Pages:
Author

Topic: Warning: How many of you Bears have ever been a victim of a Short Squeeze? - page 7. (Read 43736 times)

Activity: 826
Merit: 508
Let's say gox goes belly up.

Does it really make sense that when the adjudicators are dividing up what little, and I mean little, spoils are left over after the years of litigation, that they'll say that these guys over here will get their dollars back but those guys over there with BTC won't?

No, they'll be legally bound to return whatever form of property you had on gox. It would be way better to come out of that with 90% discounted coins.

Huh

Assets would be liquidated. Why do you assume BTC would not be? I highly doubt that BTC could be exempted from liquidation for any reason, but I am not well versed in bankruptcy law (in Japan, no less).

After liquidation, creditors are repaid, ordered by priority, then pro rata based on what is left. What is this idea that "they'll be legally bound to return whatever form of property you had" based on?

I suspect that the law deems fiat adequate for repayment of such debts.....

isn't BTC money? 

every gov't on the planet seems to recognize it as such.  why do you think they want their taxes from it and calls close to everyone who does business with it money transmitters?  if i owned BTC on gox and needed it to be repaid after BK, i'd take the BTC, not cash.

No precedent for that. No reason to think that choice exists, IMO. The only money that you must legally accept as repayment is fiat money. And I think BTC would be liquidated to fiat years before you could take repayment.

I don't know about "every government on the planet" recognizing it as such -- but that is not relevant here, nor is money transmission. And governments want their taxes on commodity trading as well, don't they? And how about Japan?

Regardless of anything, you have to admit that assuming that bankruptcy trustees will liquidate everything except bitcoin is a giant leap of faith. Do you have a legal basis for that? Regulators, bankruptcy courts and trustees do not necessarily cater to the logic of bitcoiners.

But who knows? I don't. But I wouldn't touch Gox -- I simply think there are better bets to be had.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
Short-squeeze coming in the next few months (by early June)....

Watch!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
legendary

Does it really make sense that when the adjudicators are dividing up what little, and I mean little, spoils are left over after the years of litigation, that they'll say that these guys over here will get their dollars back but those guys over there with BTC won't?

No, they'll be legally bound to return whatever form of property you had on gox. It would be way better to come out of that with 90% discounted coins.

This would be ideal.

I'm not so sure people will get those coins out in any reasonable amount of time.

legendary
here's a quick way to get your USD's out of Gox:

Buy Bitcoin!

The spread for this is going to tighten up real fast.

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

Huh

Assets would be liquidated. Why do you assume BTC would not be? I highly doubt that BTC could be exempted from liquidation for any reason, but I am not well versed in bankruptcy law (in Japan, no less).

After liquidation, creditors are repaid, ordered by priority, then pro rata based on what is left. What is this idea that "they'll be legally bound to return whatever form of property you had" based on?

isn't BTC money? 

every gov't on the planet seems to recognize it as such.  why do you think they want their taxes from it and calls close to everyone who does business with it money transmitters?  if i owned BTC on gox and needed it to be repaid after BK, i'd take the BTC, not cash.
Activity: 826
Merit: 508

Huh

legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1006
First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

That sounds right but tracing XBT can be hard and even if they find it they can't seize it.  Fiat on the other hand would be both easy to trace and seize. 
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

*whistles innocently*
Activity: 139
Merit: 100
Well in terms of BTC, mtgox, and bankruptcy.... something about blood and turnips comes to mind...
legendary

legendary
may I comment that questioning somebody weather or not they have been short squeezed is not sufficient warning to prevent such things.

Quite correct.

Covering comes not from the squeeze itself but during the subsequent pain.
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1001
may I comment that questioning somebody weather or not they have been short squeezed is not sufficient warning to prevent such things.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Stand on the shoulders of giants
sellers get to much pressure when the production >> demand

ps::
x ≫ y means x is much greater than y.
x ≪ y means x is much less than y.
legendary
here's a quick way to get your USD's out of Gox:

Buy Bitcoin!
legendary
legendary
Meahnwhile, BTCUSD moving up.. stone throw from 113.25$, once comfortably above it, the next stops are 130's and 160's.

choo chooooo

for what it worth:

The above pattern is so called "inverse head and shoulders" and it is a widely held belief that it is one of the most high probability bottoming and trend reversal patterns.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/i/inverseheadandshoulders.asp

Investopedia explains 'Inverse Head And Shoulders'
As you can see from the chart above, a move above the resistance, also known as the neckline, is used as a signal of a sharp move higher. Many traders will watch for a large spike in volume to confirm the validity of the breakout. This pattern is the opposite of the popular head and shoulders pattern, but is used to predict shifts in a downtrend rather than an uptrend.

you must be a hidden subscriber.  i identified that for my subs back on 8/5.

great eyes see alike. Grin

I immediately recognized the pattern  Grin

This one made my day!

LOL!

CHOO CHOO! NEXT STOP ~$130 to $165  Grin Grin Grin

Target still on track.

Image is still a super funny one.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
FNG
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
"How many of you Bears have ever been a victim of a Short Squeeze?"

Over the next few weeks, many  Shocked
legendary
Lol!

Short Squeeze in progress on Bitstamp.

Fuckers.

yep, you can run but you can't hide.
legendary
Lol!

Short Squeeze in progress on Bitstamp.

Fuckers.
anu
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
The problem with compounding interest and the problem with deflation are essentially the same. Both choke off money velocity. The only excuse I've heard is that "It's actually good people don't spend their money." This stands in contrast to every economic theory, even Austrian Economics. Only "Bitcoin Economists" have come to this strange conclusion.

EM,

the problem with the hoarding theory is that everyone disagrees with when to jump off the train.  you, for instance, probably sold @ $2 after it bottomed @ $1.96 on the way back up. Grin

and it certainly isn't stopping everyone from buying new pc's.
Actually I had a bitcoinica long position @2.

The reason why everybody still buys PCs are because they provide value over the transistors their chips are made of. No matter how far down moores law, it's still a PC.
This is actually an interesting comparison. Bitcoin could have been fixing the money supply to the total amount of processing power dedicated to it, or better the logarithm of it, this would have resulted in a sound limit enforced by physical limitations rather than the arbitrary 4 year halving period.

As for me "giving up", lets see if Bitcoin hasn't been superseded with a superior design within a decade.
that is likely but the core idea itself will remain.

The world of software is littered with superior roadkill. What counts is integration and network effects.
Pages:
Jump to: