Pages:
Author

Topic: The impact of bad crypto (DASH, SDC, etc). How much does math matter? - page 4. (Read 7295 times)

legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud
Monero is not anonymous when your metadata can be correlated. One example of metadata which unmasks your anonymity is your IP address. And no, Tor and I2P mixnets do not hide your IP address from the government, in fact they are thought to be Sybil attacked honeypots that not only tell the government your IP address but also alert the NSA et al that you should come under extra scrutiny.
Thus I have explained there is no Nash equilibrium in Monero's penalty feature (unlike for Satoshi's longest chain rule where there is indeed a Nash equilibrium because if miners don't converge on the longest chain then all their chains are invalid/orphans and worthless without consensus).

Monero Review:

Broken anonymity []
Broken scaling []
Broken game theory / Broken Nash Equilibrium []
Delusional, retarded and pumper-minded community []
Cryptographers with broken cryptographic ideas []
Broken de-centralization that will tend to centralization []

Congratulations. You passed your "broken crypto" review with flying colors.

Monero #REKT  Cry Cry Cry

So I wonder if you're some sort of reverse troll. Why? Two reasons: First, TPTB_need_war has more and harsher criticisms of dash, so the best you can do is make dash look worse than Monero. Second, you're taking many of TPTB_need war's statements out of context and purposely removing the time stamps to mask that many of those quotations are very old and do not reflect his current understanding of Monero--which is probably going to piss him off and entice him to find more failures in dash--though that list is long already.

So who are you working for? Because you're not doing dash any favors  Wink
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Scaling "10 times better" is frankly pretty ridiculous.

It may be, on the lower side. It could be worse than 10x.

What's your blockchain size right now?

Blockchain size is not a measure of scalability (and as I said there is no useful numeric comparison of "scalability"), but the size is something like 2.5 GB.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049
Scaling "10 times better" is frankly pretty ridiculous.

It may be, on the lower side. It could be worse than 10x.

What's your blockchain size right now?
legendary
Monero is not anonymous when your metadata can be correlated. One example of metadata which unmasks your anonymity is your IP address. And no, Tor and I2P mixnets do not hide your IP address from the government, in fact they are thought to be Sybil attacked honeypots that not only tell the government your IP address but also alert the NSA et al that you should come under extra scrutiny.
Thus I have explained there is no Nash equilibrium in Monero's penalty feature (unlike for Satoshi's longest chain rule where there is indeed a Nash equilibrium because if miners don't converge on the longest chain then all their chains are invalid/orphans and worthless without consensus).

Monero Review:

Broken anonymity []
Broken scaling []
Broken game theory / Broken Nash Equilibrium []
Delusional, retarded and pumper-minded community []
Cryptographers with broken cryptographic ideas []
Broken de-centralization that will tend to centralization []

Congratulations. You passed your "broken crypto" review with flying colors.

Monero #REKT  Cry Cry Cry
legendary
Smooth has pointed out that metadata isn't the problem that Monero was designed to solve

That is true, the problem is largely independent. If your network traffic is being spied up, then you will have the same or worse (probably much worse) problems with Bitcoin or Dash or any other coin.

Also, no one involved with Monero has ever claimed it is 'NSA-proof'. The most we have ever said is that it continues to improve and could possibly, someday, reach a point of being reasonably NSA-proof if coupled with good OPSEC (as something like PGP might be considered today), but that is certainly not a realistic short term goal.

Yeah because if he considers bitcoin as "broken" due to its scaling which is 10 times better than monero, then monero ...isn't broken

Scaling "10 times better" is frankly pretty ridiculous. There isn't any clear metric by which one would define a numeric comparison "scaling". In some ways Monero scales better than Bitcoin, in other ways worse. In some of the most important ways (such as bandwidth required for full nodes), they are very close. Bitcoin might have a small edge if you ignore additional Bitcoin traffic created by JoinMarket and other forms of mixing in order to try to do (worse) what Monero does natively.

Anyway, scaling has little if anything to do with what experts call "bad crypto". In fact, making crypto worse and using smaller key sizes, etc. could help with scaling.

legendary
Now that you quoted the entire post, does it change the fact that he says BITCOIN IS A BROKEN DESIGN?

FTFY

Now apologize for misreading and misquoting what was pretty obvious for anyone with high school reading skills.

Yeah because if he considers bitcoin as "broken" due to its scaling which is 10 times better than monero, then monero ...isn't broken Cheesy

Dat logic.

And he also asserted time and time again (even two posts above) that the anonymity is broken against the state due to metadata correlation.

Against the NSA yes I stand by the assertion that IP address correlation unmasks, overlapping rings unmask, etc. It all adds up if you are trying to hide from governments, then I don't trust Monero or any anonymous coin.

#badycrypto XMR  Cry Cry Cry

Sigh, he also said dash is the worst of the three, so if you're going to use him as an authority figure, you have to accept that analysis. The enemy of my enemy is my friend until they become friends with my enemy because they just don't like you very much.

Smooth has pointed out that metadata isn't the problem that Monero was designed to solve and it's still up for I2p and TOR and other anonymous networks to prevent metadata collection. Dash doesn't even solve the problem that Monero solves and dash even finds ways to create new problems, like having an instamine and node incentives aggregate power into the form of an oligarchy.
legendary
Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245
The impact of bad threads like these in a desperate attempt to profile their own crypto (Monero). How much will it matter ?

None. The market will judge and value a cryptocurrency's progress individually and objectively.
Which is why Dash is ranked firmly at 5th rank for a long time now and other cryptocurrencies (like Monero) rise and fall on ranks
(also known as pump and dump schemes).  
legendary
Now that you quoted the entire post, does it change the fact that he says BITCOIN IS A BROKEN DESIGN?

FTFY

Now apologize for misreading and misquoting what was pretty obvious for anyone with high school reading skills.

Yeah because if he considers bitcoin as "broken" due to its scaling which is 10 times better than monero, then monero ...isn't broken Cheesy

Dat logic.

And he also asserted time and time again (even two posts above) that the anonymity is broken against the state due to metadata correlation.

Against the NSA yes I stand by the assertion that IP address correlation unmasks, overlapping rings unmask, etc. It all adds up if you are trying to hide from governments, then I don't trust Monero or any anonymous coin.

#badycrypto XMR  Cry Cry Cry

People who love to be free from government oppression and used XMR = #REKT  Cry Cry Cry
legendary

FTFY

Activity: 420
Merit: 262
Regarding Monero's anonymity, do you stand by the statement you've expressed below in the past (regarding broken anonymity due to metadata correlation)?

Cryptonote was created by anonymous people. Even Monero's cryptographer is anonymous. Who created this anonymity that is easily broken by meta-data. I don't know if that is circumspect or just the way the world turns.

Against the NSA yes I stand by the assertion that IP address correlation unmasks, overlapping rings unmask, etc. It all adds up if you are trying to hide from governments, then I don't trust Monero or any anonymous coin. Notice I wrote "privacy" and not anonymity in prior post upthread. For privacy, I think Monero is suitable and Dash is not (because not autonomous End-to-End).
legendary
Now that you quoted the entire post, does it change the fact that he says MONERO IS A BROKEN DESIGN?

Not quite. I said Bitcoin is broken and both can't scale to million tx/s.

I thought you were referring specifically to the bloat issue that affects monero's scaling way more than bitcoin since bitcoin doesn't suffer from the same problem.

Regarding Monero's anonymity, do you stand by the statement you've expressed below in the past (regarding broken anonymity due to metadata correlation)?

Cryptonote was created by anonymous people. Even Monero's cryptographer is anonymous. Who created this anonymity that is easily broken by meta-data. I don't know if that is circumspect or just the way the world turns.

As for scaling... well scaling is a complex equation involving time, technology available, proper use of the available technology and the ratio of centralization/decentralization that is "acceptable" at any given moment.

We could say that everything can scale (if...) or everything can't scale (if....), or everything can scale in (x time), or under (z circumstances).... etc etc. The good thing with scaling is that unlike hardware and software progress, human tx needs are finite and thus the two trajectories (of increased tech progress vs finite human tx needs) will meet. If we currently, as a species, say, need 100k tx per second, there is a point where this will be feasible. And as time progresses we will be able to handle a million, ten millions, etc etc. But tx needs will still remain in a pattern of relative stability - slow growth.
Activity: 420
Merit: 262
Now that you quoted the entire post, does it change the fact that he says MONERO IS A BROKEN DESIGN?

Not quite. I said Bitcoin is broken and both can't scale to million tx/s. But that doesn't make Monero broken for its target market. Bitcoin is broken both for scaling and for centralization of mining. Monero has advantages on the latter and also adds strong privacy.

My reasons for not wanting to be folded into the development group of Monero, is because I would be a little fish in a little pond. And I am not enthralled about coding on C++ code bases. So what is the redeeming factor, when I have so much opportunity and excitement on what I am working on now? I find it a bit insulting (but more humorous and motivates my competitive fire) when iCEBREAKER and americanpegasus insinuate that the only useful coding I could do in this world would be on the itsy bitsy coins they own. That is because they are speculators and not developers. The developers don't say that to me, because they know better.
legendary

I don't care that I can do all sorts of chemical tests to verify the validity of the gold, I want to see how much each account has on a public blockchain.  

Hey. You got me there - you'd better ask the holders  Wink

The Monero holders or the gold holders?
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
Ladies & Gentlemen, I present to you the Toknormal Memorial DashHole Ignorance Hall of Fame.   Cheesy

Gold is a public blockchain

Cryptography has never been a significant part of cryptocurrency - even though it may share the first few letters.

legendary
legendary
Why would I want respect from the community of a coin with a broken design
Sorry when I build up Monero because I state facts that are true about it

Monero #REKT  Cry Cry Cry
XMR #badcrypto #broken #veryREKT

Out of context much? You little creep.

The only sure way to gain respect in the Bitcoin community is to contribute code.

Why would I want respect from the community of a coin with a broken design that I aim for my project to supercede  Huh  (note no one is excluded from leaving the broken design and joining the winner)

iCEBREAKER, just admit you can't understand what I wrote at the linked research.

Good to see iCEBREAKER is still going to need some proof from me. I love the competitiveness.

Sorry when I build up Monero because I state facts that are true about it, it doesn't mean anything has changed in terms of my plans. Hell will freeze over before I will ever write a line of code for Monero[1]. No disrespect to those who created Monero, they will be welcome to join the winner.

(can you tell I am getting healthy now, lol)

[1] I am not going to get involved in any C++ source code bases, so no bitcoind and no Monero. I know C++ since I wrote CoolPage (million user app) in it, but been there, done that, never again. More importantly, I want to change the world, so I am not going to get involved with designs that can't possible scale to 1 million transactions per second. That would be a waste of my legacy. And I am not going to get involved with communities that are off in their little corner of the internet and haven't attracted superstar non-anonymous programmers. I want to see LinkedIn accounts and career history plus major accomplishments. Gmaxwell and Adam Back don't count, because they are number theoretic/cryptography nerds. They are not systems engineers (which was obvious in my technical debate with gmaxwell regarding the indexing of streaming audio formats) and certainly not savvy marketers for the large scale adoption we need. Honestly I think smooth is very smart, but I have no idea who he is and what he has done in his career in detail. I have some vague public rumor (and his private statement) that he worked in FinTech.
legendary
Why would I want respect from the community of a coin with a broken design
Sorry when I build up Monero because I state facts that are true about it

Monero #REKT  Cry Cry Cry
XMR #badcrypto #broken #veryREKT
legendary

I don't need anyone (especially a wanabee economist) to tell me that I need to see other people's balances for it to be money

Firstly, in this case, we're talking about unbacked money, so I'm afraid you do.

Secondly, a blockchain is anonymous - like a rock. So the fact that you hold a piece of it doesn't endow it with your identity. Nobody is therefore "seeing your balance" by catching sight of that piece of rock.

You can relax.

Are you stupid or does metadata not exist in your myopic view of the world--it's rhetorical. It's backed by the cryptography being secure and the parameters that the miners agree upon--so no, I don't need to see what happens to the transactions that don't belong to me.  This lackadaisical attitude towards privacy explains dash's shoddy design-- "just relax, we've got it all under control, OSPEC? That's overkill, just put your node on amazon."

Also, your idea of money falls flat on its face when applied to a coin that uses an insecure chain like X11. An attack can go on for so long that there is no way to roll back the chain as a fix--so maybe, just maybe, the cryptography is more important than just a bunch hs mathers eyeballing the blockchain and saying, "Looks good, must be money."

legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

I don't need anyone (especially a wanabee economist) to tell me that I need to see other people's balances for it to be money

Firstly, in this case, we're talking about unbacked money, so I'm afraid you do.

Secondly, a blockchain is anonymous - like a rock. So the fact that you hold a piece of it doesn't endow it with your identity. Nobody is therefore "seeing your balance" by catching sight of that piece of rock.

You can relax.
Pages:
Jump to: