Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1268. (Read 4670643 times)

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
Question to core team members:
When writing text for Monero project, do I use American English or British English?

Opinions from non core members also appreciated.
Whatever you are the most comfortable with. I favour British English, but this is personal; I find it more elegant. The core team itself is equally-split between American English and British English speakers.
Activity: 65
Merit: 10
I'd prefer AE any time, BE rather suits schoolbooks.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288
About language. I dont think computer words of American English or English English differs much. If you plan to write of some technology that is older like tailoring, then might matter.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1131
British please.
American can sometimes sound like a slang.
!??!!! thought u 'r French

Yes I am but I used to live in London like many French nowadays.

The French learn British English.
Doesn't matter to me as long as it's well written.

Yes.
Activity: 173
Merit: 100
changed my signature for xmr
Activity: 198
Merit: 100
If you rephrase the question than you might find your answer.

Should I use american english or english english?

Actually it doesn't really matter.  The written versions of each are almost identical.  It's the spoken form that varies.  The dialects vary significantly in both the United States and Great Britain.  In the United States you have the South, Northeast, Midwest, Northwest.  Some of the same words sound different in each of those regions.  The same can be said about different regions of Great Britain.  The printed word is typically standard across all regions.

As long as you don't write Singlish, it's all fine.
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

Actually it doesn't really matter.  The written versions of each are almost identical.  It's the spoken form that varies.  The dialects vary significantly in both the United States and Great Britain.  In the United States you have the South, Northeast, Midwest, Northwest.  Some of the same words sound different in each of those regions.  The same can be said about different regions of Great Britain.  The printed word is typically standard across all regions.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1003
British please.

Ĉu vi parolas Esperanton?
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
British please.

legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085
Money often costs too much.
British please.

legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011
Monero Evangelist
Ok, I like this answer. Thank you.
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud
Use either as long as it is well written. This is a very international project. The core team itself is from several different countries, not to mention the independent contributors and users.
I don't like this answer. I would strongly prefer an official suggestion.

Maybe it's just my character and feelings, but I don't like this. I am a perfectionist. I really prefer an official recommendation. Thinking about mixed AE and BE spellings in official and non-official Monero docs make me very sad and feel bad.

Please consider an recommendation.

It's a recommendation--an before vowel sounds, a before consonant sounds. Language is constantly in flux and the rules are constantly in disagreement no matter what language you use, so just chose whatever and stick to it. Using one standard may bar you from using terms that are more useful or that will make communication more efficient. Or even leave one programmer more worried about word choice than the code they're writing. Perfectionism is your affliction, no reason to make the whole group suffer too.  Tongue
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Thats not a real reason to not use British English, of course most denominations are USD/BTC with the USD being the world reserve currency. Most other markets are denominated as so. You dont see much GBP/BTC parings as there isnt much demand to trade in that obviously but what does that have to do with using the correct language?

Why would you leave out everything in my quote besides that 1 point? My original statement was:

"
Obviously American English. The British have been hostile to cryptocurrencies thus far. How often do you see pound/BTC pairing?

--British banks won't deal with anyone related to cryptos.

"

You don't see the pound/BTC pairing mainly because British banks won't work with crypto exchanges so there is very limited ways to get pounds into crypto. With Britain being resistant to bitcoin and America accepting it....I think that is a pretty fair reason to write it in American English.

It honestly makes very little difference if you want to use 'z' or 's' etc, but that's my 2 cents.

That would be because as I said the fact that you don't see GBP/BTC should have any bearing on which version of English you use. There is not limited ways to get GBP into crypto as I and many of my associates have done without any problems.

It makes little difference of course but that as a reason to use AE just isn't a proper one IMO.
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
Use either as long as it is well written. This is a very international project. The core team itself is from several different countries, not to mention the independent contributors and users.

Maybe it's just my character and feelings, but I don't like this. I am a perfectionist. I really prefer an official recommendation. Thinking about mixed AE and BE spellings in official and non-official Monero docs make me very sad and feel bad.

we could use esperanto Wink
http://browse.dict.cc/esperanto-english/monero.html

i'd prefer be instead of ae; but my english sucks anyway...
what do you consider official? a whitepaper or documenation? the homepage itself? sourcecode comments?

it comes down to the point who is writing it for whom. longterm it makes sense to have multiple languages anyway as this is an international project
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011
Monero Evangelist

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
World Class Cryptonaire
When writing text for Monero project, do I use American English or British English?

How often do you see pound/BTC pairing?

Thats not a real reason to not use British English, of course most denominations are USD/BTC with the USD being the world reserve currency. Most other markets are denominated as so. You dont see much GBP/BTC parings as there isnt much demand to trade in that obviously but what does that have to do with using the correct language?

Why would you leave out everything in my quote besides that 1 point? My original statement was:

"
Obviously American English. The British have been hostile to cryptocurrencies thus far. How often do you see pound/BTC pairing?

--British banks won't deal with anyone related to cryptos.

"

You don't see the pound/BTC pairing mainly because British banks won't work with crypto exchanges so there is very limited ways to get pounds into crypto. With Britain being resistant to bitcoin and America accepting it....I think that is a pretty fair reason to write it in American English.

It honestly makes very little difference if you want to use 'z' or 's' etc, but that's my 2 cents.

legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002
Strange, yet attractive.
A brief question. I've downloaded the blockchain.bin from the first page together with the Monero Client .NET GUI. Is there a trick to force it to look up the downloaded database instead of redownloading the whole thing from scratch?
PS: I've followed the instructions and put it inside the %appdata%/Roaming/bitmonero as well as %appdata%/bitmonero but unfortunately, no cigar.

Thanks

Are you sure it was starting from scratch. The blockchain download is somewhat out of date so you will need to sync several weeks, but not the whole thing.

Once it is done syncing you should type save in the daemon window to update the blockchain file on your disk (normally this will happen every 12 hours).

I verified that it started from scratch. The files are located into %appdata%/Roaming/bitmonero (3 files: blockchain.bin, poolstate.bin, p2pstate.bin). I've put inside the blockchain.bin but unfortunately when started syncing started from 219 days behind. I stopped the client and restarted. The .net gui should save when closing down and it had the blockchain.bin reduced to some bytes from 2Gb...
Maybe I should put it into /temp or something...
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

Jump to: