Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1272. (Read 4670643 times)

legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011
Monero Evangelist
ask on #monero-dev every three hours till some one does Wink
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1001
I was hoping that someone in an official capacity could update the blockchain download link so it's not so far behind.  It's little things like that will drive you crazy.  If you're going to link the blockchain at least update it periodically.

Windows version
The format is not portable. So either we want
  • a portable database format
  • a converter commandline tool
  • an export/import function in the daemon for a monero-only, specific asccii dump

It isn't complicated.  Just update the file.  It has nothing to do with the future database.  The link to the current blockchain is too old. 
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
https://monerohash.com
For those who are trying out the DB version on HDD (not SSD), I've made a small tweak to the code that massively improves HDD performance.

On bitmonero/src/cryptonote_core/BlockchainDB_impl/db_lmdb.cpp, change line 727 from:
Code:
if (auto result = mdb_env_open(m_env, filename.c_str(), 0, 0664))
to:
Code:
if (auto result = mdb_env_open(m_env, filename.c_str(), MDB_MAPASYNC | MDB_WRITEMAP, 0664))

I'm not sure whether it may have some implications like corrupted data on crash or something, but I've tested killing the daemon while syncing, and starting it up again, and it continued without any trouble from where it left before killing it.

The only side-effect I've noticed so far, is that it instantly allocates 16GB to data.mdb, but it makes it incredibly faster.

So, if you want to try it out, do it at your own risk Smiley

Cheers!
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085
Money often costs too much.
I was hoping that someone in an official capacity could update the blockchain download link so it's not so far behind.  It's little things like that will drive you crazy.  If you're going to link the blockchain at least update it periodically.

Windows version
The format is not portable. So either we want
  • a portable database format
  • a converter commandline tool
  • an export/import function in the daemon for a monero-only, specific asccii dump
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
Keep bumping your request, till someone does.

Ha ha

They know.  That's why it's so frustrating.  Seems like a simple task.

I don't believe it's getting updated till the new DB is released soon®
legendary

Ha ha

They know.  That's why it's so frustrating.  Seems like a simple task.
legendary
Monero Evangelist
legendary
Can someone please update the Official Windows blockchain download?

Thanks

blockchain is now about ~3GB , I have it.

Thanks for the offer.

Windows version
Activity: 43
Merit: 0

Thanks

blockchain is now about ~3GB , I have it.
legendary
Monero Evangelist
I would run such a service with a fair fee or even with no fee. I just need an NodeJS-coder to port/code it.
Like I said I have the shapeshift.io source code. Its working for BTC<->LTC, I need an coder to make it work for Monero.

All the rest to run the proejct I have (Monero domains, marketing know-how, servers, experience running hidden services, ...).

Obvious if choosen to run with small, fair fee, I would split earned fees with coder who made it work.
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085
Money often costs too much.

Mixed feelings. "The exchange rate shown is exactly what you'll receive, minus only the "miner fee."" is interesting in pointing out the difference on choosen set of POW mined coins.
Somehow the POS "miner fee" is missing inside that list.

And can XMR compete with "DRK Miner Fee: 0.003 DRK" for example? Summarises the "user experience" waiting patiently on a memory hog that needs aeons to sync (not the coin, this references a timespan  Cool ) then costing you a half day of mining on average desktop machine just for sending a single transaction. Which on the other hand then gets confirmed through the network even quicker then your fragile simplewallet/monerod combo is able to shutdown save to disk again. Time is money, too.

A geek might not recognize those issues. A let's name them customer would turn into a non-customer on that.

Second argument, pretty much of the crypto subculture is surrounding the exchange sites, their chat environment. The completely existing in limbo setup like "No emails or passwords. No lengthy sign­up process. No accounts. No bid and ask orders. No friction." is exactly lacking that friction. Geek advise: If you did not catched that, ask a woman.
legendary

Thanks
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
Activity: 212
Merit: 100
you can always use the easy way get on monerochat.comto join the freenode network.
it need a few updates but its fine for now, im working on a new design but aint got alot of freetime !

I am using HexChat-application. To connect to those Monero-channels, I need also "ServerAddress". Like this one, which is for linuxmintchat "irc.spotchat.org/6667".

So what is the serveraddress for the Monero-channels?

Try irc.freenode.net/6667

legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
Wow shapeshift looks very useful. It is such a good idea that I'm surprised nobody has done it yet.

edit: I emailed them and this was the reply:

You can expect Monero within a couple weeks, thanks for contacting us!

:clap:
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
Wow shapeshift looks very useful. It is such a good idea that I'm surprised nobody has done it yet.

edit: I emailed them and this was the reply:

You can expect Monero within a couple weeks, thanks for contacting us!
legendary
Monero Evangelist
I have the shapeshift.io source code. If someone wants it to help Monero, write me.

Use http://webchat.freenode.net/ to get on FreeNode IRC via Webbrowser.

From my knowledge Monero marketing is not encouraged at the moment. Devs want marketing to start after more/the most important fundamentals (GUI, RPC-API, ...) are developed.

Monero will not fail because of bad marketing. I know of multiple people with academic and professional marketing background in Monero community.
Activity: 644
Merit: 502
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
Jump to: