Pages:
Author

Topic: The Halving - Good or Bad for Bitcoin? - page 49. (Read 83082 times)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100
March 28, 2016, 03:55:14 AM
Halving is expected to be good as the past bitcoin halving has given good profit. No matter how many of them believe how halving matters.

The halving is an inherent feature of the Bitcoin protocol, and no one really knows what will happen after.
The theory says that as the currency reduces its emission flow, the feeling of scarcity will become more evident, and prices will tend to rise.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
March 28, 2016, 03:50:46 AM
We will see it may cause some problems becouse of that pseudo developers thay are worse btc obstacle
Propably trasaction fee will rise
transfer fee increased although only about 0.0002 btc but will be many people who will counter with this. I think it is not problem origin can accelerate time confirmation
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1041
March 28, 2016, 02:56:10 AM
If bitcoin doesnt go up substantially after the halving we could definitely be in
trouble and see alot of units / farms shutting down.

You forgot that whenever some miners are shutting down their farm, the difficulty will decrease therefore those who stiill mine it will always be profitable so there is no way that all miners will be shutting down. The second things that you forgot is that the halving actually had nothing to do with the price, it is alll just theory of economics laws that it will be higher

I don't see it that way though. Halving i think is intended to make the price of coins to go up especially if the demand is high. This isn't just economics theory, its proven to work even for the fiat.
currencies work this way ever since.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1013
March 28, 2016, 02:29:16 AM
If bitcoin doesnt go up substantially after the halving we could definitely be in

You forgot that whenever some miners are shutting down their farm, the difficulty will decrease therefore those who stiill mine it will always be profitable so there is no way that all miners will be shutting down. The second things that you forgot is that the halving actually had nothing to do with the price, it is alll just theory of economics laws that it will be higher
Activity: 2310
Merit: 532
Enterapp Pre-Sale Live - bit.ly/3UrMCWI
March 27, 2016, 09:36:10 AM
Halving is expected to be good as the past bitcoin halving has given good profit. No matter how many of them believe how halving matters.
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
March 27, 2016, 02:37:57 AM
well I understand that bitcoin doesnt "have to" double when it halves but
In order for it to make sense to keep mining the mining companies will have to
get real cheap and real fast or bitcoin will have to almost double in order for it
to make sense to keep mining.

If in any business you cut your net income in half your going to be in trouble unless
you cut labor or get products cheaper.

Roi is riding a fine line as it is with most units that come out it is a very marginal roi.
global moderator
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1179
While my guitar gently weeps!!!
March 27, 2016, 01:46:17 AM
We will see it may cause some problems becouse of that pseudo developers thay are worse btc obstacle

Yeah, probably that would bring problem to some..Increase in transaction fee I think will still be nice, and I think that increase would prevent us from forwarding small amount of coins.It means fewer transactions and could probably be faster..
Pab
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1012
March 26, 2016, 11:09:57 AM
legendary
Activity: 1022
Blocklancer - Freelance on the Blockchain
March 26, 2016, 11:03:40 AM
In general should be good but this time i dont know for sure i just hope that price wont go down
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1009
Next-Gen Trade Racing Metaverse
March 25, 2016, 11:15:09 PM
As the title says, is the halving good or bad for the price of bitcoin?

The halving will decrease the supply of bitcoin, whole keeping the demand, so that would make bitcoin worth more.

But the halving will make mining profitibilty worse, meaning less miners, a higher trans. fee, and maybe causing a smaller demand.

What's your verdict?

I think bitcoin will still go up, as the fees might, let's say, double, but that's still a smaller transaction fee than through the banks...

yes halving means that miners will get 50% less money so price will have to go up or they'll have to stop mining

but i think that it is good for bitcoin, because price will grow for sure, also more people will buy bitcoin so halving is really good for bitcoin

less money? you mean less coins. these 2 things are very different. if the price doubles from the current price level after the halving, then they get the same amount of money/fiat as they do right now. in that aspect nothing will change. if the price doesn't go up after the halving, then they indeed get less fiat in return for a found block. even if some miners decide to stop. the difficulty will go down which will attract other miners to put their hardware to work.

Absolutly no reason that after a halving the price of bitcoin doubles...

Price is mostly dictated by demand.
When in july reward gets halved and demand will stay the same, what is very likely, guess what will happen with the price?
Theoretically it has to increase right?!
The thing is we don't know if it's already priced in in because halving is a known and predictable event.
Will be very interesting to see what will happen.Especially the first 3-4 months after the halving.Last time we saw a delay in price increase as well.

You are righ...but if the demand does not increase...and stay same than now...the btc price will decrease after the halving because even after the halving the nb of coins increases even if it increases less than now.

I'm used about this theory because all my systems turn arround this principle...

The theory of "demand" is a bit skewed in the sense of 1 person can be the demand.

Your point is if more users will fill that demand. But we seen groups like knc miner or 1 big entity taken up as the "demand" which splurges the price.

Well in the end the halving would be like Schrodinger's cat. We wouldn't know anything until it happens.
Activity: 644
March 25, 2016, 11:08:14 PM
The halving has been made to make and force bitcoin to get a bigger value,otherwise we would see all the coins mined over the next 20 years maybe.Nakamoto made them to make bitcoin grow over time ,not to let it on the hands of big holders to pump and dump.

Ha ha ha. To see Satoshi's price expectations We have not reached the ground also, Its a simple price what we are seeing currently. In the year of 2050. Bitcoin will be worth of 10000$ for sure. Thats why many people in europe They use purchase many bitcoins as much they get the salary.
Stick to purchase bitcoins as much you can to make good profit in future at least in halving time.
Activity: 560
March 25, 2016, 11:02:28 PM
The halving has been made to make and force bitcoin to get a bigger value,otherwise we would see all the coins mined over the next 20 years maybe.Nakamoto made them to make bitcoin grow over time ,not to let it on the hands of big holders to pump and dump.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
March 25, 2016, 05:10:16 PM
As the title says, is the halving good or bad for the price of bitcoin?

The halving will decrease the supply of bitcoin, whole keeping the demand, so that would make bitcoin worth more.

But the halving will make mining profitibilty worse, meaning less miners, a higher trans. fee, and maybe causing a smaller demand.

What's your verdict?

I think bitcoin will still go up, as the fees might, let's say, double, but that's still a smaller transaction fee than through the banks...

yes halving means that miners will get 50% less money so price will have to go up or they'll have to stop mining

but i think that it is good for bitcoin, because price will grow for sure, also more people will buy bitcoin so halving is really good for bitcoin

less money? you mean less coins. these 2 things are very different. if the price doubles from the current price level after the halving, then they get the same amount of money/fiat as they do right now. in that aspect nothing will change. if the price doesn't go up after the halving, then they indeed get less fiat in return for a found block. even if some miners decide to stop. the difficulty will go down which will attract other miners to put their hardware to work.

Absolutly no reason that after a halving the price of bitcoin doubles...

Price is mostly dictated by demand.
When in july reward gets halved and demand will stay the same, what is very likely, guess what will happen with the price?
Theoretically it has to increase right?!
The thing is we don't know if it's already priced in in because halving is a known and predictable event.
Will be very interesting to see what will happen.Especially the first 3-4 months after the halving.Last time we saw a delay in price increase as well.

You are righ...but if the demand does not increase...and stay same than now...the btc price will decrease after the halving because even after the halving the nb of coins increases even if it increases less than now.

I'm used about this theory because all my systems turn arround this principle...

The theory of "demand" is a bit skewed in the sense of 1 person can be the demand.

Your point is if more users will fill that demand. But we seen groups like knc miner or 1 big entity taken up as the "demand" which splurges the price.
Activity: 854
March 25, 2016, 05:01:53 PM
halving can be good for us as investors if the price goes up high like it did last time and it will create a good chance for making a good profit.

but it also can be bad if it created an unstable price which might cause many to buy at the top and lose money and lose faith in bitcoin.

That's the fact of bitcoin. It had given good profit on halving during the past, so people expecting the same this time. Only time give us the right answer.

We already can say that miners will lose a lot after halving but time really give us the right answer how much they will lose.
Activity: 2310
Merit: 532
Enterapp Pre-Sale Live - bit.ly/3UrMCWI
March 25, 2016, 01:43:32 PM
halving can be good for us as investors if the price goes up high like it did last time and it will create a good chance for making a good profit.

but it also can be bad if it created an unstable price which might cause many to buy at the top and lose money and lose faith in bitcoin.

That's the fact of bitcoin. It had given good profit on halving during the past, so people expecting the same this time. Only time give us the right answer.
Activity: 1470
Merit: 655
March 25, 2016, 12:46:42 PM

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007
DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!
March 25, 2016, 12:27:56 PM
I think it ll be quite good, it ll push the price a bit up. This is will foster media attention and bring more people into crypto. So, all in all, good move.
Activity: 243
Merit: 250
March 25, 2016, 11:42:06 AM
It totally depends on a person's opinion and condition with bitcoins.
If you have already earned lots of bitcoins then it is a boon  for you.
But on the other hand, if you have just started with mining, the  it will surely be a curse for you.
legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1026
Free WSPU2 Token or real dollars
March 25, 2016, 07:36:36 AM

If your logic is right, the price of bitcoins should decrease continuously (not just after the halving) because the number of bitcoins is continuously increasing, even if demand remains constant. This is obviously not the case.

You are righ...i were confuse...

IF (I say IF) demand stay same and number of bitcoin increase the price can only decrease...
IF the price is increasing since Bitcoin start it is why the demand is increasing and not constant.
In other words...halving will elp for less decreasing if the demand remains constant.
In 4 years the halving will have less effect and in 8 years till less...
in 12 years we will have so many BTC on the market that the halving will have almost "zero" effect.
legendary
Activity: 1232
March 25, 2016, 12:18:03 AM

If your logic is right, the price of bitcoins should decrease continuously (not just after the halving) because the number of bitcoins is continuously increasing, even if demand remains constant. This is obviously not the case.
Pages:
Jump to: