Pages:
Author

Topic: What would you do if you received 20 bitcoins? - page 10. (Read 9756 times)

Activity: 386
Merit: 250
Research how to create the first bitcoin accepting arcade device. I would like to retrofit air hockey tables and pinball machines, etc with a device that will accept bitcoins for game play. I would later research soda and vending machines using the same hardware portable module.
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003
Someone may send to the wrong address and could be sad to lose 20 BTC. Absolutely return back to the sending address. Same as pick up a wallet containing cash, card, ID etc, what will you do?

I agree, or at least make an effort to contact the person.

I would wait some days to see if the sender tries to contact me. Since everything is registered on blockchain, he would know how to contact me, unlike someone that lost his wallet. Otherwise I risk send back to an exchange/mixer/betting site/wharever, or refusing a legitimate donation

It's not that easy to contact you unless the address is publicly associated with your identity. They could post in the forums, but would they see your post? I did make a lost and found thread for this purpose though: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8305774
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1008
Why not donate to the bitcoin foundation?  Wink
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
I don't think I would return the coins to the owner, probably I would cash them out the day after.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
Call me cynical, but I find it difficult to believe so many of you would really send back the coins.

Checkout the feedback that DannyHamilton left me (the escrow): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=16614

He sent 11.2 BTC to me by accident, I didn't even think a second about keeping it!

That's really nice of you, but I'm still skeptical that a lot of people replying here would actually do what they say and return the coins.

That is the nature of the bit coin world right now. Being skeptical is a good defense mechanism. It is the same in the fiat world but the theft is systemic.

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
probably hold on to them until the price, hopfully increased enough, then id splash out on a new car and go travelling
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
Some have become way too cheap and it's value is not being recognized.
The value of altcoins is zero. As such, it's impossible for any of them to be undervalued.
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
Hoard some, spend some to buy into some btc businesses
Assuming, my conscience doesn't kick in and I just return the unearned coins
Activity: 756
Merit: 251
Sovryn - 300-500% APY on USDT Deposit
first i'll think who send me that BTC
then i dont care and use that BTC to invest  Wink
Activity: 41
Merit: 0
Your just sitting there and you get a notification that you have received 20 bitcoins out of nowhere. What would you do?
It's great to dream, i would make good days with several girls... Grin
Activity: 98
I would be truly flabbergasted and would wonder where they came from. If the person who sent them really meant to send them or if it was a mistake.
Activity: 79
https://bountyminer.io
I would add it to my own money and I would start my own business  Smiley
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Crypto Knight
Call me cynical, but I find it difficult to believe so many of you would really send back the coins.

Checkout the feedback that DannyHamilton left me (the escrow): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=16614

He sent 11.2 BTC to me by accident, I didn't even think a second about keeping it!

That's really nice of you, but I'm still skeptical that a lot of people replying here would actually do what they say and return the coins.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000
Someone may send to the wrong address and could be sad to lose 20 BTC. Absolutely return back to the sending address. Same as pick up a wallet containing cash, card, ID etc, what will you do?

I agree, or at least make an effort to contact the person.

I would wait some days to see if the sender tries to contact me. Since everything is registered on blockchain, he would know how to contact me, unlike someone that lost his wallet. Otherwise I risk send back to an exchange/mixer/betting site/wharever, or refusing a legitimate donation
Activity: 211
Merit: 100
I Believe
I wish someone sent me that much. I would be rich! haha. But seriously i would send them back if someone made a mistake.
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1032
RIP Mommy
Activity: 868
Merit: 1001
https://keybase.io/masterp FREE Escrow Service

It concerns me that there are thee posts advocating returning the funds to the "sending address," no questions asked.

Bitcoin has no such concept. When you spend Bitcoin, you spend coin outputs. Often, but not always, you must sign the transaction with a specific "address" to spend those outputs. If any type of coin mixing is involved, it may not be clear who the "sender" is. Which of the (for example) 5 "senders" would you return the coins to?

If it was clear who the sender was I'd absolutely return it. Otherwise, I'd make an effort to contact the sender. The reality is that sending it back is probably better than keeping it unless the transaction is so complicated that it could be from anyone. How would you feel if you mistakenly sent 20BTC (don't ask me how).
I agree with this. If I am able to somehow figure out who the sender was then I would return the coins to them, otherwise the coins would be mine for the keeping.
legendary
Better question maybe...
What would you do if you setgenerate true and mined a block with 25 bitcoin after only a few seconds?
Then there's no moral obligation to send it back to anyone, because there's nobody to send it back to (unless you decide to distribute it evenly among everyone who has bitcoin, proportional to the amount they have, but I don't see the purpose in doing that).

Yep, exactly. That would be a much better question!

In that case, I'd probably blow a few, donate a few, and sock away or invest the rest.
Activity: 988
Merit: 1000

It concerns me that there are thee posts advocating returning the funds to the "sending address," no questions asked.

Bitcoin has no such concept. When you spend Bitcoin, you spend coin outputs. Often, but not always, you must sign the transaction with a specific "address" to spend those outputs. If any type of coin mixing is involved, it may not be clear who the "sender" is. Which of the (for example) 5 "senders" would you return the coins to?
I would not advocate blindly sending the coins back to the address that the coins came from, but rather try to find someone who clearly controls the address that the coins came from to see where the coins were intended to go. You are correct that you would never be able to contact the sender if a mixer (or shared send) was used, but other then that you could probably figure out who had sent the coins as they would likely attempt to locate the person they sent the coins to.  
legendary

If it was clear who the sender was I'd absolutely return it. Otherwise, I'd make an effort to contact the sender. The reality is that sending it back is probably better than keeping it unless the transaction is so complicated that it could be from anyone. How would you feel if you mistakenly sent 20BTC (don't ask me how).
Pages:
Jump to: