Pages:
Author

Topic: What are the biggest mistakes you've done with Bitcoin? - page 11. (Read 18180 times)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
1) leaving some btc in instawallet.  no word yet from them on how serious their security breach was and if our coins are safe.  that might end up being a mistake for me, hopefully not though.

2) thinking i knew how to day trade. luckily i only lost a very small amount but the constant small loses made me realize i dont know enough to be playing that game

3) thinking bitcoin was really awesome 3 years ago but never jumping on board until recently. that one really hurts.
donator
Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008
Purchasing a BFL with bitcoin early.  If I make back 30% of what I paid for it I'll be happy.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006
Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Lost 7,4 BTC to a thief. I was stupid enough to keep a hot wallet in a windows machine.

How exactly was the machine hacked?

I am still unable to figure it out. I have installed an antivirus (avast) but it found no trojans yet. The BTC was stolen yesterday, I think the wallet might have been purloined sometime last month.
Activity: 900
Merit: 1014
advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe
Lost 7,4 BTC to a thief. I was stupid enough to keep a hot wallet in a windows machine.

How exactly was the machine hacked?
Activity: 32
Merit: 0
Discover Bitcoin Two years later  Sad
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006
Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
Cashed out all my casascius coins (50 BTC worth) at $27 to pay some debts.

some debts..

sent 45BTC to an anonymous mixer on TOR.. they never returned

Ouch. Was it a well known one?
Activity: 247
Cosmic Cubist
Accidentally received coins from a friend to a bit-bill in my (physical, leather, back-pocket) wallet whose private key I had previously posted on my blog as an example.  The coins got swept after only 1 or 2 confirmations.  Fortunately it was only lunch money (although someday it might be worth a few solar systems).
Activity: 490

some debts..

sent 45BTC to an anonymous mixer on TOR.. they never returned
Activity: 588
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
Activity: 336
yung lean
used 120 btc to pay my phone bill back when they were 75 cents.
Activity: 54
Merit: 0
got ripped off for a product that never arrived.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1722
Paid a hooker from addresses that had lots of Satoshi Dice Dust in it without a fee.  Took so long to confirm i fell asleep.  Hooker stole my car!  Woke up with blue balls.

Activity: 364
Paid a hooker from addresses that had lots of Satoshi Dice Dust in it without a fee.  Took so long to confirm i fell asleep.  Hooker stole my car!  Woke up with blue balls.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
Nothing.

I regret no decision although if I had the chance to go back knowing what I know now about the future I would have done a few things differently obviously, but given the information I had at the time I think I made good choices all around, choices that were based on empirical evidence and sound conservative reasoning.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1001
Unlimited Free Crypto
Formatted a hard drive with unbacked-up 10BTC wallet........ confident that I would find a backup of it someday....... someday..... Cry
Activity: 267
Lost about 200BTC on GLBSE  Cry
Activity: 406
I learnt a valuable lesson, it's rare that any investment can beat price fluctuation of Btc itself, the few that do, you lucky if you ever notice it.
Amen brother
Activity: 434
In Hashrate We Trust!
As the topic says, What are the biggest mistakes you've done with Bitcoin?

I'm trying to gather just a list on things that have gone wrong. This can be terrible backup stories, client hacks, reversing at MtGox and such.
I don't want to gather a list of hacks of commercial sites in particular because there are plenty of information on that already.

I will post everything I find on this very simple website:
http://sites.google.com/site/whoissatoshi/bitcoin-mistakes

Don't be shy!

My greatest mistakes:

1) Did not buy any when it still was cheap arount 5$

2) Did not buy any when it was rallying over 10$

3) Did not buy any when it was rallying over old ATH 32$

and so on...

So I will prepare for the next dip - I will fund my Mt Gox account and buy lots of coins if and when we get 20-30$
Activity: 476
Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.
Since getting involved in bitcoin I made 2 pretty big mistakes;

Selling a large portion of my bitcoin stash, when it was worth £9.
It's true I needed the money, unforeseeable situation meant the bitcoins I held, was a big life line to me.
Then to watch it jump upto £75+ over the next few months.
It just hurts to realise if I could of held out, I'd be have 8x that figure, which I admit I might of been able to do.

My other big mistake was "gambling/investing" with my bitcoins via assets on GLBSE.
The only upside is ASICMiner (investment) turned out so profitable it made up all my loses in all the assets which didn't.
I learnt a valuable lesson, it's rare that any investment can beat price fluctuation of Btc itself, the few that do, you lucky if you ever notice it.
Pages:
Jump to: