is live and is looking in good shape to win in 3 sets, Kyrgios on the other hand is having a 1st battle with Albot who is showing some fight but I expect Kyrgios to get through.
legendary
August 28, 2018, 06:51:33 PM
@btc_angela - If the heat waves continues, I think we can see some upsets in the next round or so. I don't know what Andy is thinking, I initially thought that he will rest his body, although we wanted to see the top seeds go at it, might be best if his well rested up to the beginning of next year. I wasn't able to watch the match as well, so it was a 4 set match, meaning he was stretched and force to play a little longer than expected. Side note: his opponent, James Duckworth is also on a comeback trail, having endured 5 operations, so its also a tough road for him.
Activity: 2660
Merit: 551
August 28, 2018, 06:20:31 PM

August 27, 2018, 06:23:55 PM
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
August 26, 2018, 07:45:32 PM
With US Open right behind the corner, I would like to give my opinion about the favourites on the same.

For me biggest favourites are Nadal and Đoković of course.
And I would love to see that final.
That's best that tennis can offer nowadays.

Also, I think we can expect from Del Potro a lot too.
Remember he won his one and only Grand slam at here.

Don't rule out Federer. He won have lost the last final against Djokovic, but he is still in fine form and will be motivated to win another grand slam.

Simply, I don't consider him as potential winner. His recent play hasn't bought me at all and I am starting to think that his time is slowly passing.

This is what people were saying about him early last year and look what he did, Federer came out and won the Australian open beating Nadal and then won Wimbledon. Then he won the Australian open this year and has been in good form so that is why I never count Federer out of any tournament as he has the mentality to win which counts for a lot when it comes to grand slams. 

Maybe I am wrong, we will see. His first ''big'' match should be in 3rd round when he should meet Kirgios. We cannot expect that Nishioka or Paire could do him any harm.
August 26, 2018, 07:25:07 PM
With US Open right behind the corner, I would like to give my opinion about the favourites on the same.

Don't rule out Federer. He won have lost the last final against Djokovic, but he is still in fine form and will be motivated to win another grand slam.

Simply, I don't consider him as potential winner. His recent play hasn't bought me at all and I am starting to think that his time is slowly passing.

This is what people were saying about him early last year and look what he did, Federer came out and won the Australian open beating Nadal and then won Wimbledon. Then he won the Australian open this year and has been in good form so that is why I never count Federer out of any tournament as he has the mentality to win which counts for a lot when it comes to grand slams. 
August 26, 2018, 07:20:36 PM

August 26, 2018, 06:49:13 PM
USOpen Potential QF 2018->

Nadal v Anderson
Del Potro v Dimitrov
Zverev v Cilic
Federer v Djokovic

I don't think we can expect Fedal Smiley Federer also has to face Kyrgios in the 3rd round , what do you guys think ?

This could be a possibility, depending on how well Kyrgios goes he could be a challenge for Federer if his mind is on the job. This is what's frustrating with Kyrgios as he has so much talent but his mentality isn't there just yet.

Right. But yeah, we understand why they crack under pressure because its really a big stage for them, it like unchartered territory for this young guns. Dominic is a good bet I believed and its good if you are going to put some small bet on him, might be able to pull some upset, but Djokovic is really back. I just wish that Murray name can be in the mix as well so that its going to be a exciting US Open specially if everyone is healthy.

When I checked the betting markets Murray is showing up but I don't know if he will take his place in the US open or not so I'm not willing to risk a bet on him and also I don't think he is 100% fit, to me he looks about 75% which won't be enough to win this. I only have a small bet of $20 on Dominic Thiem @35 odds 2 weeks ago.

I wouldn't risk any betting at Murray, its better if he skipped the US Open because he is not healthy and may re-injured his hips. FedEx would also be a great bet, eventhough he lost to Djokovic, he is very much competitive and can give us good and tactical tennis. Remember he has won this tournament 5 times in a row if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah its not worth risking any money on Murray on the US open as his not fit enough to win if he does decide to play. I also think people can't count out Federer in this tournament as he has shown that he is still in top form but was beaten by a better player on the day. We just have 1 day to go! I'm really looking forward to it as there are so many great players in top form.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1655
August 26, 2018, 05:37:05 PM
USOpen Potential QF 2018->

Nadal v Anderson
Del Potro v Dimitrov
Zverev v Cilic
Federer v Djokovic

I don't think we can expect Fedal Smiley Federer also has to face Kyrgios in the 3rd round , what do you guys think ?

This could be a possibility, depending on how well Kyrgios goes he could be a challenge for Federer if his mind is on the job. This is what's frustrating with Kyrgios as he has so much talent but his mentality isn't there just yet.

Right. But yeah, we understand why they crack under pressure because its really a big stage for them, it like unchartered territory for this young guns. Dominic is a good bet I believed and its good if you are going to put some small bet on him, might be able to pull some upset, but Djokovic is really back. I just wish that Murray name can be in the mix as well so that its going to be a exciting US Open specially if everyone is healthy.

When I checked the betting markets Murray is showing up but I don't know if he will take his place in the US open or not so I'm not willing to risk a bet on him and also I don't think he is 100% fit, to me he looks about 75% which won't be enough to win this. I only have a small bet of $20 on Dominic Thiem @35 odds 2 weeks ago.

I wouldn't risk any betting at Murray, its better if he skipped the US Open because he is not healthy and may re-injured his hips. FedEx would also be a great bet, eventhough he lost to Djokovic, he is very much competitive and can give us good and tactical tennis. Remember he has won this tournament 5 times in a row if I'm not mistaken.
Activity: 2142
Merit: 254
August 26, 2018, 02:43:19 PM

August 26, 2018, 01:39:58 PM

I'll second that Nadal vs Djokovic is a dream finale considering the recent showdowns these two had, USA open is one of the biggest grand slam, and it deserves a final featuring these two. Indeed Del Potro is capable of springing a surprise, as he'll be highly motivated by his past achievement. I'm favouring Nadal to lift the cup, I hope the young players won't choke this time and offer some serious competition to the seniors.

You are right, although I don't expect much from young players this tournament. They have already shown that we can't expect much from them, so I predict another their choking Cheesy
Activity: 2646
Merit: 686
August 26, 2018, 12:44:50 AM

I'll second that Nadal vs Djokovic is a dream finale considering the recent showdowns these two had, USA open is one of the biggest grand slam, and it deserves a final featuring these two. Indeed Del Potro is capable of springing a surprise, as he'll be highly motivated by his past achievement. I'm favouring Nadal to lift the cup, I hope the young players won't choke this time and offer some serious competition to the seniors.
August 25, 2018, 08:30:31 PM

Jump to: