Pages:
Author

Topic: USB ASIC ERUPTER - Setup & Config. BCG Miner, cgminer & Hubs "Oh Pi"! - page 5. (Read 156864 times)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0
os2sam

It is a Anker Uspeed usb 3.0 10-Port Hub with 12V 4A Power Adapter.

what do you mean by daisy chain them

Thankyou.
legendary
Activity: 3578
Merit: 1091
Think for yourself
Thanks for such a good thread and informative posts!

I'm getting the gear together while waiting for 10 Erupters to arrive, and have a very noob question. I've looked around but can't find an answer.

I'm not sure how the miners work so don't know whether there is any advantage of using USB3.0 vs UCB2.0 hubs. (for running 10 Erupters of a USB hub or two). I'm guessing no, but to be sure...

No there is no advantage to USB 3.0 vs 2.0.  These are USB 1.1 devices.

If you plan on using CGMiner DO NOT get USB 3.0 hubs as that support is still in development.

What you need to pay attention to is the Power Supply of the USB Hub.  People have been using the Anker 10 Port USB 3.0 hubs because they have a 4 Amp power supply so they can put 8 Block Erupters per Hub.  I am using 7/5 Port Rosewill USB 2.0 Hubs which have a 2 Amp Power Supply so I can put 4 Block Erupters per Hub.  Each Block Erupter draws .5 Amp.

So unless you modify a Hub you cannot put 10 devices on a 10 Port Hub, not safely/reliably anyway.

I have (2) Anker 10 port 3.0 usb hubs. I am going to put 8 usb erupters on each hub.
I have a Lenovo H520S that I bought from Newegg. Can I only put (2) 10 port 3.0 usb hubs on one computer.

Thankyou.

I'm assuming that is a question.  You can put more than two hubs on a computer.  You can daisy chain them.

Also it appears my previous statement that you quoted may be incorrect.  Eleuthria states that an Anker 10 Port Hub has a 12 Volt 4 Amp power supply so you can put Erupters on all 10 Ports.  I was assuming that it had a 5 Volt 4 Amp power supply as USB Hubs usually have 5 Volt Power Supplies.  I still don't know first hand since I don't have one but I trust Eleuthria.
Sam
Activity: 15
Thanks for such a good thread and informative posts!

I'm getting the gear together while waiting for 10 Erupters to arrive, and have a very noob question. I've looked around but can't find an answer.

I'm not sure how the miners work so don't know whether there is any advantage of using USB3.0 vs UCB2.0 hubs. (for running 10 Erupters of a USB hub or two). I'm guessing no, but to be sure...

No there is no advantage to USB 3.0 vs 2.0.  These are USB 1.1 devices.

If you plan on using CGMiner DO NOT get USB 3.0 hubs as that support is still in development.

What you need to pay attention to is the Power Supply of the USB Hub.  People have been using the Anker 10 Port USB 3.0 hubs because they have a 4 Amp power supply so they can put 8 Block Erupters per Hub.  I am using 7/5 Port Rosewill USB 2.0 Hubs which have a 2 Amp Power Supply so I can put 4 Block Erupters per Hub.  Each Block Erupter draws .5 Amp.

So unless you modify a Hub you cannot put 10 devices on a 10 Port Hub, not safely/reliably anyway.

I have (2) Anker 10 port 3.0 usb hubs. I am going to put 8 usb erupters on each hub.
I have a Lenovo H520S that I bought from Newegg. Can I only put (2) 10 port 3.0 usb hubs on one computer.

Thankyou.
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Medical Translations for Bitcoins
well.. picture says it all Smiley

Got my Pi today, installed Minepeon, it works.

Now I will try to configure my wifi.

More block erupters and a fan are arriving next week.

edit: well, wifi setup was quite easy with this guide https://forums.butterflylabs.com/showwiki.php?title=Tutorials:Raspberry+Pi+-+Mining+with+MinePeon&viewfull=1&page=4&do=comments#post38317
Activity: 630
Merit: 501
Miner Setup And Reviews. WASP Rep.
Hi could someone please measure the distance between the ports on the dlink 7 port hub. MM would be amazing. THANKS.

11mm from top to top, 6 from bottom to top.
Thank for measuring it
Why buy the Dlink when you can buy the rosewill "7" port for $15AR? I linked it above, and it seems to be running 5 erupters perfectly.

There's a 20% off code on it today too! Damn, that's pretty cheap.
Yeah I plan to use a pi with it
Activity: 44
Why buy the Dlink when you can buy the rosewill "7" port for $15AR? I linked it above, and it seems to be running 5 erupters perfectly.

The Pi has some limitations on what works well with it, I don't see that one on the Confirmed working" list.
http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#Powered_USB_Hubs
Activity: 59

Activity: 44
Hi could someone please measure the distance between the ports on the dlink 7 port hub. MM would be amazing. THANKS.

11mm from top to top, 6 from bottom to top.
Activity: 35
FYI the D-Link DUB-H7s have only been able to run 6 Erupters each for me.
Activity: 1316
Merit: 253
Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting
I done the same - read lots of conflicting instructions on the threads got confused scratch my head for an hour and then read the read me file - bam, all working in 5 mins

Grin

P.S I brought one of those cheap USB fans on ebay, as soon as its plugged in all my usb`s disconnect ( including HD ) Lmao. Its now plugged into a usb phone plug. Hoping it wont catch fire  Shocked
legendary
Think for yourself
So I got my first erupters today and spent about 2 hours trying to take the advice in a bunch of threads about settings them up with cgminer. Silly me tried to set them up with the latest version of cgminer 3.3.1. Since the -S command was removed a few versions ago it seems like you are now supposed to get a perfect install of the drivers and then it magically detects the USB devices on start up. But this didn't work for me, and others in some threads had problems with this too.

So I followed this guide http://rdmsnippets.com/tag/install-block-erupter-on-windows-7/ to the letter and used the older 3.1.1 and it worked more or less perfectly.

Not sure how support for the USB miners will progress with new versions of cgminer. I suppose its best to just leave it alone since it works.

Also I used the D-Link DUB-H7 hub and it works flawlessly. Running of my netbook (~13 watts) which runs 24/7 anyway, seems like a good host.

Unless you have USB 3.0 hubs, you should have just followed the simple paragraph in the ASIC readme file and installed the WinUSB driver with Zadig and associate your USB Erupter with the WinUSB driver.

I did that and had my Erupters running in minutes and has been running flawlessly since with no command line arguments besides --usb ICA:3 since I'm running three instances of CGMiner with 3 Erupters per pool.

Much simpler than mapping all of those serial ports and putting each port/miner in the command line.
Sam

ASIC-README.txt in version 3.1.1 only refers to BFL and Avalon devices. I had a look in it but figured it was not relevant at the time.

The ASIC Readme in 3.3.1, you know the version you had trouble with because you didn't read the ASIC Readme nor the regular readme.

Why read the ASIC Readme in the version you got working with the old command line arguments that you seem to be already familiar with?
Activity: 546
So I got my first erupters today and spent about 2 hours trying to take the advice in a bunch of threads about settings them up with cgminer. Silly me tried to set them up with the latest version of cgminer 3.3.1. Since the -S command was removed a few versions ago it seems like you are now supposed to get a perfect install of the drivers and then it magically detects the USB devices on start up. But this didn't work for me, and others in some threads had problems with this too.

So I followed this guide http://rdmsnippets.com/tag/install-block-erupter-on-windows-7/ to the letter and used the older 3.1.1 and it worked more or less perfectly.

Not sure how support for the USB miners will progress with new versions of cgminer. I suppose its best to just leave it alone since it works.

Also I used the D-Link DUB-H7 hub and it works flawlessly. Running of my netbook (~13 watts) which runs 24/7 anyway, seems like a good host.

Unless you have USB 3.0 hubs, you should have just followed the simple paragraph in the ASIC readme file and installed the WinUSB driver with Zadig and associate your USB Erupter with the WinUSB driver.

I did that and had my Erupters running in minutes and has been running flawlessly since with no command line arguments besides --usb ICA:3 since I'm running three instances of CGMiner with 3 Erupters per pool.

Much simpler than mapping all of those serial ports and putting each port/miner in the command line.
Sam

ASIC-README.txt in version 3.1.1 only refers to BFL and Avalon devices. I had a look in it but figured it was not relevant at the time.
legendary
Think for yourself

Sam
Activity: 546

My 11 arrived this morning and all is good.
The only problem am having is displaying more than 9 in cgminer, i can tell there all there just not all in the first list.
Do i need to add something to the config file?

(windows 7)

EDIT : SOLVED a couple of restarts of cgminer done the trick

Not so solved,

when starting cgminer 5 or 6 are recognized almost immediately, the rest come in a few seconds later but the last few more often than not are not listed  Huh

anyone else have this problem ?
Hotplugged ones on windows stopped enlarging the window in the last version of cgminer because the interface library "pdcurses" used on windows crashes randomly when we do this so it's safer to not try to show any hotplugged devices until we can find some meaningful workaround. Linux doesn't have this issue.

thanks for the explanation, I can live with it as is, until I get my PI running....
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
My 11 arrived this morning and all is good.
The only problem am having is displaying more than 9 in cgminer, i can tell there all there just not all in the first list.
Do i need to add something to the config file?

(windows 7)

EDIT : SOLVED a couple of restarts of cgminer done the trick

Not so solved,

when starting cgminer 5 or 6 are recognized almost immediately, the rest come in a few seconds later but the last few more often than not are not listed  Huh

anyone else have this problem ?
Hotplugged ones on windows stopped enlarging the window in the last version of cgminer because the interface library "pdcurses" used on windows crashes randomly when we do this so it's safer to not try to show any hotplugged devices until we can find some meaningful workaround. Linux doesn't have this issue.

is the fan needed for the asicminers?

Not at all, but it's nice to have.  I think the heatsinks do a lot more to cool the chips down

Mine were really hot, I put a desk fan on them (low speed) and now there cool as cucumbers. I think it really helped but is a bit of an overkill till my new fan arrives.
Activity: 52

is the fan needed for the asicminers?

Not at all, but it's nice to have.  I think the heatsinks do a lot more to cool the chips down
Pages:
Jump to: