Pages:
Author

Topic: What Is A Social Justice Warrior (SJW)? - page 14. (Read 43299 times)

legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1123
In theory they present "equality" but in practice they hold some factions more equal then others. Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
minds.com/Wilikon

British Researcher Picks Exactly the Wrong Video Game to Push Her White Privilege Theories

Here is the background: National Review came across a Ms. Victoria Cooper, who wrote a paper called Playing Politics: Exploring Nationalism and Conservatism in Fantasy Video Games. It is… well, like many papers of this type, it reads like the conclusion (white people play games to reinforce their white privilege, when they’re not just outright racists) was decided upon first, and only then was the data supporting that conclusion assembled.  This is both expected, and not really relevant in the long term (the vast majority of scholarship these days typically ends up gasping out its life in a narrow, dusty room); what was unexpected was that apparently a large part of Ms. Cooper’s work revolves around her interpretation of Bethesda Softworks’ Elder Scrolls series. Specifically, Skyrim. The relevant bits:

Video Games and Medieval History: The Elder Scrolls – Skyrim

Skyrim is a massively popular medieval-themed video game. Part of the greater Elder Scrolls  video game series, Skyrim was released in 2011 by Bethesda Game Studios and was a critical success. Cooper’s thesis focused on this game and the way players transpose their heritage and national identity onto the fictitious races of its gaming world. Skyrim is home to the Nords (Stormcloaks), a pseudo-Viking race. Tall, fair-haired, and pale, they are a sea-faring warrior society that values honour, family and glory.

…Cooper suggests that, ‘medievally-themed video games are a space where whiteness can be anchored, in a “happy history” where a world is free of multiculturalism and white guilt’.

Full disclosure: I am not a PhD candidate. What I am, though, is somebody who has logged over 2,500 hours in Skyrim, so I think that I can safely make observations about the basic game. And it would be to my suggestion to Ms. Cooper that she find a different example for white people using a game for a safe space from ‘multiculturalism and white guilt’ than Skyrim. Anybody who plays the game past, say, the introduction knows that one major theme of the game is the Skyrim Civil War. In fact, the game cannot be finished without first resolving the Skyrim Civil War. And the Skyrim Civil War is explicitly couched as being the cosmopolitan, inclusive Empire of Tamriel against the racist, xenophobic Nordic Stormcloaks. Literally the first thing the player sees when he or she enters Windhelm (the Stormcloak’s capital city) for the first time is a mob harassing a Dark Elf over her skin color and refugee status. In short: if you’re looking for a game world ‘free of multiculturalism and white guilt,’ don’t play Skyrim.

http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2015/07/24/video-game-white-privilege-theory/

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
Holy shit, that's insane even by their standards, by the way Japan, now you know what we in the west have been putting up with for so long.
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

Mostly White Social Justice Warriors Invade Museum Of Fine Arts In Boston To Tell Japanese People They Shouldn’t Wear Kimonos

The back story? The museum was holding an exhibit which involved Japanese culture and they invited people to wear kimonos as a way of getting into the exhibits more. A small group of social justice warriors have been showing up protesting the ‘cultural appropriation’ and calling for ‘decolonizing museums’.

Meanwhile people who think this is just stupid, including Japanese people who would like people to have a better understanding of their culture, have been showing up in kimonos to counter-protest.

Delicious irony: a non-Japanese person lecturing a Japanese person (in a kimono) about cultural appropriation of Japanese culture.

http://www.weaselzippers.us/229970-mostly-white-social-justice-warriors-invade-museum-of-fine-arts-in-boston-to-tell-japanese-people-they-shouldnt-wear-kimonos/

------------------------
Cancer.

legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Activity: 784
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
It's very annoying to me that it has become so trendy to be a SJW lately.
"Change makes me feel threatened."

Those being born right now are going to finish off your dying religion, seize and dismantle all your guns, and (transc)end your global economic system.

Suck it up Princess Peach, things change.
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1140
It's very annoying to me that it has become so trendy to be a SJW lately.   No one is allowed to have unpopular opinions anymore.     Everyone is more concerned about sexism, racism, and every other "ism" you can think of than they are with more pressing issues.   We have several REAL global crisis going on right now.   Somehow, being on the brink of cold war V2.0 seems a bit more important than someone hurting my feelings.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 2008
First Exclusion Ever
I would tell you to duck but that one already went right over your head.
You aren't convincing anyone cancer.
Of what, that words have meanings?

legendary
First Exclusion Ever
Voat.co servers shut down by provider hosteurope.de over 'political incorrectness'
The sjw is a very serious and dangerous bunch. Just like cancer.

Social justice is the view that everyone deserves equal economic, political and social rights and opportunities. Social workers aim to open the doors of access and opportunity for everyone, particularly those in greatest need.

Political Correctness is the avoidance, often considered as taken to extremes, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against.

Notice how these are two different things?

You aren't convincing anyone cancer.
Voat.co servers shut down by provider hosteurope.de over 'political incorrectness'

Social justice is the view that everyone deserves equal economic, political and social rights and opportunities. Social workers aim to open the doors of access and opportunity for everyone, particularly those in greatest need.

Political Correctness is the avoidance, often considered as taken to extremes, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against.

Notice how these are two different things?
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

Here is another example of a full frontal sjw attack and war.

Long story short: Some reddit subs got nuked. The people migrated out of reddit and recreated a reddit clone. They felt they were safe, away from the reddit sjw. Nope. Their whole server got nuked too.. From complaints.

https://archive.is/O7QIn

If you want an example of a type of disease sjw is check out that on the point viewpoint video.
There's a difference between SJWs and stupid, brainwashed, misguided, puritanical religious SJWs! As an adult gamer I despise this type of shit.

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
-Robert Heinlein
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

Anita Sarkeesian Attacks Fallout 4 and DOOM 4

If you want an example of a type of disease sjw is check out that on the point viewpoint video. Sadly this metastatic cancer is not just spreading in the gaming industry... There is zero need to play or love games to get what they are after.

A couple of attack vectors are testing bitcointalk.org

legendary
First Exclusion Ever
Ye olde race card, how original.
This is what not having any valid argument looks like. I didn't play any cards, I merely laid out some demographic facts you didn't like. Or rather, you were upset by the obvious implications of these demographics, such as the fact that libertarians are mostly a bunch of privileged conservative white 'murican dudes on the internet.
i know it was not your intend but the whole argument did seem a little bit racially biased to me i mean can you even verify the credibility of all the demographics in the post.
This is the source, http://publicreligion.org/about/, you are free to dispute their credibility if that's your prerogative.
"Public Religion Research Institute (PRRI) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to research at the intersection of religion, values, and public life." I don't see anything about race there, nor do I see anything referencing any actual studies. Without a source to a study, in effect what you are saying is "This group said some thing, and I am repeating it as fact without actually even verifying the data, because I agree with the conclusions." If you don't even know how to source your ideas, or verify the validity of them, why exactly should we take anything you say seriously?
History

Since our founding in 2009, PRRI research has become a standard source of trusted information among journalists, scholars, policy makers, clergy, and the general public. PRRI research has been cited in thousands of media stories and academic publications, and plays a leading role in deepening public understanding of the changing religious landscape and its role in shaping American politics. In addition to our monthly PRRI/RNS Religion News Survey conducted in partnership with Religion News Service and our annual flagship American Values Survey, PRRI conducts a number of major national surveys focused on a range of issues at the intersection of religion, values, and public life. Each year, the PRRI research team also publishes peer review articles based on our research in leading academic journals and books.

http://publicreligion.org/about/

As I said, you are free to make a fool of yourself slandering this organization's legitimacy.

I didn't once claim the organization was illegitimate. I stated the fact that you are not sourcing your information with studies. Simply linking the publisher of the information tells us NOTHING.

Again:

Without a source to a study, in effect what you are saying is "This group said some thing, and I am repeating it as fact without actually even verifying the data, because I agree with the conclusions." If you don't even know how to source your ideas, or verify the validity of them, why exactly should we take anything you say seriously?
This is what not having any valid argument looks like. I didn't play any cards, I merely laid out some demographic facts you didn't like. Or rather, you were upset by the obvious implications of these demographics, such as the fact that libertarians are mostly a bunch of privileged conservative white 'murican dudes on the internet.
i know it was not your intend but the whole argument did seem a little bit racially biased to me i mean can you even verify the credibility of all the demographics in the post.
This is the source, http://publicreligion.org/about/, you are free to dispute their credibility if that's your prerogative.
"Public Religion Research Institute (PRRI) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to research at the intersection of religion, values, and public life." I don't see anything about race there, nor do I see anything referencing any actual studies. Without a source to a study, in effect what you are saying is "This group said some thing, and I am repeating it as fact without actually even verifying the data, because I agree with the conclusions." If you don't even know how to source your ideas, or verify the validity of them, why exactly should we take anything you say seriously?
History

Since our founding in 2009, PRRI research has become a standard source of trusted information among journalists, scholars, policy makers, clergy, and the general public. PRRI research has been cited in thousands of media stories and academic publications, and plays a leading role in deepening public understanding of the changing religious landscape and its role in shaping American politics. In addition to our monthly PRRI/RNS Religion News Survey conducted in partnership with Religion News Service and our annual flagship American Values Survey, PRRI conducts a number of major national surveys focused on a range of issues at the intersection of religion, values, and public life. Each year, the PRRI research team also publishes peer review articles based on our research in leading academic journals and books.

http://publicreligion.org/about/

As I said, you are free to make a fool of yourself slandering this organization's legitimacy.
legendary
First Exclusion Ever
Pages:
Jump to: