Pages:
Author

Topic: What happened to the forum plagiarism rules? - page 4. (Read 1397 times)

Activity: 2296
Merit: 755
Bitcoin = Financial freedom
If I am not wrong in the past if a newbie copy paste from an existing post or even if they are spamming they will be nuked but it depends on who handles the report since its not a public info we can wait for the mod who handled it to explain the reason of not giving permanent ban.
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 8904
https://bpip.org
This has been going for a year or two now. Very frustrating, especially for complex cases where it's not plain copy-pasta and you have to put a lot of effort into figuring out the origin of plagiarism that's been paraphrased / translated / paywalled / etc. Somehow some users are getting a pass even after multiple reports.
legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 5364
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
Dear moderators, can I ask you what the latest plagiarism rules are?

I wonder the same, because I also reported some of the people you caught plagiarizing and the reports remained unhandled, and those same members continue to plagiarize and paraphrase. I have also noticed that a much larger number of reports have remained unhandled in the past 2-3 weeks, although they are quite clear and unambiguous, and it is not clear to me why they are being avoided.
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 4265
✿♥‿♥✿
Did you report the posts directly (using "Report to moderator"), or only post the plagiarism in my topic? In my experience, reporting the posts results in quicker action than just posting in the topic.

Yes, sure. When I report, I always press the button with sending to moderators. For me, it has always worked flawlessly. Therefore, I wonder what I'm doing wrong because I don't see the results.
This is very frustrating.
legendary
Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824
My guess is, the forum lost so much traffic they can't afford to ban people anymore. When this forum was having its golden years, they would ban you for committing plagiarism forever. As always, once you bend a rule a little bit, soon that rule is gone completely. This is what we are experiencing here probably. It is becoming worse every day.

You may be right, but only admins can answer that question.
After all, permaban lately has not been as “perma” as it was in the beginning.
As far as I remember, at first it was impossible to remove permaban and later exceptions from permaban were allowed, and at the end even removing permaban became almost common.
Perhaps we are now looking at a new phase of punishing members, where the first warning is given through a temporary ban, and no more through permaban?
This is a big change compared to the cases we had before on this forum, like the one from RegulusHr (https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ban-appeal-regulushr-and-discussion-on-topic-good-for-the-forum-as-a-whole-5097792), who had to wait two years for his permaban to be forgiven, with the overwhelming support of the local community.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
Did you report the posts directly (using "Report to moderator"), or only post the plagiarism in my topic? In my experience, reporting the posts results in quicker action than just posting in the topic.
legendary
Activity: 3052
Merit: 2313
My guess is, the forum lost so much traffic they can't afford to ban people anymore. When this forum was having its golden years, they would ban you for committing plagiarism forever. As always, once you bend a rule a little bit, soon that rule is gone completely. This is what we are experiencing here probably. It is becoming worse every day.
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 3817
🪸 NotYourKeys.org 🪸
We're in a bear market mate, even the moderators themselves have been shaken out of the markets/s

In all seriousness, I think I've been seeing plagiarism posts a lot more rarely recently compared to years ago, hence why I thought the moderators were actually far stricter now. Didn't know they increased their leniency.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1224
'Life's but a walking shadow'!
I might seem to understand why the forum tries to handle these newbies or beilginners with some tenderness and give a temporal ban but I say this, it makes no difference from a permanent ban and I think the permanent ban is much more effective.
Correct me if i am wrong, i thought leniency as regards plagiarism more often than not applies to established users/users that have been here for quite a while and have contributed in one way or another, and thus if a misdemeanor they committed sometime past is found, then they could be given another chance, and if need be, maybe an addition of a signature ban or something of that sort.

Do newbies also get such chances? And is it on the basis that they are new and prolly didn't pay cognizance to the forum rules, especially that which has to do with "do not plagiarise"? I am unaware of temporary ban being given to newbies in cases of plagiarism, well if that is the case, i am pretty sure a mod will clear the air and the reason why.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1108
Just my personal opinion, it's plagiarism. Two people may have the same thought but it is unlikely (nearly impossible) to describe the thought in the same exact words in one place. And from his post history, before voting he never wrote the word "1xbit", which means there is no supporting reason for the vote given (unless he has an implied reason).

Thanks, I think I'll send a report to his post. Let's see what the moderator decides.
I've gone through a few of these and on the count of the quite above, non of these guys as presented by Lovesmayfamilis, all these guys are defaulters and guilty of the plagiarism rule and as such, its only expected that the rule applies. I might seem to understand why the forum tries to handle these newbies or beilginners with some tenderness and give a temporal ban but I say this, it makes no difference from a permanent ban and I think the permanent ban is much more effective.

When these newbies arr given a permanent ban, it sends a direct message on how strict is the forums stands on this rule. With the rules being clearly stated in the pinned post, ignorance is not much of an excuse. Most of all, when these users gets a banned, they still go about creating alts of which, they are very much aware of what would become of there alt should they plagiarise. It only takes the foolish once to be follow the same part and not expect the same harhness.

Perhaps the moderators have there reasons for which, it could be let known to ensure clarity and so, those taking up this course to ensure the purification of the forum and that the rules are adhered to would be at peace that they aren't doing these things for nothing. Forum rules comes first and enforcing it is what would give the forum its integrity.
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 4265
✿♥‿♥✿
Dear moderators, can I ask you what the latest plagiarism rules are?
I have reported several cases of plagiarism, but no action has been taken on them so far.
Yes, I see that you began to give temporary bans to beginners (if I'm not mistaken). Then let's make it known to everyone that if you are a newbie, you have the right to copy anything you want.
In addition, the forum strives to provide unique content, so why aren't cases of plagiarism even removed?
And another question, how many times can newbies have cases of copying so that punishment will apply to it?

Plagiarism  paraphrasing
User: wtsimis
Post link: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.59003179
(archive)

Pages:
Jump to: