Pages:
Author

Topic: What are the biggest mistakes you've done with Bitcoin? - page 10. (Read 18180 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 502
Doesn't use these forums that often.
I thought 'Ah, yay, Bitcoin! I've got 5BTC and I'll go spending crazy.'
~ few years later ~
What!! Bitcoin's worth $141??? AAARRRGHH!!
t3c
Activity: 23
Merit: 0
Starting in 2010 but then went RTW so couldn't mine whilst away easily
Starting again in late 2011 and realising that i didn't have enough GPU power to hand to make it worthwhile initially
Not buying the 100 coins i would've bought in Oct 2012 had my boiler not blown up that very same week.

Onwards and upwards, 1000 USD a coin soon right?  Wink
Activity: 285
Merit: 250
Stopped mining in 09 the same day I started becasue BTC was worthless and I didn't make any coins in an hour or so..

Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020

3.) Not selling a single coin in the 2011 bubble.
To buy back at lower prices. Hmm, this one seems to remind me of something............

I can just imagine a this post in six months with people say "If *only* I sold at $134!!" with the price being ~$10 Cheesy
Or the other way round. Unbelievable how people are still buying at 139+$
Activity: 626
Merit: 500
https://satoshibet.com
Trusting cloud wallets Smiley
Activity: 57

To buy back at lower prices. Hmm, this one seems to remind me of something............

I can just imagine a this post in six months with people say "If *only* I sold at $134!!" with the price being ~$10 Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020
1.) Installed the client some time around December 2010. Set it to "mine". It made my laptop go loud and hot. Nothing else happened for the 30 seconds my patience lasted. Deinstalled it right away thinking there was no point to it at all. Had I only started GPU mining right away... it was hilariously profitable back then.

Took me several month to randomly bump into Bitcoin again and finally understand it's implications.

2.) GLBSE
Peter Lambert and his LIF stuff.
Some other company that I really deserved to loose on.
Zipconf (Still think it was a good idea)

legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029
Not getting into the mining business in 2011. My motherboard is an old one, without PCI-E sockets, and I didn't want to renew the whole computer since it worked (and works) fine.
Activity: 218
Merit: 100
Firstbits: 19e3fc
Gambled 1btc away. Yet my biggest mistake. I don't consider missed opportunities mistakes though.
Activity: 471
Merit: 256
Paying for mining equipment in bitcoin instead of USD. But that is circumstantial. Had BTC gone down in price, I would have been better off. I admit I had less confidence in the system back then.
I am also not a large risk taker to I wanted to keep my risk within the bitcoin ecosystem.

Even earlier on, forgot the password to my first wallet containing 3BTC. Then found out that I had also lost the wallet.dat file when I tried to look for it this year.
Activity: 57
1) Not mining harder two years ago, I bought 1x5770 when I had space fro 3x ( I didn't realise I sould use PCIe 1x with a riser)
2) Not discovering Bitcoin 6 months earlier
3) Not mining in winter of 2012

Could have been rich.... now I've only got pocket money
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Correct Horse Battery Staple
Spending BTC100,000 on a few pizza's. It's not the $14M I would now have that bothers me. It's just that I can't lose the extra fat and love handles I now have.  Undecided
donator
Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008
BITCOINICA
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
Drunk Posts
lost a 5k+ btc wallet to a hard drive way back when
bitcoinica
pirate
bad trades
satoshidice
cashing out 5% at 32
the list goes on, but I'm still in an ok place, and far better off than I would be if I never got in.

Activity: 812
Merit: 587
Space Lord
Selling at $30 and not mining when Bitcoin was just introduced.
Activity: 70
Lost 7,4 BTC to a thief. I was stupid enough to keep a hot wallet in a windows machine.

How exactly was the machine hacked?

I am still unable to figure it out. I have installed an antivirus (avast) but it found no trojans yet. The BTC was stolen yesterday, I think the wallet might have been purloined sometime last month.

Your mistake and mine the same. I didn't find your transaction on the address mine went to (thought it might be related). There are two other people who had 9+ BTC go there. I was being lazy/distracted about putting my BTC on an offline computer BIG MISTAKE - take heed all ye noobs!
Activity: 252
Played satoshidice
legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276
Lost 25 BTC by sending to what I thought was my instawallet... But it wasn't. Instawallet is just a bit richer because of my stupidity.

Lost 20 BTC by sending to what I always considered to be ~davout's wallet...like every instawallet.  Hoped he and his had the skill to keep them from getting stolen (what with his mainstream bank operation and all) and the integrity to not steal them himself.  But hope is well known to be a lousy strategy.  I hope now that he can get them back on-line and under my control.  If not, I never relinquish control of more BTC than I can afford to lose and chuckle about a bit in the process.

The 50-ish BTC I sent to my instawallet as pocket change were worth about $150 worth when I put them there, and it has been quite convenient over the 1.5 years.  The 40-ish remaining suddenly became worth more than I wanted to chuckle about losing so I sent half to Mt. Gox a few days ago.  Lucky timing.

Instawallet made it a point to advertise as being for spending money and had only modest security.  That was front and center on page...or at least it was at one time.  I've go no complaints about losing it, but ~davout and crew need to accept their black-eye like men if they end up losing these funds.  He is not shy about calling others out for being clowns.  OTOH, I've not seen much from him lately so he is probably either really busy...or retired comfortably in the Bahamas.

Activity: 900
Merit: 1014
advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe
Lost 7,4 BTC to a thief. I was stupid enough to keep a hot wallet in a windows machine.

How exactly was the machine hacked?

I am still unable to figure it out. I have installed an antivirus (avast) but it found no trojans yet. The BTC was stolen yesterday, I think the wallet might have been purloined sometime last month.
Why do you think it was stolen last month? Was it an encrypted wallet?
Activity: 294
I bought a butter fly labs single for 1333 instead of buying 1333 worth of bitcoin  (at the time btc price = $15)
Pages:
Jump to: