Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 32516. (Read 26471961 times)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

Are there site traffic stats anywhere?

Sure here ya are:

Gox Withdraw: 2 weeks - 3 months.
Bitcointalk: 2-3 seconds a page.

lol, can you make some charts?

Sorry my chart sending abilities are temporarily on haitus, maybe next year i'll send them over.

so... umm.. "in 2 weeks"??
Activity: 882
Merit: 501
Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

Sure here ya are:

Sorry my chart sending abilities are temporarily on haitus, maybe next year i'll send them over.
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

Sure here ya are:

legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1801
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ
Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong
Has bitcointalk been going really slow for anybody the last couple days? I'm not sure if it's the internet i'm using (i'm on a trip) or if its the forum itself...?

the forum

Forum's slow for me too.

Sure here ya are:

Has bitcointalk been going really slow for anybody the last couple days? I'm not sure if it's the internet i'm using (i'm on a trip) or if its the forum itself...?

the forum

Forum's slow for me too.

legendary
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
i have received a rather large box addressed to "Mr.Bitcoin"  Grin

price will rise sharply soon!
How many business days is it now to 180? Grin

You are not in a position to make fun of people's predictions. Believe me.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
Someone posted a graph that shows total bid / total ask on mtgox over time, interested to see that. 
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007
@adamstgBit, vokain

I'm a bit late, previous post on this topic already two pages behind us, but I'd like to add one remark about the Accumulation/Distribution indicator and what to gather from it.

I would be very careful looking at it in absolute terms. It's almost useless in that respect, in my opinion. So looking at the difference in absolute value between bit and mtg doesn't say much, other than (as chodpaba already said) that historically, volume was higher on mtg and thus the absolute value of A/D is higher.

Similarly for absolute peaks and absolute lows of A/D. I don't think they can be really used for predicting anything.

What I find somewhat useful is to contrast A/D with it's volume-based brethren PVT and OBV, that are all, in one way or another, trying to estimate the "actual" capital entering/leaving the market, as opposed to the relatively uninformative market cap method of multiplying coins with current price.

The difference, in my understanding, between PVT and OBV on the one hand, and CMF, A/D on the other is that the former are closer to an attempt to estimate the net volume *in* the market, while the latter is more concerned with a series of *trends* of how money enters/leaves the market.

The obvious example is that the way CMF and A/D (basically the cumulative version of CMF) are calculated, they can be *positive* even if closing price is lower than opening price for a given period, as long as the closing price is above the middle point of high and low of that period.

That might look like a problem (one which PVT and OBV don't have, btw), and it also seems to be common to file it under "criticism" of the method, but I see it slightly differently: it's a way to combine minor, individual price/volume trends as a series, to get a feeling if the market is more "optimistic" or rather "pessimistic".

Sorry for the vague terminology :/ It's simply that I can't describe it much better right now. The way I interpret the A/D graphs I posted is that we're in a phase of (mild) consolidation/optimism after the last long slide down, and that the optimism/buying pressure is somewhat greater on bit than on mtg, because of the rate at which A/D is growing currently on bit vs. its (near) stagnation on mtg.

Which to me becomes *really* surprising considering that we would expect selling pressure to dominate bit, given the "buy on mtg, sell on bit, to escape the mtg fiat trap" hypothesis that most people on here seem to follow.
Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong
So, is this a proper breakout over 100 or just another temporary blip before the next plunge?

If 100 doesn't hold, it will be interesting to see if we fall back to above or below 90 (EDIT: changed from Bitstamp value!). If it does hold, it could mean we are entering a bull market.

I'm standing by my bet of us still being in a bear market for a few more months yet, but I'm finding it hard to predict where it is going to go currently. Perhaps that is because we are getting close to the bottom (or have passed it!  Lips sealed)?

EDIT: BTW, take a look at the chart from mid-June. 100 was a support for two rallies which failed to breach 115. 115 was the support level for much of May.

The RSI is also not looking good at all there.
legendary
Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong
It's not a grey area in the US, very black and white. If you exchange USD for Virtual Convertible Currency (i.e. Bitcoin) you are obligated to register with the Federal Government (the FinCEN Guideline).

Do you know how unworkably absurd that sounds to real people? ... and yet you parrot it like it should mean something deep to someone.

If you are playing with virtual currencies on the internet you need to be registered with the Federal govt. ... uh-huh. Is that like in the rules for the MMPOG game or something, like the virtual in-world Federal govt. or the Galactic Federation Council of Elders?

I'm sure you've got better things to be doing with your time than reminding everyone of all their obligations under the massive set of federal laws now at their disposal. I bet you could find someone doing something wrong every minute of every day and you could talk to in a stern voice ... "Do you realise that it is black and white ... blah-blah-blah ... tune out.... illegal?" Is that your goal in life?

I use to sell on localbitcoins but no longer due because i'm worried of the legality of it. I've also attended a few bitcoin conferences where these regulations in specific were discussed.

Not saying I agree with this bs though...

So, is this a proper breakout over 100 or just another temporary blip before the next plunge?

If 100 doesn't hold, it will be interesting to see if we fall back to above or below 80. If it does hold, it could mean we are entering a bull market.

I'm standing by my bet of us still being in a bear market for a few more months yet, but I'm finding it hard to predict where it is going to go currently. Perhaps that is because we are getting close to the bottom (or have passed it!  Lips sealed)?

I hope we're headed back to the 80's, I've sold most my bitcoins for the time being.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1094
Without the whale buyer to move the market up, we may be slowly going down for a while.
It's possible that the whale buyer does not want to buy above 100, so he may wait for the price to drop.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100

If 100 doesn't hold, it will be interesting to see if we fall back to above or below 90 (EDIT: changed from Bitstamp value!). If it does hold, it could mean we are entering a bull market.

I'm standing by my bet of us still being in a bear market for a few more months yet, but I'm finding it hard to predict where it is going to go currently. Perhaps that is because we are getting close to the bottom (or have passed it!  Lips sealed)?

EDIT: BTW, take a look at the chart from mid-June. 100 was a support for two rallies which failed to breach 115. 115 was the support level for much of May.

legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
It's not a grey area in the US, very black and white. If you exchange USD for Virtual Convertible Currency (i.e. Bitcoin) you are obligated to register with the Federal Government (the FinCEN Guideline).

Do you know how unworkably absurd that sounds to real people? ... and yet you parrot it like it should mean something deep to someone.

If you are playing with virtual currencies on the internet you need to be registered with the Federal govt. ... uh-huh. Is that like in the rules for the MMPOG game or something, like the virtual in-world Federal govt. or the Galactic Federation Council of Elders?

I'm sure you've got better things to be doing with your time than reminding everyone of all their obligations under the massive set of federal laws now at their disposal. I bet you could find someone doing something wrong every minute of every day and you could talk to in a stern voice ... "Do you realise that it is black and white ... blah-blah-blah ... tune out.... illegal?" Is that your goal in life?
Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

AFAIK, Fincen paper is just a "guidance" at this moment. No Laws for the moment, so no obligation.

Correct, the guidance is not a law, however it means that bitcoin is covered under the already existing laws.

I digress though, maybe this isn't a discussion for here, but over in the Legal subforum (there's already multiple for the same topic under way).

Activity: 168
Merit: 100
i don't get why it's okay to sell a speculative item like say, a trading card or an online game item, but selling a bitcoin is so drastically different?

i suppose you have a lot more volume when working with bitcoins

Statism frequently ends up using arbitrary threats. There is little in the way of principles guiding such laws - it's just 'might is right', with some lobbying thrown in.
legendary
Activity: 2478
Merit: 1362

AFAIK, Fincen paper is just a "guidance" at this moment. No Laws for the moment, so no obligation.
Jump to: