Author

Topic: Why do Atheists Hate Religion? - page 384. (Read 901341 times)

legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
July 30, 2015, 03:31:59 PM
They must have got to you young.  It's sad to see, but you have the freedom to subscribe to any ideology you wish.

My question is, if you were born 3000 years ago, what would you be referencing for religious guidance?

I read the bible (in college) because I wanted to. I was raised Catholic, and have renounced the Catholic specific teachings. But, I have already asked myself what if God didn't exist, and the answer came back that God does exist. I feel bad for those who have not felt the power that the Holy Spirit gives. I feel bad for those who are still waiting for scientists to teach them about antimatter, when all you really need to know about that is in the bible.

Believing in the bible does not negate belief in scientific studies, no matter what Beliathon likes to say. It augments it.

There are many ways to be spiritual without subscribing to a specific religion.  You can experience it yourself by training and disciplining your mind with an art or meditation, or with psychedelics to get into that state of consciousness, or reference the words of someone else that has claimed to have been there.

Catholocism seems to come with a fee.  You need to pay for it.  Like a business selling a service.  A giant multi-billion dollar business, that requires subscribership.  Countless people unnaturally abstaining from sexual encounters that end up molesting little kids.  Something doesn't add up there.  If this is one of the symptoms of a particular belief system, then it has failed.  It's no good to have a system where people see god, and appointed members whose desires are obscure and morals are lacking.  I'm not saying every Catholic is like this, but there is a pretty common theme of molestation, to the point that it's not an outlier.

I'm not religious but one religion I am fond of is Buddhism.  There is no fee to join.  There is no god to pray to or be judged by.  There is no salesman requiring subscribers.  Instead of preaching it has meditation.  You end up with a society that is pretty healthy, peaceful, kind, and tolerant of other points of view.

I think religion as a whole is interesting.  It's interesting to see how it came to be, and how it changed the world and used ignorance and fear to accomplish order.  But I don't think it's something that is to be taken seriously.  All of them are great stories, great reads, and very poetic...something to be appreciated by those who enjoy, but not to be forced on those who don't.

It's the ignorance and fear thing. As long as science or something else can keep people in ignorance of the fact that they have no true control over their lives, and that the free will that people have is only an illusion of free will, then there will be no fear. All will be comfy-cozy until disaster overtakes us all. Of course, what's the dif? We don't have any control over protecting ourselves from disaster anyway, do we?

Smiley
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
July 30, 2015, 03:29:57 PM
I'm an atheist but I don't hate religions. You can't ban people to live their religious life, that would be fascism. Everybody has right to choose a religion or no religion at all. The most important thing is respect everybody's religious views. As an atheist I've never faced a bad thing by religious people. They respect me, I respect them.
Activity: 364
Merit: 252
July 30, 2015, 03:21:12 PM
They must have got to you young.  It's sad to see, but you have the freedom to subscribe to any ideology you wish.

My question is, if you were born 3000 years ago, what would you be referencing for religious guidance?

I read the bible (in college) because I wanted to. I was raised Catholic, and have renounced the Catholic specific teachings. But, I have already asked myself what if God didn't exist, and the answer came back that God does exist. I feel bad for those who have not felt the power that the Holy Spirit gives. I feel bad for those who are still waiting for scientists to teach them about antimatter, when all you really need to know about that is in the bible.

Believing in the bible does not negate belief in scientific studies, no matter what Beliathon likes to say. It augments it.

There are many ways to be spiritual without subscribing to a specific religion.  You can experience it yourself by training and disciplining your mind with an art or meditation, or with psychedelics to get into that state of consciousness, or reference the words of someone else that has claimed to have been there.

Catholocism seems to come with a fee.  You need to pay for it.  Like a business selling a service.  A giant multi-billion dollar business, that requires subscribership.  Countless people unnaturally abstaining from sexual encounters that end up molesting little kids.  Something doesn't add up there.  If this is one of the symptoms of a particular belief system, then it has failed.  It's no good to have a system where people see god, and appointed members whose desires are obscure and morals are lacking.  I'm not saying every Catholic is like this, but there is a pretty common theme of molestation, to the point that it's not an outlier.

I'm not religious but one religion I am fond of is Buddhism.  There is no fee to join.  There is no god to pray to or be judged by.  There is no salesman requiring subscribers.  Instead of preaching it has meditation.  You end up with a society that is pretty healthy, peaceful, kind, and tolerant of other points of view.

I think religion as a whole is interesting.  It's interesting to see how it came to be, and how it changed the world and used ignorance and fear to accomplish order.  But I don't think it's something that is to be taken seriously.  All of them are great stories, great reads, and very poetic...something to be appreciated by those who enjoy, but not to be forced on those who don't.
Activity: 504
July 30, 2015, 02:50:29 PM

legendary
July 30, 2015, 02:35:59 PM
I don't know about MakingMoneyHoney, but when I am born 3000 years ago, I'll let you know.    Cheesy
Activity: 364
Merit: 252
July 30, 2015, 02:29:25 PM
Atheists don't see themselfs as gods. 100% nonsense.

and atheists don' hate religion they just don't see the point of it.

Just Beliathon, I know.

Because religion is a form of control. To control people. To keep them in line.
Also to fear people. "don't do this or you will burn in hell".

It funny because god loves us all but he will let you burn in hell if you don't believe..
And altho god is allknowing he created us all so how come he created rapers and murderers??

god is a weirdo...

As I said, there are plenty of verses in the bible that say "Fear Not." God is not about fearing things, just having a reverence for the Glory that created us.

He created free will. If He didn't, you'd be mad you didn't have it.

Bu free will, is why people fall away and don't believe, and become rapers and murderers.

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
July 30, 2015, 02:22:29 PM
If somebody makes it to age 1,000, we might say we are on to something. However, as soon as someone dies, we have to admit that we haven't quite conquered death, even if it is at 10,000 years.
That's true, but you're missing the point entirely. When people are living to be age 10,000 and illness is a term only for the history books, how relevant do you think religion will be to folks like that?

That depends whether there is any truth to Intelligent Design.
legendary
July 30, 2015, 02:21:34 PM
Completely relevant. Why? Provided that they don't have some mental deterioration, their minds will have had 10,000 years to understand the simple sciences that show that God exists. These are (again) combined cause and effect, universe complexity, with entropy penetrating everything.

To use the words of Cameron, the "good" female cyborg in the Terminator - The Sarah Connor Chronicles series, "Thank you for explaining."

Cheesy
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
July 30, 2015, 02:18:01 PM
Completely relevant. Why? Provided that they don't have some mental deterioration, their minds will have had 10,000 years to understand the simple sciences that show that God exists. These are (again) combined cause and effect, universe complexity, with entropy penetrating everything.

Look at me, I'm BADecker, stringing a few big words together without any coherent meaning makes me a scientist! Yippee!
legendary
July 30, 2015, 02:00:47 PM
If somebody makes it to age 1,000, we might say we are on to something. However, as soon as someone dies, we have to admit that we haven't quite conquered death, even if it is at 10,000 years.
That's true, but you're missing the point entirely. When people are living to be age 10,000 and illness is a term only for the history books, how relevant do you think religion will be to folks like that?

Smiley
July 30, 2015, 01:41:03 PM
legendary
July 30, 2015, 01:19:05 PM
Religion is an ever-shrinking pocket of scientific ignorance.
One of the things that scientific enlightenment is finding out more than ever is, there is a whole lot more to the complexity of nature than anyone ever thought. And the more we find out, the greater we find the complexity to be.

Jesus arose from the dead to live forever. Nobody else can.
Yet. The end of death may well come within your lifetime. Bringing the dead back to life may soon be a medical reality, with claims people may be able to be resuscitated up to 24 hours after their death.

Critical care physician Sam Parnia makes the claim in his book Erasing Death, saying resuscitation research is on the cusp of a major breakthrough within the next 20 years.

"With today's medicine, we can bring people back to life up to one, maybe two hours, sometimes even longer, after their heart stopped beating and they have thus died by circulatory failure. In the future, we will likely get better at reversing death," he told Germany's Spiegel magazine.

"It is possible that in 20 years, we may be able to restore people to life 12 hours or maybe even 24 hours after they have died. You could call that resurrection, if you will. But I still call it resuscitation science."
However, the brink of war, the impending collapse of the money system (almost happened in 2008), the common law vs. civil law battle, and loads of other things suggest that research will collapse shortly, right along with the whole economy.

Back in the 1950s, the promise was that we would have fully operational bases on the moon within 20 years. Where are they?

Back in the 1920s, heart disease was going to be cured before the decade was out. Not even close.

Believe it when you see it, if even then.

Currently the average resuscitation rates for cardiac arrest patients in the US is 18 percent, while in the U.K. it is 16 percent. But at Parnia's research base in New York that rate is between 33 percent and 38 percent.

"Most, but not all of our patients, get discharged with no neurological damage whatsoever," he said.

The point is, if we actually have someone who lives until age 200 without any signs of aging, then we might begin to say that perhaps there is a slight chance we have conquered death. If somebody makes it to age 1,000, we might say we are on to something. However, as soon as someone dies, we have to admit that we haven't quite conquered death, even if it is at 10,000 years.

Smiley
July 30, 2015, 10:08:10 AM
 Religion is an ever-shrinking pocket of scientific ignorance.

Jesus arose from the dead to live forever. Nobody else can.
Yet. The end of death may well come within your lifetime. Bringing the dead back to life may soon be a medical reality, with claims people may be able to be resuscitated up to 24 hours after their death.

Critical care physician Sam Parnia makes the claim in his book Erasing Death, saying resuscitation research is on the cusp of a major breakthrough within the next 20 years.

"With today's medicine, we can bring people back to life up to one, maybe two hours, sometimes even longer, after their heart stopped beating and they have thus died by circulatory failure. In the future, we will likely get better at reversing death," he told Germany's Spiegel magazine.

"It is possible that in 20 years, we may be able to restore people to life 12 hours or maybe even 24 hours after they have died. You could call that resurrection, if you will. But I still call it resuscitation science."

Currently the average resuscitation rates for cardiac arrest patients in the US is 18 percent, while in the U.K. it is 16 percent. But at Parnia's research base in New York that rate is between 33 percent and 38 percent.

"Most, but not all of our patients, get discharged with no neurological damage whatsoever," he said.
July 29, 2015, 11:14:43 PM
You claim yourself as God, because of science. You are blind to see. You are following a religion.
You understand nothing. Not me, the individual, but humanity in the collective sense is God.

You're a human, yes?
legendary
July 29, 2015, 10:53:41 PM
You claim yourself as God, because of science. You are blind to see. You are following a religion.
You understand nothing. Not me, the individual, but humanity in the collective sense is God.

Jesus arose from the dead to live forever. Nobody else can. Even the people that doctors seem to bring back to life now and again, die again. Humanity is not God.

Smiley
July 29, 2015, 09:15:13 PM
July 29, 2015, 07:48:43 PM

Just Beliathon, I know.

It funny because god loves us all but he will let you burn in hell if you don't believe..
And altho god is allknowing he created us all so how come he created rapers and murderers??

god is a weirdo...

As I said, there are plenty of verses in the bible that say "Fear Not." God is not about fearing things, just having a reverence for the Glory that created us.

He created free will. If He didn't, you'd be mad you didn't have it.

Bu free will, is why people fall away and don't believe, and become rapers and murderers.
Activity: 157
Merit: 1
July 29, 2015, 07:47:20 PM

god is a weirdo...
July 29, 2015, 07:45:27 PM
Atheists are organized in a religious way to maintain the idea that there is no God. Atheism is a religion. It is a religion where mankind is god, because it is mankind who, against all good evidence, suggests that there is no god.
Atheists are disorganized in a non-religious way to maintain the idea that there are no unicorns. Atheism is a religion. It is a non-religion where mankind is god, because it is mankind who, with the support of all evidence, concludes that there are no unicorns.

Mankind is god

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
July 29, 2015, 07:42:31 PM
Atheists are organized in a religious way to maintain the idea that there is no God. Atheism is a religion. It is a religion where mankind is god, because it is mankind who, against all good evidence, suggests that there is no god.
Atheists are disorganized in a non-religious way to maintain the idea that there are no unicorns. Atheism is a religion. It is a non-religion where mankind is god, because it is mankind who, with the support of all evidence, concludes that there are no unicorns.

Mankind is god

All these posts and you still have absolutely zero response to the rebuttal of your invalid unicorn analogy. 
Jump to: