Author

Topic: UEFA Champions League Discussion Thread - page 1085. (Read 129790 times)

legendary
Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824
September 22, 2019, 07:55:01 AM
To be honest, i am not sure that they can repeat this performance, what we saw the other  night was  maybe best Dinamo game in many years.
The Champions League takes so much energy from the teams. They often don't realize it until the next match comes in the domestic competition.
Dinamo lost yesterday against an opponent they are unlikely to lose against in normal conditions. That is often the case with teams following a strong CL performance, they get mentally and physically tired and aren't able to perform at the levels expected by them.

I watched the Juve-Verona match yesterday and Juventus struggled immensely. They had no control in the middle of the pitch and almost messed up in the last couple of minutes where they could have conceded a goal for 2:2.

In fact, Bjelica, the Dinamo coach, rested most of the players who played against Atalanta and gave other players a chance to play.
It could be said that it was actually Dinamo's second team and the coach obviously had a plan to rest the main players to continue competing in the Champions League.
The plan obviously only partially worked out because they lost the match.
It will not be easy for Dinamo to fight in parallel on 2 fronts.
Activity: 980
Merit: 62
September 22, 2019, 03:17:37 AM
To be honest, i am not sure that they can repeat this performance, what we saw the other  night was  maybe best Dinamo game in many years.
The Champions League takes so much energy from the teams. They often don't realize it until the next match comes in the domestic competition.
Dinamo lost yesterday against an opponent they are unlikely to lose against in normal conditions. That is often the case with teams following a strong CL performance, they get mentally and physically tired and aren't able to perform at the levels expected by them.

I watched the Juve-Verona match yesterday and Juventus struggled immensely. They had no control in the middle of the pitch and almost messed up in the last couple of minutes where they could have conceded a goal for 2:2.

That's why big clubs need to do rotation, before or after the big Champions League games.
Juventus really struggled yesterday, and it is really bad to see that as we are in the start of the season. What would be the case when we reach April? I just wonder...
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
September 22, 2019, 03:02:15 AM

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 5937
September 21, 2019, 03:22:56 PM
Real Madrid should worry about their future. I Don't think on this season Madrid will won a single trophy with this kind of performance. Zidane should change his tactics because current tactics Isn't working.Also some injuries causing great harms to the sqaud.

Things like this that are worried by supporters of Real Madrid. Like it or not They will be without any title this season again, Real Madrid's decline is very drastic at this time. To be sure their core players (who are currently injured) greatly affect the overall game of Real Madrid.

And now they are already questioning Zidane, the coach that won the CL with them three times already. They have to admit that they were depending on CR7 more than they thought. After he left, Real is struggling really hard.

Ronaldo is not only problem or reason why Real have so many difficulties now and plays so poorly.
Even at the time Zidane first coached Real, and won the European Championship title three times, Real has never had a game system built, clear strategy and tactics, but relied on the individual quality of the players, which, often with much luck, passed in the Champions League but not in the Spanish Championship.
Now, they don't have Ronaldo any more, didn't get new stars like Pogba or Neymar, and some playsers like Marcelo, Ramos, Modric etc. are to old and can't play at a high level in continuity any longer.

+1

Real Madrid needs complete revamp of the team, what they did this year won't be enough. It will take them few years probably to be CL contenders, but sooner they start doing it, sooner they get some results. But all this was kinda expected, C.Ronaldo ended one era of Real Madrid. And i might add that I expected more from Hazard, but probably he just still need more time to adjust. Modric was also not good his first season in Real, remember some even saying signing him was a mistake. Hazard is class player, so i think he will overcome this, and start working more on physical aspect, he is kinda out of shape.

Most likely same will happen to Barcelona when Messi retires/leaves, that's how it goes.

The point of everything you say is that Real Madrid has not been optimal during this season. They lost the game like 2-3 the previous season. Hazard and Ronaldo are different players, so far Hazard has not contributed much to Real Madrid. So Hazard cannot be compared to his role as Ronaldo.

Not just that, Ronaldo has always been the perfect example of an absolutely ready football player, completely focused on football and winning.
Hazard came to Real completely unprepared and gained a few pounds over the summer, which shows me that his level of seriousness and focus on football is much lower from the one Ronaldo shows.

C. Ronaldo is probably the biggest professional I've seen since i watch football. This guy lives football 24/7 and it shows, physically most dominant player ever.

I prefer Messi, but C.Ronaldo is an epitome of a football player, and you have to admire him for that.
Activity: 1274
Merit: 646
September 21, 2019, 02:36:39 PM
Not just that, Ronaldo has always been the perfect example of an absolutely ready football player, completely focused on football and winning.
I agree with you. Ronaldo Sometimes also motivates colleagues when they miss a goal or lose. And it really is very, very useful and influential for others, in order to get back on its feet. Sure enough, often an extraordinary comeback occurs when Ronaldo is in Real Madrid.
I think Real Madrid thought Christian Bale would of fill in the spot of a Ronaldo but alas nobody can fill that players shoes.
Bale did almost score a great goal but it was denied by referee unfortunately.

It's a bit off-topic but ... No they didn't? It was Zidane who said about Bale (quote): "We hope he leaves soon. It would be best for everyone." That's definitely not something you say to a player who should play an important role in the future. They were simply forced to integrate Bale back into the team because nobody wanted to sign Bale under the given conditions (relatively old player, high salary and high transfer sum Real was demanding).  
Activity: 791
Merit: 271
This is personal
September 21, 2019, 01:40:30 PM
I agree with you. Ronaldo Sometimes also motivates colleagues when they miss a goal or lose. And it really is very, very useful and influential for others, in order to get back on its feet. Sure enough, often an extraordinary comeback occurs when Ronaldo is in Real Madrid.
I think Real Madrid thought Christian Bale would of fill in the spot of a Ronaldo but alas nobody can fill that players shoes.
Bale did almost score a great goal but it was denied by referee unfortunately.
Activity: 714
Merit: 100
September 21, 2019, 01:19:42 PM

legendary
September 21, 2019, 08:57:46 AM
Real Madrid should worry about their future. I Don't think on this season Madrid will won a single trophy with this kind of performance. Zidane should change his tactics because current tactics Isn't working.Also some injuries causing great harms to the sqaud.

Things like this that are worried by supporters of Real Madrid. Like it or not They will be without any title this season again, Real Madrid's decline is very drastic at this time. To be sure their core players (who are currently injured) greatly affect the overall game of Real Madrid.

And now they are already questioning Zidane, the coach that won the CL with them three times already. They have to admit that they were depending on CR7 more than they thought. After he left, Real is struggling really hard.

Ronaldo is not only problem or reason why Real have so many difficulties now and plays so poorly.
Even at the time Zidane first coached Real, and won the European Championship title three times, Real has never had a game system built, clear strategy and tactics, but relied on the individual quality of the players, which, often with much luck, passed in the Champions League but not in the Spanish Championship.
Now, they don't have Ronaldo any more, didn't get new stars like Pogba or Neymar, and some playsers like Marcelo, Ramos, Modric etc. are to old and can't play at a high level in continuity any longer.

+1

Real Madrid needs complete revamp of the team, what they did this year won't be enough. It will take them few years probably to be CL contenders, but sooner they start doing it, sooner they get some results. But all this was kinda expected, C.Ronaldo ended one era of Real Madrid. And i might add that I expected more from Hazard, but probably he just still need more time to adjust. Modric was also not good his first season in Real, remember some even saying signing him was a mistake. Hazard is class player, so i think he will overcome this, and start working more on physical aspect, he is kinda out of shape.

Most likely same will happen to Barcelona when Messi retires/leaves, that's how it goes.

The point of everything you say is that Real Madrid has not been optimal during this season. They lost the game like 2-3 the previous season. Hazard and Ronaldo are different players, so far Hazard has not contributed much to Real Madrid. So Hazard cannot be compared to his role as Ronaldo.

Hazard came to Real completely unprepared and gained a few pounds over the summer, which shows me that his level of seriousness and focus on football is much lower from the one Ronaldo shows.
Pab
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1012
September 21, 2019, 08:45:46 AM
Not first time Real is losing xxx goals playing without Ramos
Real urgently needs class central defender.What will be with Real if Ramos will be injured
Despite Ramos absence Real play is not so optimistic.Same old players .Hazard is not enough to improve  Real play
legendary
September 21, 2019, 04:28:43 AM
I've been going to Dinamo Zagreb games since 1992, and more than once i had high hopes, but somehow they managed to mess it up each year, with 2 exceptions, in the late 90s and last year.

That being said, this Dinamo Zagreb really looks confident, more mature and a team with a plan. Dinamo always had very talented players, but this year  they managed to keep all their best players except Sunjic who they sold way to cheap (imho he was 2nd or 3rd most important Dinamo player). I didn't say that they cant be 2nd, of course they can, but personally i think it would be very hard and for me 3rd spot would be good too. Atalanta played awful game and Dinamo was brilliant, but Dinamo can also play like crap, and i simply don't want to be caught in euphoria after only 1 round.
Experience and traditionally a winning mentality goes a long way in the Champions League. I don't know how far Dinamo can go, if they can advance from the Group stage. I remember a few years ago when they were in the same group as Juventus they didn't win a single point. Can't remember if they scored more than a few goals.

From a realistic point of view do you think they have what it takes to to repeat the performance against Atalanta?

Dinamo had some good performances against strong opponents in the past like 0:0 against Man Utd @Old Trafford in 1999 ( strongest ManUtd ever, they won CL previous season), 2  CL wins in 1998 (against Porto and Ajax), that 2:1 win against Arsenal few years ago, but i think they never  dominated like against Atalanta.

It is right what you said about winning mentality, and Dinamo certainly  lacked that, despite domination in  national championship, but they might got back on the track previous season, when they managed to go through next round in Europe, first time in almost  50 years or so. That obviously gave them confidence boost.

For Dinamo to finish 2nd, beside them keep playing good, it is also needed that Man City  keep beating Shakhtar and Atalanta, taking all points from them. But as i said before, i don't want to jump on hype train after 1st round, too many games left and i know that things can get complicated very fast.

legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
September 21, 2019, 03:51:17 AM
I've been going to Dinamo Zagreb games since 1992, and more than once i had high hopes, but somehow they managed to mess it up each year, with 2 exceptions, in the late 90s and last year.

That being said, this Dinamo Zagreb really looks confident, more mature and a team with a plan. Dinamo always had very talented players, but this year  they managed to keep all their best players except Sunjic who they sold way to cheap (imho he was 2nd or 3rd most important Dinamo player). I didn't say that they cant be 2nd, of course they can, but personally i think it would be very hard and for me 3rd spot would be good too. Atalanta played awful game and Dinamo was brilliant, but Dinamo can also play like crap, and i simply don't want to be caught in euphoria after only 1 round.
Experience and traditionally a winning mentality goes a long way in the Champions League. I don't know how far Dinamo can go, if they can advance from the Group stage. I remember a few years ago when they were in the same group as Juventus they didn't win a single point. Can't remember if they scored more than a few goals.

From a realistic point of view do you think they have what it takes to to repeat the performance against Atalanta?
Activity: 1372
Merit: 512
September 21, 2019, 02:46:14 AM
Real Madrid should worry about their future. I Don't think on this season Madrid will won a single trophy with this kind of performance. Zidane should change his tactics because current tactics Isn't working.Also some injuries causing great harms to the sqaud. PSG without Mbappe and Neymar scored 3 Against Real. Di Maria was superb on the pitch, scored a brace.

Real Madrid is a lost cause at this point and Zidane coming back was a huge mistake! Barcelona will keep breaking records will real Madrid keeps looking for a winning formula and their closest rivals (Athletico Madrid) too seem to be failing to find their feet thanks to football transfers that make or break a team....

Rumor has it that Jose might be returning for one last show but I think his time is up with Real and try something else.

The fall of Real started last season against Ajax. They just keep relying on the older players and they just Ronaldo too much. He was even more important for the team then expected.
Activity: 893
Merit: 43
Random coins :)
September 20, 2019, 07:57:50 PM
Real Madrid should worry about their future. I Don't think on this season Madrid will won a single trophy with this kind of performance. Zidane should change his tactics because current tactics Isn't working.Also some injuries causing great harms to the sqaud. PSG without Mbappe and Neymar scored 3 Against Real. Di Maria was superb on the pitch, scored a brace.

Real Madrid is a lost cause at this point and Zidane coming back was a huge mistake! Barcelona will keep breaking records will real Madrid keeps looking for a winning formula and their closest rivals (Athletico Madrid) too seem to be failing to find their feet thanks to football transfers that make or break a team....

Rumor has it that Jose might be returning for one last show but I think his time is up with Real and try something else.

Activity: 514
Merit: 100
September 20, 2019, 06:34:30 PM

+1

legendary
September 20, 2019, 04:39:00 PM

+1

Activity: 1274
Merit: 646
September 20, 2019, 02:44:08 PM

Yes, I know what you mean. Also Kroos isn't as good anymore as he used to be. Then all the drama about Bale: Zidane said in public that he should find a new club but in the end no one was willing to pay his immense salary so he had to stay. But nevertheless, players like Vinícius Júnior, Rodrygo, Jovic and especially Hazard are perfect to build a strong team around. This might take some time.
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1363
www.gosubetting.com
September 20, 2019, 02:43:08 PM

Despite the loss suffered by Real will qualify to the second round because it has special players I think the reason for their collapse against Paris is the absence of Ramos and Marcelo.As for Zidane, he knows very well the roles he will play in the future,  We will follow together what will happen in the future.

speaking of qualifying for the next round, Surely Real Madrid is very Favorited to qualify for the 16 major champions league. Zidane already knew what he had to do in the future. If Zidane and Real Madrid can rise again, I think they can later become Group Champion. Because Runner up and Champion Group will be very influential on their opponents in the last 16 later.

What? Honestly, I cant follow your argumentation, actually I dont even understand what you mean or if I do, this post doesnt make sense at all...
Activity: 966
Merit: 111
September 20, 2019, 02:24:25 PM

Despite the loss suffered by Real will qualify to the second round because it has special players I think the reason for their collapse against Paris is the absence of Ramos and Marcelo.As for Zidane, he knows very well the roles he will play in the future,  We will follow together what will happen in the future.

speaking of qualifying for the next round, Surely Real Madrid is very Favorited to qualify for the 16 major champions league. Zidane already knew what he had to do in the future. If Zidane and Real Madrid can rise again, I think they can later become Group Champion. Because Runner up and Champion Group will be very influential on their opponents in the last 16 later.
legendary
September 20, 2019, 02:09:55 PM
Regarding Dinamo Zagreb being 2nd in the group, while being possible, i don't think that it will happen. They have good chance for being 3rd though and continuing in Europa league. That would also be a very good result.

But maybe i'm just too cautious  as i got used to disappointments when it comes to Dinamo Zagreb and Euro games, i would say that this generation is even better than the one in the late 90s with Viduka, Prosinecki, Cvitanovic..

Why not Dinamo Zagreb can be second in the group? Obviously City is without a doubt the first place favorite, but Atalanta is joke team, they play worst football you can see in CL, and City is win over Shakhtar without any problems, as it is a light training, and not a CL game.

Dinamo can beat Shakhtar in home game, and take at least one point in away game, probably also play a draw in Bergamo. With 8 points second place is pretty realistic, but first they need to play with MC in Manchester, this will be good test for them.

It's all true what you said but before Dinamo did not have the game system and stability as it has now.
This time the result comes from the compactness of the whole team and clear strategies and that is why I think we will see more great results this time from Dinamo.
legendary
September 20, 2019, 02:01:02 PM

Jump to: