Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 32365. (Read 26469956 times)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Bid side is getting steep again! Another Tsunami on the way?

yes.

Please forgive such a n00b question.. (but I am a n00b!) --

When i see bid depth like this, quite a bit higher than the ask depth - doesn't this imply the simple priciple of supply and demand.

i.e. -  there is more demand than suppply... ergo, price will rise??

At least that is what i assume, please correct me if i am wrong, and a quick / simple explanation too if possible,

(I admit to eing a n00b, i admit i know very littel, but i also want to learn)

Yes and no.

While the law of supply and demand is certainly the driver behind the Bitcoin price, you have to also consider that a lot of people don't have their coins or USD on the exchange right now and that graph only represents people who have staked their position.

What really changes the price of Bitcoin in these early days are the whales (large BTC holders/wealthy individuals). Once you think you know where things are going, a huge whale will splash in out of nowhere and change everything.

Just look at this recent run-up. Nothing on that graph indicated it, and all that happened was some whale came in and bought up a ton of coins out of nowhere.

Right now the Bid depth does indicate buying pressure and thus a higher price, but there could be someone just waiting to put in a massive sell order, changing the whole game. I find this unlikely though, because the (so far) positive talks with US regulators is a HUGE step in the right direction and brings a lot of confidence.
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1801
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ
Activity: 707
Merit: 500

yes.

Please forgive such a n00b question.. (but I am a n00b!) --

When i see bid depth like this, quite a bit higher than the ask depth - doesn't this imply the simple priciple of supply and demand.

i.e. -  there is more demand than suppply... ergo, price will rise??

At least that is what i assume, please correct me if i am wrong, and a quick / simple explanation too if possible,

(I admit to eing a n00b, i admit i know very littel, but i also want to learn)
legendary
legendary
legendary
legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531
yes

It could take until Sunday again....
legendary
legendary
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner

yes.

Activity: 588
Activity: 504
180 by last friday

This is correct if you calculate the "true" price of bitcoin. I calculate we are at true $210 right now. Gox shows price minus $50 evil whale suppression and minus $30 fed gov oppression. So in real reality, my predictions are rarely wrong

$300 True Price by Friday. Guaranteed.

So what will increase by $90?  The price, the whale suppression, or the gov oppression?  Probably a combination of all 3, but in what proportions?

It is a very complicated equation, beyond your noob analysis. Just trust me on this one

Roll Eyes

I have a degree in Mathematics.  Try me.

yes because there are any mathematics at play in this bitcoin market  Roll Eyes
legendary
legendary
Trusted Bitcoiner
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 4738
You're never too old to think young.
fake return to bull market.
LOL $30-$50 capitulation here we come.  Grin
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 4738
You're never too old to think young.
BTC is quick, fiat not so much...
Understatement of the year.  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 672
BTW, 66% of my trading stash joined the "investment stash" on a paper wallet. I sold the remaining 33% at $120 and requested a withdrawal to try some arbitrage with Bitstamp... The money didn't arrived to my account yet, so after the last rally my arbitraging move isn't looking too good ATM.

I don't understand this move. The best way to arbitrage is to buy bitcoins on Bitstamp and sell them on Gox, doing it the other way around like you did carries a huge amount of risk since you have to wait for the funds to arrive from Gox first. Why did you try it this way? Huh

Well, because I bought back in full between $67 and $105. My trading position was all BTC, so I had to sell on Gox before buying on Bitstamp to sell again on Gox, etc. etc. etc...

Plus, the point here is to see how fast I can move fiat from Gox to Bitstamp in a recurrent way - both fiat and BTC have to move quickly for arbitrage to work. BTC is quick, fiat not so much...

If your fiat arrives at Bitstamp in less than 4 weeks, you should be able to buy there at the very bottom.
And if arrives in less than 2 weeks, you might be able to take advantage of the fake return to bull market.

You just don't stop, do you?
legendary
legendary
Trusted Bitcoiner
180 by last friday

This is correct if you calculate the "true" price of bitcoin. I calculate we are at true $210 right now. Gox shows price minus $50 evil whale suppression and minus $30 fed gov oppression. So in real reality, my predictions are rarely wrong

$300 True Price by Friday. Guaranteed.

So what will increase by $90?  The price, the whale suppression, or the gov oppression?  Probably a combination of all 3, but in what proportions?

I would become an insta-bear if that happened and sell half of my coins.

what if it was 300$ in early 2014, you be selling then?
Jump to: