Pages:
Author

Topic: Weekly pool and network statistics - page 25. (Read 91291 times)

legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1034
Needs more jiggawatts
August 19, 2012, 01:12:29 PM
Wow, awesome charts!

I had no idea there was still so much pool hopping. You can clearly see the pool hopping effect, even on Deepbit. Pool hopping on Slush's pool seems massive. I had no idea.

Why do people still mine there and lose so much income?

I guess Deepbit miners think "I only lose a couple percent to pool hopping, it's no big deal." But the loss from mining 24/7 on the other hoppable pools look like it is nothing short of massive. Pool hoppers put a serious hurting on your wallet.
legendary
Activity: 889
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin calls me an Orphan
August 19, 2012, 10:36:50 AM
As always.. great job!
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
August 19, 2012, 04:59:22 AM
    Apologies to BitcoinPool and their miners - the pool's website was down today and I was unable to retrieve the weekly data.

I have had some feedback indicating that 50BTC.com should not be included in the pool hashrate stats due to the unavoidable error caused by the minimal published data the pool makes available. At the current hashrate of 2000 Ghps, the standard error would be +/- 8.8% and will reduce id 50BTC's hashrate increases as a proportion of the network hashrate. Anyone else have any thoughts on the matter?

I've added some more charts, and I've added a guide section for the charts.
    Chart 1: List of all pools with public data and their various statistics averaged for the last seven days - for smaller pools the average may be more or less than seven days, depending on number of blocks solved for the week.
    Chart 2: Network hashrate, hashrate of the largest mining pool, combined hashrates of the three largest mining pools, and a line representing 50% of the network hashrate. Handy if you're worried about 51% attacks.
    Chart 3: Chronology of pool hashrates, averaged per week.
    Chart 4: Average hashrates per pool per round for the week.
    Chart 5: Chronology of pool luck indexes, averaged per week.

Chart 6: Chronology of round length divided by difficulty, averaged per week.
    Chart 7: Percentage of orphaned blocks produced by the pool, averaged per week.
    Chart 8: Hashrate vs round length for hoppable pools (the larger the hashrate increase at the start of a round, the larger the loss to strategic miners).

Highlights:
  • It seems that the thought of actually supporting their pool financially had led some Ozcoin miners to leave, losing the pool 300Ghps and 2% of the network hashrate.
  • p2Pool still hasn't seen any bad luck for six weeks in a row.
  • Deepbit finally gained a little in terms of network hashrate, and has been extremely lucky for the last seven days.
  • Hoppable pools apart from Deepbit are being hopped for a significant portion of the initial hashrate.

Weekly average pool statistics, 19th August:

[/list]
legendary
Activity: 1260
August 17, 2012, 08:35:08 PM
Yep, that's exactly what happens.  Basically runs through the block payout algorithm twice in a row while attributing all the shares to the previous block.
donator
Poor impulse control.
August 17, 2012, 08:25:50 PM
I don't know that I would classify it as directly related to DGM, it just counts the block as zero shares, thus bypassing DGM all together and paying out the current score (which is basically the same as the previous block score).

I think you're right - as long as the expected amount of each share under your reward method has an expectation of p*B and all shares and rewards are still accounted for, then it shouldn't matter.
donator
Poor impulse control.
August 17, 2012, 08:21:39 PM
Nice graphs. Look at BitMinter go! How do you like them apples? Grin

Why the wonky graph for Slush? I thought his pool wasn't hoppable anymore.

As eleuthria writes Slush is still hoppable - the promised change to DGM hasn't occurred yet.

Proportional pools are hoppable by submitting shares only until the pool has received a certain amount of valid shares in total, so the second group of charts shows the current proportional pools' average hashrates per round vs total submitted shares / Difficulty for that round.

Two of the standard proportional pools and both of the exponentially scored proportional pools show significant decreases in hashrate for longer rounds, indicating a higher amount of pool hopping hashrate added early on in a round.

legendary
Activity: 1750
August 17, 2012, 08:11:38 PM

Nope, slush is still very hoppable at the moment.
legendary
Needs more jiggawatts
August 17, 2012, 07:44:28 PM

legendary
August 17, 2012, 07:38:27 PM
I don't know that I would classify it as directly related to DGM, it just counts the block as zero shares, thus bypassing DGM all together and paying out the current score (which is basically the same as the previous block score).

donator
Poor impulse control.
August 16, 2012, 11:03:43 PM
You are talking about me!  I know it!  While they are not technically 0 share rounds, for the purposes of share calculation they are.  Keeps the ultra fast miners from getting all the reward at the expense of the slower miners, making it fair for everyone.

This is a DGM optimisation?
legendary
August 16, 2012, 12:57:59 PM
You are talking about me!  I know it!  While they are not technically 0 share rounds, for the purposes of share calculation they are.  Keeps the ultra fast miners from getting all the reward at the expense of the slower miners, making it fair for everyone.
donator
Poor impulse control.
August 16, 2012, 09:37:40 AM
Nice new graphs, cool Smiley

You like that, eh? Well, I got tired of telling people that DeepBit was being hopped less since I published an NPW blog post on it, so check this out:

Activity: 742
Merit: 500
August 16, 2012, 08:50:50 AM
Nice new graphs, cool :)
donator
Poor impulse control.
August 16, 2012, 06:37:48 AM
Something to look forward to on Sunday - weekly hashrate averages per block (per day for BTCGuild). I've attempted to sanitise the data as much as possible, for example short rounds where Timestamps could be in error and for errors in the data (one pool has 0 shares listed for several rounds - you know who you are Wink) but errors may still creep in. Let me know if anything looks totally wonky to you.

donator
Poor impulse control.
August 15, 2012, 03:00:53 AM
Any other useful stats or charts anyone would like to see?
legendary
Needs more jiggawatts
August 13, 2012, 04:55:55 AM
There's been cases where botnet operators have been mining in pools and gotten banned. Then they get angry and attack the pool with a DDoS attack. I thought that's what we were talking about. If botnet operators stop mining we'll see less of this.
donator
Poor impulse control.
August 12, 2012, 08:24:01 PM
This gave me some pause for thought - as ASICS and more FPGAs come online, DDOS will be a thing of the past as pool difficulties rise. No more DDOS! How can ASICs be bad? Wink
ASICs and DDoS are unrelated.
Legitimate load and DDoS is not the same.

Exactly what Tycho said.  I don't know why there was even mention of the two in the same sentence.  The only thing relating the two is that the first few rounds of ASICs might be able to solo mine with reasonable control over variance, but if ASICs are really it's only a matter of time until everybody is pointing ASICs at pools to beat variance just like they do with GPUs today.

As I mentioned to Tycho in a PM, that would be because I misunderstood how pools work. I'd thought DDoSing was something like what happens when a CPU botnet starts submitting to a pool. Increase pool diff and CPU botnets won't be able to submit much at all. I didn't realise that a DDoS would be just as effective if you just threw crap at a mining server.

Consider me schooled, gentlemen!

legendary
Activity: 1750
August 12, 2012, 08:02:04 PM
This gave me some pause for thought - as ASICS and more FPGAs come online, DDOS will be a thing of the past as pool difficulties rise. No more DDOS! How can ASICs be bad? Wink

Exactly what Tycho said.  I don't know why there was even mention of the two in the same sentence.  The only thing relating the two is that the first few rounds of ASICs might be able to solo mine with reasonable control over variance, but if ASICs are really it's only a matter of time until everybody is pointing ASICs at pools to beat variance just like they do with GPUs today.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
August 12, 2012, 07:47:17 PM
legendary
Needs more jiggawatts
August 12, 2012, 10:54:59 AM
I was thinking of making it a fee, but .... Grin

Haha  Cheesy Donation sent Smiley

I can confirm this. The average for the last 20 blocks is about 650Gphs. Nice going there, DrH Smiley

Thank you Smiley

I hope it will reduce the frequency of DDoS attacks, as there won't be huge CPU mining botnets anymore. But the last big DDoS attack on multiple pools was about extortion. They demanded money before they would stop the attack. This is more of a general internet problem.

I think a lot of miners just never thought about it before, and Ozcoin is the first big pool to make such a switch. I think miners will be more accepting of fair fees once they realise that they are important for smooth running of a pool.

I do like your "perks", and not just because I can pretend I'm playing Fallout. It's community building, and I hope it's working well for you.

It works well, except 1% donation to get paid for orphans is probably priced a bit too cheaply. Currently 1 orphan will wreck the income of 70 good blocks for the pool (70% of the hashpower use this perk and average BTC donations is 1%). Raising prices is never popular though. I'm thinking about more perks and other non-free services, so I'm very interested to see how this works out for Ozcoin.
Pages:
Jump to: