Author

Topic: Why do Atheists Hate Religion? - page 381. (Read 901341 times)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500
August 03, 2015, 02:56:13 PM
Why would anyone fear death?
Since nobody actually knows what happens when we die, it's the unknown I guess.
Actually this is mostly related to major religions. People are afraid of death, do not like to speak/think about it and thus religious have gained many followers. Because of their fear, the idea of being saved makes the calm.

I hope you don't mean all people are afraid of death. It just isn't true. I don't really see a good reason why people should be afraid of death at all.

1) If you're religious, then you should feel fine about it.
2) If you're just spiritual but don't follow a religion, you probably believe in the soul, and aren't afraid of death.
3) If you're atheist, you shouldn't believe anything is after death... and I guess maybe can be afraid of dying because you believe that's all there is, but other than that, I don't see a reason to fear death. 

When you die, you die. Worms have a party and end of story. There is no soul.

The post you quoted has nothing to do with whether there is a soul or not. I know there is. My point was that there is no reason to fear death.
Activity: 364
Merit: 252
August 03, 2015, 02:26:12 PM

It is Buddhism that allows a sense of humour, whether or not the followers have a sense of humour or not.  So are you saying if a Buddhist encounters Christianity that they would lose their sense of humour? Smiley

Are you a Buddhist? If you are, the answer to your question is no on this side, 'cause this Christian is LOL at the thing that you posted.

Cheesy

I'm not Buddhist, but as someone who isn't religious, I do like the philosophy especially for how old it is.

Ok so as a Christian, do you go to church?  And if you do, is it a serious environment or does it allow for humour?
Activity: 555
Merit: 507
August 03, 2015, 02:12:40 PM
Actually this is mostly related to major religions. People are afraid of death, do not like to speak/think about it and thus religious have gained many followers. Because of their fear, the idea of being saved makes the calm.

I hope you don't mean all people are afraid of death. It just isn't true. I don't really see a good reason why people should be afraid of death at all.

2) If you're just spiritual but don't follow a religion, you probably believe in the soul, and aren't afraid of death.
3) If you're atheist, you shouldn't believe anything is after death... and I guess maybe can be afraid of dying because you believe that's all there is, but other than that, I don't see a reason to fear death. 

When you die, you die. Worms have a party and end of story. There is no soul.
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
August 03, 2015, 08:56:26 AM

No, I don't. As stated in the second part of the post (a example) is that the followers of Buddhism are trying to contemplate death in order to relief themselves of possible fear.
I'm saying that some people are religious as a result of being afraid of death before.

As a half spiritual half agnostic person I do not see a reason to be afraid of death. I've talked to a lot of people in my surrounding area and they do not like to talk about death at all.

"Deatha" sounds like a cute girl's name.    Cheesy
legendary
August 03, 2015, 08:53:34 AM

People who are living without a lot of pain, who are simply living their life, might not have a mental fear of death. But most people have a natural bodily reaction that includes fear of death.

Your body doesn't have the same logic that your mind does. Your body has life and some automatic reactions against the happening of death. If there is a sudden impending death closing in, the body may react in such a way that it causes the mind to fear death. If people - like soldiers - were in the situation of impending death all the time, the fear of it would become numbed.

Smiley
legendary
August 03, 2015, 08:46:43 AM
Christians aren't supposed to believe in reincarnation. I don't.
My child, I'm afraid you haven't been paying attention to Teacher. Once again:

Belief is not a choice. It's a compulsion beyond the realm of choice, based on observation/evidence; in science argument and consensus.

Desirability is not a requisite of the truth. I do not choose what I believe because I perceive it as the more attraction option. I'm compelled to believe what I think is true, whether I like it or not!

The truth does not require your approval. It simply is.

I don't know of any religions that states that suicide is a good thing. It's murder (of oneself), and so it's a sin for Christians.
Religion is how the power elite controlled the peasants for many generations before the Nation State took over that role. Fear is a prison for your mind. This tragic fear of divine retribution would likely prevent you from committing the self-mercy of suicide even if you were enduring days or week of torture.

Not months, though, and certainly not years. Pain is an inexhaustible resource, just like pleasure. Under those circumstances, sooner or later your superstition would break, unable to bear the weight of such suffering. Eventually you'd come to your senses and end it. Deep down you know this to be true.

"My child?" Wow, how pretentious can you get?  You said you're a "psych major."  What are you?  Late teens?  Early 20's?  Bold, bold statements for a student to say...

Equally as pretentious as the man in the church referred to as "father" who is not your father?

I can't speak on Beliathon's behalf, but it looks to me like a joke, that has been taken very seriously Smiley

Another point for Buddhism, the only religion that has a sense of humour Smiley

It isn't Buddhism that has the sense of humor. It's the Buddhists, 'cause they realize what a joke religion is. That's because they haven't encountered the pure sense that Christianity makes.

Smiley

It is Buddhism that allows a sense of humour, whether or not the followers have a sense of humour or not.  So are you saying if a Buddhist encounters Christianity that they would lose their sense of humour? Smiley

Are you a Buddhist? If you are, the answer to your question is no on this side, 'cause this Christian is LOL at the thing that you posted.

Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
August 02, 2015, 06:01:56 PM

No, I don't. As stated in the second part of the post (a example) is that the followers of Buddhism are trying to contemplate death in order to relief themselves of possible fear.
I'm saying that some people are religious as a result of being afraid of death before.

As a half spiritual half agnostic person I do not see a reason to be afraid of death. I've talked to a lot of people in my surrounding area and they do not like to talk about death at all.
August 02, 2015, 04:50:26 PM

Belief is not a choice. It's a compulsion beyond the realm of choice, based on observation/evidence; in science argument and consensus.

Desirability is not a requisite of the truth. I do not choose what I believe because I perceive it as the more attraction option. I'm compelled to believe what I think is true, whether I like it or not!

I don't know of any religions that states that suicide is a good thing. It's murder (of oneself), and so it's a sin for Christians.
Religion is how the power elite controlled the peasants for many generations before the Nation State took over that role. Fear is a prison for your mind. This tragic fear of divine retribution would likely prevent you from committing the self-mercy of suicide even if you were enduring days or week of torture.

Not months, though, and certainly not years. Pain is an inexhaustible resource, just like pleasure. Under those circumstances, sooner or later your superstition would break, unable to bear the weight of such suffering. Eventually you'd come to your senses and end it. Deep down you know this to be true.

"My child?" Wow, how pretentious can you get?  You said you're a "psych major."  What are you?  Late teens?  Early 20's?  Bold, bold statements for a student to say...

Equally as pretentious as the man in the church referred to as "father" who is not your father?

I can't speak on Beliathon's behalf, but it looks to me like a joke, that has been taken very seriously Smiley

It isn't Buddhism that has the sense of humor. It's the Buddhists, 'cause they realize what a joke religion is. That's because they haven't encountered the pure sense that Christianity makes.

Smiley

August 02, 2015, 04:46:05 PM

1) Exclusive from all else, it was exceedingly pretentious.  Have you read the dude's posts?  It wasn't a joke.

2) What man in the church?  Neither the pope (the supposed vicar of Christ) nor Jesus claimed to be the Father.  Do you mean God?  This is just nitpicking.  "Father" in such a context just refers to the thing we came from.  Logical reductionism soundly leads to the necessity of a single "source" of everything.  Given monistic reductionism, do you really take issue with such a metaphorical issue aside from the trivial fact that the "source" doesn't look like your dad or have a penis?

For his 2nd point: He means Priest. You're supposed to call him "father (real name)" when speaking with them. That's also just Catholicism. Yet Christians do refer to strangers even, as brothers and sisters in Christ, because we are all God's children. But that's not a pretentious pronoun....

Thanks.  I didn't think it was that vague, but as MakingMoneyHoney pointed out, I was referring to the priest.

It was pretentious, but I think that is what the joke was Smiley

Beliathon didn't even remember who he was demeaning, can't put much stock in it.
August 02, 2015, 04:43:52 PM

1) Exclusive from all else, it was exceedingly pretentious.  Have you read the dude's posts?  It wasn't a joke.

2) What man in the church?  Neither the pope (the supposed vicar of Christ) nor Jesus claimed to be the Father.  Do you mean God?  This is just nitpicking.  "Father" in such a context just refers to the thing we came from.  Logical reductionism soundly leads to the necessity of a single "source" of everything.  Given monistic reductionism, do you really take issue with such a metaphorical issue aside from the trivial fact that the "source" doesn't look like your dad or have a penis?

For his 2nd point: He means Priest. You're supposed to call him "father (real name)" when speaking with them. That's also just Catholicism. Yet Christians do refer to strangers even, as brothers and sisters in Christ, because we are all God's children. But that's not a pretentious pronoun....

Thanks.  I didn't think it was that vague, but as MakingMoneyHoney pointed out, I was referring to the priest.

It was pretentious, but I think that is what the joke was Smiley
August 02, 2015, 03:42:12 PM

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
August 02, 2015, 03:37:16 PM
Why do Atheists hate Religion ? my answer is simple because they are not believe in god
Well your post is really useless. You definitely need to read a more than a few posts in this thread to understand a few things. The answer is definitely not simple but rather very complicated (as debates about religion usually are). People just can not generalize anything and thus should not do that in this very case.
There are bad people on both sides (even though religious people should be good). I guess the problems occur when religious people try to shove their religion into your face.

Actually this is mostly related to major religions. People are afraid of death, do not like to speak/think about it and thus religious have gained many followers. Because of their fear, the idea of being saved makes the calm. In Buddhism it is much different. Buddha has not only encouraged his followers to speak about death, he encouraged them to think about it, contemplate it regularly. Contemplation of death makes one acknowledge death. However, people do not acknowledge it fully, nor consciously.
"The contemplation of death, rather than making us depressed and morbid, can actually help us live our lives more fully, with more joy, with more gratitude and appreciation."
Activity: 134
Merit: 100
July 31, 2015, 11:56:04 PM
Why do Atheists hate Religion ? my answer is simple because they are not believe in god
legendary
July 31, 2015, 08:55:43 PM

A Psych Major?

What?  Why not be a major in something that will make serious money and be some value to the world.

Like chemical engineering.

Good point. Kinda like for meteorologists. They should make them spend a year predicting the stock market before they give them a weather forecasting job. If they can earn themselves a $100,000 predicting the stock market, they can have a job predicting the weather. Of course, then we wouldn't have any meteorologists. Why not? Because either they wouldn't pass the test (making $100,000), or they would keep on with the stock market until they could make a $million a year. Forget the weather.

That would be okay, though. All you need do to see why it would be okay is, visit http://www.wunderground.com/ for many cities in the USA. Take a look at the 10-day forecast throughout the day. Often it changes more than half-a-dozen times a day. Sometimes the forecast for the current day changes as the day goes on, to match what is happening in the weather outside.

I make my mistakes, and I am embarrassed about it. But I don't see how meteorologists can live with their mistakes... constantly, day in and day out.

Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
July 31, 2015, 07:58:14 PM
Quote from: MakingMoneyHoney
And yet, you wrote it to me, not The Joint.
Forgive me. Please understand it can be difficult for a whale to discern one small goldfish from another.

I'm sorry. Are we supposed to take you seriously? You've been shown to be a hypocrite over and over and in an attempt to show your intellect being higher than others
I wasn't aware that it was merely an attempt.

It seems that one of us is suffering from a bad case of the Dunning-Kruger effect. I'll leave it to the readers to deduce which of us that is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder

Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a personality disorder in which a person is excessively preoccupied with personal adequacy, power, prestige and vanity, mentally unable to see the destructive damage they are causing to themselves and others.

Okay, "teacher."

Symptoms of this disorder, as defined by the DSM-5, include:[6]
A. Significant impairments in personality functioning manifested by:
1. Impairments in self functioning (a or b):
a. Identity: Excessive reference to others for self-definition and self-esteem regulation; exaggerated self-appraisal may be inflated or deflated, or vacillate between extremes; emotional regulation mirrors fluctuations in self-esteem.

"Whale" vs. "goldfish"; "teacher vs. student"; "father vs. child"

b. Self-direction: Goal-setting is based on gaining approval from others; personal standards are unreasonably high in order to see oneself as exceptional, or too low based on a sense of entitlement; often unaware of own motivations.

Talking to others in the 3rd-person.

AND
2. Impairments in interpersonal functioning (a or b):
 a. Empathy: Impaired ability to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others; excessively attuned to reactions of others, but only if perceived as relevant to self; over- or underestimate of own effect on others.
b. Intimacy: Relationships largely superficial and exist to serve self-esteem regulation; mutuality constrained by little genuine interest in others' experiences and predominance of a need for personal gain

B. Pathological personality traits in the following domain:
Antagonism, characterized by:
a. Grandiosity: Feelings of entitlement, either overt or covert; self-centeredness; firmly holding to the belief that one is better than others; condescending toward others.
b. Attention seeking: Excessive attempts to attract and be the focus of the attention of others; admiration seeking.
C. The impairments in personality functioning and the individual's personality trait expression are relatively stable across time and consistent across situations.
D. The impairments in personality functioning and the individual's personality trait expression are not better understood as normative for the individual's developmental stage or socio-cultural environment.
E. The impairments in personality functioning and the individual's personality trait expression are not solely due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, medication) or a general medical condition (e.g., severe head trauma).
July 31, 2015, 06:40:04 PM
Forgive me. Please understand it can be difficult for a whale to discern one small goldfish from another.

I'm sorry. Are we supposed to take you seriously? You've been shown to be a hypocrite over and over and in an attempt to show your intellect being higher than others, you forgot who you were demeaning, lol.

It seems that one of us is suffering from a bad case of the Dunning-Kruger effect. I'll leave it to the readers to deduce which of us that is.

I call you a hypocrite... over and over. You remain silent. Why? Because you are. I guess remaining silent is winning....The only way to win is not to play, right?

Doesn't make you any less of a hypocrite, though.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
July 31, 2015, 06:24:30 PM

I'm sorry. Are we supposed to take you seriously? You've been shown to be a hypocrite over and over and in an attempt to show your intellect being higher than others

July 31, 2015, 04:57:23 PM

I'm sorry. Are we supposed to take you seriously? You've been shown to be a hypocrite over and over and in an attempt to show your intellect being higher than others, you forgot who you were demeaning, lol.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
July 31, 2015, 04:54:59 PM
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386
July 31, 2015, 04:51:44 PM
>>

I can't speak on Beliathon's behalf, but it looks to me like a joke, that has been taken very seriously
Correct. It wasn't a statement about age, it was a half-joke highlighting the apparent intellectual gap between The Joint and I. You know, the intellectual gap between the average human IQ and a chimpanzee is smaller than the intellectual gap between the average person and a genius IQ.

So when I call you a "child" rather than a Great Ape or some other similarly likely-offensive reference to your primateness, I'm actually being quite generous. Even as a young child I would have run logical circles around most of these adults. We're practically not even the same species.
There is no evidence of any great intellect on your part.  In fact if there were, you would not be having the conversations you are having.
Jump to: