Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1225. (Read 4670643 times)

Activity: 500
Merit: 500

MyMonero is temporarily offline for emergency maintenance, and will return within a few hours

nothing critical, i hope...
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053
Free spirit
* David Latapie remembers working on a 486DX

DX and SX for with and without internal maths co processor if I remember
Activity: 34
Merit: 0
One in the right place, apparently
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
I'm pretty sure that most of these scam ICOs, if not all of them, involve the scammers running their own BTC through the ICO and ending up with both the BTC and the coin. So a disguised premine, with some extra BTC (but a much smaller unknowable amount) from idiots as a bonus.
I confirm from acquaintances: ICO are faked.

On a particular machine, sure. For example, if you are swapping lot, that will indeed happen on lot faster on a SSD, so it will speed up, but the underlying cause of the bigger slow down is the lack of RAM. People were talking about many minutes to an hour for a save. That is not pushing the limits of any HDD sequential speed, at all.
Old machine: Mintbox, 4Gb, 5400 RPM HDD, 4Gb. More than one hour
New machine: Laptop, 4Gb, SSD. A dozen minute top.

See bolded above. SSD helps a lot if you are already short of RAM (which at 4 GB, you are). Bump up the RAM on there and a dozen minutes will be down to a minute or two (more or less regardless of drive).

I like you smooth, and I love that you are a XMR dev, but I will give 2 XMR just to see you admit that you were incorrect, for once.

You are (unsuccessfully) arguing that the write speed of a drive is irrelevant to the time required to write a file to a drive.  Huh

I think you need to learn what fsync does and whether or not there is one in the daemon.

But this is off topic for the thread, so let's stop now.
Activity: 644
Merit: 502
I'm pretty sure that most of these scam ICOs, if not all of them, involve the scammers running their own BTC through the ICO and ending up with both the BTC and the coin. So a disguised premine, with some extra BTC (but a much smaller unknowable amount) from idiots as a bonus.

On a particular machine, sure. For example, if you are swapping lot, that will indeed happen on lot faster on a SSD, so it will speed up, but the underlying cause of the bigger slow down is the lack of RAM. People were talking about many minutes to an hour for a save. That is not pushing the limits of any HDD sequential speed, at all.

See bolded above. SSD helps a lot if you are already short of RAM (which at 4 GB, you are). Bump up the RAM on there and a dozen minutes will be down to a minute or two (more or less regardless of drive).

I like you smooth, and I love that you are a XMR dev, but I will give 2 XMR just to see you admit that you were incorrect, for once.

You are (unsuccessfully) arguing that the write speed of a drive is irrelevant to the time required to write a file to a drive.  Huh
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
https://monerohash.com
And now 4 giga fucking byte is considered short...

Valid point, but I'd just say that at 4 GB you are pretty close to a critical point where even a small increase would have a disproportionately large benefit. The blockchain on disk is currently 3.2 GB. I don't know how that translates directly to in-RAM usage but I guess it might be slightly higher (or at least higher including other code, other applications, etc.). So you are right on the cusp of it being able to fit in RAM with a bit left over for I/O buffers and not being able to fit (i.e. swapping). 6 GB would probably be much faster than 4 GB and 2 GB is definitely much slower (I've tested it).

Summary: I recommend 6+ GB for best performance currently, 2+ GB for a bare minimum (with questionable at best performance). 4 GB is in between.

On my end, I'm running the daemon in a VirtualBox VM with Ubuntu 14.04 server, 1 GB of RAM assigned to it, and a 6GB swap file. I have commented out the parts of the code that force the blockchain to be saved every 12 hours. It takes a LOT of time to load the first time, but that's the only one time that I need to wait for the blockchain to load into RAM, as I don't ever stop the daemon unless I update it. When I want to "close" the daemon I just close the VM saving the current state (not powering it off, but saving the current state so I can resume it later). Next time I want to run it, I just resume the VM and it continues as if nothing had happened, and starts syncing the blockchain right away. I don't have to wait for the blockchain to be loaded into RAM/swap and it only uses 1GB of my physical RAM.

I run simplewallet on my host machine (meaning not in the VM) and forward local port 18081 to the VM running the daemon through VirtualBox NAT Networks settings.

I do this on my laptop, which has 4GB of RAM and HDD (hybrid drive really, but for writing operations is the same as plain HDD).

legendary
HI,Everybody,pls help me
My xmr wallet can not sync.I get the following errors:

014-Dec-14 21:20:37.969435 [P2P7]Failed to connect to any of seed peers, continuing without seeds
014-Dec-14 21:21:37.093539 [P2P7]Failed to connect to any of seed peers, continuing without seeds
014-Dec-14 21:22:36.077242 [P2P7]Failed to connect to any of seed peers, continuing without seeds
014-Dec-14 21:23:34.982946 [P2P9]Failed to connect to any of seed peers, continuing without seeds
014-Dec-14 21:24:34.107049 [P2P7]Failed to connect to any of seed peers, continuing without seeds
014-Dec-14 21:25:33.231153 [P2P7]Failed to connect to any of seed peers, continuing without seeds

Which version are you using?
Activity: 19
Merit: 0
HI,Everybody,pls help me
My xmr wallet can not sync.I get the following errors:

014-Dec-14 21:20:37.969435 [P2P7]Failed to connect to any of seed peers, continuing without seeds
014-Dec-14 21:21:37.093539 [P2P7]Failed to connect to any of seed peers, continuing without seeds
014-Dec-14 21:22:36.077242 [P2P7]Failed to connect to any of seed peers, continuing without seeds
014-Dec-14 21:23:34.982946 [P2P9]Failed to connect to any of seed peers, continuing without seeds
014-Dec-14 21:24:34.107049 [P2P7]Failed to connect to any of seed peers, continuing without seeds
014-Dec-14 21:25:33.231153 [P2P7]Failed to connect to any of seed peers, continuing without seeds
legendary

Valid point, but I'd just say that at 4 GB you are pretty close to a critical point where even a small increase would have a disproportionately large benefit. The blockchain on disk is currently 3.2 GB. I don't know how that translates directly to in-RAM usage but I guess it might be slightly higher (or at least higher including other code, other applications, etc.). So you are right on the cusp of it being able to fit in RAM with a bit left over for I/O buffers and not being able to fit (i.e. swapping). 6 GB would probably be much faster than 4 GB and 2 GB is definitely much slower (I've tested it).

Summary: I recommend 6+ GB for best performance currently, 2+ GB for a bare minimum (with questionable at best performance). 4 GB is in between.

I have not upgraded RAM because we are getting the new DB soon®.  Is it correct to assume that 4GB will be sufficient for good performance with the new DB?

4 GB is plenty for that. Problems are still being found in testing (that's the point of it cf course) so it is good to be realistic about "soon". 4 GB does work (and as David pointed out, quite reasonably with an SSD), so not really an urgent issue in any case.

legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

I have not upgraded RAM because we are getting the new DB soon®.  Is it correct to assume that 4GB will be sufficient for good performance with the new DB?
legendary

legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
* David Latapie remembers working on a 486DX maxed out in RAM (64MB) and playing Baldur's Gate with an indecent amount of RAM (24 MB - would work, but slowly, at a mere 8 MB).

I'll pastiche Warren Buffet and say the memory footprint has gone up a thousandfold but the producitvity has not gone up thousandfold.

Anyway, just a (not-so-old) grumpy man rambling...

Yeah, I had a VLB Mach32 4mb Vcard at that time and was in heaven!
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
* David Latapie remembers working on a 486DX maxed out in RAM (64MB) and playing Baldur's Gate with an indecent amount of RAM (24 MB - would work, but slowly, at a mere 8 MB).

I'll pastiche Warren Buffet and say the memory footprint has gone up a thousandfold but the producitvity has not gone up thousandfold.

Anyway, just a (not-so-old) grumpy man rambling...
legendary

Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team

So tell how the HDD is not related? Both machines where running Linux. Mintbox is Arch + Xfce, which takes up less RAM than the new one (Ubuntu + Gnome 3).

I'd like to announce the first alpha release of my unofficial lightweight GUI simplewallet wrapper, lightWallet. Using this program, you don't need to run the bitmonerod daemon on your own computer or do anything on the command line. By default it uses hegemoOn's (a long time Monero supporter) open node, although you can change it to use a different node (Atrides recently announced another one, for instance), or you can set it up to use a local daemon.
Added to OP.

This is the alpha version of MoneroClub, I'd like to post today.
Added to OP.
legendary
thanks smooth, i'm re-downloading the blockchain and try to resync again...should i remove old p2pstate and poolstate files once i put in the new blockchain?

2014-Dec-14 10:16:47.867387 ERROR C:/bitmonero/src/common/boost_serialization_helper.h:108 Exception at [unserialize_obj_from_file], what=basic_filebuf::underflow error reading the file

Looks like a corrupt blockchain save file. Unless you can restore it from a backup you will need to download a new one, or resync the whole chain.

I don't know why it happened. Maybe you ran out of free disk space while saving it? That is just a guess.

Unless you have other problems you can leave them

p2pstate - list of nodes to try to connect to
poolstate - unconfirmed transactions sent by you or others
Activity: 833
Merit: 1001
thanks smooth, i'm re-downloading the blockchain and try to resync again...should i remove old p2pstate and poolstate files once i put in the new blockchain?

2014-Dec-14 10:16:47.867387 ERROR C:/bitmonero/src/common/boost_serialization_helper.h:108 Exception at [unserialize_obj_from_file], what=basic_filebuf::underflow error reading the file

Looks like a corrupt blockchain save file. Unless you can restore it from a backup you will need to download a new one, or resync the whole chain.

I don't know why it happened. Maybe you ran out of free disk space while saving it? That is just a guess.

legendary

I don't know why it happened. Maybe you ran out of free disk space while saving it? That is just a guess.

Activity: 833
Merit: 1001
smooth, fluffypony

any idea why i get this error?

======================================================
2014-Dec-14 10:12:09.388552 ERROR C:/bitmonero/src/common/boost_serialization_helper.h:108 Exception at [unserialize_obj_from_file], what=basic_filebuf::underflow error reading the file
2014-Dec-14 10:12:09.388552 Can't load blockchain storage from file, generating genesis block.
2014-Dec-14 10:12:09.448556 ERROR C:/bitmonero/src/cryptonote_core/blockchain_storage.cpp:127 Failed to add genesis block to blockchain
2014-Dec-14 10:12:09.449556 ERROR C:/bitmonero/src/cryptonote_core/cryptonote_core.cpp:165 Failed to initialize blockchain storage
2014-Dec-14 10:12:09.449556 ERROR C:/bitmonero/src/daemon/daemon.cpp:255 Failed to initialize core
2014-Dec-14 10:12:09.451556 Mining has been stopped, 0 finished
2014-Dec-14 10:14:54.527017 bitmonero v0.8.8.6-release
2014-Dec-14 10:14:54.527017 Module folder: bitmonerod.exe
2014-Dec-14 10:14:54.527017 Initializing P2P server...
2014-Dec-14 10:15:26.935758 Binding on 0.0.0.0:18080
2014-Dec-14 10:15:26.938758 Net service bound to 0.0.0.0:18080
2014-Dec-14 10:15:26.939758 Attempting to add IGD port mapping.
2014-Dec-14 10:15:30.947988 No IGD was found.
2014-Dec-14 10:15:30.948988 P2P server initialized OK
2014-Dec-14 10:15:30.949988 Initializing protocol...
2014-Dec-14 10:15:30.949988 Protocol initialized OK
2014-Dec-14 10:15:30.950988 Initializing core RPC server...
2014-Dec-14 10:15:30.950988 Binding on 127.0.0.1:18081
2014-Dec-14 10:15:30.956988 Core RPC server initialized OK on port: 18081
2014-Dec-14 10:15:30.957988 Initializing core...
2014-Dec-14 10:15:30.959988 Loading blockchain...
2014-Dec-14 10:16:47.868387 Can't load blockchain storage from file, generating genesis block.
2014-Dec-14 10:16:47.961392 ERROR C:/bitmonero/src/cryptonote_core/blockchain_storage.cpp:127 Failed to add genesis block to blockchain
2014-Dec-14 10:16:47.962392 ERROR C:/bitmonero/src/cryptonote_core/cryptonote_core.cpp:165 Failed to initialize blockchain storage
2014-Dec-14 10:16:47.962392 ERROR C:/bitmonero/src/daemon/daemon.cpp:255 Failed to initialize core
2014-Dec-14 10:16:47.964393 Mining has been stopped, 0 finished
=============================================================
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085
Money often costs too much.
EDIT: ............................................ If I can give you some advice, I would make the "tabs" horizontal instead of vertical, bit hard to read now (could be the alcohol, but still Tongue). Another point, if you create a new wallet the seed will be stored in a plain text file without encryption. I would advise to make some kind of announcement everytime you create a new wallet to encrypt to file or to make it a default thing to encrypt the textfile with the seed.
No, it is actually nice vertical. Ads some difference. Stop thinking horizontal only! (and girlz and booze, but that is another story)
Oh man, I knew this coin wasn't any sober investment.

Meanwhile, .0001 is not possible, because I will sink it all before that, personally.
The devil's advocate would point at the XMR/BBR trading pair exit door.
Jump to: