Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 32319. (Read 26469371 times)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100
1MCKW9AkWj3aopC1aPegcZEf2fYNrhUQVf
Pictures are hosted on edccdn.com, a private host by some guy.
Notice how this isn't linked to the deal.ebay.com/blog site anywhere. My best guess is it's a rouge admin.

What do you mean by it isn't linked to the blog? Did you check the entries all the way from August? I'm pretty sure it's linked there, because most CMS-software automatically links blog content.
Activity: 354
Merit: 251
coinorama.net
I did some digging and the video can be found on eBays own servers as well. I'm not sure who is allowed to post in this blog though (are all the posts from eBay employees?).

http://deals.ebay.com/blog/whats-the-deal-with-bitcoins-anyway/

Notice how this isn't linked to the deal.ebay.com/blog site anywhere. My best guess is it's a rouge admin.

A rogue admin with damn good graphics and video skills  Tongue
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1801
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
I did some digging and the video can be found on eBays own servers as well. I'm not sure who is allowed to post in this blog though (are all the posts from eBay employees?).

FNG
Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Excellent
Activity: 182
1MCKW9AkWj3aopC1aPegcZEf2fYNrhUQVf

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
Nah. Bitcoin is too Communist for eBay.

Tell that to the libertarians here Wink
It seems very capitalistic to me.  As with any other currency, there's a small number of people with huge stashes ruining things for everyone else, such as by dirty tricks like dumping about 25000BTC onto a rising market last night, and manipulating the price with huge ask/bid walls.

Its not communist or capitalist - its just a currency. It is for sure a demon for Keynesianists, which usually label themselves as "left wing economists", as the ability to inflate the currency is a must for the Keynesianist "stimulus strategy" in crisis times, which is a central point of Keynesianism.

That said, a communist government would never accept a national currency they cannot fully control - on the contrary, libertarian capitalists or more generially austrian echonomy followers would embrace it with joy.

Anyhow, I can see anarchists/communists/anti-capitalists supporting Bitcoin just because is a "bank killer", and right now the financial elites are the ones ruling the world, so we could say that Bitcoin could turn upside down the current status quo, which might be a desiderable intermediate step for communists/anarchists/anti-capitalists in general. Bitcoin would never been the end goal for anti-capitalists, but it could be a first step to radically change the power balances in the world.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010
he who has the gold makes the rules
ebay/paypal is a new entrant into the banking field, they by no means are an incumbent.  any tech which has the potential for radical disruption, will not and cannot be harnessed by incumbents.

read what paypals original mission and vision were, though i doubt any of the original folks are left, the people running it must realize the disruptive ability of crypto to the banking space
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
This account was recently hacked

It seems very capitalistic to me.  As with any other currency, there's a small number of people with huge stashes ruining things for everyone else, such as by dirty tricks like dumping about 25000BTC onto a rising market last night, and manipulating the price with huge ask/bid walls.

Of course though although I object to this it doesn't mean that I definitely wouldn't do the same if I was in a position to do so, just like anyone else I'm happy to accept a pile of cash if it's available, few people are completely immune to greed.
Activity: 133

legendary
Activity: 238
Going back to the "mike from ebay" thing: nightowlace story didn't seem a lie to me, I was just amazed that he did not ask more info (last name and position) to the guy making the questions - now I see he did.

Nevertheless, I still cannot understand how Paypal/Ebay could be seriously thinking about integrating Bitcoin - it's totally against their interests. Come on: irreversible transfers, decentralized currency, pseudoanonymity? It's a Paypal antagonist, I really cannot see how they could support BTC, it is completely opposite to their philosophy - in fact, aren't Paypal and Ebay jerking around with people dealing with BTC?

As I said when I saw the CEO of Paypal speaking about BTC: I'm very sure those guys are looking closely to BTC, but IMO they would develop their own proprietary crypto, they wouldn't embrace BTC as it is.

It'd be like Toyota investing in Tesla!

oh wait: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10138918  Wink

When a new technology has the potential to make your business model obsolete somewhere down the line, it's not always a bad idea to join in to some degree as a hedge against that scenario.

If they don't get in, then as Bitcoin continues to take off, they may find that BitPay and Coinbase already have contracts with all major retailers and PayPal would be kicking themselves for not getting on top of things sooner. Even if Coinbase and BitPay only get a small-medium marketshare and Paypal comes in late and picks up the rest, that's still profit that PayPal would be missing out on.
Activity: 672
Going back to the "mike from ebay" thing: nightowlace story didn't seem a lie to me, I was just amazed that he did not ask more info (last name and position) to the guy making the questions - now I see he did.

Nevertheless, I still cannot understand how Paypal/Ebay could be seriously thinking about integrating Bitcoin - it's totally against their interests. Come on: irreversible transfers, decentralized currency, pseudoanonymity? It's a Paypal antagonist, I really cannot see how they could support BTC, it is completely opposite to their philosophy - in fact, aren't Paypal and Ebay jerking around with people dealing with BTC?

As I said when I saw the CEO of Paypal speaking about BTC: I'm very sure those guys are looking closely to BTC, but IMO they would develop their own proprietary crypto, they wouldn't embrace BTC as it is.
It does go against what they've been doing but they may be scared not to.

The EbayDeals video would of taken a hell of a time commitment for someone who's attempting to start a rumor. Doesn't seem to be a fake.

Also, If some higher ups have amassed thousands of bitcoin they stand to makes millions or tens of millions by giving it the green light. People do work in their own self interest..

Uhm anybody with some decent computer and animation skills could probably make that in a day or 2.
Activity: 672
Hold on. An Ebay employee randomly calling people to ask about Bitcoin and telling them about their future plans?
And people here believe that?

I sure hope someone proves me wrong but so far it sounds like a ridiculous story.
FNG
Activity: 588

It does go against what they've been doing but they may be scared not to.

The EbayDeals video would of taken a hell of a time commitment for someone who's attempting to start a rumor. Doesn't seem to be a fake.

Also, If some higher ups have amassed thousands of bitcoin they stand to makes millions or tens of millions by giving it the green light. People do work in their own self interest..
legendary
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

Activity: 350
Merit: 250
This account was recently hacked
I'm officially the worst trader - sold at 89 (bottom), bought at 147 ($1 from top), sold at 127 (bottom)

I managed to call the bottom perfectly, but it's unfortunate that I used it to sell at rather than buy at - oops!  Oh well, it's not the end of the world.  At least I did call the bottom correctly last time when I bought in for $68, and I don't have enough of a BTC/USD stash to be worth losing sleep over the price difference anyway.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
I'm officially the worst trader - sold at 89 (bottom), bought at 147 ($1 from top), sold at 127 (bottom)

I once heard about a student trader who had reversed the "buy" and "sell" buttons on his trading station to overcome that mind-set.

Let me guess: He also reversed the default settings of his mouse.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1006
100 satoshis -> ISO code

I once heard about a student trader who had reversed the "buy" and "sell" buttons on his trading station to overcome that mind-set.
Jump to: