Pages:
Author

Topic: Weekly pool and network statistics - page 26. (Read 91252 times)

donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
August 12, 2012, 09:20:46 AM
These stats are a great service. Is there a donation address?

Well, thank you sir! Use the NPW donations address in my sig. For those of you who have sigs turned off, that would be: 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r

I was thinking of making it a fee, but .... Grin

BitMinter is the largest true zero fee pool, with transaction fees paid out (plus namecoins). In fact there's only a couple left, plus the pretenders who don't pay out the (currently 0.3% and going up) transaction fees. Maybe things are changing.

The weekly stats show an average hashrate of 569 GH/s, but the last day we have been doing over 700 GH/s. We are growing quite quickly.

I can confirm this. The average for the last 20 blocks is about 650Gphs. Nice going there, DrH Smiley

The pool has been to 912 GH/s with fairly light load. I expect the current single server setup can take us to between 5 and 6 TH/s before it will be at capacity. More when I have dynamic difficulty ready for the server software. Perhaps then we can accommodate all of today's bitcoin miners on a single server?

This gave me some pause for thought - as ASICS and more FPGAs come online, DDOS will be a thing of the past as pool difficulties rise. No more DDOS! How can ASICs be bad? Wink Wrong, wrong wrong.

I'm sure we already got some "zero fee refugees" and there are more to come. But at the same time it will be interesting to see how many are willing to pay for a service they like. It would give me more confidence that it is worthwhile putting an effort into new non-free add-on services for my pool. Either way, very interesting weeks ahead.

I think a lot of miners just never thought about it before, and Ozcoin is the first big pool to make such a switch. I think miners will be more accepting of fair fees once they realise that they are important for smooth running of a pool.

I do like your "perks", and not just because I can pretend I'm playing Fallout. It's community building, and I hope it's working well for you.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1034
Needs more jiggawatts
August 12, 2012, 08:23:46 AM
Always glad to see that someone is watching! It will be interesting to see if there is any significant drop in hashrate after the new Ozcoin fee. My guess is that it won't be a significant drop in hashrate, if any at all.

I'm sure many will be watching this closely, especially pool operators. Graet and the rest at Ozcoin, I must commend you on a brave move. Maybe the bitcoin community is ready to get past the "everything must be free" mentality, which I found quite puzzling as I got started with bitcoins, after all it is a community about (improving) money. With most other pools (except the biggest ones) being zero fee there was no other option for my pool.

These stats are a great service. Is there a donation address?

Well, the proxy pools can try the smaller fee-free pools, but how will most react to a massive influx of hashrate? That will require more maintenance, and show up problems of which they might not yet be aware.

BitMinter is the largest true zero fee pool, with transaction fees paid out (plus namecoins). In fact there's only a couple left, plus the pretenders who don't pay out the (currently 0.3% and going up) transaction fees. Maybe things are changing.

The weekly stats show an average hashrate of 569 GH/s, but the last day we have been doing over 700 GH/s. We are growing quite quickly. The pool has been to 912 GH/s with fairly light load. I expect the current single server setup can take us to between 5 and 6 TH/s before it will be at capacity. More when I have dynamic difficulty ready for the server software. Perhaps then we can accommodate all of today's bitcoin miners on a single server? But yeah, it took quite some work removing bottlenecks and tweaking Linux kernel parameters and database parameters before it got this fast. Pools that have not been through this have some work ahead of them.

I'm sure we already got some "zero fee refugees" and there are more to come. But at the same time it will be interesting to see how many are willing to pay for a service they like. It would give me more confidence that it is worthwhile putting an effort into new non-free add-on services for my pool. Either way, very interesting weeks ahead.
donator
Poor impulse control.
August 12, 2012, 06:16:35 AM
I said when you weren't watching Tongue
lol

Argh! You're psychic.
vip
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
August 12, 2012, 05:55:24 AM
point one is why I'm interested too see what happens
point two - yep

I said when you weren't watching Tongue
lol
donator
Poor impulse control.
August 12, 2012, 05:09:29 AM
Sorry folks - there was an error in my stats for BTCGuild. The updated results are now correct.

thanks again ooc
will be watching closely over the next few weeks Wink

Always glad to see that someone is watching! It will be interesting to see if there is any significant drop in hashrate after the new Ozcoin fee. My guess is that it won't be a significant drop in hashrate, if any at all.

I actually look forward to the weekly update - saves me a little time clicking around the pools to see what they say + well presented comparisons  Grin

um yer the "f" word - it will be interesting to see how the "proxy/pool" miners will react I think that will have biggest influence on hashrate Smiley

Well, the proxy pools can try the smaller fee-free pools, but how will most react to a massive influx of hashrate? That will require more maintenance, and show up problems of which they might not yet be aware.

Besides, as another miner mentioned elsewhere, if proxies aren't contributing then your donating miners are subsidising them. In a way it's something like pool hopping, in that some miners are getting better value for shares than others. Call it "fee hopping". A fee levels the playing field, and it's something pool ops of fee-free pools  should consider carefully.

I'll drop a little something in your wallet when you aren't looking again
cheers man Smiley

Thanks Graet. I'm up against my maximum at my free imgur account, so every bit helps Smiley
vip
August 12, 2012, 03:02:40 AM
Sorry folks - there was an error in my stats for BTCGuild. The updated results are now correct.

thanks again ooc

I actually look forward to the weekly update - saves me a little time clicking around the pools to see what they say + well presented comparisons  Grin

um yer the "f" word - it will be interesting to see how the "proxy/pool" miners will react I think that will have biggest influence on hashrate Smiley

I'll drop a little something in your wallet when you aren't looking again
cheers man Smiley
donator
Poor impulse control.
August 12, 2012, 12:58:06 AM

thanks again ooc

vip
August 12, 2012, 12:56:00 AM
thanks again ooc
donator
Poor impulse control.
August 12, 2012, 12:20:44 AM
    Highlights:
  • Deepbit's hashrate and percentage of network hashrate both dropped this week.
  • Ozcoin, Mt. Red, Bitminter and Itzod again increased their proportion of the network hashrate.
  • P2Pool's luck index and normalised shares per round continue to be better than average, now for the last five weeks (although only slightly better than average this week).

Weekly average pool statistics, 12th August:

[/list]
donator
Poor impulse control.
August 05, 2012, 10:10:45 PM
Any plans to add bonds for smaller pools like p2pool?

2*8 btc cost to set up the A and B bonds on GLBSE is a bit steep for smaller pools. I'll be happy to arrange insurance privately if any miners want it - just PM me.

Activity: 270
Merit: 250
August 05, 2012, 05:06:12 PM
Any plans to add bonds for smaller pools like p2pool?
vip
August 05, 2012, 01:30:05 AM
Thanks, Graet. I'm glad you find it useful.
I look forward to the new instalment every week (no more of those holiday thinks mmmmmk? Grin )
Dont always post, but do always check it out Smiley
Congrats on hitting second highest hashrate - at current rates of change, you should overtake Deepbit as pool leader in about three months Wink
Thanks  Cheesy
Bigger than Deepbit? Scary thought,
The next 3 months will be interesting times for miners, pools and the network
I hope your charts are still going in 6 months - it will become a very interesting document on Bitcoin mining history I feel Smiley
best
G
donator
Poor impulse control.
August 05, 2012, 12:50:52 AM
Thanks, Graet. I'm glad you find it useful.

Congrats on hitting second highest hashrate - at current rates of change, you should overtake Deepbit as pool leader in about three months Wink
vip
August 05, 2012, 12:33:42 AM
wow more stats added every week
nice work occ
cheers
donator
Poor impulse control.
August 04, 2012, 11:55:41 PM
    Highlights:
  • Percentage of weekly orphans added. Caution: if only a few blocks were found in a week, only one orphaned block will make a large percentage of orphans.
  • P2Pools orphaned blocks have reduced to zero since changes to the p2Pool client, and Slush has had a significant amount of orphans lately.  
  • Ozcoin now has second highest percentage of network hashrate, with an average of 1718 Ghps and 11.26% of the network hashrate.
  • While most pools hashrates increased significantly, only Ozcoin, Mt. Red, Bitminter and Itzod increased their proportion of the network hashrate.
  • P2Pool's luck index and normalised shares per round have both been much better than average for the last four weeks.

Weekly average pool statistics, 5th August:

[/list]
zvs
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000
https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com
July 30, 2012, 06:12:47 AM
How can round length and luck differ? Having short rounds = being lucky.

Highlights:
  • Note that Deepbit has larger than expected round lengths but also better than expected luck index. This is because for its percentage of the network hashrate, Deepbit found more blocks than expected.

The luck index is a measure of % of network blocks found by a pool compared to it's  % of network hashrate. Deepbit's round length / D = 1.04, but it managed to find more blocks per hash than the network did. In other words, although unlucky in terms of round length, it was relatively lucky compared to the average for all other pools and hashrate contributors.

why is maxbtc always so lucky? 

who is haxx0ring?

You must be looking at someone else's chart. Mine do not show Maxbtc to be luckier than other pools.

SILENCE!!!!!!!111  NO MORE LIES
donator
Poor impulse control.
July 30, 2012, 03:56:52 AM

Highlights:
  • Note that Deepbit has larger than expected round lengths but also better than expected luck index. This is because for its percentage of the network hashrate, Deepbit found more blocks than expected.

The luck index is a measure of % of network blocks found by a pool compared to it's  % of network hashrate. Deepbit's round length / D = 1.04, but it managed to find more blocks per hash than the network did. In other words, although unlucky in terms of round length, it was relatively lucky compared to the average for all other pools and hashrate contributors.

who is haxx0ring?

You must be looking at someone else's chart. Mine do not show Maxbtc to be luckier than other pools.
zvs
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000
https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com
July 29, 2012, 04:56:13 PM

who is haxx0ring?
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1034
Needs more jiggawatts
July 29, 2012, 03:05:19 PM
donator
Poor impulse control.
July 29, 2012, 02:08:58 AM
Highlights:
  • Maxbtc received a lot more hashs than usual and is almost overtaking Eligius.
  • Larger than expected round lengths at DeepBit and Slush means holders of MEI.DEEPBIT.B and MEI.SLUSH.B are getting compensated for poorer than usual earnings.

Weekly average pool statistics, 27th July:

Pages:
Jump to: