Pages:
Author

Topic: What to do after being hacked? - page 5. (Read 933 times)

Activity: 196
Merit: 0
April 30, 2018, 02:31:56 AM
There is only one thing that can be done after the attack and it is waiting. There is nothing more to do than to come from the top of the attackers and wait for him to collect it as soon as possible.
Activity: 476
Merit: 259
April 29, 2018, 01:15:20 PM
Even if you are able to track the transaction you can't really do anything about that as the exchange won't reveal someon's identity without any reason.
On the other hand you can learn from the hack to be more careful next time and to hold your important funds in a cold wallet as you can lose your funds if your reveal your private key online, you can only learn a lesson but you won't be able to return your funds.
Activity: 602
Merit: 295
Hail Eris!
April 29, 2018, 01:12:32 PM
Make sure you change your password on other sites if you happen to use either the same password or variants of the same password.  A very common attack vector is to attempt to use the password from one site after a breach at another site.  For example Bitcointalk was compromised the other year and now anyone who knows anything about purchasing my data in shady ways has the password I used.
Activity: 168
April 29, 2018, 01:10:06 PM
you can track the transaction but you can't get your coins back. if you got hacked, it's your personal fault because blockchain is absolutely safe as long as you have the key. you won't get hacked if you more careful.
Activity: 462
Merit: 260
April 29, 2018, 12:55:02 PM
Hi,

I see a lot of people being hacked or lost money.
I know a transaction is final but can you track them to a exchange?
So you can call the exchange and ask them to hold the wallet or something?

Or can you track them another way?

I hope there will be a good solution for this in crypto.

Yes, you can track it by pasting the wallet address on Blockchain.info or Etherscan if it is an Erc20 token. And the one you can not do is recover it or freeze the wallet because the manufacturer does not control it.

All you have to do to get to it is to know the 64 digit private key of the wallet.
Activity: 756
Merit: 100
April 29, 2018, 12:44:35 PM
I do not think there's any other way to recover a hacked asset because it's a very anonymous cryptocurrency, and it's very difficult to trace, with less than an hour, stolen money being transferred to a fiat account
Activity: 1386
Merit: 101
ComboLabs
April 29, 2018, 10:31:06 AM
Hi,

I recently heard some friends who were hacked for all the assets in their wallets. especially those using MEW
I think it would be very difficult to trace the hacker. I hope there's a lot of renewal and innovation to make it more difficult for hackers to penetrate security. especially that currently happens because dns google has been hacked, the effect of security systems that use the dns are vulnerable stolen
Activity: 672
Merit: 252
Until the end
April 29, 2018, 09:59:08 AM
Hi,

An ounce of prevention is cheaper than a pound of cure.

Good security can help you keep your coins.  Some best practices:

Do not keep all your coins on an exchange - Cryptsy closed shop and took most of the deposits on hand.  The owner ran off with them. He has not been found.

Have a different password for each exchange and email- Should be self explanatory but, if they get the password for one exchange and it's the one you use for everything, you will be wiped out.

Use Two-Factor Authentication - If someone does get your password they will still need to provide the 2FA code from an app or email.

Do not open links from people you don't know - This is a good way to get wiped out.

A short time after Cryptsy closed down someone noticed that there were a lot of Unobtanium for sale on an exchange (Bittrex I think).  Through the UNO block explorer and known addesses they were able to determine that these coins were from Cryptsy.  When Bittrex was made aware of this they locked the wallet down so the coins were safe.  The coins were then transferred to the lawyers handling the class action against Cryptsy.

Activity: 784
Merit: 6
April 29, 2018, 09:40:09 AM
To do his might be difficult. I just thought of something; What about in a case where the plaintiff, is only trying to accuse the second party wrongly. Perhaps the exchange you are reporting to thinks that way. Except in a case where you are able to provide enough proof that truly, you were hacked. Such proves i think will have to come from the wallet providers, that truly you were hacked. Do you even know that, it is possible for one to buy coin in a legitimate way and can still be accused of scam?
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
April 29, 2018, 09:29:17 AM
Hi,

Being hacked means we lost our money and as ordinary person, there is nothing we can do to get it back. Therefore, it will be wise if try to secure our own wallet as secure as possible. It is our own responsible to make it true!
Activity: 392
Merit: 11
April 29, 2018, 09:24:22 AM
Hi,

As far as I know, it's hard to find the solution. Maybe you can track the wallet, but you probably difficult to find the real person of the hacker.
We only can tag the wallet as a hacker address or phishing address.
Activity: 392
Merit: 100
April 23, 2018, 08:13:59 AM
For me, it's so hard to accept the reality since I encounter that my wallet was being hacked and all my important coins was being gotten but others are not, my wallet uses his or her to hack others wallet to do some transactions on the market since it would not be back again I can do is to track transactions.
Activity: 1316
Merit: 356
April 23, 2018, 07:52:25 AM
I know that this incident is so bad and painful like your heart will be broken but you need move forward on this situation because it is only a challenges that came. All of the people has challenges in life and i am the one who testify on that so you need to be strong than being discourage. This thing will be helpful to make you survive in every trials you've cope.
Activity: 128
April 23, 2018, 12:25:45 AM
It is difficult to get money back in your purse when attacked, because if you send in the bank you also have the documents to catch the bank responsible for compensation, or deal with you. But if the money is in your online wallet. You're like a banker, self-managing, self-controlled, it's hard to say who's solving for you, so you should find the safest virtual currency store to avoid hacker attacks.
Activity: 210
April 23, 2018, 12:17:59 AM
I think personally, you can track the address but it is very difficult to know later that exchange if they transfer and exchange it with another coin. And also The best thing to do is learn the lesson and not be in the same situation again.Anything stolen cannot be recovered.
Activity: 568
Merit: 254
April 22, 2018, 09:51:41 PM
Hi,

All you can do is to move on. There is no way to get it back. Even the exchangers cannot something do about it I if it is a successful transaction. It is also hard to prove that you didn't execute the transaction.
Activity: 210
Merit: 3
April 22, 2018, 09:45:27 PM
You can track that address, but you can't recover the lost coin.

I suggest you make a new wallet, make sure the login details are secure, and be more careful to avoid hacking, which is the best solution at the moment.
Activity: 3080
Merit: 603
April 22, 2018, 09:41:26 PM
Yes you can track them if the funds goes through an exchange but it's impossible for an exchange just to give it out to you, they are out of any transactions that was sent to them. You know that crypto transactions are irreversible and there's no way for you to recover it even the exchange will be contacted. They'll just hold the wallet if there's something found that was against to their rules but I doubt it that you can do something to hold that wallet unless you are a VIP.
Activity: 616
Merit: 102
April 22, 2018, 09:36:02 PM
Hi,

I had read about a thread here that you can get back what have been stolen unto you. But the evidence that the stolen funds got back to the owner was not presented. Thus I could not believed it. The best thing to do is to move-on in case your cryptofunds got stolen.
Activity: 508
Merit: 250
In CryptoEnergy we trust
April 22, 2018, 07:51:41 PM
You can track it, but it's very difficult to get it back. The best way after the hacked, you should create a new wallet and change the password, move all assett to the new wallet.
Try to recover through email or change password, but if it's MEW double check if there still left and transfer it to other wallet. Always be careful.
Pages:
Jump to: