Pages:
Author

Topic: The Lightning Network FAQ - page 30. (Read 32079 times)

Activity: 882
Merit: 5818
not your keys, not your coins!
September 21, 2021, 08:58:37 PM
Hello.

What are your thoughts about triangles and other geometries between LN channels?

I have the idea that these kind of closed loops of channels are bad for the network, because it's like if you are putting the entire network out of that loop. So, wouldn't it be more reasonable to spread the most possible our connections instead of creating those closed loops between channels?
Sure, if you only have one channel and that channel is part of a LN ring, the rest of the network is out of this loop.

But nobody does this. As soon as you have multiple of these rings, everyone in one of these 2 rings can reach everyone in the other ring, since you run the node that ties them together. Of course this gets even better as soon as every participant has multiple rings or triangles and connections to hubs and other participants.

In general, a mix of hub, ring, triangle, individual connections is what I personally use Wink

It's true that when creating rings the channels are single-funded and your 'balanced liquidity' is only 'globally'. It shouldn't be an issue with low per-hop fees, but if you want, you can balance a ring once it's completed.
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
September 21, 2021, 01:44:03 AM
They give you inbound and outbound capacity but in separate channels.

Yeah, that's redundant. It is better to have 1 big channel than 2 redundant small channels.

I mean, it's better to have good balance per channel than just globally, which is what you might get from rings!

True, rings start out unbalanced and need manual balancing. Dual-funded channels would be ideal.
Activity: 1176
Merit: 647
I rather die on my feet than to live on my knees
September 20, 2021, 06:35:34 PM
Hello.

What are your thoughts about triangles and other geometries between LN channels?

I have the idea that these kind of closed loops of channels are bad for the network, because it's like if you are putting the entire network out of that loop. So, wouldn't it be more reasonable to spread the most possible our connections instead of creating those closed loops between channels?

A newly-opened channel only has outbound liquidity. Loops give all nodes both inbound and outbound liquidity without creating redundant channels. It might even assist in rebalancing.

Not 100% true now.

(I speak for myself) - With C-lightning you can open a channel that is balanced right from the start if you use liquidity ads, which were recently introduced.

They give you inbound and outbound capacity but in separate channels. I think it's always better to have balanced channels. I mean, it's better to have good balance per channel than just globally, which is what you might get from rings!

And what you mean by "redundant channels"??
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
September 18, 2021, 03:08:36 AM
Hello.

A newly-opened channel only has outbound liquidity. Loops give all nodes both inbound and outbound liquidity without creating redundant channels. It might even assist in rebalancing.
September 17, 2021, 05:42:25 PM
Hello.

legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
September 13, 2021, 07:57:34 AM
One more question, if you check Tor config, are there any warning that you shouldn't edit it by yourself or the change might be overwritten by raspiblitz? I know few Tor tools which suddenly change your configuration which might broke other tool.

If you were on clearnet it goes and changes the bitcoin.conf and all the other apps you have installed to use TOR.
If you un-check it, it puts the configs back to the way they were.
If you check it again, it's back to the stock TOR config.

As far I can tell with over a year of use it never touches the configs again. The configs are not even on the SD card but on the HDD, so when you upgrade they are the way you left them.

But you are probably better off asking on their github for more info: https://github.com/rootzoll/raspiblitz/issues

-Dave

legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
September 13, 2021, 07:26:28 AM
But i wonder how reliable is the "one-click Tor" feature? Would it work automatically if Tor is also censored? It's not easy task to find bridge (which isn't blocked) or create your own bridge.

At least for raspiblitz there are no 'quick' options to change. If TOR is censored by your ISP / government you would have to change the settings manually in the TOR configs.

I can't check on mynode at the moment since I reformatted it to try Umbrel yesterday and had a few issues so I stopped trying. I'll try again next weekend unless I have some slow time during the week.

-Dave
September 12, 2021, 05:54:29 PM
These are not PC towers or even micro towers. These are very tiny cases with a RPi4 (or rock 64 in this case) and the m.2 drive. There is almost no airflow so you do have to make sure there is enough to keep everything happy. Even a couple of watts in a tight space can get very hot very quickly if there is no air movement.
That's good to keep in mind! I haven't tried yet with a good passive heatsink and no airflow, to be honest, maybe that's indeed not enough.
September 12, 2021, 05:45:15 PM
Trying to program a small chip to control the NVME M.2 drive temperature, conenct the fan to it and then screw the fun as close as possible to the NVME drive chips. It will also use a thermal resistor to read temps and the fan will change rpms accordingly!
Wait, since when is SSD temperature such a big concern? And since when does a LN node have so much disk I/O going on that it would get super hot?
I run 2 NVMe SSDs in a tower of mine with just simple passive heatsinks on them and they run just fine.
Just a heads up that you might be overengineering here! Wink

You're right. I forgot to mention. The temps goes higher only during IBD, when I eventually have to do it. Other than that, it runs smoothly with no major temperature issues.

Trying to program a small chip to control the NVME M.2 drive temperature, conenct the fan to it and then screw the fun as close as possible to the NVME drive chips. It will also use a thermal resistor to read temps and the fan will change rpms accordingly!
Wait, since when is SSD temperature such a big concern? And since when does a LN node have so much disk I/O going on that it would get super hot?
I run 2 NVMe SSDs in a tower of mine with just simple passive heatsinks on them and they run just fine.

These are not PC towers or even micro towers. These are very tiny cases with a RPi4 (or rock 64 in this case) and the m.2 drive. There is almost no airflow so you do have to make sure there is enough to keep everything happy. Even a couple of watts in a tight space can get very hot very quickly if there is no air movement.

-Dave

Yeah that is a fact too. My RockPro64 chip is running a medium heat sink from Pine store, a small PC RAM fan (Revoltec brand). And it probably didn't even need, but it's always good. The NVME drive don't even have a heatsink, so, there's where my concern with temps come.
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
September 12, 2021, 05:26:00 PM

-Dave
September 12, 2021, 05:20:55 PM
September 12, 2021, 05:10:13 PM

...Let me tell you about another great solution. And if you're willing to spend a bit more and use an NVME M.2 drive, consider a RockPro64 SBC. It's way faster than Raspi4 and it supports the mentioned superfast drives....

Did you find / do you have a nice case that supports that card?
Everything I have seen is either big and expensive or looks like cheap plastic.

I did my own. It's not ready yet because something got in the way in the meantime. But I bought a board of acrylic, took some measures (quite some trial and error, tbh, :p) and cut it, glued it with specific glue for acrylic, used some plastic bolts and threads to place the board on top of them, and I'm now (this is the part that is stalled due to some life issues) trying to program a small chip to control the NVME M.2 drive temperature, conenct the fan to it and then screw the fun as close as possible to the NVME drive chips. It will also use a thermal resistor to read temps and the fan will change rpms accordingly!

The ones I saw (cases) in the official site are too big, metal and expensive, for my taste. And don't even remember if I could mod them to reuse the old fans I had here!
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
September 11, 2021, 07:51:22 AM
Hey, just want to plonk a link to this topic here for anyone interested in running a LN node in the USA:
Devastating "Infrastructure" bill in US - contact your representatives

Apparently they want to treat node operators as brokers due to 'facilitating transactions'.
Maybe worth following if you're located there.. Smiley

Kohas787 will be so happy that he can start spam-calling the nearest FBI office, and report that his neighbor is running a Lightning node from the basement, earning $5.00 in routing fees per week.

If only somene wrote a guide in how to run a Lightning node over the TOR network, https://stopanddecrypt.medium.com/running-bitcoin-lightning-nodes-over-the-tor-network-2021-edition-489180297d5 Cool

And for those who are using a 'node in a box'

If you are using a Raspiblitz to run over tor it's s single click and a reboot.
For mynode it's insert $99 and click a and reboot as it's a premium feature
Umbrel also can use TOR, not sure of how to configure it. Setting up an umbel box is on the to-do list.

So if you are a bit twitchy about setting up / running a linux box you can still run it all on TOR thanks to the work of the people who made these devices.

-Dave
legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1823
September 11, 2021, 06:48:10 AM
Hey, just want to plonk a link to this topic here for anyone interested in running a LN node in the USA:

Apparently they want to treat node operators as brokers due to 'facilitating transactions'.

Kohas787 will be so happy that he can start spam-calling the nearest FBI office, and report that his neighbor is running a Lightning node from the basement, earning $5.00 in routing fees per week.

If only somene wrote a guide in how to run a Lightning node over the TOR network, https://stopanddecrypt.medium.com/running-bitcoin-lightning-nodes-over-the-tor-network-2021-edition-489180297d5 Cool
September 10, 2021, 08:31:51 AM

legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
September 05, 2021, 11:46:32 AM
...I also used that case (without the m.2 slot) for my build. Nevertheless, the Pi was getting quite hot very often despite the built-in fan and included thermal pads. Also, the fan is a little bit noisy above 50% of its maximum speed. I eventually moved my node from the Pi to a normal server....

Both of mine are running cool and the fan barely be heard. But, that's just my units.

...Let me tell you about another great solution. And if you're willing to spend a bit more and use an NVME M.2 drive, consider a RockPro64 SBC. It's way faster than Raspi4 and it supports the mentioned superfast drives....

Did you find / do you have a nice case that supports that card?
Everything I have seen is either big and expensive or looks like cheap plastic.

...note that the Pi CPU can be underclocked in /boot/config.txt.... somewhere, somehow Cheesy ...

There is a line
#arm_freq= 700
With the above line commented out max by default is 1400, so if you uncomment it and put in a number lower then 1400 is will never go above that.

-Dave

legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071
September 05, 2021, 10:19:40 AM
the Pi was getting quite hot very often despite the built-in fan and included thermal pads. Also, the fan is a little bit noisy above 50% of its maximum speed. I eventually moved my node from the Pi to a normal server.

note that the Pi CPU can be underclocked in /boot/config.txt.... somewhere, somehow Cheesy

Anyway, I don't want anything else other than my RockPro64 board (raw Debian in it), and I install solely what I want, the way I want and when I want. Full control... Period!

you can get even more control using open source BIOS, which became available for the RockPro64 recently (check coreboot.org)
September 03, 2021, 06:42:05 PM
Do I have to run a full Bitcoin node?

No, LND supports neutrino; c-lightning allows using a pruned node. Eclair users are out of luck. Mobile clients obviously do not need you to run a Bitcoin node.
I have no idea if this was discussed yet since this thread is damn long, but I would like to mention that I tried c-lightning with a pruned node, since it was mentioned everywhere that it should be possible, then ran into issues. When asking in the community, I was told that indeed those issues were due to me running Bitcoin Core pruned, so I had to go back to square 1 and restart Bitcoin Core in non-pruned mode.

Also PSA for newbies: Raspberry Pi Model 3B+ with a (fast) USB 3.0 HDD takes literal weeks to sync and verify the whole blockchain. Either have a real desktop (maybe also laptop with enough umph) Linux PC with which you can do the initial sync, then plug the drive into the Pi. Or use an SSD. Just wanting to prevent tons of headache Cheesy

Especially since in case of an issue with the HDD (give it external power!!), when Bitcoin Core has to restart, it has to re-verify a ton of blocks which can easily add a day or two for each crash that you experience.

About the underline statement, yes there are some issues but there is a solution. I can't tell it because I'm also not aware how to work around it, but I know it is possible. The c-lightning telegram channel is one of the best places to ask how to run a pruned bitcoin node and c-lightning. Sooner or later you'll get the solution.

All that extra processing power for $20.00 more.
I know that due to the current shortages prices are all over the place, but you can still here in the US get a 4 with 4GB for $50 delivered give or take a few dollars.
Wow, I knew that each consecutive Pi added a bit more power, but never checked the numbers, and indeed the jump from 3 to 4 is insane!
I always had the issue though, that I bought a Raspberry Pi shortly before the new one came out, so I'm stuck with a 3B+ for almost as long as the model 4 exists.. Ugh. Now I don't want to make the same mistake again and buy a model 4 now if maybe next month a 5 comes out lol.

Anyway, my Bitcoin stuff just runs on an older Intel platform, which is probably still faster than a Pi model 4 (though of course much higher power consumption) and I already had it, so it was 'free'. Also easier to work with in general, e.g. apt updates take forever on Pis (at least anything up to including 3B+).

A Pi is though much more compact and easier to tuck away, I was thinking of still getting a model 4 with the Argon One m.2 case (https://thepihut.com/products/argon-one-m-2-raspberry-pi-4-case). However, I'm hopefully getting my Futurebit Apollo soon whose SBC should have even more power than a Raspi, and will try to install Lightning onto that. Would also be a nice compact solution and having a compact full node with LN and a hashboard would be really sick, let's see how it will work out Grin

Let me tell you about another great solution. And if you're willing to spend a bit more and use an NVME M.2 drive, consider a RockPro64 SBC. It's way faster than Raspi4 and it supports the mentioned superfast drives. The downside is one 4Gb of memory, even so, it's way better than Raspi4.

@BlackHatCoiner, this is towards you too. Smiley

My experience with my RockPro64 + Samsung NVME M.2 (128Gb) + 1Tb external drive (Western Digital), I don't complain about any fan noise. I am using an old PC RAM fan and a heat dissipator. During the hashing of the entire blockchain, what heat up the most was in fact the NVME drive. The heat sink did it's job along with the small fan.

In my point of view, LND pros is just the fact that you can open a channel towards someone that already opened a channel towards you, but C-Lightning have more pros. Lighter, less resources hungry, more configurable, and yes, the fact that you can write a plugin in pretty much any language, is a must! This is a door wide open for any dev to contribute. I'm amazed how it is not yet filled with people building plugins.

Anyway, I don't want anything else other than my RockPro64 board (raw Debian in it), and I install solely what I want, the way I want and when I want. Full control... Period!

PS:
Actually, there is a plugin to deal with C-Lightning + Bitcoin pruned node. Check here.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131
September 03, 2021, 12:08:41 PM
Interesting - since it was mentioned in this thread that lnd pulls way more on the resources than c-lightning, maybe it's worth a try with c-lightning?

Sure, you can give it a try. Although, you will have to install everything manually rather than use some out-of-the-box solution.

How long did it take to sync your full node?

I copied the block data from my computer. I didn't want to waste time so I started the sync while I was waiting for all parts to arrive.

How long was it taking to sync the ElectrumX before you give up?

Somewhere around one week. The sync was not even halfway through. It took less than a week on different hardware. See this topic.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo
September 03, 2021, 07:40:29 AM
I also tried running ElectrumX on the Pi but I couldn't stand the noise of the fan which started kicking in even more frequently. The initial sync was taking so long that I eventually gave up.
C'mon no!

I'm waiting to finish the syncing of my node so I can install ElectrumX on it. I gave up on the node OSes, as I want to do it all from linux, command line by line. I was also facing issues with the outgoing connections; sometimes I hadn't even one node connected which was so annoying. Tried umbrel & myNode which left me unsatisfied. I am now trying Raspibolt which is better. (Due to the running from a linux OS)

I remember reading that it took you a lot of time in the past, but forgot how much exactly, so here're my questions for you since we have the same hardware;

• How long did it take to sync your full node?
  • How long was it taking to sync the ElectrumX before you give up?
Pages:
Jump to: