Pages:
Author

Topic: The Lightning Network FAQ - page 32. (Read 32079 times)

Activity: 154
Merit: 177
August 28, 2021, 01:18:06 PM
I just wanted to make this available here as I'm not sure many of us are aware of this recent feature in C-Lightning nodes.
yes, a few people started talking about dual-funding in this thread a couple months back, some even used it to make channels (apparently)

it's still accessed using --experimental-features in c-lightning, so craeful craeful etc
rath and me used it to open a channel and i think he used it again with someone else. even though it is marked as experimental, i think it is save to use. at least i haven't heard of any problems so far
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071
August 28, 2021, 09:06:06 AM
I just wanted to make this available here as I'm not sure many of us are aware of this recent feature in C-Lightning nodes.

yes, a few people started talking about dual-funding in this thread a couple months back, some even used it to make channels (apparently)

it's still accessed using --experimental-features in c-lightning, so craeful craeful etc

Activity: 1176
Merit: 647
I rather die on my feet than to live on my knees
August 28, 2021, 06:45:22 AM
Hello.

This is about the experimental feature of dual funding channels and advertising liquidity to the network.
There are some instructions on how to setup it up and configurations needed.

Hope it captivates interest of more C-Lightning users and help the network to grow, even for a bit!

https://medium.com/blockstream/setting-up-liquidity-ads-in-c-lightning-54e4c59c091d
legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1823
August 24, 2021, 06:00:06 AM
I haven’t explored the website yet, but a this is a social network platform built on the Lightning Network called “Zion”, https://getzion.com/

I don’t know how it works or if it’s required that you run your own node, I hope it doesn’t have that requirement for low entry barrier for new users.

this is a pretty stupid idea... there is already activity pub for example, why reinvent the wheel? for what?

It’s actually not. Whether Zion becomes a success, or a failure, it development can be used as an illustration of what can be built on top of the Lightning Network. But I’m the stupid one, maybe you’re right, or maybe my stupid and the idea’s stupid negates the stupid. - x - = +. Cool

Lighning keeps growing, https://twitter.com/BitcoinIsaiah/status/1429983900043038721
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131
August 24, 2021, 05:45:57 AM
this seems to be moving into "The Lightning Network News"

It's been like that for most of the time anyway.

Zion's github mentioned it's Relay forked from Sphinx protocol, i wonder if they're talking about protocol used for Sphinx Chat?

Yes, they are. Relay is actually what you need if you want your node to be able to work with Sphinx Chat.
August 24, 2021, 02:48:01 AM

oh, okay. when searching, i only came across this ln thread and couldn't find a separate ln thread for news Roll Eyes Tongue
i ask then the mods (gmaxwell & achow101) to move my post then in the appropriate ln-news-thread - thanks Wink

Lightning Network Observer might be the news thread you are looking for - but don't quote me on that  Grin
legendary
Activity: 3122
Merit: 7618
Crypto Swap Exchange
August 24, 2021, 02:43:21 AM

oh, okay. when searching, i only came across this ln thread and couldn't find a separate ln thread for news Roll Eyes Tongue
i ask then the mods (gmaxwell & achow101) to move my post then in the appropriate ln-news-thread - thanks Wink
August 24, 2021, 02:38:08 AM
legendary
Activity: 3122
Merit: 7618
Crypto Swap Exchange
August 24, 2021, 02:24:50 AM

The growth of Bitcoin's Lightning network has exploded in recent weeks. Several key metrics used to measure the network size and connectivity have reached all-time highs.
https://www.btctimes.com/news/lightning-network-growth-changing-bitcoin-payment-narrative

and when the Bitcoin law comes into force in el salvador at the beginning of september, several ln's will follow Wink

OpenNode, an industry-leading Bitcoin payment processor, announced today that Substack, an online publishing platform with over 500,000 paying subscribers, has integrated their Bitcoin API to offer Bitcoin payments on the online publishing platform. OpenNode will power both on-chain and Lightning Network Bitcoin payments.
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/substack-is-now-accepting-bitcoin-payments-on-the-lightning-network-powered-by-bitcoin-payment-processor-opennode-301360039.html

with Substrack there is another service that will now also support the lightning network Wink
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131
August 23, 2021, 08:37:23 PM
I haven’t explored the website yet, but a this is a social network platform built on the Lightning Network called “Zion”, https://getzion.com/

There is also Sphinx Chat. It's been around for quite a while and anyone with LND node can use it. It works on the same principle as Zion and offers similar features.

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo
August 23, 2021, 09:40:11 AM
right - and what did facebook and myspace both use? which network?
What does it matter?

what does zion add to the internet network?
Same thing Facebook & MySpace do.
August 23, 2021, 09:30:54 AM
the internet is the network for information and bitcoin is the network for value/truth
Completely unrelated.
no it is not see below

myspace was not the network, the internet is!
I said that it's a social media platform, not a network protocol. Facebook is/was an alternative of MySpace and it got it over simply because the implementation of a social media platform was more dedicated than it was with MySpace. Same thing may happen with Zion and that activity pub you mentioned.
right - and what did facebook and myspace both use? which network?

edit: the network bitcoin uses the internet to transfer information, but adds the possibility to transfer value, which is not possible on the internet itself. what does zion add to the internet network?
legendary
Farewell, Leo
August 23, 2021, 09:21:38 AM
I said that it's a social media platform, not a network protocol. Facebook is/was an alternative of MySpace and it got it over simply because the implementation of a social media platform was more dedicated than it was with MySpace. Same thing may happen with Zion and that activity pub you mentioned.

the internet is the network for information and bitcoin is the network for value/truth
Completely unrelated.
August 23, 2021, 08:52:01 AM
I am not sure what you consider long-term but there are different currencies and languages, and depending on where you are, it's you who need to adapt and not the other way around. You can try and shop with your dominant USD or EUR or whatever in a particular country and see how far that gets you. When I was doing some work in Germany a long time ago, I asked my boss if we can speak in English because I am fluent in English and still learning German. She said no! We speak German here. In other words, you can take your dominant English language and shove it. She just said it nicely.
i am talking longterm. like looooongterm. globalisation, the internet and so on exists for a really short time

wow such a great claim, did you know that you can get paid right now for your creation? as i said, the idea is stupid
So what? Since when is more competition not desirable? If I buy my groceries at shop #1, I should never enter shops #2 or #3 even if they have the same or better type of offers and should consider them stupid for trying?
competition is awesome. but shops are not networks. in a network you don't want competition. you don't want 10 different chat apps (maybe 10 different apps, but using the same network!!). 10 different languages. networks are about communication and again in the longterm we will settle on one way to communicate. for language and value

And for comparison: MySpace was a social media platform which was made before Facebook while no one uses it anymore. It turns out that the greatest implementation of each invention is what makes the difference.

legendary
Farewell, Leo
August 23, 2021, 08:44:59 AM
look into the history of money and you will see that there was always one dominating money - i meant money and didn't say it is bitcoin atm, i am pretty sure it will be after the dollar collapses, but who knows the future
But, if you examine your example, you'll see where you're wrong. You can't discourage someone from using an alternative method just because there was another before.

If USD is the one dominating at the moment, shouldn't I use Bitcoin? Just because the majority uses USD, it doesn't mean that it's better than Bitcoin. Same applies for cryptocurrencies. If you want privacy, you shouldn't choose Bitcoin just because the majority of the cryptocurrency users does; you should pick Monero instead even if Bitcoin's market cap is a hundred and sixty times higher.

And for comparison: MySpace was a social media platform which was made before Facebook while no one uses it anymore. It turns out that the greatest implementation of each invention is what makes the difference.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
August 23, 2021, 08:31:04 AM
if you don't know what it is, how can you think it is not stupid?
I am basing that solely on the info found on Zion's homepage. 

same with the telephone for example or language, or money (like bitcoin). there will be only one in the longterm (or at least one network which dominates).
I am not sure what you consider long-term but there are different currencies and languages, and depending on where you are, it's you who need to adapt and not the other way around. You can try and shop with your dominant USD or EUR or whatever in a particular country and see how far that gets you. When I was doing some work in Germany a long time ago, I asked my boss if we can speak in English because I am fluent in English and still learning German. She said no! We speak German here. In other words, you can take your dominant English language and shove it. She just said it nicely.

wow such a great claim, did you know that you can get paid right now for your creation? as i said, the idea is stupid
So what? Since when is more competition not desirable? If I buy my groceries at shop #1, I should never enter shops #2 or #3 even if they have the same or better type of offers and should consider them stupid for trying?
August 23, 2021, 08:24:49 AM
You mean cryptocurrency? Bitcoin is surely not the only type of money that dominates.
look into the history of money and you will see that there was always one dominating money - i meant money and didn't say it is bitcoin atm, i am pretty sure it will be after the dollar collapses, but who knows the future

there will probably always be people who don't understand what networks are and therefore other monies, other internets, other social networks will exist, but as a minority...
And what does that mean? That they shouldn't? What does it matter if the majority chose Facebook? That I should too? I may prefer using Google+ or Instagram.
no - i don't care what you use and you are free to use whatever you want
legendary
Farewell, Leo
August 23, 2021, 08:17:59 AM
or money (like bitcoin).
You mean cryptocurrency? Bitcoin is surely not the only type of money that dominates.

there will probably always be people who don't understand what networks are and therefore other monies, other internets, other social networks will exist, but as a minority...
And what does that mean? That they shouldn't? What does it matter if the majority chose Facebook? That I should too? I may prefer using Google+ or Instagram.
August 23, 2021, 08:05:23 AM
I am not familiar with either Zion or Activity Pub, but I don't think the idea is stupid.
if you don't know what it is, how can you think it is not stupid?

Besides, there isn't just one internet browser, there are many different types. There isn't one document creating and editing software, there are multiple.
social networks are like the internet a network, same with the telephone for example or language, or money (like bitcoin). there will be only one in the longterm (or at least one network which dominates), there will probably always be people who don't understand what networks are and therefore other monies, other internets, other social networks will exist, but as a minority...

Zion claims that content creators can get paid for their creations and those who consume the content can get in on it as well. Compare that with traditional social media platforms, you get nothing unless you are a famous person with millions of followers. On the other hand, the platforms make money on your data and interests.  
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
August 23, 2021, 07:56:18 AM
this is a pretty stupid idea... there is already activity pub for example, why reinvent the wheel? for what?
I am not familiar with either Zion or Activity Pub, but I don't think the idea is stupid. Besides, there isn't just one internet browser, there are many different types. There isn't one document creating and editing software, there are multiple.

Zion claims that content creators can get paid for their creations and those who consume the content can get in on it as well. Compare that with traditional social media platforms, you get nothing unless you are a famous person with millions of followers. On the other hand, the platforms make money on your data and interests. 
Pages:
Jump to: