Pages:
Author

Topic: The function of religion ? - page 18. (Read 18646 times)

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
October 16, 2012, 03:00:43 PM
You tell a girl with an ego you love her and you'll scare her off.

Dank, no, that's now how it works. People get scared when you tell them you love them suddenly because it reeks of mental instability, depression and desperation.
No, girls (not all) are scared to love because they're scared of the negative feelings associated with heart break.  It's fear, doubt, ego.  Even if she was in love with you as you were in love with her, and you're relationship was so breathtakingly intimate, if that doubt sparks up and gains control, ego kills love.

I'm talking from experience here.

Life usually gets a bit better once you are done with puberty...

legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002
You cannot kill love
October 16, 2012, 02:57:00 PM

Dank, no, that's now how it works. People get scared when you tell them you love them suddenly because it reeks of mental instability, depression and desperation.
No, girls (not all) are scared to love because they're scared of the negative feelings associated with heart break.  It's fear, doubt, ego.  Even if she was in love with you as you were in love with her, and you're relationship was so breathtakingly intimate, if that doubt sparks up and gains control, ego kills love.

I'm talking from experience here.
Activity: 56
Merit: 1
October 16, 2012, 02:38:45 PM

legendary
You cannot kill love
October 16, 2012, 02:34:16 PM
I didn't mean your ego in particular.  Ego and love destroy each other, it's the basis of duality.  You tell someone with an ego some spiritual shit, even if it's true, ego will not understand and reject it.  You tell a girl with an ego you love her and you'll scare her off.  It's has been the basis of earth life.

We all have the same knowledge about the universe within our consciousness, I have explored my consciousness more than others and I feel that I understand the universe more than others, not necessarily everyone.  Anybody can have this understanding of the universe.
Activity: 88
Merit: 10
October 16, 2012, 01:55:24 PM
My ego? Seriously man I dont think my ego is the issue here.

I can agree with you on the point of spirituality having no evidence, this has been my point all along. Yet you remain adamant that your correct, because you have a 'higher' spiritual understanding than me (ego alert) despite the lack of evidence, merely your own thoughts, so you must be right! Cus you have such a higher understanding on all matters of the spirit and any doubts that they might, you know, just be YOUR THOUGHTS and not answers can be reassuringly disregarded because 'Others have thought this way too'.

For someone who is also so adamant that we are one, I , you, he, she, all share the same consciousness, how can you then state you have a higher understanding, when we are infact, one? Seems a little egotistical for someone who claims to have no ego, to put themself above others, even tho we're all the same, as you keep saying.

I tell you why we see all these contradictions Dank, cus your chatting shit mate. Your a poser hippy, giving the real hippies a bad name, your no more spiritually advanced than the other 'Merican hero sitting on coach watching jersey shore, your a sheep.

But yea man, peace and love, thats the answer.

I tell you what, when we dont have fucking idiots like you roaming the face of the earth, perhaps peace and love will have a chance, till then, its not viable.

Peace.
legendary
You cannot kill love
October 16, 2012, 10:51:23 AM
Grin for someone who strives to spread love your not very good at it dank, thanks for the insightful answer wise one.

annnnnd thought as much.
You're asking for evidence for a spiritual concept.  Again, not everything has evidence.  Spirituality can only be learned by you, I can write a novel on the workings of the universe, your ego will block it out as 'strange logic' and you won't learn anything from it.  You have to want to understand these concepts, and when you try to form a better understanding, you don't ask for evidence, you ask why?
Activity: 223
Merit: 100
October 16, 2012, 08:59:43 AM
The evidence is within your mind, it's up to you to find it like I have.

I'm usually entertained by you, dank, but this is the pinnacle of arrogance. Lame statement.
October 16, 2012, 03:39:40 AM
 Grin for someone who strives to spread love your not very good at it dank, thanks for the insightful answer wise one.

annnnnd thought as much.
legendary
You cannot kill love
October 15, 2012, 09:08:57 PM
The evidence is within your mind, it's up to you to find it like I have.
October 15, 2012, 11:39:28 AM
There you go with your strange logic:

"I believe, since we are the universe, our consciousness consists of the knowledge of everyone that has ever lived.  And I'm not the only one, so I know there's some validity to this."

Please try to explain to me how other people agreeing with each other provides ANY validity?

And if you could, some sort of evidence to back this striking claim up.

legendary
You cannot kill love
October 14, 2012, 03:43:46 PM
Problem with people like you is = you are not really listening others. You are not open to accept any other concept unless
it goes in parallel with what you already belive. I've posted you link for a great philosophical debate, have you even watch it?
Even if you have, it obviously didn't intrigued you. Phenomenology is something you already know of, and studied in depth?

You must first accept that you might be wrong about everything you know right now. Till than, I ain't gonna debate with you.
The thing is, I don't study the universe through studies of other people's material work.  I study the universe at a conscious level, within my head.  I believe, since we are the universe, our consciousness consists of the knowledge of everyone that has ever lived.  And I'm not the only one, so I know there's some validity to this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akashic_records

Once you've accessed this plane of consciousness, you can learn the true nature of things without doubt because everything in your consciousness is true.

I admit that I know nothing about our world, but I do know what I have experienced.
legendary
You cannot kill love
October 14, 2012, 02:38:09 PM
I say this because humans are conscious beings who use ego to learn in our world, it's gives you a sense of individualism.  Ego is a human quality, perhaps other beings too, but we know humans for sure have egos.  If the universe was full of ego and love was only a human quality, it would make no sense to spread love, which I think we can agree is the best thing for humanity.

Belief in no way makes people kill each other, hate is manifested by the ego.  Everyone has a set of beliefs, even if you don't know them.
legendary
You cannot kill love
October 14, 2012, 02:13:31 PM
Yes, our ego is killed at death, leaving only love.
Activity: 223
Merit: 100
October 12, 2012, 06:31:48 PM
Where are my fellow Satanists? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaVeyan_Satanism
October 12, 2012, 06:18:45 PM
Enlighten me, what part of Hinduism promotes war?  Reference, please?

Just something i picked up from google:

O Kaunteya, if you are killed ( in the battle) you will ascend to heaven. On the contrary if you win the war you will enjoy the comforts of earthly kingdom. Therefore get up and fight with determination. (Bhagavad gita 2.37)

With equanimity towards happiness and sorrow, gain and loss, victory and defeat, fight. This way you will not incur any sin. (Bhagavad gita 2.38)

My guess is you have a very simplistic view of Hinduism, or for that matter all other religions.
You just use your childish notions of these big structures to fit your fantasy of love and peace.
legendary
You cannot kill love
October 12, 2012, 05:36:06 PM
Enlighten me, what part of Hinduism promotes war?  Reference, please?
October 12, 2012, 04:59:08 PM
Science is a big map of our worldly reality, yes, and that's it.

There's no right or wrong religion.  Most major religions are based off spirituality and were perverted into giving the church power.  In my opinion, the most pure religions (closest to spirituality) would be Buddhism and Hinduism.
Aah, the enlightened Hinduism. Dude, you're realy clueless. Hinduism, like any other notion of separation, has been involved with wars. There are even rules set out in their holy books about how to conduct war.
So why do these religions fight for supremacy if none of them is right or wrong?
You mean all those people throughout history got slaughtered in the name of 'not right, not wrong'? Seriously?

Sure, my life completely flipped after 'finding god.'  I literally look like a completely different human, after half a year.  In addition to that, it will give me the power to become a renowned guitarist in a few months time.
I'm not debating the effect your experiences have on you, i'm debating wether these experiences are real or are an artifact of your brain.
The color red does not exist. It is just a range of frequencies of the em spectrum.
And yet most people experience 'redness' when they see red and it has inspired lots of artists.
Nevertheless, the experience of 'redness' exists only in your brain.
And if you don't have cones in your eyes that can pick up this band of em frequencies you just have no clue what red is.

Doing that with the goal of possessing money is still egotistical, no matter your intentions.  Your ego wants to donate to the charity so it seems like a better person, rather than doing so through your life actions.  However, I don't think it's impossible for supernatural phenomena to start physically occurring in our reality, in the near future.

Bullshit, these tests have also been done without any financial or personal incentive.
They all fail, always. Your possibility of supernatural occuring physically is a fantasy. Deal with it. Smiley

This is why there is more than reality:  There are infinite realities.  You have yours, I have mine, some people share realities.  Our reality is shaped after what we believe, whatever you believe is true.  When you hallucinate, you believe you are seeing something, correct?  If you believe you are sick, you're sick, right?  If you believe you're sad, surely depression will begin to manifest into your life, right?  My reality is different than yours because we clearly have different beliefs.  There, of course, is one true reality, the true nature of the universe.  (Un)fortunately, this is not it, this is a reality we created to learn as souls.  When we die, we return to our true nature, energy.
No, now your confusing our view of reality with the concept of reality itself. This kind of distinction was already used thousands of years ago and has served humanity well. And now you simply wash over it just to make it fit your opinion.
Seriously, you know too little about the world to debate these things.
I usually find myself sick, i don't have to believe it, it just happens.
If i feel a depression i notice because i feel sad for a prolonged time, i dont believe in feeling sad and then become depressed. It is just not how it works. It's your fantasy of how you think it should work.
I'm sure people can imagine themselfs into bing sick or depressed, but those are not real illnesses or depressions, they are immitations of the results of such things.
You deny the complexity of reality and instead flee into the safe comfort of your simple fantasies and self-delusions.
There realy is a shitload of things to know about the actual real universe and it's a shame you don't want to explore them.
legendary
You cannot kill love
October 12, 2012, 04:10:49 PM
Science is a big map of our worldly reality, yes, and that's it.

There's no right or wrong religion.  Most major religions are based off spirituality and were perverted into giving the church power.  In my opinion, the most pure religions (closest to spirituality) would be Buddhism and Hinduism.

Sure, my life completely flipped after 'finding god.'  I literally look like a completely different human, after half a year.  In addition to that, it will give me the power to become a renowned guitarist in a few months time.

Doing that with the goal of possessing money is still egotistical, no matter your intentions.  Your ego wants to donate to the charity so it seems like a better person, rather than doing so through your life actions.  However, I don't think it's impossible for supernatural phenomena to start physically occurring in our reality, in the near future.

This is why there is more than reality:  There are infinite realities.  You have yours, I have mine, some people share realities.  Our reality is shaped after what we believe, whatever you believe is true.  When you hallucinate, you believe you are seeing something, correct?  If you believe you are sick, you're sick, right?  If you believe you're sad, surely depression will begin to manifest into your life, right?  My reality is different than yours because we clearly have different beliefs.  There, of course, is one true reality, the true nature of the universe.  (Un)fortunately, this is not it, this is a reality we created to learn as souls.  When we die, we return to our true nature, energy.
October 12, 2012, 03:21:29 PM
You're still looking evidence, which is something we can measure, correct?  We can only measure things in this reality, correct?  Don't you think it may be a little egotistical to think this is the only reality?  Spirituality is something you must see, feel, experience, for yourself.

It seems we're going in circles, I don't know what question you wanted me to answer that I haven't already.
I could say that you're the egoist because all your notions of this supposed other reality come from your personal experiences.
I base my opinion on science and science is a big map of reality composed by millions of people over a long time that now alows us to make things like trasistors and other stuff that actually do something in the perceivable universe.

And you should stop assuming that i have not had any spiritual experiences. I just don't find evidence there of a different reality. I understand that in such a case i'm the one producing the feeling and not some reality outside of reality.
Thinking this way allowed me to travel even further into the abstract realms of being where words like ego and conciousness have no meaning.
I bet your biggest obstacle is that you cannot imagine that the wet lump of neurons in your head is capable of producing such experiences.
And again, it is a well known and well studied fact that our brains are capable of illusions and hallucinations and whatnot that seem to the person to be more real than reality. Even when the experience is clearly silly.

So we have a brain that is capable of producing any nonsense possible and make it seem real (ever spoken to a schitzofrenic person?). We can even control these nonsense production capabilities in humans to a certain degree.
Reality has shown us that we should not blindly trust in the output of our brains but keep an open mind and check with reality.

About unanswered questions, my fault, i didn't actually ask you that many questions. Smiley
But one question from this thread is:
'There are numerous religions and believe systems.
They can't all be correct. So which one is correct and why are the others incorrect?'

and another:
'Science allways keeps an open mind, even now, and if you can show something exists then please show us and science will accept it.
But you need to show any real effects. Since, you know, we exist in reality whatever it may be.'
(so the question is please show something spiritual that has an actual effect on the reality that we all share)

And from the other thread:
"But consider this: Why didn't anyone not driven by ego or greed step up and picked up the million dollars to give to charity?"
(in the context of the James Randi's prize)

But the main question is: 'Is there a good reason, besides the profoundness of your own personal experience, to believe there is more than reality?'
legendary
You cannot kill love
October 12, 2012, 02:53:32 PM
You're still looking evidence, which is something we can measure, correct?  We can only measure things in this reality, correct?  Don't you think it may be a little egotistical to think this is the only reality?  Spirituality is something you must see, feel, experience, for yourself.

It seems we're going in circles, I don't know what question you wanted me to answer that I haven't already.
Pages:
Jump to: