Pages:
Author

Topic: What cryptocurrency do you have the most faith in the long term? - page 14. (Read 20454 times)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
21 million. I want them all.
Bitcoin's gotta succeed for anything else on that list to succeed.

can you explain why?

If it can be shown that a solid cryptocurrency with 98% (nearly total) marketshare such as bitcoin, with it's corresponding network effect, can fail..  the idea that artificially scarce code can reliably store value will have been permanently shattered. So when the new king is crowned with 60% marketshare, people are not going to buy it, literally and figuratively.

i see your point but i think you paint it a bit too black. After all bitcoin was no 'store of value' - if it would have been that, we would now not be in this miserable situation. You talk about 'artificial scarcity' but bitcoin was not and for a long time will not be 'scarce' - that's the main problem.

Maybe not one but 3 or 4 kings are crowned? People have a choice and the best wins. Like a horse race. People will understand that and crypto will be treated for what it is: a risky investement in a new tech. One or two decades down the road things may be more manifested. I don't see a problem with abandoning bitcoin at all. Not abandoning it would cause a fail of the whole industry. Bitcoin can still hold a decent marketcap without being the primary coin. It's the free market and evolution - there's nothing wrong with that and it's authentic. Nothing will be shattered. Forcing a coin onto people that is nonsense from an economic and also from a darwinistic standpoint is BS. If bitcoin after this past years performance would remain number 1 all this industry would have lost credibility.
We have learned a few lessons from it so it was good.
Time to move on ...
protip:
Next time use a coin that doesn't dump all year long so the point with the 'artificial scarce code' can be made once again.
It's an evolving, evolutionary process. Believing something else is madness.

Nothing is set in stone.

"Panta rhei" my friend. You would be surprised to hear all these 'permabulls' were selling all the time while telling you how bitcoin will be the big thing. Only trust your own judgement - never let yourself be influenced by what others say because they sell you all kinds of bullshit. Bitcoin-pumpers are no exception.

I think we basically agree. I don't think bitcoin can fail as in go to zero for no good reason and be replaced by another big (billion dollar) cryptocurrency and so on in a cycle of total failure after succession after total failure. I think succession in cryptocurrency has to mirror the example of empires in world hisgtory.

The Roman empire can wane, and the Holy Roman Empire can replace it but Italian powers are still a thing. Still a force to be reckoned with.

The British empire can wane and America rises but the United Kingdom is still a thing. It's still a force.

Every dynasty in China claims to hold the "heavenly mandate." The divine right to rule. Legitimacy.

As you said, you can have bitcoin wane and lose marketshare to some novel, useful technologies, but it'll still be considered a success if it survives and holds a decent marketcap.

But if bitcoin fails completely, then I believe that the legitimacy of cryptocurrency is irredeemably compromised. And that's what I mean. If bitcoin's not a success, nothing will be a success. Every novel blockchain-based cryptocurrency is flowing forth from the tradition of bitcoin.

Move On !!!!!!
legendary
Activity: 938
Clams.. among a few other proof of stake coins..

Was a fair initial distribution model (if you had btc, ltc or doge back around May, odds are you have clams!),
has good control of inflation and becoming accepted at more places.

Go clams!

legendary
Activity: 2124
Merit: 1013
K-ing®
NEM
and
SUPERNET
Activity: 84
Merit: 11

Seems to me the writers of this article have only chosen the coins they like to promote!   Grin

No single word about NXT or NEM or another faithful venture.

coindesk is biased. Listening to them has always been a way to loose money. They are the same as the bitcoin-pumpers. They tell you in their articles what they have their money on  Roll Eyes
If they don't have a stake in it, they don't write about it. Pretty useless website if you ask me.
You can use them as a sellindicator like the blonde on twitter. When they start to hype a coin it's time to get out normally.
Pretty sure they can be bribed too.
Activity: 678
Merit: 500

can you explain why?

If it can be shown that a solid cryptocurrency with 98% (nearly total) marketshare such as bitcoin, with it's corresponding network effect, can fail..  the idea that artificially scarce code can reliably store value will have been permanently shattered. So when the new king is crowned with 60% marketshare, people are not going to buy it, literally and figuratively.

i see your point but i think you paint it a bit too black. After all bitcoin was no 'store of value' - if it would have been that, we would now not be in this miserable situation. You talk about 'artificial scarcity' but bitcoin was not and for a long time will not be 'scarce' - that's the main problem.

Maybe not one but 3 or 4 kings are crowned? People have a choice and the best wins. Like a horse race. People will understand that and crypto will be treated for what it is: a risky investement in a new tech. One or two decades down the road things may be more manifested. I don't see a problem with abandoning bitcoin at all. Not abandoning it would cause a fail of the whole industry. Bitcoin can still hold a decent marketcap without being the primary coin. It's the free market and evolution - there's nothing wrong with that and it's authentic. Nothing will be shattered. Forcing a coin onto people that is nonsense from an economic and also from a darwinistic standpoint is BS. If bitcoin after this past years performance would remain number 1 all this industry would have lost credibility.
We have learned a few lessons from it so it was good.
Time to move on ...
protip:
Next time use a coin that doesn't dump all year long so the point with the 'artificial scarce code' can be made once again.
It's an evolving, evolutionary process. Believing something else is madness.

Nothing is set in stone.

"Panta rhei" my friend. You would be surprised to hear all these 'permabulls' were selling all the time while telling you how bitcoin will be the big thing. Only trust your own judgement - never let yourself be influenced by what others say because they sell you all kinds of bullshit. Bitcoin-pumpers are no exception.

can you explain why?

If it can be shown that a solid cryptocurrency with 98% (nearly total) marketshare, with it's corresponding network effect and fearsome hashrate, can fail..  the idea that artificially scarce code can reliably store value will have been permanently shattered.

So when the new king is crowned with 60% marketshare, people are not going to buy it, literally and figuratively.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
http://bitswift.io/

Bitswift by a MILE...this coin has tons going for it and devs are working hard behind the scenes.  So much coming out in the coming month(s), it will put most other coins to shame (almost does already lol).

Buy and hold, it's only going up...they're making sure of that Wink.

Don't say I didn't give you a heads up.

can you explain why?
Activity: 784
You forgot BitShares !

At least check out coinmarketcap next time.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0

Seems to me the writers of this article have only chosen the coins they like to promote!   Grin

No single word about NXT or NEM or another faithful venture.
Activity: 574

My favourite bit was the detail.
Activity: 456
Merit: 250

NXT is a fcking joke, the coin has a shady background, accused of scams, definitely not something worth looking into in 2015 and it has been around for a long time and didn't really got traction besides having annoying nxt trolls. lol at nxt sock puppets up voting the first comment.
Activity: 462

I was surprised to see that NXT isn't mentioned there but I guess everyone already knows about it now. He talks about NXT in this article which explores the same theme.
Activity: 1540
Activity: 462
I'm surprised that BitSharesX isn't on that list because it's one of the biggest players in the 2.0 game. It's original source so it isn't based on Bitcoin. It has market-pegged assets, DACs, and a unique proof-of-stake design.
Pages:
Jump to: