Pages:
Author

Topic: The Halving - Good or Bad for Bitcoin? - page 19. (Read 83082 times)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500
I would say it has both good and bad sides. For people who want to buy coins halving comes in super handy. This way they can get the coins cheaper. For people who want to sell this is not that good news.
Activity: 260
Merit: 250
As the title says, is the halving good or bad for the price of bitcoin?

The halving will decrease the supply of bitcoin, whole keeping the demand, so that would make bitcoin worth more.

But the halving will make mining profitibilty worse, meaning less miners, a higher trans. fee, and maybe causing a smaller demand.

What's your verdict?

I think bitcoin will still go up, as the fees might, let's say, double, but that's still a smaller transaction fee than through the banks...
It is not quiet bad for the bitcoin because we already know that it would happen when we are reaching the half amount of the bitcoin. So it wont affect the price allot
but the miners will have much trouble with it there are allot of miners who needs to stop after the halving because it is not profitable anymore.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
I think the halving is very Good, the profit is duplicate in one year.

Halving is good for the bitcoin users and the one who have bitcoins with them to get some profit on this event. but i am not so sure if it is good for the miners as the reward is reduced to half.
Halving will not be good nor bad on bitcoin because it won't affect the technicality of bitcoin and only the price of it. The one that will really suffer from halving is the miners.

It will "only" affect the price.... You say it like it is something minor. Supply and demand is the most important basic rule of any market in the world. Also, miners will only suffer if the price goes back to $300-$400's. If the price stays around the current level or just goes up higher, then miners will have nothing to complain.
Agreed. Price is already a major influence that affects bitcoin because a big price means a great progress in bitcoin is happening. $600 is not quite high for miners I think it should be $800 above.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

Halving is good for the bitcoin users and the one who have bitcoins with them to get some profit on this event. but i am not so sure if it is good for the miners as the reward is reduced to half.
Halving will not be good nor bad on bitcoin because it won't affect the technicality of bitcoin and only the price of it. The one that will really suffer from halving is the miners.

It will "only" affect the price.... You say it like it is something minor. Supply and demand is the most important basic rule of any market in the world. Also, miners will only suffer if the price goes back to $300-$400's. If the price stays around the current level or just goes up higher, then miners will have nothing to complain.
Activity: 154

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Yeah halving will be profitable for the normal users as everyone has bought when price was lower and halving will take price to higher level so they can earn good profits from it.
Activity: 966
Merit: 506

Activity: 826
The All-in-One Cryptocurrency Exchange
Price will be always manipulated by big whales and there are many people who keep on saying that bitcoin will not survive in long run so that people get panic and they sell it lower price.

I dont think so that btc will not survive in long term cuz all are in for that
Maybe it will be little hold up but that will be for few months

Bitcoin now is a normal currency and people are using it for their normal use as like currencies and its market cap is now much huge so it is false that bitcoin will not survive for longer.

I think Dux2K has a point, even we're using this as a normal currency and more people are get use to adopt into it if there's still a manipulation happening on the coin then it is not good for bitcoin. If there are still whales that can manage the price then if we have a quick adoption to bitcoin it will not change the situation that there are whales who can manipulate the coin.
Whales can always influence what they want with mechanisms on bitcoin even one do some adoptions.
Activity: 210
Price will be always manipulated by big whales and there are many people who keep on saying that bitcoin will not survive in long run so that people get panic and they sell it lower price.

Bitcoin now is a normal currency and people are using it for their normal use as like currencies and its market cap is now much huge so it is false that bitcoin will not survive for longer.

I think Dux2K has a point, even we're using this as a normal currency and more people are get use to adopt into it if there's still a manipulation happening on the coin then it is not good for bitcoin. If there are still whales that can manage the price then if we have a quick adoption to bitcoin it will not change the situation that there are whales who can manipulate the coin.
Activity: 2954
Merit: 672
Message @Hhampuz if you are looking for a CM!

The life of bitcoin will always depend on the users, if we continue to use bitcoins we will surely see a more improve and healthy bitcoin community, with the coming halving it is expected that it will give people benefits when investing due to the price increase.

Bitcoin is a risky investment but we are lucky now since we discover it at an early stage that would give us the best opportunity to explore and earn thru investment because the price will become stable due to massive adoption in the future.
Therefore, when we are staying here in the community, we should believe that life of bitcoins in the future and one way to help the community to be popular and to help the bitcoin economy we should continue to support buy spending all the time in different online businesses.
Activity: 952

The life of bitcoin will always depend on the users, if we continue to use bitcoins we will surely see a more improve and healthy bitcoin community, with the coming halving it is expected that it will give people benefits when investing due to the price increase.

Bitcoin is a risky investment but we are lucky now since we discover it at an early stage that would give us the best opportunity to explore and earn thru investment because the price will become stable due to massive adoption in the future.
Activity: 742
Hire me for your campaign management.

Activity: 322
Activity: 826
The All-in-One Cryptocurrency Exchange
"When using traditional economic theory, the combination of price and complexity of mining bitcoin have to balance and get back on the market in the same position as it was on before Halving. Thus, if the complexity of mining remained unchanged, the price will be doubled, "(c) Thurber.

If bitcoin behaves like other commodities, its price should increase with decreasing supply. If this argument is true, then the price would have increased enough to offset the loss in mining and align.
I think bitcoin does not follow such traditional economic theory because of mining and its complicated philosophy.
Activity: 162
"When using traditional economic theory, the combination of price and complexity of mining bitcoin have to balance and get back on the market in the same position as it was on before Halving. Thus, if the complexity of mining remained unchanged, the price will be doubled, "(c) Thurber.

If bitcoin behaves like other commodities, its price should increase with decreasing supply. If this argument is true, then the price would have increased enough to offset the loss in mining and align.

More that the price of Bitcoin will have to be doubled if the current hashpower is to be maintained. But again, again, it is not the only variable here. Hashpower may decrease (or realign along other altcoins, or maybe ASICs will go to scrap metal, who knows). Looking at the halving from a pragmatic perspective, it is the same as doubling the difficulty overnight but leaving the block reward unchanged. But, look at the graph from Blockchain.info of recent difficulty increases (over the past two years):

The network has coped with essentially a "quartering" (from the perspective of an individual miner's revenue with constant hashpower) and relatively rapid difficulty increases without a 51% attack, or even an increase in Tx fees, as we see from the following graph:

The period of difficulty represented above begins at about Day 1000 in the second graph.

Though this could be because the quality of mining hardware is improving and everyone is scaling up. So, my impression is: if the price stays the same, difficulty will halve (or perhaps slightly less than due to altruistic miners). If the price doubles, difficulty needn't change, and likely there will be some compensation between these two variables.
Activity: 196

Activity: 3024
Merit: 680
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

Bitcoin will survive for a very long time and look at what is happening today in the economy of bitcoin. It is becoming more popular as more and more stores are accepting payment by means of bitcoin.
And once the halving happened for sure it will have a good effect for all of us.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Blocklancer - Freelance on the Blockchain

Activity: 3024
Merit: 680
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
The biggest beneficiaries will be the developers behind all these shitty ICO's

You got the point out there, they are really going to benefit the effect of halving and it will be good for them.

Well described, but from my understanding nothing can be said exactly that it surely gives free money for common users. Everyone expect rise but it moves based on the way its been developed.

Many are speculating that bitcoin halving will be a good thing for all of us. But for miners it isn't. Because the price of bitcoin will increase, as the block reward for mining will increase it's difficulty so it means the supply will be lessen so the demand will increase.
Activity: 336
As the title says, is the halving good or bad for the price of bitcoin?

The halving will decrease the supply of bitcoin, whole keeping the demand, so that would make bitcoin worth more.

But the halving will make mining profitibilty worse, meaning less miners, a higher trans. fee, and maybe causing a smaller demand.

What's your verdict?

I think bitcoin will still go up, as the fees might, let's say, double, but that's still a smaller transaction fee than through the banks...

Halving does not mean bad or good for bitcoins. What is bad for bitcoins is the insufficiency of present miners to catch up with new block to meet the present demand for bitcoins. But given there are no miners around, halving is bad news to bitcoin but good news to the users since the value will go up tremendously if the supply is decreasing and the difficulty in mining is increasing.
Pages:
Jump to: