Pages:
Author

Topic: USB ASIC ERUPTER - Setup & Config. BCG Miner, cgminer & Hubs "Oh Pi"! - page 7. (Read 156864 times)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Avoid daisy chaining the hubs together, otherwise a number of the erupters may not be recognized or may intermittently not mine.

Have you actually verified this?

I had asked this question just a few posts ago but didn't get an answer.

I plan on daisy chaining 3 Rosewill hubs for use with 12 Erupters and one Jalapeno.  Will that cause a problem?
Thanks,
Sam

I have. It is a reproducible problem with my DLinks, and with a 'plugable' brand 7 port powered hub.

Daisy chain = 2-3 devices not running on each side of the chain.

Why? Who knows. Simple to fix though.

Well I'll see what happens with my setup.  I'll have the ports on my Win7 Mining rig to go straight to the Hubs or I can chain them.  I'll give it a whirl both ways.

Thanks for your input,
Sam

It may be a 'Pi' specific thing. I had the erupters in two 10 port ankler hubs on my Win7 box too and of course that worked fine.

But it's more fun running them from the Pi  Wink
legendary
Activity: 3578
Merit: 1091
Think for yourself
Avoid daisy chaining the hubs together, otherwise a number of the erupters may not be recognized or may intermittently not mine.

I plan on daisy chaining 3 Rosewill hubs for use with 12 Erupters and one Jalapeno.  Will that cause a problem?
Thanks,
Sam

I have. It is a reproducible problem with my DLinks, and with a 'plugable' brand 7 port powered hub.

Well I'll see what happens with my setup.  I'll have the ports on my Win7 Mining rig to go straight to the Hubs or I can chain them.  I'll give it a whirl both ways.

Thanks for your input,
Sam

Thanks,
Sam

legendary
Think for yourself

Thanks,
Sam
Activity: 894
Merit: 501
thanks guys, I'll go for the 2 d-links. I had actually come to that conclusion and am happy to check back here to see it's right    Cool
Thanks for such a good thread and informative posts!

I'm getting the gear together while waiting for 10 Erupters to arrive, and have a very noob question. I've looked around but can't find an answer.

I'm not sure how the miners work so don't know whether there is any advantage of using USB3.0 vs UCB2.0 hubs. (for running 10 Erupters of a USB hub or two). I'm guessing no, but to be sure...

Get 2 DLink 7 port USB hubs. Each will reliably run 6 erupters. Avoid daisy chaining the hubs together, otherwise a number of the erupters may not be recognized or may intermittently not mine. You can directly connect each hub to one of the two USB ports on the Pi.

I have 18 erupters on one Pi, using 3 DLink hubs, and a passive USB hub to connect all 3 hubs to one USB port on the Pi. Running MinePeon. System is stable and mines great.
legendary
Think for yourself

I'm getting the gear together while waiting for 10 Erupters to arrive, and have a very noob question. I've looked around but can't find an answer.

I'm not sure how the miners work so don't know whether there is any advantage of using USB3.0 vs UCB2.0 hubs. (for running 10 Erupters of a USB hub or two). I'm guessing no, but to be sure...

No there is no advantage to USB 3.0 vs 2.0.  These are USB 1.1 devices.

If you plan on using CGMiner DO NOT get USB 3.0 hubs as that support is still in development.

What you need to pay attention to is the Power Supply of the USB Hub.  People have been using the Anker 10 Port USB 3.0 hubs because they have a 4 Amp power supply so they can put 8 Block Erupters per Hub.  I am using 7/5 Port Rosewill USB 2.0 Hubs which have a 2 Amp Power Supply so I can put 4 Block Erupters per Hub.  Each Block Erupter draws .5 Amp.

So unless you modify a Hub you cannot put 10 devices on a 10 Port Hub, not safely/reliably anyway.
Activity: 894
Merit: 501

Activity: 39
Merit: 0
I am willing to give minepeon a try, can you please point me to download and build instructions.

Grab the latest off the wiki (http://minepeon.com/index.php/Main_Page) there are also instructions how to use it there.

Neil

Thanks, I will give a try on my 2nd RPI!
[…]I have always been curious as to why MinePeon does not appear to be affected.

Perhaps something Arch Linux has over Raspbian?

I had to roll back to cgminer 3.1.1 to get multiple eruptors playing nice.

fwiw - I plan on trying MinePeon asap - nice work.

Just rolled back to 3.1.1 and voila and it works Smiley
Thanks!
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
I am willing to give minepeon a try, can you please point me to download and build instructions.

Grab the latest off the wiki (http://minepeon.com/index.php/Main_Page) there are also instructions how to use it there.

Neil
legendary

No idea, that is what I would like to confirm.

Thanks, I have a adafruit LCD shield on the way and plan on trying your project Tongue .

Neil
Wondering if anyone else has seen this problem and if it might be due to version 3.3.0, since there are posts in this thread of folks running multiple usb erupters with a raspberry pi.

It can be done, here is another screenshot for you;-

http://mineforeman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/NewStats.png

That's 1 x BFL Jalapeño (VERY old version) running alongside 9 Block Eruptors.  I have heard that there has been stability problems with the AMU driver (even the cgminer authors say that there might be) but I have always been curious as to why MinePeon does not appear to be affected.

Is there any chance I could convince you to download MinePeon and see if it makes a difference?

Neil

Thanks for the response. Yes I believe you... I even tried cgminer-3.2.1 as shown in screen shot of earlier post by whonesta, but I get same issue... 2-3 shares accepted, all leds light, wait 60 secs and then attempting restart... and cycle continues.

Thanks.

Just got 5 erupters from group buy and would really like to get them all working together on the R PI. Smiley
Activity: 140
[…]I have always been curious as to why MinePeon does not appear to be affected.

I had to roll back to cgminer 3.1.1 to get multiple eruptors playing nice.

legendary
Wondering if anyone else has seen this problem and if it might be due to version 3.3.0, since there are posts in this thread of folks running multiple usb erupters with a raspberry pi.

It can be done, here is another screenshot for you;-

That's 1 x BFL Jalapeño (VERY old version) running alongside 9 Block Eruptors.  I have heard that there has been stability problems with the AMU driver (even the cgminer authors say that there might be) but I have always been curious as to why MinePeon does not appear to be affected.

Is there any chance I could convince you to download MinePeon and see if it makes a difference?

Neil
I have been running cgminer version 3.3.0 on a raspberry pi/D-link 7port HUB with a single usb erupter for days without any problems.

However, when I put more than one usb erupter into the hub I can barely get one or two shares before all the leds light up on all erupters and they stop hashing.

Thanks.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
legendary
Think for yourself
Where do you get those little heat sinks?

Now that I'm ready to get some I can't find a link to order them from.
Thanks,
Sam
Pages:
Jump to: