Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 29441. (Read 26382433 times)

Activity: 531
Merit: 501
In NYC bitcoin was on the front page of the Times last week
Speaking of which, I was touristing in NY over the year-end holidays (yes, it was cold). We went to see Wall Street one evening, and was surprised to see a "Bitcoin Information Center" right next door to NYSE.  Behind a small lounge one could see a room where someone was presenting a talk to a small audience.

My sons, who knew of my obsession strong scientific interest in the matter, urged me to go in and pretend I was some rich sucker would-be investor. While we were at it, a fellow came out and invited us inside, saying something about something being already up to some zillions of dollars.  But I was too tired and thinking only of getting back to my hotel.

The rent for that place must be a small fortune.  That's one thing that I find off-putting about Bitcoin: too much lavish marketing for a project by a bunch of young digital subversives whose goal is to steal a highly lucrative business from banks and undermine the governments' control of money flow, worldwide.

Bitcoin has had very little marketing or advertising. The only things that come to mind are the GOX advert in the G20 magazine and the billboards that have been put up around California.

For most people something doesn't exist until they seen an advert for it. Maybe Circle will make a splash with advertising.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029
Sine secretum non libertas
That's one thing that I find off-putting about Bitcoin: too much lavish marketing for a project by a bunch of young digital subversives whose goal is to steal a highly lucrative business from banks and undermine the governments' control of money flow, worldwide.

I'm trying to understand this.  Off-putting, how?
Activity: 910
Merit: 1003
In NYC bitcoin was on the front page of the Times last week
Speaking of which, I was touristing in NY over the year-end holidays (yes, it was cold). We went to see Wall Street one evening, and was surprised to see a "Bitcoin Information Center" right next door to NYSE.  Behind a small lounge one could see a room where someone was presenting a talk to a small audience.

My sons, who knew of my obsession strong scientific interest in the matter, urged me to go in and pretend I was some rich sucker would-be investor. While we were at it, a fellow came out and invited us inside, saying something about something being already up to some zillions of dollars.  But I was too tired and thinking only of getting back to my hotel.

The rent for that place must be a small fortune.  That's one thing that I find off-putting about Bitcoin: too much lavish marketing for a project by a bunch of young digital subversives whose goal is to steal a highly lucrative business from banks and undermine the governments' control of money flow, worldwide.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
There's a very obvious Occam's Razor-style explanation for why the price hasn't appeared to be so news-sensitive. Maybe it's really been reacting mostly to fundamentals all along, and our consensus of relating it to news is just ex post facto attribution error?

Sure. And Dogecoin is obviously reacting to fundamentals as well.

In fact, it is.  One of the basic premises of Dogecoin is the meme-factor.  From a viral marketing perspective, dogecoins cute dogs and silly language is much more appealing to the majority of the human psyche than bitcoin's marketing, which talks of decentralized, p2p networks, ecliptic curve digital signature algorithms, hash functions, and merchant adoption (which is admittedly still hard to find unless you are looking).
legendary
Activity: 1484
Strange, yet attractive.
legendary
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
Not much happening for btc.. Im happy as it stays like this till afther the 31th, then in february the moon.
Maybe we can meet doge there, much speed, very wow.

ya the 31th marks an important date for bitcoin, the picture will become clear, the moon will shine bright, and the rocket will be prepped for take off.
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
In fact, it is.  One of the basic premises of Dogecoin is the meme-factor.  From a viral marketing perspective, dogecoins cute dogs and silly language is much more appealing to the majority of the human psyche than bitcoin's marketing, which talks of decentralized, p2p networks, ecliptic curve digital signature algorithms, hash functions, and merchant adoption (which is admittedly still hard to find unless you are looking).

Hmm.....

I used to be a pump n dump Alt-coin like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.  Roll Eyes

Activity: 224
Merit: 100
Not much happening for btc.. Im happy as it stays like this till afther the 31th, then in february the moon.
Maybe we can meet doge there, much speed, very wow.
legendary
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
There's a very obvious Occam's Razor-style explanation for why the price hasn't appeared to be so news-sensitive. Maybe it's really been reacting mostly to fundamentals all along, and our consensus of relating it to news is just ex post facto attribution error?

the market tends to get ahead of itself, the reason we arent reacting to the news is because we expected this news and priced it in before it happened. Now is the profit taking period, poeple that bought a overload of coins expecting higher prices are selling them off at a fair price for a sizable profit. they took a risk and its paying off, this is good stuff. once the profit has been taken and the next wave of buyers come, prices will rise to a new level of wow.
legendary

legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1745
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ
Activity: 1302
Merit: 502
Ask again under 20 000 on mtgox, and bid rising. Willy is doing a good job.

All I can think of..
Activity: 966
Merit: 500
📱 CARTESI 📱 INFRASTRUCTURE FOR SCA
Ask again under 20 000 on mtgox, and bid rising. Willy is doing a good job.
Activity: 686
Ultranode

Activity: 667
Activity: 151
Merit: 36
In NYC bitcoin was on the front page of the Times last week, front page of the Metro today.

I STILL have not met a single cab driver who knew what bitcoin was.

So growth.  Much runway.  Wow.

I agree, the runway is being paved (a very nice wide/smooth runway)

not sure if someone already mentioned it but Bitcoin was mentioned in two huge TV shows last week or so.
1. the blacklist
2.  person of interest
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029
Sine secretum non libertas
In NYC bitcoin was on the front page of the Times last week, front page of the Metro today.

I STILL have not met a single cab driver who knew what bitcoin was.

So growth.  Much runway.  Wow.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
eBay UK is to limit sales of bitcoin to its classified advertising platform from February 10, banning the currency from its auction and buy-it-now formats.

After the change comes into force, merchants will only be able to sell bitcoin through the classified ads format, which requires the buyer to contact the seller directly, without obligation.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jan/21/ebay-clamps-down-on-bitcoin-sales-in-the-uk

Game over man, game over.

Confirmed bad news!
But not in chinese language, and no chinese sources.

So cataclysm may delay a bit.

Anyway, shotred with higher margin, and bought more Dogecoin.
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
totally convinced, eh? Can I quote you on that later?

U may.

If I am wrong, then I will be much concerned about the squeeze on my capital than pride in my forum identity persona.
legendary
Activity: 3990
Merit: 4460
You're never too old to think young.
eBay UK is to limit sales of bitcoin to its classified advertising platform from February 10, banning the currency from its auction and buy-it-now formats.

After the change comes into force, merchants will only be able to sell bitcoin through the classified ads format, which requires the buyer to contact the seller directly, without obligation.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jan/21/ebay-clamps-down-on-bitcoin-sales-in-the-uk

Game over man, game over.

Shouldn't this be in Proudhon's FUD thread?
Jump to: