Pages:
Author

Topic: The function of religion ? - page 20. (Read 18646 times)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500
October 09, 2012, 07:07:57 PM
But you're using a chart to describe philosophy, I think words more effectively convey ideas, in this case.

By using a chart I'm using the analogy of space. If I understand you correctly, another way to say "space is an illusion" is that it is an artifact of the way humans interact with their environment.

Doesn't communicating with words have the same failing?
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002
You cannot kill love
October 09, 2012, 07:01:16 PM
But you're using a chart to describe philosophy, I think words more effectively convey ideas, in this case.
October 09, 2012, 06:45:50 PM
I mean space as in the set of possibilities of ways to describe the universe, not physical space.
legendary
You cannot kill love
October 09, 2012, 06:40:04 PM
Well, space is also an illusion of our reality, so I don't know what exactly to say to that.  Debating spirituality with science doesn't really work, on either end.
October 09, 2012, 06:26:09 PM
You also may just be stuck in a local maximum (of probability of being right), but have not explored the entire space of possibilities. Other people with different starting points and different paths may be stuck in their own local maxima, the only way to judge which is "right" is if all brains agree (converge) on the same answer, which may take infinite time (so is impossible for mortals). Consciousness trying to understand the universe is just like a huge markov chain monte carlo experiment.
That's the basis of spirituality, finding your own path to find the same truth.  In no way is it impossible for our species to become like-minded, time is an illusory boundary.  And consciousness grasps itself fine, it's the ego that's in need of lessons.

Good point, individuals are mortal, while species are not. To keep my mcmc analogy going, each species is it's own chain, each individual/brain/consciousness/ego is a unique genetic (in the computer science and biological sense) algorithm that samples from the space of possibilities. This is how I look at it:

The challenge here was to fit a curve with 3 parameters to some data, you can see that the chains all converged quickly onto one point, but failed to explore the entire set of possibilities (avoided areas of low probability, although the best answer may have been found surrounded by unlikely answers). The more challenging task of understanding the universe, existence, etc has many more dimensions, and there are many more chains exploring this space some branching off others at certain points, and they are not all independent of each other.

Your brain probably agrees with the machine:
legendary
You cannot kill love
October 09, 2012, 05:55:19 PM
Now, 20 years later, I'm slowly starting to realise the reason for them being silent = one can't truly help anyone but himself only.
I witness that myself more and more as time goes by. I can help and others can help me, but only with actualy unimportant matter.
This is very much true, although I believe one may help one help them self, if they're in the proper receptive state.
legendary
You cannot kill love
October 09, 2012, 05:27:04 PM
You also may just be stuck in a local maximum (of probability of being right), but have not explored the entire space of possibilities. Other people with different starting points and different paths may be stuck in their own local maxima, the only way to judge which is "right" is if all brains agree (converge) on the same answer, which may take infinite time (so is impossible for mortals). Consciousness trying to understand the universe is just like a huge markov chain monte carlo experiment.
That's the basis of spirituality, finding your own path to find the same truth.  In no way is it impossible for our species to become like-minded, time is an illusory boundary.  And consciousness grasps itself fine, it's the ego that's in need of lessons.
October 09, 2012, 04:53:42 PM
October 09, 2012, 04:47:06 PM
But I've figured much out.

You have figured much out in your own opinion, every brain/consciousness is different, some are even faulty or otherwise bad at figuring things out (eg alzheimers). You can only trust one brain so far.
Activity: 322
Merit: 100
October 09, 2012, 04:45:02 PM
The answer to the threads question is simple, its control.
legendary
You cannot kill love
October 09, 2012, 04:44:14 PM
But I've figured much out.
October 09, 2012, 04:30:54 PM
If dank is younger (~<20) then I think he is in the right place. I predict next he will realize that all philosophers do is argue endlessly without ever really figuring anything out. There are better strategies that produce useful tech along the way as well.
legendary
You cannot kill love
October 09, 2012, 04:24:00 PM
Strata, it was a legitimate question, that you still haven't answered.

Jimmy, I don't think I have a superior understanding, first of all.  Superiority is relative and not really the right word, I believe I have a higher understanding of the universe/god, because it makes very much sense to me and I have had divine experiences to make me feel such a way.

I'm aware they may seem ridiculous to others, but to others, they are not.  My life has been nothing short of an ego death experience, which is what gave me the connection to my conscious mind.

I mean, what if I'm right, and these answers I've uncovered with my consciousness are true?  I'm not the only person to have thought of this stuff.  It'd be nice if people could at least point out the flaw in my philosophy rather than calling it names.
Activity: 88
Merit: 10
October 09, 2012, 03:45:49 PM
I understand perfectly what your saying, just dont agree with it, what are you basing this claim on? Nothing but your superior understanding? The infuriating thing is that your totally unaware of how ridiculous many of the posts you make are.

More over, Id imagine the reason people actually get riled up with you is the fact you seem to believe your understanding (of what ever your commenting on) is somewhat superior, when all the evidence shows otherwise.

Its funny you should mention ego because yours is certainly very large for someone who boasts no actual accomplishments other than tricking some mugs into giving your 'bank' money.

Like I said earlier, your a joker. And infact a bit of joke, around here it seems atleast, will make the assumption real life circumstances are little different too.

Your in denial dank.

legendary
You cannot kill love
October 09, 2012, 03:14:03 PM
The universe created itself from a single point of consciousness, which it still is, a single point of consciousness.

Yes, people give me a hard time because they do not understand what I am saying, it confuses them, sometimes angers them and, basically, hurts their ego.

I don't think I'd get a hard time if I was understood.
October 09, 2012, 03:03:34 PM

Ok then.  Who created the aliens that created us?  Did the universe not create them?

By that logic, who created the universe?

As for the attacking you, it is extremely frustrating to see someone so moronic, but yet so sure of themselves, simple as that. Have you noticed a trend here of people generally giving you a hard time on these forums? Ever stopped for a second to think why?

Like I said, your more than entitled to your opinions but to conclude your opinions are fact is dumb.
legendary
You cannot kill love
October 09, 2012, 02:50:07 PM
You're attacking me rather than what I said.  There's a possibility I am right, so instead of attacking me, tell me a logical or philosophical reason why I'm wrong.

No, it's not working that way - you and only you must find why you are wrong. Else you won't be attached to solution as much
as it's required to start to properly value your own thinking and thus solutions. Really, you should bow to no one else but yourself.
You could, at least, answer the question I gave you.

Who created the aliens that created us?  Did the universe not create them?

All questions will be answered after death, but there is no reason to not gain a higher understanding while we live.  The outcome of life, after all, is increasing our awareness.
Activity: 56
Merit: 1
October 09, 2012, 02:15:52 PM
Some questions are best left answered after death.
legendary
You cannot kill love
October 09, 2012, 01:48:13 PM
You're attacking me rather than what I said.  There's a possibility I am right, so instead of attacking me, tell me a logical or philosophical reason why I'm wrong.

I'm not the only one that believes these things.
October 09, 2012, 01:42:48 PM
You make an assumption over what god is and your asking me what part of it was false? Really? I mean REALLY?

Its your opinion on what 'god' is, its neither false nor correct. Like I said, you go straight into the religious nut job category with this idea that your OPINION is correct.

By all means, state what you THINK god may be, but climb the fuck down of your high horse with comments such as; 'If you don't understand part of this, ask questions to gain a higher understanding'

I doubt you have a higher understanding of much but your own petty existence.

I hate to break it to you dank, your not some free thinking philosophical guru, just an idiot with to much bravado(strangely).

Il say it again, speculate on your own idea's of what god may be, but dont ask for evidence for falsehoods in your theory when you can give no evidence as to why your theory is correct either, moron.

Pages:
Jump to: