Pages:
Author

Topic: The Lightning Network FAQ - page 71. (Read 32053 times)

legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1823
December 25, 2019, 04:09:09 AM
Trolls doesn't believe that development of privacy features are possible in Lightning. Plus I encourage bad-actors/spying-agencies to "track" Lightning transactions. They would have to stake Bitcoin and help with liquidity. Cool
legendary
December 25, 2019, 01:50:51 AM
Possible use-case for Lightning. Viable as a trust-minimized alternative to mixing/tumbling if privacy features are developed.

Your thoughts?
Viable if you never get back on chain (or spend everything on the Lightning Network)  Wink But privacy features *are needed* a step before accessing the LN anyway, and it is not an alternative in any way.

Never? What/how would someone track my transactions to myself in Lightning, with privacy features enabled?
Activity: 279
Merit: 435
December 24, 2019, 12:33:09 PM
Possible use-case for Lightning. Viable as a trust-minimized alternative to mixing/tumbling if privacy features are developed.

Your thoughts?
Viable if you never get back on chain (or spend everything on the Lightning Network)  Wink But privacy features *are needed* a step before accessing the LN anyway, and it is not an alternative in any way.
legendary
December 24, 2019, 04:42:31 AM

Your thoughts?
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071
December 13, 2019, 04:07:54 AM
The Wikipedia page for the Lightning Network is being considered for deletion. Why censor technical information, and how can it be saved?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_Network

in which case, wikipedia is "not notable"

my suggestions

1. Make your screenshot as small or smaller than the way I have
2. Make the screenshot within your actual mind of wikipedia's importance commensurately smaller still
3. Stop talking about wikipedia as if it's a thing

the alternative is to allow a platform that is being redacted and censored along political lines to determine what "is" is. Take that power away from them, and they have the no such power to do any such thing
legendary
Activity: 3696
Merit: 10155
Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"
December 12, 2019, 05:44:03 AM
The Wikipedia page for the Lightning Network is being considered for deletion. Why censor technical information, and how can it be saved?

Seems that the involved editors are merely suggesting to combine Lightning Network under bitcoin rather than to delete the information?  Might be a temporary measure, no?
legendary
December 12, 2019, 05:10:58 AM

December 09, 2019, 01:40:31 PM
hello everyone... is it possible to use all the funds in the locked channel??
Hi philboosty,

You can use all the funds you locked, minus the reserve (used to maintain the incentive of both parties to not try to cheat).
Activity: 4
Merit: 0
December 09, 2019, 12:31:40 PM
hello everyone... is it possible to use all the funds in the locked channel??
December 09, 2019, 05:40:44 AM
Hi guys,

I have recently decided I had to get a Lightning wallet and wanted to hear from you guys

What are the best wallets compatible with lightning?

Can I use the lightning network for long term storage?

Thanks

I might get some criticisms, but just use BlueWallet. It's the easiest UX to get started in Lightning for newbies.

https://bluewallet.io
If someone wants (need?) to go as far as using a custodial wallet, ACINQ's Phoenix might be a good choice. And, at least, they tend toward removing the custodian (but for sure less toward removing the reliance on their services  Tongue )
legendary
December 09, 2019, 03:50:27 AM
This tool might be useful for some of you LN "extremists".

https://tip.bigsun.xyz

The developers also need a front-end designer/developer, a volunteer. Cool
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
December 06, 2019, 05:38:44 AM
I might get some criticisms, but just use BlueWallet. It's the easiest UX to get started in Lightning for newbies.
I agree. But for long-term storage it's a terrible idea to use a custodial wallet (similar to using exchanges for long-term storage).
legendary
December 06, 2019, 05:35:50 AM
Hi guys,

I have recently decided I had to get a Lightning wallet and wanted to hear from you guys

Thanks

https://bluewallet.io
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
December 04, 2019, 05:17:53 AM
I have recently decided I had to get a Lightning wallet
Why?

It depends.

This question is what made me ask "Why" you want a LN wallet. I use my LN-wallet for small, frequent payments, which is what LN can do much cheaper than on-chain Bitcoin.
However, when you're talking about long-term storage, there's absolutely no reason to do that in an open LN-channel!
Activity: 412
Merit: 250
December 04, 2019, 12:17:17 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks
December 02, 2019, 07:00:04 AM
Is there any way to download clightning binaries which were compiled with `--enable-developer`? Maybe they are shared as a regular version.
No, but building C-lightning is really straightforward.

Hi. What i want to ask is, if possible can i run a lightning node on my pc 24/7 or i should buy a server or vps for this? Maybe server is safer. And how much bitcoin i need to start a lightning node/channel?
Hi,

As you want.
Running one on your host is completely feasible and I think that's what most of people do (according to some stats made by Christian Decker and presented at TheLightningConference).
A server is not "safer", but will make you a better routing node as you will have a far better uptime.
There is minimum required, but in practice some node force a minimum to open a channel with them. You could try out the Lightning Network just by opening a few channels of few millis worth.
Activity: 1414
Merit: 516
December 02, 2019, 05:59:14 AM
Hi. What i want to ask is, if possible can i run a lightning node on my pc 24/7 or i should buy a server or vps for this? Maybe server is safer. And how much bitcoin i need to start a lightning node/channel?
Activity: 155
Merit: 67
December 01, 2019, 07:35:08 PM
however if you want 0 gossip you can still compile with `--enable-developer` and use the `dev-suppress-gossip` command.
Thanks a lot! You made everything clear.
Is there any way to download clightning binaries which were compiled with `--enable-developer`? Maybe they are shared as a regular version.
December 01, 2019, 06:56:59 PM
Hi,

Hi! I have a couple of question about c-lightning
The first question:
As far as I understood, c-lightning wants to run bitcoin-cli executable in order to communicate with bitcoind service. In my case, I would like to run c-lightning in its independent docker container and it would be nice if c-lightning works only with its own files and libraries. Is there any way to use c-lightning without providing bitcoin-cli?
There are docker provided, but with `bitcoin[d/cli]` integrated.

LND, for example, is able to communicate with bitcoind through a tcpip port without using any bitcoind files. Can c-lightning do the same somehow?
Not for now, but that might change in the near future.

The second question
I want to use c-lightning nodes only for receiving funds, in my case a c-lightning node is not going to send any bitcoin, only receive it. I know that lightningd service gathers and processes the graph information from the network. This process consumes lots of memory and CPU resources, but I don't think it’s necessary in my case, because this information is required only for sending bitcoin not receiving it. May I switch the lightningd to the mode, when it will just maintain the only channel it has and provide invoices/wait for incoming transaction without downloading and processing extra network information?
This cost has been drastically reduced in the last release, however if you want 0 gossip you can still compile with `--enable-developer` and use the `dev-suppress-gossip` command.
Activity: 155
Merit: 67
December 01, 2019, 05:52:04 PM
Hi! I have a couple of question about c-lightning
The first question:
As far as I understood, c-lightning wants to run bitcoin-cli executable in order to communicate with bitcoind service. In my case, I would like to run c-lightning in its independent docker container and it would be nice if c-lightning works only with its own files and libraries. Is there any way to use c-lightning without providing bitcoin-cli?
LND, for example, is able to communicate with bitcoind through a tcpip port without using any bitcoind files. Can c-lightning do the same somehow?

The second question
I want to use c-lightning nodes only for receiving funds, in my case a c-lightning node is not going to send any bitcoin, only receive it. I know that lightningd service gathers and processes the graph information from the network. This process consumes lots of memory and CPU resources, but I don't think it’s necessary in my case, because this information is required only for sending bitcoin not receiving it. May I switch the lightningd to the mode, when it will just maintain the only channel it has and provide invoices/wait for incoming transaction without downloading and processing extra network information?
Pages:
Jump to: