Pages:
Author

Topic: What 2.0 Currency will be the most successful? - page 10. (Read 17794 times)

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
BitShares will launch on schedule with enough throughput to support all current needs plus all of Bitcoin and most altcoins combined (if they wanted to move onto our platform for some fiendishly wise reason).

We are still optimizing the network code, which is not part of the blockchain itself, so that in coming months we can continue to scale up to full design specs of 100,000 TPS without even a hard fork.

The test net is where we are doing this optimization, so when you hear about a test "fail" is has nothing to do with what is launching on October 13.  We will have many more such fails on the test net side as we tune up to light speed, but the production blockchain where everybody's funds reside will hum along without breaking a sweat.

From what I read on the blog the benches were done without signature verification. Why would you bench without verification of signatures ?
The actuall speeds will prob be much less impressive unless I missed something (just skimmed the post) or all delegates have an absurd hardware requirements. Even then you'll have a great time putten all those data onto the wire. I'll believe those 100k TPS when I see them. Luckily we probably won't see them anytime soon since there isn't really a need for it.  

Signature verification is parallelizable.  The benchmark is for the One Thread that must remain serial.  With that thread running at warp speed as demonstrated, we can add parallel feeders as the network scales and generates the revenues needed to pay for it.

I'll remind you of the quote often attributed to Bill Gates that, "640 kB ought to be enough for anybody".  Smiley

You still could have benched it with signature verification (done in parallel) to give people an idea of the hardware requirements for such speeds. Now we know that you can process it on a mediocre CPU with signature verification disabled which really doesn't say anything about the real world and is imho mildly interesting at best.
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
BitShares will launch on schedule with enough throughput to support all current needs plus all of Bitcoin and most altcoins combined (if they wanted to move onto our platform for some fiendishly wise reason).

We are still optimizing the network code, which is not part of the blockchain itself, so that in coming months we can continue to scale up to full design specs of 100,000 TPS without even a hard fork.

The test net is where we are doing this optimization, so when you hear about a test "fail" is has nothing to do with what is launching on October 13.  We will have many more such fails on the test net side as we tune up to light speed, but the production blockchain where everybody's funds reside will hum along without breaking a sweat.

From what I read on the blog the benches were done without signature verification. Why would you bench without verification of signatures ?
The actuall speeds will prob be much less impressive unless I missed something (just skimmed the post) or all delegates have an absurd hardware requirements. Even then you'll have a great time putten all those data onto the wire. I'll believe those 100k TPS when I see them. Luckily we probably won't see them anytime soon since there isn't really a need for it.  

Signature verification is parallelizable.  The benchmark is for the One Thread that must remain serial.  With that thread running at warp speed as demonstrated, we can add parallel feeders as the network scales and generates the revenues needed to pay for it.

I'll remind you of the quote often attributed to Bill Gates that, "640 kB ought to be enough for anybody".  Smiley

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

The test net is where we are doing this optimization, so when you hear about a test "fail" is has nothing to do with what is launching on October 13.  We will have many more such fails on the test net side as we tune up to light speed, but the production blockchain where everybody's funds reside will hum along without breaking a sweat.

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1018
I still think there are a lot of misconceptions/issues about Bitshares speed (even disregarding the crazy power box you need to sustain it) and that when it comes to the crunch, it won't perform anywhere near what is claimed.
What BTS are promising is a VISA level of tx speed in a decentralised peer-to-peer network.
This is like saying that you can make a Land Rover as fast as a Bugatti Veyron: maybe you can, but you may have to sacrifice a few safety features.
I agree with you. It’s about time that (BitShares) shows its true potential to Banks and the government by proving to be a fast and efficient system to handle transactions similar or greater than Visa. When Bitshares 2.0 comes out, it could totally rival Visa with its TPS. This is something that Bitcoin should’ve improved in the beginning, but it seems that after all there is going to be a next “Bitcoin 2.0” and that would be Bitshares 2.0 Just my opinion  Grin

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,18727.msg240918.html#msg240918

BitShares is only able to hit these incredible speeds (currently 1000tps on testnet) because they require the users to be policically active by making them vote on stuff like "block times" and "miner compensation"

Without taxing BTS users to secure the system with their opinions, these "Visa Speeds" would not be possible.

However, what sets the typical BitShares user apart from the rest is that BTS community members actually like having the ability to vote on things like:

What should the block time be?
How many miners should we allow?
What should we do with the mining profits: 1)let them keep some 2)burn some 3)reinvest some into new developments (and, of course, what should those new developments be?)?

The bottom line is that if you hate voting for stuff, then BitShares is probably not for you.

Didn't the network die after only a few peaks of ~1000 tps?  That is not very encouraging for a platform that is purported to support 100,000 tps and is being launched in a week!

Spam testing is something we've been doing since the start, not a week before launch...pushing the boundaries of where it breaks, making the network resilient to bursts and as such we can handle massive spikes (5k tps+ per channel) and continue on happily.

Where I can buy eMunie?  Smiley

Yes, BitShares test network has a problems but as I know it's not connected to the peaks of transactions, it's more connected to transactions itselfs, if you interesting about what happened, you can check here: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,18717.0.html

If not, just read BitShares thread here and you will be updated about all fails and successes of BitShares  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1016
I still think there are a lot of misconceptions/issues about Bitshares speed (even disregarding the crazy power box you need to sustain it) and that when it comes to the crunch, it won't perform anywhere near what is claimed.
What BTS are promising is a VISA level of tx speed in a decentralised peer-to-peer network.
This is like saying that you can make a Land Rover as fast as a Bugatti Veyron: maybe you can, but you may have to sacrifice a few safety features.
I agree with you. It’s about time that (BitShares) shows its true potential to Banks and the government by proving to be a fast and efficient system to handle transactions similar or greater than Visa. When Bitshares 2.0 comes out, it could totally rival Visa with its TPS. This is something that Bitcoin should’ve improved in the beginning, but it seems that after all there is going to be a next “Bitcoin 2.0” and that would be Bitshares 2.0 Just my opinion  Grin

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,18727.msg240918.html#msg240918

BitShares is only able to hit these incredible speeds (currently 1000tps on testnet) because they require the users to be policically active by making them vote on stuff like "block times" and "miner compensation"

Without taxing BTS users to secure the system with their opinions, these "Visa Speeds" would not be possible.

However, what sets the typical BitShares user apart from the rest is that BTS community members actually like having the ability to vote on things like:

What should the block time be?
How many miners should we allow?
What should we do with the mining profits: 1)let them keep some 2)burn some 3)reinvest some into new developments (and, of course, what should those new developments be?)?

The bottom line is that if you hate voting for stuff, then BitShares is probably not for you.

Didn't the network die after only a few peaks of ~1000 tps?  That is not very encouraging for a platform that is purported to support 100,000 tps and is being launched in a week!

Spam testing is something we've been doing since the start, not a week before launch...pushing the boundaries of where it breaks, making the network resilient to bursts and as such we can handle massive spikes (5k tps+ per channel) and continue on happily.

Activity: 114
Merit: 10
“Create Your Decentralized Life”
NEM !!!

VC
INCUBATOR
MAKOTO!!!!
PhD Devs

the real deal!!!

Their marketing head is also a professor in Korea.  NEM could very well be the most academic and credentialed team in crypto.
Activity: 375
Merit: 250
NXT and NEM are both good choices.
My vote is for the NEM blockchain platform with Proof-of-Importance, EigenTrust++, delegated harvesting and m-of-n multisig.

editable m of n multisigs
Activity: 375
Merit: 250
NEM !!!

VC
INCUBATOR
MAKOTO!!!!
PhD Devs

the real deal!!!
Activity: 854
Merit: 1009
JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK
My vote is for the NEM blockchain platform with Proof-of-Importance, EigenTrust++, delegated harvesting and m-of-n multisig.

I dont get why is that so sophisticated to have that algorithm.

It may prove to be useful later, but at the moment they dont have lightweight client, which is a big down for me.

I like Supernet for NXT they made it very elegantly and it is really for small users.
Activity: 104
It's starting to see like a race to the bottom for most projects :p
I'm really going to have to start using the [sarcasm] and [/sarcasm] switches.......

legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

I agree with you. It’s about time that crypto shows its true potential to Banks and the government by proving to be a fast and efficient system to handle transactions similar or greater than Visa. When Bitshares 2.0 comes out, it could totally rival Visa with its TPS. This is something that Bitcoin should’ve improved in the beginning, but it seems that after all there is going to be a next “Bitcoin 2.0” and that would be Bitshares 2.0 Just my opinion  Grin

Absolutely... for one thing, I think there should always be a gold standard that currencies can judge their price on (Bitcoin). But along with that, there needs to be a coin that boast increased security features (Monero) and a coin that will literally put Visa out of business (Possibly eMunie?)... There can't be one coin that could "do it all", I think that would be impossible... but if those two entities were to work together, and allow more of a choice on which coin they want to get, based on what kind of transactions they want to do (fast or private) then cryptos could potentially have a chance to be reached by the masses.
Activity: 38
Merit: 0
Gridcoin is the most undervalued next-generation blockchain out there...

Radical Innovation - Sustainable Cryptocurrency for Scientific Progress
http://imgur.com/12gxxps
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1363
www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games
Why no one here has posted about Monero? I think this would be a good candidate for discussion, because a lot of people sure do like talking about it and has always had a consistent following over the past year.

Other than that NXT might be a good choice as well... Another coin I just was looking into was eMunie (which hasn't been released yet) that shows a real potential of being, literally, the fastest coin to be put on the market.

The thread for that is here:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/emunie-the-fastest-crypto-currency-1191535

Not fastest, but probably eMunie will be good technology after it's will be finally released https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.12550689
PS: Unfortunately I lost patience of eMunue one year ago after waiting public beta release for 3-4 months

We'll see! I still think there are a lot of misconceptions/issues about Bitshares speed (even disregarding the crazy power box you need to sustain it) and that when it comes to the crunch, it won't perform anywhere near what is claimed.

As soon as we have enough testers available to push a few 100,000k tx/s I'll be sure to update everyone here.  Problem is, we need about 500 nodes online to do that on a fully partitioned network (assuming each node can generate ~300-400 tx/s) and we don't have a pool of testers which is that large.  Maybe I should start recruiting again soon Smiley

I get the patience thing, but would you rather a sloppy, cut corner, pile of shit but out the door quick product?  Or a good quality, performs as claimed, solid product with real innovation?   So much stuff is released here with issues, silly mistakes, and other shoddy implementations of ideas just to make a quick buck.

You could put it that way, being the polite dude that you are  Cool

Still, it's going to be fun to watch, as long as you stand well back.

I agree with you. It’s about time that crypto shows its true potential to Banks and the government by proving to be a fast and efficient system to handle transactions similar or greater than Visa. When Bitshares 2.0 comes out, it could totally rival Visa with its TPS. This is something that Bitcoin should’ve improved in the beginning, but it seems that after all there is going to be a next “Bitcoin 2.0” and that would be Bitshares 2.0 Just my opinion  Grin
Why no one here has posted about Monero? I think this would be a good candidate for discussion, because a lot of people sure do like talking about it and has always had a consistent following over the past year.

Other than that NXT might be a good choice as well... Another coin I just was looking into was eMunie (which hasn't been released yet) that shows a real potential of being, literally, the fastest coin to be put on the market.

Not fastest, but probably eMunie will be good technology after it's will be finally released https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.12550689
PS: Unfortunately I lost patience of eMunue one year ago after waiting public beta release for 3-4 months

We'll see! I still think there are a lot of misconceptions/issues about Bitshares speed (even disregarding the crazy power box you need to sustain it) and that when it comes to the crunch, it won't perform anywhere near what is claimed.

As soon as we have enough testers available to push a few 100,000k tx/s I'll be sure to update everyone here.  Problem is, we need about 500 nodes online to do that on a fully partitioned network (assuming each node can generate ~300-400 tx/s) and we don't have a pool of testers which is that large.  Maybe I should start recruiting again soon Smiley

I get the patience thing, but would you rather a sloppy, cut corner, pile of shit but out the door quick product?  Or a good quality, performs as claimed, solid product with real innovation?   So much stuff is released here with issues, silly mistakes, and other shoddy implementations of ideas just to make a quick buck.

You could put it that way, being the polite dude that you are  Cool

Still, it's going to be fun to watch, as long as you stand well back.
Activity: 89

Hit me up if you need testers. I'm always up for testing new stuff.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1016

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1018

Pages:
Jump to: