Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 33111. (Read 26465816 times)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Something is wrong with that chart. I have seen many log charts (for example the one at bitcoincharts.com) but they all look different.
The first thing that's wrong about that chart is that it's pulled out of the OP's ass. He was drawing a line based on "Mmmm, right about there".

ok then.

Plotted using sigmaplot.

regression analysis in genstat stats package (version 12) minus bubble data.

bitcoin price (logged) = -0.0635+0.0013791*time  

predicted price= $24.24

when I first saw this, I sold everything. edit: all bitcoins

Smiley

Nice, so you actually didn't pull your prediction out of your ass, but used (polynomial) regression on historical data (not sure if it's wise to exclude bubble data/outliers, though). I respect that.

But do you want to know what is the single biggest assumption

Dude, you either don't know the math behind what you do, or you're willfully obstinate to make a point: if you run a simple regression analysis like you did, you de facto work from the assumption that there is one and only function underlying those data points. Otherwise, you "identified" jack shit.

I'm only showing that there's an extremely strong underlying trend outside of bubble data, which predicts a bitcoin price much lower than it is now. No need to get antsy Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007
Nice, so you actually didn't pull your prediction out of your ass, but used (polynomial) regression on historical data (not sure if it's wise to exclude bubble data/outliers, though). I respect that.

But do you want to know what is the single biggest assumption you make in your analysis, an assumption that some (including me) would consider completely unfounded, and in fact completely unrealistic?

That there is a single underlying growth function that governed the price of btc over the entire course of the data you looked at, and will continue to govern it.

Sure, you're free to make this assumption. But with that assumption removed, your analysis falls apart.

So suddenly there is the call for scientific rigour, when the results do not match your expectations?
Awesome!

Oh and take a hint, the result wouldn't differ much if someone were to use the method you suggested.

You're funny when you try too hard: I didn't suggest any method. I simply formulated the assumption made in sarc's analysis.

And "the result wouldn't differ much"? You're kidding, I hope. Simply (yet unrealistically) assuming that, say, growth was determined by one function up to January 2013, and another one following January 2013, would probably put us into the 500? 5000? (can't be arsed to calculate this now) range right now.

Which is obviously not where we are. Hence: unrealistic assumption as well, as noted above.
legendary

Something is wrong with that chart. I have seen many log charts (for example the one at bitcoincharts.com) but they all look different.
The first thing that's wrong about that chart is that it's pulled out of the OP's ass. He was drawing a line based on "Mmmm, right about there".

ok then.

Plotted using sigmaplot.

predicted price= $24.24

Smiley

But do you want to know what is the single biggest assumption you make in your analysis, an assumption that some (including me) would consider completely unfounded, and in fact completely unrealistic?

That there is a single underlying growth function that governed the price of btc over the entire course of the data you looked at, and will continue to govern it.

Sure, you're free to make this assumption. But with that assumption removed, your analysis falls apart.

thanks. But I didn't assume an underlying growth function, I used a linear regression to identify  and measure it. Sure it can change post bubble, but will it?

Dude, you either don't know the math behind what you do, or you're willfully obstinate to make a point: if you run a simple regression analysis like you did, you de facto work from the assumption that there is one and only function underlying those data points. Otherwise, you "identified" jack shit.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP

So suddenly there is the call for scientific rigor, when the results do not match your expectations?
Awesome!

Oh and take a hint, the result wouldn't differ much if someone were to use the method you suggested.

ok then.

Plotted using sigmaplot.

predicted price= $24.24

Smiley

thanks. But I didn't assume an underlying growth function, I used a linear regression to identify  and measure it. Sure it can change post bubble, but will it? With unbiased eyes, does it really look like the bubble is over?
legendary

ok then.

Plotted using sigmaplot.

predicted price= $24.24

:)

legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000
Gox shitting a brick right now?  Huh

No shit, where are all the panic sellers? 10 minutes lag and growing..

Our old goxxing always here   Lips sealed

Go on, crash, you know it makes sense...

But also consider what it means if it doesn't.  This is also a possibility.

stagnation?

If this type of trend line meant anything... if we extrapolate from the year 2000 using  this chart

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=%5EFTSE&t=my&l=on&z=l&q=l&c=

the FTSE should be around 50,000.

so your point is that I'm wildly overestimating the price?
Activity: 854
I chucked a buy order for 120.12 @ 1 btc and it got filled..  either i got goxxed or someone else did..

Goxxed! who's got a gif
Activity: 107
The volume on gox is really low today. Around the 15-16,000 mark.  Are we stable for the next few days then?
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1782
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ
ok then.

Plotted using sigmaplot.

There lies the problem. You choose what is bubble data and whatnot.

it's not exactly a subtle change...
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
ok then.

Plotted using sigmaplot.

There lies the problem. You choose what is bubble data and whatnot.

ok then.

Plotted using sigmaplot.

predicted price= $24.24

Smiley
Activity: 854
Gox shitting a brick right now?  Huh
Activity: 938
https://youengine.io/
Its not only the line, its the entire curve, the proportions are completely wrong. compare with the log charts at bitcoincharts.com or *any* other log chart of bitcoin price I have ever seen anywhere.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Activity: 750
Merit: 601

stagnation?

If this type of trend line meant anything... if we extrapolate from the year 2000 using  this chart

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=%5EFTSE&t=my&l=on&z=l&q=l&c=

the FTSE should be around 50,000.
Activity: 938
https://youengine.io/

stagnation?
Jump to: