Pages:
Author

Topic: [WTS] USB Style PCI-E 1x - 16x Powered Riser Cables !! $5.95 ea 25k + Sold! - page 16. (Read 48127 times)

Activity: 101
Merit: 10
Miner / Engineer
That stinks...I ordered mine on Thurs and still no shipping. Think maybe cause I picked up some 24" and 40"?? Hope to get them soon. Everything else is ready to go. Looks like some nice stuff.

I had the same ones on order, but RickJames (the seller here) said all he got after being bent over by DHL was the 1m.  I asked him to upgrade mine to the 1m length, cause it was the same price, and I wanted to build now now now.  He did it, shipped it, and I got it.  Woot!

Activity: 378
Merit: 250
I really hate to say this, but I was bent over by DHL again. This shipment was already on the way by the time I figured out that I hate them on the other order. DHL sent me an email yesterday to confirm that I would be at my shop to receive the package today, and when I called them this morning they told me it was on a truck to be delivered today. I sat here all day waiting for them, got worried a little while ago and called again. This time they told me that both earlier notices were wrong, and that the order would arrive wednesday. This also likely means that the refill of shorter and longer ones won't actually get here wednesday as expected but friday. If anyone absolutely can't wait, I understand, and can send a refund as soon as you ask.

Sorry! Never using DHL again.
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004
Hi RickJamesBTC
Do they have pci-e presence?  I just read on this page that some mobo requires a jumper wire needed for the pci-e 1x slot else the GPU is not detected.
http://www.gobitgo.com/articles/1001/How-To-Correctly-Use-and-Install-PCI-E-Riser-Cables/

Regards
Jedi

yes they have pci-e presence integrated right on the pcb
Activity: 27
Merit: 0
That stinks...I ordered mine on Thurs and still no shipping. Think maybe cause I picked up some 24" and 40"?? Hope to get them soon. Everything else is ready to go. Looks like some nice stuff.
Miner / Engineer
Just got mine in, and they look goooood....  Ordered int he middle of the night Friday morning, seller saw my comments in thread and updated the order, seller shipped them out Saturday USPS Priority (cheapest method, $6.95).  Arrived here on Monday!  Must be close by me (New York).

Just posting because I didn't see anyone else say they got them.

Thanks again!

Now, to try out this Bitcointalk Trust center...
Activity: 4
Hi RickJamesBTC
Do they have pci-e presence?  I just read on this page that some mobo requires a jumper wire needed for the pci-e 1x slot else the GPU is not detected.
http://www.gobitgo.com/articles/1001/How-To-Correctly-Use-and-Install-PCI-E-Riser-Cables/

Regards
Jedi
Since this USB style one does not have these lines, the  black IC on the board is the 3.3 V voltage regulator which receives its power form the external 4 pin molex connector, which has a 12V and a 5V line on it along with 2 ground/return lines. The capacitors are used for any noise cancellation/stabilization of the power lines.

That, my friend, needs to be in your OP and on the website as the selling point.  You'll sell out faster than you can take orders.

I already have been! I had to make extra orders in between my extra orders. I will update my website description to include something similar, thanks!.
Miner / Engineer

Yes, it appears I slipped in an errant "these" in my original question that did however reference ribbons. I've edited it for clarity, as I was speaking about risers in general, so sorry for the confusion. USB carries power obviously, so it's impossible to know if the 12v line is connected back without actually asking the question.

Irrelevant honestly. I've read those threads. I run GPUs which draw 350-400w per gpu on unpowered risers, some of them are 60cm long, all without issue. So do other folks with large farms in china and elsewhere.

The REAL problem is when your PCIE power rail is failing to produce enough current for the GPU's draw, so then it attempts to pull more from the PCIe socket. If the cables have varying quality, especially on the solder joints, you'll end up with the cable's 12v line acting like a fuse. If the motherboard is damaged from this, then the PSU is/was failing (likely the 12v rail), and/or it wasn't properly spec'd for the current draw.

Folks can't just buy a PSU that says X watts and presume it'll work. The important detail is the 12v rail *constant current drain* raiting. I have some which are rated for 27-29amps per GPU, and some which are 35amps per GPU. I match the appropriate rail with the appropriate GPU depending on current draw.

Coincidentally, it doesn't matter if these or any products "back feed"--that doesn't even make sense. DC flows in one direction, and there are plenty of diodes on GPU PCB's to prevent such a situation. You'd fry the tracer on the PCB before you fried a cable if there was a backflow issue. The tracer is thinner than the PCI riser cable. This is all supported by many of the photos, where the riser burns up at the slot--the current is drawing/trying to draw from the slot--likely, again, from a PSU lacking the ability to provide current. If it were a back-flow issue, the tracers would poof.

Not trying to hijack the OP's thread, but just provide clarity on a wives-tale.

+1 to all this.  I didn't want to get into the back and forth, but I could not have said this any better!  There is no such thing as "back feed", DC current flows electrons from negative to positive poll (a lot of people think current flows from + to -, that's not true and you need to account for that when building circuits).

It's when the there is too much current being pulled from the PCIe sockets that burns them out, simple.  That's why I love this USB-solution he is selling!  All power is through the Molex, which opens up a new way to configure these machines!  It means you can now power the motherboard and cpu and ram in these Scrypt mining rigs with like a cheap 150W PSU (or just account for a little more on top of a dual PSU setup) and don't have to worry about the PCIe power draw (75W+ per slot).  I love it!

Miner / Engineer
Since this USB style one does not have these lines, the  black IC on the board is the 3.3 V voltage regulator which receives its power form the external 4 pin molex connector, which has a 12V and a 5V line on it along with 2 ground/return lines. The capacitors are used for any noise cancellation/stabilization of the power lines.

That, my friend, needs to be in your OP and on the website as the selling point.  You'll sell out faster than you can take orders.
Activity: 53
I've got lots coming in, all sizes, and will have more orders when needed after that. I'm sorry for a few days delay on these first ones, all my DHL orders have been late. It'll be easier to say that there is a 3-5 day handling period before shipping, just in case. I can restock anything within a week.

sounds good, thanks for the quick update. I put in an order for 12 a couple days ago and was curious. 
I've got lots coming in, all sizes, and will have more orders when needed after that. I'm sorry for a few days delay on these first ones, all my DHL orders have been late. It'll be easier to say that there is a 3-5 day handling period before shipping, just in case. I can restock anything within a week.
Activity: 53
any estimation on the 1 ft version?  Thanks!

The usb cable isn't carrying power. The draw will be depending on your card. For example, my r9-280Xs running hot each draw 2.6 amps at 12v with the fan running 100%. I've heard of some drawing 75+ watts, which would be almost twice that much. You really have to test your cards when designing power supplies.

Sorry, I meant when you are getting more in/shipping out Smiley , any idea when more are coming in?
Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Yes, it appears I slipped in an errant "these" in my original question that did however reference ribbons. I've edited it for clarity, as I was speaking about risers in general, so sorry for the confusion. USB carries power obviously, so it's impossible to know if the 12v line is connected back without actually asking the question.

Irrelevant honestly. I've read those threads. I run GPUs which draw 350-400w per gpu on unpowered risers, some of them are 60cm long, all without issue. So do other folks with large farms in china and elsewhere.

The REAL problem is when your PCIE power rail is failing to produce enough current for the GPU's draw, so then it attempts to pull more from the PCIe socket. If the cables have varying quality, especially on the solder joints, you'll end up with the cable's 12v line acting like a fuse. If the motherboard is damaged from this, then the PSU is/was failing (likely the 12v rail), and/or it wasn't properly spec'd for the current draw.

Folks can't just buy a PSU that says X watts and presume it'll work. The important detail is the 12v rail *constant current drain* raiting. I have some which are rated for 27-29amps per GPU, and some which are 35amps per GPU. I match the appropriate rail with the appropriate GPU depending on current draw.

Coincidentally, it doesn't matter if these or any products "back feed"--that doesn't even make sense. DC flows in one direction, and there are plenty of diodes on GPU PCB's to prevent such a situation. You'd fry the tracer on the PCB before you fried a cable if there was a backflow issue. The tracer is thinner than the PCI riser cable. This is all supported by many of the photos, where the riser burns up at the slot--the current is drawing/trying to draw from the slot--likely, again, from a PSU lacking the ability to provide current. If it were a back-flow issue, the tracers would poof.

Not trying to hijack the OP's thread, but just provide clarity on a wives-tale.
tried to order from the website- but doesnt ship to ireland?
how do i order 8x 60cm?

By pm or email, paying with bitcoin. International shipments need to be paid in bitcoin.
Thanks!
Activity: 144
Merit: 100
tried to order from the website- but doesnt ship to ireland?
how do i order 8x 60cm?

And also for those that are curious about these boards. The lines the USB cable carriers would be the 2 differential serial data pairs, total 4 wires from pins 14 & 15 on B side of edge connector and pins 16 & 17 from A side of edge connector, for the TX and RX signals. If you are curious about any of the ICs on the x16 boards, since the ribbon cable style extenders have all pins (with exception of 12 V and/or ground for the separated versions) connected, these will automatically provide all JTAG and 3.3V lines. Since this USB style one does not have these lines, the  black IC on the board is the 3.3 V voltage regulator which receives its power form the external 4 pin molex connector, which has a 12V and a 5V line on it along with 2 ground/return lines. The capacitors are used for any noise cancellation/stabilization of the power lines. And since the JTAG is not used for our needs, we can just scrap them...

All that!
Activity: 56
I wasn't being an ass, you asked a question about a totally different product. These don't connect the power lines. Power is supplied by the molex, I have tested amp draw on all the lines. There is no "current backflow". This is NOT a ribbon cable, but a usb cable. These are designed for this purpose.

If you say so bud. Confirmation that none of the 12v lines were connected back to the motherboard would have been sufficient. I'm aware they are different products, that's exactly why I had to ask the question.

You didn't ask, you said you had seen tons of motherboards fried with these risers. That's not true.

Standard USB signal cables carries power. This question was asked couple pages earlier if these were a PCIe to USB signal and back conversion, which it is not. The USB cables are just physical wires that continue the flow of PCIe signal between the two boards with no USB conversion. Hope that answers the question.

Thank you, I must have overlooked that when I read through the first time. That's what I was looking for.

And also for those that are curious about these boards. The lines the USB cable carriers would be the 2 differential serial data pairs, total 4 wires from pins 14 & 15 on B side of edge connector and pins 16 & 17 from A side of edge connector, for the TX and RX signals. If you are curious about any of the ICs on the x16 boards, since the ribbon cable style extenders have all pins (with exception of 12 V and/or ground for the separated versions) connected, these will automatically provide all JTAG and 3.3V lines. Since this USB style one does not have these lines, the  black IC on the board is the 3.3 V voltage regulator which receives its power form the external 4 pin molex connector, which has a 12V and a 5V line on it along with 2 ground/return lines. The capacitors are used for any noise cancellation/stabilization of the power lines. And since the JTAG is not used for our needs, we can just scrap them...
Activity: 7
I wasn't being an ass, you asked a question about a totally different product. These don't connect the power lines. Power is supplied by the molex, I have tested amp draw on all the lines. There is no "current backflow". This is NOT a ribbon cable, but a usb cable. These are designed for this purpose.

If you say so bud. Confirmation that none of the 12v lines were connected back to the motherboard would have been sufficient. I'm aware they are different products, that's exactly why I had to ask the question.

You didn't ask, you said you had seen tons of motherboards fried with these risers. That's not true.

Standard USB signal cables carries power. This question was asked couple pages earlier if these were a PCIe to USB signal and back conversion, which it is not. The USB cables are just physical wires that continue the flow of PCIe signal between the two boards with no USB conversion. Hope that answers the question.

Thank you, I must have overlooked that when I read through the first time. That's what I was looking for.
Activity: 56

Activity: 7

Pages:
Jump to: