Pages:
Author

Topic: The Lightning Network FAQ - page 3. (Read 32058 times)

legendary
Activity: 3710
Merit: 10196
Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"
August 19, 2023, 02:50:25 PM
It's largely a question of adoption.  If you can find a merchant or retailer willing to accept Litecoin, then that option definitely doesn't have as steep a learning curve. 
That is why I try to make them take the coin. Sometimes it works.

It does not sound like a very good idea to be misleading merchants into shitcoins, unless maybe you are saying that bitcoin is the superior technology, but that you just want to be able to dump your shitcoin with them - because hopefully you are not suggesting that they hold your shitcoin...

Another thing is that surely bitcoin is the more important innovation - even though surely there seem to be some user-interface issues with lightning network - even though there are a few lightning network wallets that merchants could easily download. and maybe there are custodial ones such as cash app or wallet of satoshi.. but then there is phoenix and breez also.. even though there may be more difficulties for them to move into some other area if they have phoenix and/or breez and then they might want to transfer to a bitcoin wallet and then have to learn about that later-- or perhaps merchants who are not very well informed are going to want to know that they are going to be able to convert to cash, if they need to (or want to).

We do seem to be getting off topic to talk too much about any particular shitcoins, anyhow, rather than perhaps making some comparisons in terms of discussing possible ways to make the lighting options easier to use.. while at the same time many of us might realize that there are some preferences to figure out how to interface lighting network wallets with onchain wallets - unless maybe we realize that the lightning balances can also be sent to exchanges - sure not completely lightning only, but I would think that any newbie (it was the case when I started) wants to know that they have various ways to exit, if they want or need to.
Activity: 672
Merit: 16
Looking for guilt best look first into a mirror
August 19, 2023, 02:11:41 PM

It's largely a question of adoption.  If you can find a merchant or retailer willing to accept Litecoin, then that option definitely doesn't have as steep a learning curve. 

That is why I try to make them take the coin. Sometimes it works.
legendary
Activity: 3724
Merit: 3063
Leave no FUD unchallenged
August 19, 2023, 11:38:28 AM
I wonder what advantages I would have using the Lightning Network vs Litecoin?
I would need a different wallet fiddle thru some setting?
Honestly you need to be BTC Maxxi is not, It does not sound feasible to use it.

It's largely a question of adoption.  If you can find a merchant or retailer willing to accept Litecoin, then that option definitely doesn't have as steep a learning curve.  If you've never tried it before, then Lightning likely needs a bit more understanding and learning before you dive in.  Some custodial services make the process easier, but then it somewhat defeats the purpose of using Bitcoin to begin with.  Arguably it's acceptable for smaller sums, though.  But if you are going down the 'do-it-yourself' route, ensure you know what you're doing before you try to send any payments.
Activity: 672
Merit: 16
Looking for guilt best look first into a mirror
August 19, 2023, 10:24:11 AM
I wonder what advantages I would have using the Lightning Network vs Litecoin?
I would need a different wallet fiddle thru some setting?
Honestly you need to be BTC Maxxi if not, It does not sound feasible to use it.
legendary
Activity: 3122
Merit: 7618
Cashback 15%
August 12, 2023, 08:32:20 AM
a few days ago the rc1 was released and now follows cln 23.08 release candidate 2, with several bugfixes and including more documentation!

https://community.corelightning.org/c/general-questions/cln-version-23-08rc2-tagged
Activity: 406
Merit: 896
August 09, 2023, 02:24:23 AM
core lightning v23.08 release candidate 1 has now been announced and it is now time to test new and experimental features before release, such as these:
  • taproot address support for core lightning
  • introduction of renepay
  • splice funds in or out of a live channel
https://community.corelightning.org/c/general-questions/version-23-08-release-candidate-1-tagged

Just switched from LND to CLN. So far so good. Thanks for the update.
legendary
Cashback 15%
August 08, 2023, 10:05:59 AM
core lightning v23.08 release candidate 1 has now been announced and it is now time to test new and experimental features before release, such as these:
  • taproot address support for core lightning
  • introduction of renepay
  • splice funds in or out of a live channel
https://community.corelightning.org/c/general-questions/version-23-08-release-candidate-1-tagged

legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1605
July 28, 2023, 02:29:44 PM
Picture this: in a Phoenix (also Breez) scenario, providers have to rebalance the channel that connects users to their hub, for every single user, if needed.
Do they really rebalance the channels to their customers? I think they don’t. They just open new channels every time they try to route something to a customer but have no outbound liquidity in the existing channels to that customer. And they get fees for opening each new channel. This is one of the main sources of their income.
Activity: 882
Merit: 5818
not your keys, not your coins!
July 27, 2023, 06:48:08 PM
Quite obvious. Large lightning nodes which are the default hubs for custodial wallets have respectable part of the network's funds.
I see. But Blixt, Phoenix and Muun also have such default hubs for all their users. Nevertheless, routing is much worse for these wallets (comparing with LNBits, for example).
Not sure about Blixt and Muun, but to the best of my knowledge, Phoenix is (still) completely self-custodial. So while you do only have a channel with their node, making it a 'hub' of sorts, it is different to custodial wallets, where you don't even run your own node with your own channel(s) at all, but just have a balance on someone else's node.
This highly facilitates the job of the 'hub' provider to make sure every user has plenty of inbound and outbound capacity.

Picture this: in a Phoenix (also Breez) scenario, providers have to rebalance the channel that connects users to their hub, for every single user, if needed.
In a custodial scenario, they have to do that once for all users. Because it's 'just' one big node to manage, with liquidity going in and out. And transfers between users can be made without even touching Lightning. L3, if you wish.
legendary
July 26, 2023, 05:02:09 AM
Quite obvious. Large lightning nodes which are the default hubs for custodial wallets have respectable part of the network's funds.
I see. But Blixt, Phoenix and Muun also have such default hubs for all their users. Nevertheless, routing is much worse for these wallets (comparing with LNBits, for example).
legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1823
July 25, 2023, 11:17:08 AM

Using Lightning through BlueWallet does not have "remarkably low fees". It was known that it had hidden fees for each LN transaction that would sometimes cost the user high fees than the average, depending on demand and transaction size.
When it did exist, yes, but isn't BlueWallet's hub shut down?

They did, as I also mentioned in the same post, which wasn't included in your quote. Cool
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo
July 25, 2023, 11:00:51 AM
Simoultaneously, custodial wallets have no problems with routing.
Quite obvious. Large lightning nodes which are the default hubs for custodial wallets have respectable part of the network's funds. Wallet of Satoshi is a good example of a custodial wallet with large capacity; they have 200 BTC, in more than two thousand channels. That's like 4% of the total bitcoins of the network's capacity.

Using Lightning through BlueWallet does not have "remarkably low fees". It was known that it had hidden fees for each LN transaction that would sometimes cost the user high fees than the average, depending on demand and transaction size.
When it did exist, yes, but isn't BlueWallet's hub shut down?

Nevermind.
legendary
July 25, 2023, 10:39:40 AM
OP, probably good to remove BlueWallet and add Mutiny.

In my venture to explore the Lightning Network (LN), I opted for the seamless experience provided by BlueWallet. The transactions conducted were solely in BTC, amounting to a mere USD $0.1. The swiftness of these transactions was remarkable, accompanied by remarkably low fees. However, I find myself more inclined towards Bitcoin (segwit) due to familiarity.

For LN, it may be suitable for facilitating sales and purchases at various stores while also introducing the original Bitcoin, highlighting how it is perceived, what is observed, and so forth. As of now, there are no plans to uninstall the game here.

Uninstall the "game"? You mean BlueWallet? They already removed support for LN two months ago, that's why OP must remove it in his list and add another wallet like Mutiny.
legendary
July 25, 2023, 06:17:11 AM
a new version of the blixt wallet has now been released. the new 0.6.8 version includes some fixes as well as the new feature called speedloader
the complete changelog and the download files can be found at the github link below the quote:

Speedloader syncs the wallet's channel database ("channel graph") on startup. This is important for payment pathfinding and will make sure you have an up-to-date database.
https://github.com/hsjoberg/blixt-wallet/releases/tag/v0.6.8

I almost cannot send anything from Blixt for two months already. It cannot find any route even a couple of sats. I tried to send to LNP2PBOT, to LNBITS, to CoinOS. Only one transfer out of five runs.

Actually, the same case is with Phoenix, and with Muun as well.

Simoultaneously, custodial wallets have no problems with routing.
Activity: 1358
Merit: 538
paper money is going away
July 17, 2023, 05:02:42 PM
In my venture to explore the Lightning Network (LN), I opted for the seamless experience provided by BlueWallet. The transactions conducted were solely in BTC, amounting to a mere USD $0.1. The swiftness of these transactions was remarkable, accompanied by remarkably low fees. However, I find myself more inclined towards Bitcoin (segwit) due to familiarity.

For LN, it may be suitable for facilitating sales and purchases at various stores while also introducing the original Bitcoin, highlighting how it is perceived, what is observed, and so forth. As of now, there are no plans to uninstall the game here.
legendary
July 16, 2023, 09:38:27 AM

What is Mutiny? It's the first self-custodial lightning wallet that runs on the web! Control your funds on an open standard that does not depend on Apple or Google app stores. No downloads are needed!

We've set out to solve the onboarding problem for Bitcoin no matter who you are, where you live, or what device you are using. And because funds are fully in your control, there's no need to provide identity to a regulated institution. This is what it looks like to make Bitcoin accessible to the 5 billion global internet users with access to a web browser.

https://blog.mutinywallet.com/mutiny-wallet-open-beta/

I haven't looked closely at all the details on how it actually works but a "self-custodial wallet that runs on the web" means you store your keys in your browser? Probably not a good idea for big amount of Bitcoin. Haha.

Although trade-offs taken by their developers does make it easier for new users and does help solve the onboarding problem.
Activity: 35
Merit: 13
July 16, 2023, 01:17:55 AM
I would recommend Blink (formerly BItcoinBeachWallet) available for ios and android and app gallery  https://www.blink.sv/
It says that Blink is unavailable some countries app stores, including the US  Roll Eyes
I like that they are supporting Stablesats, USD equivalent that is much better way of holding some kind of stablecoins but without having to deal with shitcoins.
So far I didn't try it but I might give it a go to see how it works, but if I understand correctly this is custodial LN wallet.

You are correct it's a custodial bitcoin ln wallet gaining popularity in latam. Not available in U.S due to Blink not operating (having a legal company set up in the U.S) regulation is not clear for them to want to hop in plus its costly and there are recent U.S companies shutting down like https://unbanked.com/unbanked-will-be-winding-down/ , so it appears the U.S might be losing some ground here.
legendary
Cashback 15%
June 28, 2023, 02:30:19 PM
a new version of the blixt wallet has now been released. the new 0.6.8 version includes some fixes as well as the new feature called speedloader
the complete changelog and the download files can be found at the github link below the quote:

Speedloader syncs the wallet's channel database ("channel graph") on startup. This is important for payment pathfinding and will make sure you have an up-to-date database.
https://github.com/hsjoberg/blixt-wallet/releases/tag/v0.6.8

legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
June 23, 2023, 03:12:50 PM
I would recommend Blink (formerly BItcoinBeachWallet) available for ios and android and app gallery  https://www.blink.sv/
It says that Blink is unavailable some countries app stores, including the US  Roll Eyes
I like that they are supporting Stablesats, USD equivalent that is much better way of holding some kind of stablecoins but without having to deal with shitcoins.
So far I didn't try it but I might give it a go to see how it works, but if I understand correctly this is custodial LN wallet.
Activity: 35
Merit: 13
June 22, 2023, 08:11:56 PM
I would recommend Blink (formerly BItcoinBeachWallet) available for ios and android and app gallery  https://www.blink.sv/
Pages:
Jump to: