Pages:
Author

Topic: Warning: How many of you Bears have ever been a victim of a Short Squeeze? - page 8. (Read 43736 times)

legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1006
First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold
The problem with compounding interest and the problem with deflation are essentially the same. Both choke off money velocity. The only excuse I've heard is that "It's actually good people don't spend their money." This stands in contrast to every economic theory, even Austrian Economics. Only "Bitcoin Economists" have come to this strange conclusion.

EM,

the problem with the hoarding theory is that everyone disagrees with when to jump off the train.  you, for instance, probably sold @ $2 after it bottomed @ $1.96 on the way back up. Grin

and it certainly isn't stopping everyone from buying new pc's.
Actually I had a bitcoinica long position @2.

The reason why everybody still buys PCs are because they provide value over the transistors their chips are made of. No matter how far down moores law, it's still a PC.
This is actually an interesting comparison. Bitcoin could have been fixing the money supply to the total amount of processing power dedicated to it, or better the logarithm of it, this would have resulted in a sound limit enforced by physical limitations rather than the arbitrary 4 year halving period.

As for me "giving up", lets see if Bitcoin hasn't been superseded with a superior design within a decade.
that is likely but the core idea itself will remain.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276
proudhon finally gave up.  EM will too one day.

Oh EM gave up too, for a bit...

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1577290

(Actually he is a bull in disguise. No sane person spends this much time on a forum dedicated to something they seem to despise so much.)

lol!  that is one of those perpetual facts that the bears never want to acknowledge. 

Bitcoin has that hypnotic effect that just won't let go. 

it turns the sane to insane which is probably the real explanation. Cheesy

For my part, I'm bullish and excited about the potential of Bitcoin and distributed crypto-currencies generally.  For this reason it is especially valuable to attempt to take a jaded view of things since it is easy to lose balance about things one is excited about.   In my case there are a lot of things about Bitcoin that I genuinely would prefer to see evolve differently, and I'm not prone to holding back on my opinions.  Especially on a forum on the Internet.

Not sure what proudhon's trip is.  Nagle I've always felt believes he is doing at least something toward manipulating the market (and is trying to capitalize on it of course.)  He's probably wrong.  I don't think that almost any of the random jerk-offs (including myself) who populate this forum have much influence on almost anything.

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

Oh EM gave up too, for a bit...

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1577290

(Actually he is a bull in disguise. No sane person spends this much time on a forum dedicated to something they seem to despise so much.)

lol!  that is one of those perpetual facts that the bears never want to acknowledge. 

Bitcoin has that hypnotic effect that just won't let go. 

it turns the sane to insane which is probably the real explanation. Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001
₪``Campaign Manager´´₪
Grin
legendary
The problem with compounding interest and the problem with deflation are essentially the same. Both choke off money velocity. The only excuse I've heard is that "It's actually good people don't spend their money." This stands in contrast to every economic theory, even Austrian Economics. Only "Bitcoin Economists" have come to this strange conclusion.

Maybe Bitcoin (and gold) are not very 'money-like' after all.  At the present time at least.
What's your def. of money then?

I guess I would consider something who's primary use is as a political statement, a long term store of value, a risk management vehicle, or generally used as a vehicle for speculation as less like 'money'.

Part of it has to do with what options exist.  I use fiat as 'money' (or 'currency') and it works fine for me in that role and at this time.  I personally use Bitcoin as all of the four items I enumerated above...which is why the occurred to me.

But my point is that 'who cares?'  Even if/when I do use it more purely as 'money' (or 'currency') I still will feel very little need to have the rest of society putting one label or another on the solution.  And if that label funnels the solution into a maze of legal hassles it's even less desirable to me that it happens.

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
I never understood the desperate need on behalf of so many in the community to 'prove' the 'Bitcoin is money'. 

If you put it this way I can agree with it.
I actually expect Bitcoin to retain a value based on being collectible for a very long time, just not some ridiculous number which would be required for it to be money.
legendary
₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

Maybe Bitcoin (and gold) are not very 'money-like' after all.  At the present time at least.
What's your def. of money then?
legendary

In addition to the practical reasons for avoiding the label and thus tip-toeing around the legal hassles, avoiding labeling Bitcoin as 'money' probably would have been somewhat accurate as well.  I would have preferred some very vague term like 'tokens' or 'accounting units.'

I never understood the desperate need on behalf of so many in the community to 'prove' the 'Bitcoin is money'.  The volume of missive on this forum alone attempting to promote that fairly meaningless assertion is impressive.  It seems to me like the community has some sort of an inferiority complex about it.  Just as do many gold bugs about gold.  If one is confident in the strength of their solution, and I personally am about both Bitcoin (in some ways) and gold, then who gives a shit what uninformed people...especially those in the public sector...want to call it?

legendary

EM,

the problem with the hoarding theory is that everyone disagrees with when to jump off the train.  you, for instance, probably sold @ $2 after it bottomed @ $1.96 on the way back up. Grin

Actually I had a bitcoinica long position @2.

The reason why everybody still buys PCs are because they provide value over the transistors their chips are made of. No matter how far down moores law, it's still a PC.
This is actually an interesting comparison. Bitcoin could have been fixing the money supply to the total amount of processing power dedicated to it, or better the logarithm of it, this would have resulted in a sound limit enforced by physical limitations rather than the arbitrary 4 year halving period.

As for me "giving up", lets see if Bitcoin hasn't been superseded with a superior design within a decade.
legendary

EM,

legendary
legendary
This was probably intended as proof that the block was created on or after January 3rd, 2009, as well as a comment on the instability caused by fractional-reserve banking.

@EM, do you understand ? He did not pre-mine coins before "January 3rd, 2009"
That's irrelevant to bitcoins value proposition even if he did.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000
This was probably intended as proof that the block was created on or after January 3rd, 2009, as well as a comment on the instability caused by fractional-reserve banking.

@EM, do you understand ? He did not pre-mine coins before "January 3rd, 2009"
legendary
Like it or not, every cyprus-like event extents the longevity of the system exponentially. It reduces the deteriorating effects of compounding interest to the point of negligibility.
This is why Bitcoin will never replace the status quo and there is nothing you can do about it.
It likely never will but it doesn't need to replace the status quo either.  It needs to retain value and nothing on the horizon is showing a change in that for now.

Most of this value retaining properties come from the false promise of being able to replace the system with itself. This is why ultimately when it comes down to it it's a scam, not because of it's ponzi like properties but because of the deception encoded into the genesis block. Yes I am attacking the golden goose.

What is "the deception encoded into the genesis block" ?

Something about Greece and bank bailouts. In a sense Satoshi promised to solve the problems associated with that, he does not.
Even if he/she promised something that's pretty irrelevant to real life.  People will use bitcoin until it won't be useful.  That's it.  There is no grand shangri la promise here.  Life generally repeats itself in waves.  Some people rule others until it is no longer possible and then it changes.  Money systems come and go.  I'm pretty sure bitcoin will prove no different but how long will it be utilized for no one knows.
legendary
Most of this value retaining properties come from the false promise of being able to replace the system with itself. This is why ultimately when it comes down to it it's a scam, not because of it's ponzi like properties but because of the deception encoded into the genesis block. Yes I am attacking the golden goose.
You keep insisting it's a scam.  I don't get it.

he's been insisting on this for years now.  all that time wasted here on the forum.

legendary
Really ? this is in genesis block ? What is your source ?

The coinbase parameter contains, along with the normal data, the following text:

The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Genesis_block

Can this be laid out as a promise of replacement. I don't think so. A alternative, yes and IMO chances are good Bitcoin gets there.

Thank you :-) I did not know.

legendary
Activity: 1232

The coinbase parameter contains, along with the normal data, the following text:

The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Genesis_block

Can this be laid out as a promise of replacement. I don't think so. A alternative, yes and IMO chances are good Bitcoin gets there.
legendary
₪``Campaign Manager´´₪
Something about Greece and bank bailouts. In a sense Satoshi promised to solve the problems associated with that, he does not.
Yeah, it's something like 'the times: chancellor on brink of second bank bailout'.  Look it up.
legendary
Like it or not, every cyprus-like event extents the longevity of the system exponentially. It reduces the deteriorating effects of compounding interest to the point of negligibility.
This is why Bitcoin will never replace the status quo and there is nothing you can do about it.
It likely never will but it doesn't need to replace the status quo either.  It needs to retain value and nothing on the horizon is showing a change in that for now.

What is "the deception encoded into the genesis block" ?

legendary
₪``Campaign Manager´´₪
You keep insisting it's a scam.  I don't get it.
Pages:
Jump to: