Pages:
Author

Topic: Vertcoin - 1 | ASIC - 0 | Lyra2RE | Decentralised | GPU Mineable | Open Source - page 71. (Read 415431 times)

legendary
Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051
ICO? Not even once.
It's got a cost - and the cost is higher the less skilled the bot herder is... which it's common for them to be idiots. Executables need developing, then crypting on every change, either the zombie systems must be bought, or an exploit must be found and automated to create/expand the botnet... Also, even if you turn the miner's CPU usage down when someone's on the system, it's possible for them to notice lag. Happy bots stay bots - if the user's experience is harmed too much, then they will reinstall or get the help of someone who can. Another reason GPU mining on bots isn't wisely done... not if you want to continue having a botnet, that is.

I get that and I don't pretend to know much about botnets, but if someone is (was) earning 15 BTC per day I'd imagine they weren't exactly incompetent. 
legendary
ICO? Not even once.
Yeah but GPUs are different, you've seen here how difficult it can be to get them mining smoothly on the array of different configurations. Imagine trying to write some malware which does that. Second, most people who own expensive enough GPUs for mining will probably notice that their computer is infected since they'll be unable to play games.

That argument flies out of the window once you earn 15 BTC per day for weeks if not months. You can easily deploy a small army of pretty decent coders for that kind of money to overcome any of the difficulties you have mentioned.
Yeah but GPUs are different, you've seen here how difficult it can be to get them mining smoothly on the array of different configurations. Imagine trying to write some malware which does that. Second, most people who own expensive enough GPUs for mining will probably notice that their computer is infected since they'll be unable to play games.

That argument flies out of the window once you earn 15 BTC per day for weeks if not months. You can easily deploy a small army of pretty decent coders for that kind of money to overcome any of the difficulties you have mentioned.
botnet are still illegal (with jail time if convicted I think) and a small army of coder keeping it quite for long... this will never happen.
Also it is highly unpractical to set up a malware for a large variety of software, gpu's etc...

targetting cpu is a lot easier, most of them belongs to non IT personal who won't even notice they are mining.
High end gpu, becomes noisy are owned by people more experience with computer and they will notice something wrong and will probably reinstall everything getting rid of the malware. It isn't a good solution in itself.
botnet are targetting your grandparents computers not ours... for a good reason... not limited to the password in 4 letters  Grin

That's beside the point I feel. Illegality I feel is irrelevant because I'd imagine botnet masters would have the common sense of hiding behind proxies. Also, obviously we won't get infected but plenty of corporate computers and personal computers belonging to computer-illiterates (grandmas) will. Obviously the number of infected computers decreases over time as more and more people realize there's something wrong and reinstall the whole thing or delete it with an antivir - if it's finding it that is.

I see your point but I think that huge botnets can control so many CPUs that they can effectively compete with GPUs when it comes to the net hashrate of a coin because at the end of the day botnet CPU mining cost nothing.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050

botnet are still illegal (with jail time if convicted I think) and a small army of coder keeping it quite for long... this will never happen.
Also it is highly unpractical to set up a malware for a large variety of software, gpu's etc...

targetting cpu is a lot easier, most of them belongs to non IT personal who won't even notice they are mining.
High end gpu, becomes noisy are owned by people more experience with computer and they will notice something wrong and will probably reinstall everything getting rid of the malware. It isn't a good solution in itself.
botnet are targetting your grandparents computers not ours... for a good reason... not limited to the password in 4 letters  Grin
legendary
ICO? Not even once.

Activity: 908
Merit: 503
I changed back to I=19 and worksize=64 but removed --difficulty-multiplier, guess what, hashrate on verters went from 7MH/rig to 40MH... so..wtf ? this has to be a bug but I have no idea what is the real hashrate the pool is getting from my rigs. Actual miner hashrate is 16-17MH/rig. Gonna need to test 24hour periods to see if there's any actual change or not. What do you guys trust ? Pool hashrates of sgminer WU ?
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
Vertcoin changed algo AGAIN ? Smiley

Because of ipominer's botnet (well not their botnet, but they seem to work hand in hand with them), and the fact that cpumining was effectively as efficient as GPU mining. The new adjusted algo favours GPUs quite considerably.

It's nice the VTC team is at least trying and it worked for now (https://www.ipominer.com/stats?curr=vtc) but I don't think it will do long term. The botnet is probably already on a private pool, if not, it will be soon.
ipominer is the private pool of the botnet...  (just need to read the lame excuses he gave, he even most likely the operator of the botnet;D)
and it doesn't matter anymore because gpu/cpu ratio is much more favorable to the gpu... even if he comes back, it won't be raping the coin like he did...

I know, I was the one bringing attention to it. But botnets this size can easily mine GPU coins as well for great profit.

Activity: 392
Merit: 250
OK, here's something very weird, I hope someone can explain if its a pool frontend bug or something with the miner.

Using I=17 worksize=32 WU=15/card
Using I=19 worksize=64 WU=16-17/card and 5% increased hashrate in the miner itself

but when I go to both verters and givemecoins, the first setting show double the hashrate, so the I=19 setting give half the hashrates on the pool website, while it is doing more hashes and WU in the miner. What is this ? Right now verters show 1/4 of the hash with the faster setting. Can someone replicate this please?

All of the cards r9 280x, win7 x64 15.7.1 catalyst, I=19 worksize=128 give the highest hash but not worth it, also a bit unstable (4500kh vs 4470 at worksize=64)

Does p2pool give the same behavior?
legendary
ICO? Not even once.

Because of ipominer's botnet (well not their botnet, but they seem to work hand in hand with them), and the fact that cpumining was effectively as efficient as GPU mining. The new adjusted algo favours GPUs quite considerably.

It's nice the VTC team is at least trying and it worked for now (https://www.ipominer.com/stats?curr=vtc) but I don't think it will do long term. The botnet is probably already on a private pool, if not, it will be soon.
ipominer is the private pool of the botnet...  (just need to read the lame excuses he gave, he even most likely the operator of the botnet;D)
and it doesn't matter anymore because gpu/cpu ratio is much more favorable to the gpu... even if he comes back, it won't be raping the coin like he did...

I know, I was the one bringing attention to it. But botnets this size can easily mine GPU coins as well for great profit.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050

ipominer is the private pool of the botnet...  (just need to read the lame excuses he gave, he even most likely the operator of the botnet;D)
legendary
ICO? Not even once.

Activity: 6
Merit: 0
Hi all,

I'm stuck getting sgminer to work with the new VTC algo, CPU miner works fine, and sgminer worked fine BEFORE the fork. Now I get a few hardware errors, and no shares whatsoever (not even stale). I've tried two pools (pool.verters.com and coinotron.com).

The hardware error I get is "Invalid Nonce". I've tried with different combinations of worksize and intensity, nothing seems to help.

I'm using 64bit Ubuntu 14.04, with the AMD 15.20 drivers. My graphics cards are a pair of R9 270.

Any thoughts on what could be going wrong? I've looked through previous posts but none of the potential solutions worked.

Thanks

Pitcairn is affected by the same issue with newer drivers - older ones should work.

How do you install multiple copies of the driver, or are you suggesting I should just permanently downgrade to 14? (Which version precisely works?)

I believe 14.4/14.6/14.7 all should be fine - as for multiple copies... don't fuck with the libs unless you've got an exellent handle on how they work - downgrading is better.

Thanks, silly question - where can I download those versions? AMD website only has 14.12 and 15.*

I have packages for my distro - I don't use Ubuntu at all.

Ok, I tried clearing the .bin files and re-running with 14.5 installed - same error, any other thoughts?

I clearly say "14.4/14.6/14.7" - and you upgrade to 14.5 -.-

Ugh, feeling pretty stupid - its the only one I happened to have a copy of on my machine Sad
Activity: 21
Okay... updated to 14.4... rather, downgraded to 14.4 and changed some settings with .conf and now it works.
Yes, I had the same luck as you. It seems for Windows machines that 14.4 drivers work.
Activity: 32
Okay... updated to 14.4... rather, downgraded to 14.4 and changed some settings with .conf and now it works.
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
Devs were pretty active the past couple months...is everything still going smoothly?  What happened with China?
Activity: 6
Hi all,

I'm stuck getting sgminer to work with the new VTC algo, CPU miner works fine, and sgminer worked fine BEFORE the fork. Now I get a few hardware errors, and no shares whatsoever (not even stale). I've tried two pools (pool.verters.com and coinotron.com).

The hardware error I get is "Invalid Nonce". I've tried with different combinations of worksize and intensity, nothing seems to help.

I'm using 64bit Ubuntu 14.04, with the AMD 15.20 drivers. My graphics cards are a pair of R9 270.

Any thoughts on what could be going wrong? I've looked through previous posts but none of the potential solutions worked.

Thanks

Pitcairn is affected by the same issue with newer drivers - older ones should work.

How do you install multiple copies of the driver, or are you suggesting I should just permanently downgrade to 14? (Which version precisely works?)

I believe 14.4/14.6/14.7 all should be fine - as for multiple copies... don't fuck with the libs unless you've got an exellent handle on how they work - downgrading is better.

Thanks, silly question - where can I download those versions? AMD website only has 14.12 and 15.*

I have packages for my distro - I don't use Ubuntu at all.

Ok, I tried clearing the .bin files and re-running with 14.5 installed - same error, any other thoughts?
OK, here's something very weird, I hope someone can explain if its a pool frontend bug or something with the miner.

Using I=17 worksize=32 WU=15/card
Using I=19 worksize=64 WU=16-17/card and 5% increased hashrate in the miner itself

but when I go to both verters and givemecoins, the first setting show double the hashrate, so the I=19 setting give half the hashrates on the pool website, while it is doing more hashes and WU in the miner. What is this ? Right now verters show 1/4 of the hash with the faster setting. Can someone replicate this please?

All of the cards r9 280x, win7 x64 15.7.1 catalyst, I=19 worksize=128 give the highest hash but not worth it, also a bit unstable (4500kh vs 4470 at worksize=64)
anyone else having half of real hashrate on givemecoins pool? I have about 33-34MH total and the pool shows only 16MH in total for 2 workers.

what is the deal with pool priority? I have set 5pools, 0,1,2,3,4,5 but they are not in order, so if the order of entries are like 5,3,2,1 then thats the order they start at, not the pool prio value, any idea why ?
legendary
Activity: 1537
Merit: 1005
I am on both Wink
750ti seems to be fine, now getting 11-13Mhash on verters.
Will try 280x on other pools tomorrow.
legendary
Activity: 1537
Merit: 1005
Managed to run my 280x at 4,1 Mhash.

Pool reports way more than that though, between 6 and 8Mhash.
Anyone else got that too?

25MH/s overall in my test on Verters appears as 35MH/s with pretty high consistency.

Curious what could be the reason.
On the other hand 750ti in ccminer is lower than on pool. (9Mhash miner, 7-8Mhash pool - thats for 2 of them ofc)
For 750ti the difference is not that big though, I will check it after 24hrs, it might just be fluctuating.
Activity: 21
I finally got the hashing to work on Windows 10 Pro 64bit using the 14.4 Catalyst drivers.

https://i.imgur.com/WrnaKsj.png

Code:
setx GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100

sgminer.exe --no-submit-stale --kernel Lyra2REv2 -o stratum+tcp://coinotron.com:3340 -u gotchay.worker -p xxx -g 2 -w 64 -I 18

1. Download sgminer (sgminer_binaries.zip) from: https://github.com/djm34/sgminer/releases/tag/5.1.2-lyra2rev2
2. Download AMD Catalyst drivers 14.4 for your OS & install: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/amd-catalyst-14-4-whql-(14-100-april-17)-download.html
3. Add msvcr110.dll & amdocl.dll (taken from 14.4 drivers) straight into the sgminer_binaries directory. My sgminer_binaries folder: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1688863/sgminer_binaries.zip
4. Run your .bat file
Pages:
Jump to: